BroadstairsR

Backbone of next season.

Discounting all of those touted for transfers to better things ie. the young ones, who of the remainder would you like to see as necessary to form the backbone of the squad for next season's resurrection?

For me it's: (** = absolute essentials.)

GK:  Krul**. McGovern seems to go on forever and Oxborough/Mair will progress?  NO CHANGE.

FB: Byram. Know little of Heise or prospects. AN ADDITION OR TWO NEEDED?

CD: Zimmerman**, Hanley**, Klose. ADDITION NEEDED.

DF:  Trybull, Rupp and the evergreen Tettey unless he is given easy passage to his chosen field of retirement. MARQUEE SIGNING HERE.

AM: Hernandez**, Stiepperman, McClean. ADDITION NEEDED.

STR.  Pukki** Idah** ADDITION NEEDED.

Discard: Drmic (unlikely,) Leitner (pity, but something is amiss.)

There are many gaps waiting to be filled in by the more informed as this basic appraisal does not take into account either the youngsters bubbling under (Fawemno, Martin) nor the new signings already made.

But, hang onto the ** players as a minimum and I feel that we will have the basis of a decent squad for next season, with experience, character and togetherness on show. We have new signings, youngsters coming through and the existing young talent will likely not be sold en-masse.

It all portends well, but there is still some activity in the transfer market required and the team will need to hit the ground running to avoid the current discontent with the manager growing from a bout of hiccups into an uncontrollable outbreak of St. Vitus' dance. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Would love to see Zimmerman stay, looked like our best defender yesterday along with Godfrey-

Such a great partnership, it's clear Klose and Godfrey never clicked and Klose is past it now, seen fridges more mobile. Sad really, prior to his injury I would have claimed him to be our best.

Hernandez needs to stay, guy is only player with pace, and if cantwell and Buendi go we sure will need him. Also clearly loves this club and unlike certian other players I can name always seems to put an effort in and never lets his head drop

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Money tree needed please Delia no chance for investment in quality reinforcement young and untried going forward.

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

GK:  Krul**. McGovern seems to go on forever and Oxborough/Mair will progress?  NO CHANGE.

DF:  Trybull, Rupp and the evergreen Tettey unless he is given easy passage to his chosen field of retirement. MARQUEE SIGNING HERE.

Gk: agree.

FB: McCallum the Lewis replacement/back up? Additions needed to replace either/both of Aarons and Lewis if they go.

CB: Agreed (unless we keep Godfrey).

DM: Vrancic remains? Sitti already in. McClean can drop back here if needed. Doubt we’ll get a marquee signing here because I expect we’ll spend more on the attacking midfield replacements.... and in the championship, I’m not sure we do need a  marquee signing - I expect we’ll see one tidy player in (maybe two if Vrancic and Leitner both go).

AM: Sinani added. One other needed - possibly two if both Cantwell and Buendia both leave.

FW: Likely to keep Drmic. Possibly bring someone else in if Pukki leaves, otherwise go as we are.

As you say, decent start to the squad. A few additions needed (although most are dependent on who leaves). The big thing will be how we turn round the confidence and morale...

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Discounting all of those touted for transfers to better things ie. the young ones, who of the remainder would you like to see as necessary to form the backbone of the squad for next season's resurrection?

For me it's: (** = absolute essentials.)

There are many gaps waiting to be filled in by the more informed as this basic appraisal does not take into account either the youngsters bubbling under (Fawemno, Martin) nor the new signings already made.

But, hang onto the ** players as a minimum and I feel that we will have the basis of a decent squad for next season, with experience, character and togetherness on show. We have new signings, youngsters coming through and the existing young talent will likely not be sold en-masse.

It all portends well, but there is still some activity in the transfer market required and the team will need to hit the ground running to avoid the current discontent with the manager growing from a bout of hiccups into an uncontrollable outbreak of St. Vitus' dance. 

Do you not believe any of the new signings will be first teamers?

Big, aggressive, athletic b*****ds brought in at CD and DM please. We got muscled out of a few games in our promotion season and it has been emphasised even more at PL level how easily we get bullied.

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Do you not believe any of the new signings will be first teamers?

Probably yes.

If I gave the opposite impression then it was unintentional and reading back it seems that your point is valid. 

2 hours ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Big, aggressive, athletic b*****ds brought in at CD and DM please. We got muscled out of a few games in our promotion season and it has been emphasised even more at PL level how easily we get bullied.

If the players we have were trained to defend set pieces properly it would be a start.

You can't tell me that an intensive week with the back six being coached on set pieces isn't going to help.

Certainly would benefit the players putting the ball in too.

It's plain to see that this isn't being coached in training because there has been no sign of improvement over time. 

24 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Probably yes.

If I gave the opposite impression then it was unintentional and reading back it seems that your point is valid. 

I was thinking Sinani will be playing first team and was a bit bewildered as to why we have bought players, for higher values than what we usually spend, to sit in the U23s or go on loan 

19 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Backbone?

Well let's hope we have some next season because there's not been much this season

With respect.

Perhaps the time has come to be constructive as  the club, the players and the fans have had quite a bashing lately and we are where we are.

We can therefore look towards next season with positivity or take the easier route of perseverating with criticism.  I prefer the former.

24 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I was thinking Sinani will be playing first team and was a bit bewildered as to why we have bought players, for higher values than what we usually spend, to sit in the U23s or go on loan 

Yes.Sinani looks a ready made prospect.

The truth is that there has been so much going on inside and outside the world of football that I,and perhaps others, haven't quite registered with the transfer activity that Stuart Webber has overseen.

I have it in the back of my mind that this business has been fairly decent, but details have failed to stick.

Also, we always seem to be so very active with poaching promising youngsters from elsewhere, with a new boy from Sunderland probably on his way soon who's name, typically eludes me.

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

We were always gong to start increasing the talent pools in the youth teams more aggressively once we had some money in the bank, they see it as signing them before they become to expensive for us. One makes it, does well in the first team and then his fee pays for another crop of youngsters. That's the plan anyway.

Sinani screams low risk 'punt' to me. 23, free transfer, done well in a minor nation. Probably one for Farke to develop.

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes.Sinani looks a ready made prospect.

The truth is that there has been so much going on inside and outside the world of football that I,and perhaps others, haven't quite registered with the transfer activity that Stuart Webber has overseen.

I have it in the back of my mind that this business has been fairly decent, but details have failed to stick.

Also, we always seem to be so very active with poaching promising youngsters from elsewhere, with a new boy from Sunderland probably on his way soon who's name, typically eludes me.

Bali Mumby, that M Dennis is meant to be good too

im happy with the business and intrigued to see who is replacing our outgoing players now, as the coffers will certainly be boosted

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

We were always gong to start increasing the talent pools in the youth teams more aggressively once we had some money in the bank, they see it as signing them before they become to expensive for us. One makes it, does well in the first team and then his fee pays for another crop of youngsters. That's the plan anyway.

Sinani screams low risk 'punt' to me. 23, free transfer, done well in a minor nation. Probably one for Farke to develop.

There’s an article in the athletic about Sinani, they are on about him being deployed as a striker this coming season.

I get the youth thing and I am a regular follower of our U23s. I’m just worried that this coming season, there will be zero experience. I know we did it before, but it’s risky trying to get out of that terrible (but loveable) league!