kick it off

Sorensen Officially signs

Just listened to Connor Southwell, didn't realise Philip Billing was Danish, let alone that Huddersfield had also signed him from Esbjerg.

4 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I hope he does well. However, is anyone else a little underwhelmed by the youtube 'highlights'? Half of them were not even worth recording, let alone compiling into a 'best bits' compilation!

That’s the life of a defensive midfielder. He doesn’t get goals or assists so there isn’t going to be a flashy video of him doing so. 

The video posted above is a someone on YouTube ripping videos from WyScout - the scouting tool that most professional clubs use. These are the kind of video highlights pros look at when judging players. Who cares if he can whack one in from 30 yards by chance, the most important thing he needs to be able to do is get in position, win the ball and then pass to a team mate. That’s what the video shows him doing. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I hope he does well. However, is anyone else a little underwhelmed by the youtube 'highlights'? Half of them were not even worth recording, let alone compiling into a 'best bits' compilation!

Remember though, Mark Fotheringham looked like the Ronaldo in his YouTube clips so I shouldn’t worry too much!

16 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That’s the life of a defensive midfielder. He doesn’t get goals or assists so there isn’t going to be a flashy video of him doing so. 

The video posted above is a someone on YouTube ripping videos from WyScout - the scouting tool that most professional clubs use. These are the kind of video highlights pros look at when judging players. Who cares if he can whack one in from 30 yards by chance, the most important thing he needs to be able to do is get in position, win the ball and then pass to a team mate. That’s what the video shows him doing. 

Exactly this. Defensive midfielder is pretty much 90 minutes of blocking off runs, blocking off passes, get the ball where you can as an interception or tackle, then ideally move it quickly on to a more capable player who's in position to hurt the opposition. If the defensive midfielder has a nice turn of pace when dribbling or can ping one cross-field onto a winger's foot then that's a nice attacking Brucie bonus, but by definition defensive leg work is rarely eye-catching until too few in the team do it. Then everyone complains, usually about the defence.

I'd prefer to see him leaving one in a bit more often. There's always a lot to be said for a crunching but fair tackle that leaves the opponent in a heap.

56 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

No mention of a transfer fee and as from a less well known league

Like Daniel Agger, Peter Schmeichel, Jan Molby, Michael and Brian Laudrup?

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

the analytics community

I don't suppose you have any recommendations?

Thanks Googler, KIO.

I'm inexperienced on this type of diagram - but with my negative head on, the defending quantity (for a CDM) and ball retention ability look poor - is there context that I am missing?

56 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Like Daniel Agger, Peter Schmeichel, Jan Molby, Michael and Brian Laudrup?

Gosh you have a long memory

if he was any good , do you think he would be signing for Norwich , how many of them played for Norwich as they were top drawer players 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

100% agree with this, even if you put some highlights together of the best CDM in the world, it wouldn't be very exciting. 

Seems a good piece of business 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

if he was any good , do you think he would be signing for Norwich , how many of them played for Norwich as they were top drawer players 

One.

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks Googler, KIO.

I'm inexperienced on this type of diagram - but with my negative head on, the defending quantity (for a CDM) and ball retention ability look poor - is there context that I am missing?

The author of that tweet responded to someone asking about it;

"ball retention ability all about if his team keeps possession after he's been on the ball. May be that it's related to the team he's playing on not being great..

Defending quantity, isn't pressuring a lot, maybe more of a screening DM"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

Here's that graphic. Very interesting stuff. 

20200720_184749.jpg

What is the context re the numbers. Is it 94 out of a hundred?

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

What is the context re the numbers. Is it 94 out of a hundred?

Yes. Higher the score the better. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks Googler, KIO.

If you click on the tweet and read the thread below it there is some explanation.

It appears the Defending quantity refers to him being a screener, and the ball retention is whether the team kept hold of it after he played the pass (the context to that is he was playing in aa bottom of the league team)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Jan Molby did....

5 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

One played for Norwich actually 😜 As for the others, Agger wasn't that long ago, Schmeichel was born on exactly the same day as me and there probably hasn't been a set of twins as talented as the Laudrups-so all quite easy to remember for me really.

As for the "if he was any good, do you think he would be signing for Norwich" comment we have signed some good players such as Buendia, Krul and Pukki-all signed when we were in the Championship, as we will be next season.

Happy with this, something a bit different to what we have, and reasonably versatile, also need to get in a few bigger lads, we often seem a bit lightweight so good all round for me, now let’s see if he’s any good .

4 hours ago, WD40 said:

Agreed, Trybull must be off then

Why must? Tettey, Sorenson and cover,( trybul, who was decent last season). Managing a sauad is more complicated than one in , one out.  But im sure you already knew that , as its been explained on here countless times.

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Why must? Tettey, Sorenson and cover,( trybul, who was decent last season). Managing a sauad is more complicated than one in , one out.  But im sure you already knew that , as its been explained on here countless times.

I don’t think Sitti is here to play in the youth side. So you can certainly add him to the mix.👍

@wcorkcanary You’ll also notice Trybull hasn’t featured in the squad for many games and by some accounts is actually overseas right now away from the squad. My presumption is that he is in the same bucket as leitner, and this latest signing is his replacement.

Edited by WD40

24 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

No it isn't but we're now hugely well stocked in central midfield. If we stick with the same formation as this season youve got Vrancic, Leitner, Tettey, Trybull, McLean, Sitti, Sorenson and possibly Louis Thompson fighting for two spots in the starting xi. Id imagine a couple of those will be off.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

No it isn't but we're now hugely well stocked in central midfield. If we stick with the same formation as this season youve got Vrancic, Leitner, Tettey, Trybull, McLean, Sitti, Sorenson and possibly Louis Thompson fighting for two spots in the starting xi. Id imagine a couple of those will be off.

And perhaps Charlie Gilmour.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

Agreed, but Tom Trybul was the best of the rest at DM last season  after Tetso,so   may  be kept as cover, may not. Not necessarily  " must be off" which was the bit  that I was replying to. He may have bee  told to find another club or his mum might be  very Ill. We dont actually know. Unless of course someone  actually does know, which would settle it.