Uncle Fred

Stowmarket 2 and Nepotism Tom

It's been good to hear from Webber, I'd be interested to hear from Delia and MWJ if the record-breaking dire season has changed their outlook on external investment? The fact that it's been so bad does lend credence to those saying we're going backwards under their ownership. An awful lot of this season will end up in the history books for the wrong reasons, least player investment made, 5 home games without scoring, lowest points tally...they should count themselves lucky that we're only the 6th worst premier league team ever out of 500!

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

It's been good to hear from Webber, I'd be interested to hear from Delia and MWJ if the record-breaking dire season has changed their outlook on external investment? The fact that it's been so bad does lend credence to those saying we're going backwards under their ownership. An awful lot of this season will end up in the history books for the wrong reasons, least player investment made, 5 home games without scoring, lowest points tally...they should count themselves lucky that we're only the 6th worst premier league team ever out of 500!

Thing is, it doesn't lend much credence to it because people were saying the exact same thing after Farke's first season, and how we would struggle to compete with the likes of Ipswich.

The following season we went up as champions and Ipswich down to the third tier of English football.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Thing is, it doesn't lend much credence to it because people were saying the exact same thing after Farke's first season, and how we would struggle to compete with the likes of Ipswich.

The following season we went up as champions and Ipswich down to the third tier of English football.

What I mean Hoggy, is that the club's ambition it to be "top 26", so if we look at the EPL finishes under Delia and MWJ and plot each of the campaigns as a trend, are we learning and improving each time we stay up, making an extended stay in the "top 20" of the "top 26" more likely, or are we not really improving but not really getting worse, or are we underperforming when we go up? This season is the first time in the EPL we've finished dead last, to me that feels like it's therefore the worst of our EPL campaigns under Delia and MWJ, and then that's compounded by the record points low, the last goals scored etc, not to mention all the other records. For me, that feels like when we do manage to get promoted (which is the club's stated aim), we're getting worse at it. That failing falls at the ownership and the board. The trend is downwards, and if we fail to get promoted next season or miss out on top 26 then we'll be failing to meet the club's stated aims despite following the much-vaunted "model". We'll effectively be less competitive following the owner's strategy, that won't look good.

"Onwards and Upwards!".....

image.jpeg.1d3507911df9e1aaa217e1870d86068c.jpeg

"And then across and down a bit! - Then go up and left!...No no I mean Right!.....No Left!....Go Down!...Right Right!....Left Left!....No, Up Up Up!....Oh no, bl00dy bugga!.....We've been snaffled and it's bleedin' down we go again".....
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

What I mean Hoggy, is that the club's ambition it to be "top 26", so if we look at the EPL finishes under Delia and MWJ and plot each of the campaigns as a trend, are we learning and improving each time we stay up, making an extended stay in the "top 20" of the "top 26" more likely, or are we not really improving but not really getting worse, or are we underperforming when we go up? This season is the first time in the EPL we've finished dead last, to me that feels like it's therefore the worst of our EPL campaigns under Delia and MWJ, and then that's compounded by the record points low, the last goals scored etc, not to mention all the other records. For me, that feels like when we do manage to get promoted (which is the club's stated aim), we're getting worse at it. That failing falls at the ownership and the board. The trend is downwards, and if we fail to get promoted next season or miss out on top 26 then we'll be failing to meet the club's stated aims despite following the much-vaunted "model". We'll effectively be less competitive following the owner's strategy, that won't look good.

Sorry, I did misunderstand.

And for what it's worth, your post is a fair one.

I certainly agree this has been our worst 'on-the-pitch' premier league season, which is of course the most important aspect! I guess, rightly or wrongly, I'm looking at this 'project' within itself, on it's own merits. So i'm not judging against previous premier league campaigns yet. Within this project, I understand that this relegation was a likely factor to give us a more competitive budget longer-term and when (if) we next get promoted. Of course, it's easy for them to say that, we'd need to all see it. I also think we purposefully stuck with our younger players knowing that we would significantly increase their value and generate us more revenue for an increased transfer budget over the next few years.

I find it hard to judge everything as a trend like you're suggesting because our owners tend to be very hands-off and let the people they employ get on with the job they're qualified at doing. I think McNally's first mistake was trying to go for unrealistic targets in that summer, Koulibaly springs to mind - and persisting with them too long that we didn't get in any alternate options until January. Even then, had Klose stayed fit - then maybe? I don't know. 

3 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

would be good to hear from Mick Dennis the stowmarket 2’s official press spokesman 

I am surprised Archant haven’t tried to get a statement from them on the subject it is important in the current circumstances 

Now this is an interesting development.

On the "glorious day" we should all post in italics to honour the instigators of the revolution. 

3 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

would be good to hear from Mick Dennis the stowmarket 2’s official press spokesman 

I am surprised Archant haven’t tried to get a statement from them on the subject it is important in the current circumstances 

Oh dear Till. You’d been doing so well!

7 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

There are 3 things guaranteed in life, death, taxes and the Stowmarket 2 being visible when things are going well but disappear when we are doing badly,

Waveney, we know you've got an obsessive agenda against Delia and MWJ. They're not saints but you're being a bit unfair with this.

Following last season's promotion they were reluctant to get too involved with the celebrations on the pitch or subsequently in print or media interviews.

A little balance might be nice sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I don’t agree with this. Going backwards would surely be not getting to the premier league in the first place? Going down to league 1 and failing to bounce back.

if you’re going to use that as a metric for moving backwards then I’m sure we can find a way that just about every team in the land is. Except not Leeds this season, but if they finish 20th next year then that’s a terribly decline from 19th in 2004 and fans should surely be scratching their heads.

likewise I’m not over sure on the obsession with being the third team in PL history to lose 5 in a row at home, sure it’s terrible but the whole reason that’s so rare is because home form normally prevents it. That’s gone out of the window since football has returned (for all leagues) and the fact that we simply are the worst team this season means it was always a possibility.

you may not have mentioned it yourself but my favourite way of trying to describe Delia as a bad owner is her record for premier league relegations. Yet you never hear the same people

comment on just how successful she seems to be at getting out of the championship - the league we're about to go into.

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Waveney, we know you've got an obsessive agenda against Delia and MWJ. They're not saints but you're being a bit unfair with this.

Following last season's promotion they were reluctant to get too involved with the celebrations on the pitch or subsequently in print or media interviews.

There was an interview straight after the game with them! 

The "model" outlined by Webber requires us to improve our available budget by developing and selling on younger players. We must wait and see who is moved on this summer, bearing in mind what has already been said about keeping our "best" players - but I think everyone knows it is inevitable that 2 or 3 of them will go, and hopefully for big fees.

However, that model also suggests that we don't want to make a trading profit and then pay loads of tax, so assuming parachute PL money takes care of the wages next season it follows that anything generated should be reinvested in players. We seem to be shopping in a slightly bigger pond already.

Oh dear Matte-nr4.

Till is not Uncle Fred.

Just to correct uncle Fred is not Tilly 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The "model" outlined by Webber requires us to improve our available budget by developing and selling on younger players. We must wait and see who is moved on this summer, bearing in mind what has already been said about keeping our "best" players - but I think everyone knows it is inevitable that 2 or 3 of them will go, and hopefully for big fees.

However, that model also suggests that we don't want to make a trading profit and then pay loads of tax, so assuming parachute PL money takes care of the wages next season it follows that anything generated should be reinvested in players. We seem to be shopping in a slightly bigger pond already.

Norwich don’t want to make a trading profit because it means paying more taxes? So surplus monies will be reinvested in players. Let’s see about that one shall we. 

10 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

He might as well be. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Oh dear Matte-nr4.

Till is not Uncle Fred.

And maybe 'Matte-nr4'....Is probably just a pseudonym of a regular poster.....? 

44 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Shall we reserve judgement until City1st has decided whether you are me or me you ?

1 hour ago, Matte-nr4 said:

Oh dear Till. You’d been doing so well!

How do you know that as you have only been here an hour ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Exactly this ^^^ and too sensible for this forum!  The anti-club and project deniers won't like you saying it, but it is the plan in operation to a tee.

I've often just assumed yellow belly and Uncle Fred are the same people because they appear often in the same threads and follow on from each other. But maybe not.

Edited by sonyc

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Or back into the facilities as well as the players. I’m sure this year is the optimum time to build on the upgrades at Colney, anything needing improvement at the ground and as you say players. That’s why I’m confident we’ve already had the discussions with out going players and I’m sure there’s a few surprise signings coming in as well as those going out. You don’t pay tax on players so by spending more on youngsters with potential carry’s on this continues improvement, the like of McCullum and Sitti.

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Exactly this ^^^ and too sensible for this forum!  The anti-club and project deniers won't like you saying it, but it is the plan in operation to a tee.

Let’s see what happens at the close of the window. I will reserve judgement. But I don’t think we will be signing many world beaters. I bet you that we will buy a lot of names from abroad that nobody has ever heard of.. and cross our fingers that one player comes good. This is our model Lakey.

Edited by yellow_belly
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Let’s see what happens at the close of the window. I will reserve judgement. But I don’t think we will be signing many world beaters. I bet you that we will buy a lot of names from abroad that nobody has ever heard of.. and cross our fingers that one player comes good. This is our model Lakey.

With the home grown rules we need buy a few home international’s too. They always cost a lot more. But I’d be happy with a few youngsters from top flight teams.

38 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

🎶I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together 🎶😉

So you are also Walrus then Smithy ?

• Haha 1