Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

O/T Cowley Brothers Sacked at Huddersfield

Recommended Posts

'We have a different vision'

Cowley sacked by Huddersfield

In a statement, Huddersfield chairman Phil Hodgkinson said: "I would like to place my thanks on record to Danny and Nicky for their hard work and dedication towards securing the club’s place in the Championship for next season. That was the clear priority when they were appointed in September and we are very grateful that has been achieved.

"We all wish Danny and Nicky all the best for the future and they leave with my best wishes in their future endeavours.

"However, we have made this decision in the belief that, in the long term, it is in the best interests of the club as we move forward.

"We have a different vision for the way we operate the club, and how our ambitions can be achieved."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They must be mad. OK it may not be pretty but they were as good as down when the Cowleys took over. They should take a long hard look at what happened to Stoke and Ipswich when they decided to part company with managers who didn't do it the pretty way. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect they may be going back properly to the sporting director/head coach model they had to a large extent before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I suspect they may be going back properly to the sporting director/head coach model they had to a large extent before.

Didn't work for them though for their subsequent appointment post Wagner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to sack them, another to do it the day after they secured your club's position in the Championship. Classy. Not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been on one of their forums. Seems very mixed feelings but few echo the thoughts about the style of play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really surprised by this. I thought they had done a great job keeping them in the division. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could end up at Ipswich as rumours were that ITFC looked at them before getting Lambert. If Lambert gets 'released' I can see them there and they are far more likely to turn Ipswich round than Lambert. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I suspect they may be going back properly to the sporting director/head coach model they had to a large extent before.

That does seem to be the view from a few people who know a bit about the club. Cowleys want complete control of transfers, the club owner wants a Director of Football to do that. No point having a manager if they can't agree on a fundamental philosophy of the club.

With such a short turnaround from this season to the next clubs have to move early with sackings so managers are in place for pre-season (which begins in about 10 days).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

They could end up at Ipswich as rumours were that ITFC looked at them before getting Lambert. If Lambert gets 'released' I can see them there and they are far more likely to turn Ipswich round than Lambert. 

Do you really think their chairman will pay Lambert off? 

It will be interesting to see where they do go next. You'd assume another championship job? Bristol or M'boro maybe?

Or Pompey in L1 - think jackett's time is coming to an end according to some Pompey fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

They must be mad. OK it may not be pretty but they were as good as down when the Cowleys took over. They should take a long hard look at what happened to Stoke and Ipswich when they decided to part company with managers who didn't do it the pretty way. 

They were 6 games into the season in September! Nobody is 'as good as down' at that stage.

The model may have something to do with it but I also wonder if they expected them to do more with their time in charge than take them from 23rd to 19th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Hughton kept us in the prem, doesn’t mean we were all happy though

Hilarious 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yellow_belly said:

At one point the directors and this board talked up the Cowleys to become the future of this club...

image.jpeg.17fe81e6b22bb50f449144180bdfa3a4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 19/07/2020 at 14:08, Icecream Snow said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53464813

"Huddersfield, who went down from the Premier League last term, say they are "not seeking applications" for the job."

Must have a new candidate lined up already, but seems an odd time to sack them with one game to go, even though they're effectively safe.

image.png.899bfb8e54b3dce52559094b2509c738.png

The big worry for me looking at the bottom of the Championship table with one game to go is that teams on 50 points are not safe and 50 points might not be enough to keep you up this year.  If it's the same scenario next year I'm not confident that we will be comfortably clear of it.  In Farke's first season we finished on 60 points with a -11 goal difference.  Doing just a little worse than that, which is very plausible given what's transpired this season and how close we are to the start of next season, could see us in very real trouble.

Edited by norfolkbroadslim
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't we usually give our relegated manager until November to offer additional proof he is hopeless and his initial success was a fluke or unbelievably good luck in players he inherited?  It would be nice to think that when Farke goes we get somebody with Championship management experience and not another German reserve team coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for joining the forum today, had you thought about posting something positive at all ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Hadenuff said:

Don't we usually give our relegated manager until November to offer additional proof he is hopeless and his initial success was a fluke or unbelievably good luck in players he inherited?  It would be nice to think that when Farke goes we get somebody with Championship management experience and not another German reserve team coach.

Totally agree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

The big worry for me looking at the bottom of the Championship table with one game to go is that teams on 50 points are not safe and 50 points might not be enough to keep you up this year.  If it's the same scenario next year I'm not confident that we will be comfortably clear of it.  In Farke's first season we finished on 60 points with a -11 goal difference.  Doing just a little worse than that, which is very plausible given what's transpired this season and how close we are to the start of next season, could see us in very real trouble.

We've got a game left of a Premier League season, a close season likely to be full of comings and goings and don't even know who will be joining us from this league yet. Let's not get carried away with prophecies of doom just yet, shall we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

We've got a game left of a Premier League season, a close season likely to be full of comings and goings and don't even know who will be joining us from this league yet. Let's not get carried away with prophecies of doom just yet, shall we?

Don't make me laugh.  It's a very real concern.  The utter shambles of this season and the effect it will have on the whole club isn't going to be turned around in a few magical weeks.  Blink and the new season will be starting.

If there are indeed lots of comings and goings that is another factor in addition to the impact of this season that will make it very difficult to have a good season next season.  The manner in which we have been relegated coupled with lots of comings and goings is about as far from an ideal foundation to start a season you are hoping to mount a promotion challenge in as you could get.

There is something wrong at the club.  Something beyond just a lack of confidence.  Since lockdown something clearly isn't right.

I'm not prophesying anything.  Anyway, even if I was, I was 100% spot on with my prediction for this season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huddersfield are bonkers these two guys have turned it around and they will survive. They have a decent track record at lower league with Lincoln why not keep them going to build upon what they have achieved. Some clubs hit the reject button way too early,  careful what you wish for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone mentioned Wagner what ever happened to the next great one? Where is he now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Don't make me laugh.  It's a very real concern.  The utter shambles of this season and the effect it will have on the whole club isn't going to be turned around in a few magical weeks.  Blink and the new season will be starting.

If there are indeed lots of comings and goings that is another factor in addition to the impact of this season that will make it very difficult to have a good season next season.  The manner in which we have been relegated coupled with lots of comings and goings is about as far from an ideal foundation to start a season you are hoping to mount a promotion challenge in as you could get.

There is something wrong at the club.  Something beyond just a lack of confidence.  Since lockdown something clearly isn't right.

I'm not prophesying anything.  Anyway, even if I was, I was 100% spot on with my prediction for this season.

Of course you've made predictions, what else can you say by saying we could be in very real trouble? 

Good on you for making the most obvious prediction about this season that only you and three quarters of the rest of the country made, though. I'll be sure to come to you if I want to know my future.

We know absolutely nothing about next season yet. Anything could happen. If you want to make predictions of the future, go right ahead. To me, they are as valid as the raving looneys who stand around predicting 5G will infect us all and other rambling nonsense.

Edited by TheGoogler
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...