Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Short memories

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Emotion is fine. I lose sets in tennis too, although I don't play as much as I used to, but I don't and never have got angry about it. If you recognise that getting angry didn't help, what was the point in gettng angry? (There's a good book called "The Inner Game of Tennis" - well worth a read, talks about this kind of thing, helped my tennis no end - and other things too!).

Watching Djokovic destroy Andy Murray a few times in finals with mind games was not pleasant to watch, especially as he was aware of the trauma Andy suffered as a child. Ruthless and he clearly enjoyed what he was doing.

Ive read an autobiography of Olympic Gold Medal USA sailor who quoted this very same book. He set about being at his boat first in the morning and last away. He wanted to get into the minds of the other sailors.

With this in mind, Farke, oft repeating the “we’re going to be relegated” is a negative statement and is the complete opposite to the “ Inner game” approach or mindset.

4 minutes ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

Watching Djokovic destroy Andy Murray a few times in finals with mind games was not pleasant to watch, especially as he was aware of the trauma Andy suffered as a child. Ruthless and he clearly enjoyed what he was doing.

Ive read an autobiography of Olympic Gold Medal USA sailor who quoted this very same book. He set about being at his boat first in the morning and last away. He wanted to get into the minds of the other sailors.

With this in mind, Farke, oft repeating the “we’re going to be relegated” is a negative statement and is the complete opposite to the “ Inner game” approach or mindset.

Farke has not been saying we are going to be relegated - not even before the West Ham match!  He has been saying all along how things are - that we are favourites for relegation, which is not the same thing.

The sensible mindset comes from believing that you can do better than what others might think you can do. After all, it is not what others think that matters when it comes to football, it is what you think that matters.

Instilling a mindset of "it can be done" is the idea - it is not overly positive - and it is not overly negative either - it takes the emotion out of it and allows the players to focus and concentrate without too many emotions one way or the other. 

It didn't work! But it worked last season and it should work next season when hopefully we have some fit defenders and hopefully no disruption to the season. This season has been a write off, it's not been all bad, but as Farke himself often says "it is what it is" - and that is straight from the Inner Game of Tennis.

37 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

But we have to read you positive nonsense?

Why is this all about you?

All the time? 

You are so self absorbed it's unreal. 

1. If I have to read other people's negative nonsense, then why should they not have to read my positive nonsense?

2. It's not about me, it's about our football club - and the balance is skewed when you look on here sometimes - and on social media generally. Shouting, anger and running the club down - and for what? It does no good, it doesn't help the club and it certainly doesn't make anything better. Balance is what is needed - more moderate voices and common sense to put the other side of the discussion, even if that gets shouted down too.

3. It's not all the time

4. I may be self absorbed, but I am more absorbed about why people are so set against the club and what it is trying to do.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Rubbish. We don't all lose it when the team does badly, sad, disappointed, but anger?  Not for me. 

I just wonder where the anger comes from. Genuine question. The emotions I feel are strong with disappointment and sadness, but there isn't the slightest bit of anger there.  The only time I get angry is when a decision goes against us wrongly - so refs, VAR etc or a player getting away with a bad tackle on us etc etc. 

So I would love to know why people are angry.  It seems to be different for different people. For some it's Farke, some it's Webber, for some it's DS/MJW, for some it's the players and for the most angry it is probably for all of them! 

....and to the person who says they spend £500-600 pounds following the team.....so do I. The few games I have been to this season have cost me at least that in tickets/travel/staying over costs.  

Oh I see, being disappointed and sad at our demise is acceptable, because that's how you feel. But not being annoyed, because that's not like you. So basically only the feelings you feel are valid, and anything which doesn't align with your personal experience should be preached out with unrelenting lectures. 

No wonder you end up in so many spats with some of the most level-headed and reasonably posters on here - you lack empathy.

For the record, I'm annoyed that we were so ill-prepared for our return, that we showed no fight or anything that I would like to see from the team I support. I'm annoyed that - for whatever reason - all the positive things about the team pre-lockdown have vanished completely.

So yes, our fall from grace has annoyed me - as well as feeling disappointed and saddened like you. 

Is that okay with you? 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

1. If I have to read other people's negative nonsense, then why should they not have to read my positive nonsense?

2. It's not about me, it's about our football club - and the balance is skewed when you look on here sometimes - and on social media generally. Shouting, anger and running the club down - and for what? It does no good, it doesn't help the club and it certainly doesn't make anything better. Balance is what is needed - more moderate voices and common sense to put the other side of the discussion, even if that gets shouted down too.

3. It's not all the time

4. I may be self absorbed, but I am more absorbed about why people are so set against the club and what it is trying to do.

Lakey I have decided that you are a tongue in cheek, wide up merchant! You can’t actually be real. So well done for hooking me with your silly posts.

But if you are actually ‘for real’ then have a listen to the match analysis after our first game of the season back in August 2019.

All said the same, “ naive, no plan B, will struggle if we continue like this, individual mistakes...” etc. This could have been taken from any post lockdown match. 

Did we learn? No

Did we change? No

Did we get in different players to help (we could have)? No

Did we improve? No

Did we do the same? Yes

did we get the same results / score lines? Yes

Did the analysis and Farke’s response continue to be the same? yes

(we may have just watched this game for 11 months and listened to the response / analysis!)

i could go on!

Have a listen, watch and reflect. Then come back with an honest analysis. Rather than your normal biased love letters. (Are you Nepotism Tom really?)

Ps. If it helps you can find the analysis here...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pundit+analysis+norwich+liverpool.aug+2019&source=lmns&tbm=vid&bih=622&biw=414&client=safari&prmd=nimv&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwiW-7W5jtvqAhVCZRoKHUjJDSwQ_AUoBHoECAAQBw#ip=1

Edited by yellow_belly

6 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Oh I see, being disappointed and sad at our demise is acceptable, because that's how you feel. But not being annoyed, because that's not like you. So basically only the feelings you feel are valid, and anything which doesn't align with your personal experience should be preached out with unrelenting lectures. 

No wonder you end up in so many spats with some of the most level-headed and reasonably posters on here - you lack empathy.

For the record, I'm annoyed that we were so ill-prepared for our return, that we showed no fight or anything that I would like to see from the team I support. I'm annoyed that - for whatever reason - all the positive things about the team pre-lockdown have vanished completely.

So yes, our fall from grace has annoyed me - as well as feeling disappointed and saddened like you. 

Is that okay with you? 

I understand that people get angry but it doesn't mean I lack empathy because I don't understand why they get angry in relation to the football. I hear it said "people are entitled to get angry" at the club doing badly and my reaction is "why?"

Your statement is that you are angry that we didn't show any fight and were ill prepared but of course there was fight, of course they were prepared. After lock down I saw a team that tried very hard, but with each passing match where we kept losing, the confidence of the players got less and less. There is no way imo that we would have had that losing streak if it had not been for lock down and the unceasing pressure of playing every three days. The cumulative effect of it all has been too much for the players to cope with, especially with a CB just back from injury who hadn't played for 18 months. So I see no reason to be angry, so in that case why is it unreasonable to question those that do feel anger?

And talking of empathy, if anything it is your lack of empathy that causes you to be angry at the club and your lack of empathy towards me for having the nerve to question people about it.

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I understand that people get angry but it doesn't mean I lack empathy because I don't understand why they get angry in relation to the football. I hear it said "people are entitled to get angry" at the club doing badly and my reaction is "why?"

Your statement is that you are angry that we didn't show any fight and were ill prepared but of course there was fight, of course they were prepared. After lock down I saw a team that tried very hard, but with each passing match where we kept losing, the confidence of the players got less and less. There is no way imo that we would have had that losing streak if it had not been for lock down and the unceasing pressure of playing every three days. The cumulative effect of it all has been too much for the players to cope with, especially with a CB just back from injury who hadn't played for 18 months. So I see no reason to be angry, so in that case why is it unreasonable to question those that do feel anger?

And talking of empathy, if anything it is your lack of empathy that causes you to be angry at the club and your lack of empathy towards me for having the nerve to question people about it.

I gave you my reasoning and you still don’t accept my feelings as valid and you even accuse me as the one who lacks empathy towards you?! Ask yourself, if you had the slightest bit of understanding or empathy for how the majority of fans felt, why on earth would you constantly be trying to smother people’s legitimate and reasonable concerns and feelings with your guff - angering the entire message board? Why don’t you just get that other people might see things a little differently to you?

I’ve said I want Farke to stay, I’ve said he deserves another chance, I’ve said I’ll be positive and hopeful again at the start of next season. I believe that is the consensus with our fan base right now, but it doesn’t change my mood for how let down I’ve felt by the players and coaching staff for how we have returned since lockdown.

What more do you want?

’’Your statement is that you are angry that we didn't show any fight and were ill prepared but of course there was fight, of course they were prepared. After lock down I saw a team that tried very hard, but with each passing match where we kept losing, the confidence of the players got less and less.’’

You are just making things up now. The first game back was Southampton, the worst performance of the season and the worst I’d seen from us since Colchester / Fulham. Please tell me how we were prepared for that game, and what fight we showed? The confidence didn’t become ‘less and less’ over time, we fell off an absolute cliff on the first game back you liar...

9 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

The first game back was Southampton, the worst performance of the season and the worst I’d seen from us since Colchester / Fulham. Please tell me how we were prepared for that game, and what fight we showed? The confidence didn’t become ‘less and less’ over time, we fell off an absolute cliff on the first game back you liar...

Have you actually seen how well Southampton have been playing since lockdown? The break obviously did them some good whereas the lockdown exacerbated our problems with Hanley out as well as Zimbo and the mountain we had to climb was that much steeper as a result, with Klose having to play every three days after not having played for 18 months and just one warm up game.

The Southampton game knocked us back, but it wasn't for want of trying - they were just better than us.

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't have a short memory LDC, I remember very clearly the day that you said we could finish 4th.

Ya da ya da. It was just a prediction thread and I wanted to be positive. Get over it.

16 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

The fact is that this is now totally rewritten and posters are relishing the howling and yowling and booing and demanding that they feel would have taken place rather than even considering that with a full crowd behind the team we could have fared better.

Lockdown and crowds are of little significance when you have failed to take a point when falling behind in 26 out of 37 games.

31 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Have you actually seen how well Southampton have been playing since lockdown?

Yes they are now the best team in the land and have been dubbed Sotonalona, so incredible have been their performances. And we have absolutely no record of being at all competitive with any of the top sides this season do we? Not against Man City where we won, Liverpool home and away where we gave a great account of ourselves, Chelsea at home, Spurs who we should’ve beat twice etc etc etc. 

But we simply must roll over and surrender to the immeasurable force of South cunting hampton... it was all we could expect on that first game back.

Well, I for one welcome our new overlords. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

3. It's not all the time

1. Because after the season we've had, the negative nonesense is much closer to actual reality than your unsubstantiated guff. 

2. It is.

3. Holy jesus christ, it really is, pre-match, post-match, mid-week, think you even dropped a 'in-play' post this week.

4. No maybe about it, you are.

Edited by CDMullins

21 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But we simply must roll over and surrender to the immeasurable force of South cunting hampton... it was all we could expect on that first game back.

Well, I for one welcome our new overlords. 

Hello HsS,

"South cunting hampton... "

I nearly fell off my chair reading that! I must use 'cunting' more myself. 👍

There's no point in trying to discuss anything with Lakey. He's egocentric. Or a troll. It's difficult to tell which some days. You'd get a more reasoned debate with a cardboard box.

OTBC

• Like 1

I for up am totally fed up of your sanctimonious drivel LDC. It's been a pathetic campaign, people are fed up, angry, disappointed, frustrated, the entire range of negative emotions and they should be allowed to vent their spleens and anguish, that's the point of these online message boards. It's much healthier after all, to get it out in the open, let it explode now when it means nothing rather than bottle it up ready to burst if we underperform in the opening game next season. I'm glad a lot of our fanbase is angry, it shows passion and connection with the club, when we're doing badly people should be disappointed, it should prompt calls for improvement. It's the pathetic acceptance of dismal performances and below-par club operations (recruitment, management etc) that leads to our failings.

20 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Hello HsS,

"South cunting hampton... "

I nearly fell off my chair reading that! I must use 'cunting' more myself. 👍

There's no point in trying to discuss anything with Lakey. He's egocentric. Or a troll. It's difficult to tell which some days. You'd get a more reasoned debate with a cardboard box.

OTBC

Glad you enjoyed it! Must say, all credit to the poster who used it in another thread recently - alas I forget who it was now.

Unsure how that one can get through the filter whereas others like p**s get blotted out, I suggest we make of using it while we can.

And yes don't worry I know all about L ******* DC...

21 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I'm glad a lot of our fanbase is angry, it shows passion and connection with the club, when we're doing badly people should be disappointed, it should prompt calls for improvement. It's the pathetic acceptance of dismal performances and below-par club operations (recruitment, management etc) that leads to our failings.

Anger solves nothing - and imo doesn't show connection to the club - if anything it shows the opposite. Yes people are disappointed, we all are, we are passionate as fans, but why anger?  Do people really thing the players weren't trying? Do people really think the owners and Webber didn't do their best to get the best players in they could for the money available? Do people really think that manager's performance has been under par when the resources were so low compared to other clubs and also having to work with a lack of defenders due to injury?  Do people really think the lockdown/restart didn't affect the bottom teams worse than those above?

If people could respond without anger or abuse, it would be ******* well appreciated 😉. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Anger solves nothing - and imo doesn't show connection to the club - if anything it shows the opposite. Yes people are disappointed, we all are, we are passionate as fans, but why anger?

I think anger is a natural, human reaction to embarrassment/humiliation. If thr embarrassment is caused by ‘self’ one may feel shame, but if that’s caused by another there is a natural tendency to lash out as anger.

I feel embarrassed to be honest. Look at the way other fans are talking about us. “How did these lot best Sheff United to the championship”, “How is this a Premier league team” and so on and so on...

There are mitigating factors for sure, but no one outside the fan base can see that. 

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Anger solves nothing - and imo doesn't show connection to the club - if anything it shows the opposite. Yes people are disappointed, we all are, we are passionate as fans, but why anger?  Do people really thing the players weren't trying? Do people really think the owners and Webber didn't do their best to get the best players in they could for the money available? Do people really think that manager's performance has been under par when the resources were so low compared to other clubs and also having to work with a lack of defenders due to injury?  Do people really think the lockdown/restart didn't affect the bottom teams worse than those above?

If people could respond without anger or abuse, it would be ******* well appreciated 😉. Thank you.

YES

YES I think the players were under motivated and going through the motions

YES I think we could have signed many better players than Duda and Amadou and we could have used more of our resources and not have risked total meltdown 

YES I think the mangers performance has be shockingly bad. Hes failed to motivate, failed to organise, failed to adapt, failed to adjust, failed to admit his failings, failed to identify poor performers and change them, failed to realise the zonal marking system has NEVER worked under his tenure. HE HAS FAILED TO STOP THE UTTER EMBARRASSMENT OF OUR WORST EVER TOP FLIGHT SEASON AND ONE OF THE WORST IN FOOTBALLING HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE.

So yes I for one am a tad miffed.

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Yes they are now the best team in the land and have been dubbed Sotonalona, so incredible have been their performances. And we have absolutely no record of being at all competitive with any of the top sides this season do we? Not against Man City where we won, Liverpool home and away where we gave a great account of ourselves, Chelsea at home, Spurs who we should’ve beat twice etc etc etc. But we simply must roll over and surrender to the immeasurable force of South cunting hampton... it was all we could expect on that first game back. Well, I for one welcome our new overlords. 

Southampton have been a force to be reckoned since they were rocked back with that 0-9 especially with Ings being pretty much the hottest striker in the land - and on the day we were not as good as them. No rolling over was done, no surrender happened - they were simply better than us in the first game of the "new world" of closed door stadiums - and in hindsight for those first games on that day, it was clear that away teams fared much better as a result of that lack of fans.  It caught us out, knocked us back and the uphill struggle became much steeper as a result. Even so we were better against Everton and even at Arsenal until two mistakes ruined it. Overall though it has been like watching a pack of cards fall - pretty much everything has been against us.  No disgrace imo. Anger? Well if that's what you want to feel, but really circumstances have done for us this season and no amount of anger is going to help that. 

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Emotion is fine. I lose sets in tennis too, although I don't play as much as I used to, but I don't and never have got angry about it. If you recognise that getting angry didn't help, what was the point in gettng angry? (There's a good book called "The Inner Game of Tennis" - well worth a read, talks about this kind of thing, helped my tennis no end - and other things too!).

Yeah I get the whole controlling emotions aspect and of course, so much of tennis is in the mind. My point was more that not everyone can just 'decide' not to have an emotion because it doesn't benefit them or anyone else.

10 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

YES

YES I think the players were under motivated and going through the motions

YES I think we could have signed many better players than Duda and Amadou and we could have used more of our resources and not have risked total meltdown 

YES I think the mangers performance has be shockingly bad. Hes failed to motivate, failed to organise, failed to adapt, failed to adjust, failed to admit his failings, failed to identify poor performers and change them, failed to realise the zonal marking system has NEVER worked under his tenure. HE HAS FAILED TO STOP THE UTTER EMBARRASSMENT OF OUR WORST EVER TOP FLIGHT SEASON AND ONE OF THE WORST IN FOOTBALLING HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE.

So yes I for one am a tad miffed.

It's ok though, you hide it well

44 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Glad you enjoyed it! Must say, all credit to the poster who used it in another thread recently - alas I forget who it was now.

Unsure how that one can get through the filter whereas others like p**s get blotted out, I suggest we make of using it while we can.

And yes don't worry I know all about L ******* DC...

Penis works as well.

Just call people a penis. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Lockdown and crowds are of little significance when you have failed to take a point when falling behind in 26 out of 37 games.

Careful now. Smiffy will say you're spinning and riddling. Lockdown and no crowds are only significant for the games where there were no crowds due to lockdown.

Unless someone saw it coming in the previous games. You never know. I would not be over surprised if someone claimed that...

Ya da ya da. It was just a prediction thread and I wanted to be positive. Get over it.

No it wasn’t it was a thread about how we stop Raheem Sterling which you totally hijacked. You not only said that you also stated we should be angry if we lost a game an only wins were acceptable. You just change what you say to go with that week. 
If you think we forget when you are so rude to many of us you are wrong.

Can you lot move on, I’m fed up having to read through in case you said something interesting. What’s done is done, let’s start talking about next season 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Well b back said:
3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No it wasn’t it was a thread about how we stop Raheem Sterling which you totally hijacked. You not only said that you also stated we should be angry if we lost a game an only wins were acceptable. You just change what you say to go with that week. 
If you think we forget when you are so rude to many of us you are wrong.

I'm not goint to argue with you, but I put 4th in the prediction thread then someone else brought it up in the Sterling thread and I tried to explain that it is better to aim high than to aim low. I still think that.

And for that matter, I never said we should be angry at defeats, only that it was disappointing if we lose and that it is not ok to write off a match before it has happened.  I never said anything about anger at all.

Edited by lake district canary

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm not goint to argue with you, but I put 4th in the prediction thread then someone else brought it up in the Sterling thread and I tried to explain that it is better to aim high than to aim low. I still think that. 

So then should we be aiming for 'top 22' instead of ' top 26'?

Anger solves nothing - and imo doesn't show connection to the club - if anything it shows the opposite.

I've also been angry at family members and friends in the past, does that mean I have no connection to them either?

Do people really thing the players weren't trying? Do people really think the owners and Webber didn't do their best to get the best players in they could for the money available? Do people really think that manager's performance has been under par when the resources were so low compared to other clubs and also having to work with a lack of defenders due to injury? 

I don't think the players were prepared to 100% the best they could play, they were neither physically or mentally able for the fight. Whether that is because some players' heads have turned, because Farke did not train them enough physically or because they were not set up mentally to cope makes no difference - but something went badly wrong.

Even factoring in all your excuses about no crowds, a couple of important injuries etc - the post lockdown performances have been far below the sum of our parts. Do you not agree?

It is not even close to the best this team could perform, that is why people are upset. The fact we can't even say 'well at least we gave it a go, at least we put up a fight' - the majority of the fanbase were pretty happy with the season prior to lockdown - myself included! I was cursing our unfortunate injuries, bad luck in games and rotten VAR decisions - but none of that stands to justify the complete and utter mess our run-in has been.

Do people really think the lockdown/restart didn't affect the bottom teams worse than those above?

Literally not at all, more lies...

West Ham - L W D L W W - 10 points. Including games v Chelsea and Spurs

Watford - L L L W W L -  6 points. One game against Chelsea

Bournemouth - L L D W L L  - 4 points. Games against Man U, Man City, Leicester and Spurs

Aston Villa - D L L L W D - 5 points. Only lost to Man U, Liverpool and Wolves

Norwich - L L L L L L - 0 points. Chelsea and Arsenal played away.

So pretty much all the other teams went as expected, or even improved?

Any other nonsense excuses?

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 15:27, lake district canary said:

Imo the PL is overated with two teams dominating, the rest are there to get points off - so pushing towards the top for me. Actually, for me anything below 10th would be a disappointment - I think we are going to be better than quite a few clubs, so I'll say 4th, pushing 3rd. 

Southampton have been a force to be reckoned since they were rocked back with that 0-9 especially with Ings being pretty much the hottest striker in the land

Hard to believe its the same person.

'Anything below 10th place would be a disappointment', who are you disappointed with then Lakey? We've clearly massively underachieved this season in your eyes.