Sign in to follow this  
pete

Maybe light is ahead

After what has been a desperately disappointing season at last we have seen a spirited performance from what was looking a dispirited bunch.  Although a defeat and another one down to nine we produced a performance to be proud of.  The catalyst may be Zimmermann who has been sorely missed as a defender but also as a huge personality.

Now it is clear that Buendia has reached the end of the line, the petulant Argentinian obviously thinks he is better than he is.  Number two in PL assists however I doubt don't know how he got there has not impressed all season.  Hopefully someone will believe in these stats and pay £20m and take the risk of taking him on however I doubt it yesterdays actions will fade perhaps suited to Dirty Leeds.

Calls for Farke and many of this years under performing players to be sacked or let go are unnecessary, they are all under contract and must be paid to leave money we don't have and not budgeted for.  It ain't going to happen.  Dermic to stay unfortunately what anyone saw in him I cannot understand but he was cheap but has proved to be an obstacle for the promising Idah who must rightly be irked at being ignored.

Pukki going nowhere and looks to have lost it completely but unsaleable now, a liability unless the last 6 months is just a bad memory and he can get it back.  If not we are in serious trouble in the striking department.  Seems an unlikely hope a lot on Idah's young shoulders.

Maybe a light for next season from yesterday's back to the wall performance end of the line for some who are unsuited to the fight to come, good riddance to them. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Godrey and Zimmerman pairing looks like a breath of fresh air, what we have needed most this season 

Godfrey never looked comfortable with Klose

Zimmermann was key to the promotion season. Hanley and Zimmermann played well together too. Get Famewo in the mix for next season and we will be ok 

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Zimmermann was key to the promotion season. Hanley and Zimmermann played well together too. Get Famewo in the mix for next season and we will be ok 

If I recall, we conceded two goals per game in the Championship. 

27 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I never thought the centre backs were the big issue though.  I've always felt that our midfield just does not provide enough protection, especially with how forward thinking the full backs are.

Again, we’re he to stay, it’d be interesting to see Godfrey in that defensive midfield role. But that seems unlikely to happen with Farke. That one-dimensional thinking is Farke’s big problem and I fear will hurt us next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grando said:

Again, we’re he to stay, it’d be interesting to see Godfrey in that defensive midfield role. But that seems unlikely to happen with Farke. That one-dimensional thinking is Farke’s big problem and I fear will hurt us next season.

I think if you let Godfrey decide where he played, he would choose the midfield role you mentioned.

28 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I never thought the centre backs were the big issue though.  I've always felt that our midfield just does not provide enough protection, especially with how forward thinking the full backs are.

If you're part of a back four which consistently lets in two goals per game, surely you've got to have a good look at yourself first, not just point the finger at everyone else?

Edited by Number9

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

57 in 46 - around 1.2 a game.

Offload Klose if possible, bring in a solid CB and play Zimmerman plus one of New CB or Hanley. Play Godfrey as a box to box midfielder with Byram and Lewis/McCullum as full backs(Aarons sold?). 

2 hours ago, Number9 said:

It was actually an average of 1.2 goals per game (57 goals in 46 games). We scored an average of just over 2 goals per game, maybe that is where you are getting confused. Only Sheff Utd had a better goal difference in the whole league, plus 37 to our plus 36. Maybe that is the difference between the Champion and the Premier League?............

At the risk of jumping on the Godfrey DM bandwagon, I would have loved to have seen a fit squad being able to consistently pair Hanley and Zimmerman with the protection of Godfrey and Tettey this season. I genuinely don’t think we’d have shipped the same amount of goals.

all ifs and buts but if only we could see how an alternate reality would have panned out.

i think of them all, Godfrey is a phenomenal talent and probably is the one that still has a way to go to reach his full potential. If only it could be with us but I guess that’s the point of being self sustaining - we’ll rarely get to see any player reach their full potential. Sad in a way. 

If you're part of a back four which consistently lets in two goals per game, surely you've got to have a good look at yourself first, not just point the finger at everyone else?

I'm not saying the centre backs should be absolved of blame but conceding goals is not entirely the fault of them either.  As a team, we do not defend well.  We concede possession in dangerous areas that leave our defence exposed to the oppositions best players.  The midfield and full backs never seem alive to the reality that we are really vulnerable when we have the ball.  It seems when we have possession we are more likely to concede than we are to score.

I do think though that Watford's first goal at Carrow Road sums up City defensively.  Buendia messing around in our own defensive third, loses possession to Watford's most dangerous player who is instantly running at our defenders.  Defenders back off allowing him space and no one from our midfield even gets close either.

Godfrey playing in midfield?

How has nobody come up with this radical notion before now??

• Haha 1

Centre back wise our biggest issue are hardly any of them can stay fit other than Godfrey  who in my opinion should be in midfield 

Personally I'd like 2 new reliable centrebacks, with godfrey and tettey in midfield with vrancic or mcclean then hernandez Pukki buendia Cantwell rotated as a front 3.

I would sell aarons and Lewis,  neither offer either great defensive ability or assists, think they need the coaching from a top team to reach their potential. Next season I want us to be solid and  hard to score against and know if we score we have a great chance to win

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

57 in 46 - around 1.2 a game.

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

It was 1.24 per game 

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

It was actually an average of 1.2 goals per game (57 goals in 46 games). We scored an average of just over 2 goals per game, maybe that is where you are getting confused. Only Sheff Utd had a better goal difference in the whole league, plus 37 to our plus 36. Maybe that is the difference between the Champion and the Premier League?............

Thanks, I was thinking Premier League 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Godrey and Zimmerman pairing looks like a breath of fresh air, what we have needed most this season 

Godfrey never looked comfortable with Klose

Godfrey is the man we need as DM. Release him from CB. He can do well in front of the back 4

3 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

Hmmm looking at every set piece we’ve conceded I’d have to respectfully disagree 

Edited by valiant

Thanks, I was thinking Premier League 

Ah right, hard to judge this one when we have had no more than 2 fit cbs at any one time and we have had Amadou and Tettey playing there too

20 hours ago, valiant said:

Hmmm looking at every set piece we’ve conceded I’d have to respectfully disagree 

So we've only conceded from set pieces? We do not defend well as a team which is why we let so many goals in. I never said our CBs have covered themselves in glory just that it's not all their fault. 

Set pieces have been a problem since day 1 when Van **** was being marked by our tiny right back all the way to Watford where Dawson was being marked by a full back at a free kick. The centre backs are clearly standing where Farke is telling them at set pieces as we are employing a zonal system. If the CBs are where the manager wants them and the ball in completely takes them out of the equation, is it their fault or the way it's set up? 

So we let on 1.2 goals a season when we went up and our goals have dried up but we are going to bounce straight back? 

We need championship experience to add to the "might be great / might not be great" buys we currently are targeting and given we have "great" finances it should not be an issue.

I hope we replace Klose.