Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Short memories

Oh how the fickleness of fans shows up time and time again. So we have a poor season for many different reasons and it's the same old......sack the manager, the manager should resign, get someone else in......this only after he had given us one of the best seasons ever known, actually still fresh in the memory.  So I could list all the reasons why we have done poorly this season and yes, I would have some criticisms of the manager within that, but lets get real - he has not had the best of luck - first the injuries to someone who was our main talisman last season - Cristophe Zimmermann.  The man is an inspiration on the pitch, his interceptions and last ditch challenges last season were so important in saving goals and he cannot be physically bullied while defending.  And once the season stopped, it ceased to be a proper season any more. If it had been allowed to have been restarted with fans in, then ok, fair dos, but the last few weeks has been a kind of shadow of what football should be.

Short memories - a good run in the fa cup - even in the 1/4 final we put up a strong showing (just three weeks ago), the Spurs match in the cup we were excellent - a win against Leicester, a draw at home which should have been a win against Spurs in the league but for probably the most ridiculous VAR decision of the season. The away match against Everton.  So some good stuff this season. Not good enough, but that's life sometimes - everything went for us last season - the opposite has happened this season, again, that's life.

So when you have stopped being angry, you might find that underneath it all, we are still a good club, with good facilities, a good coaching team, a good manager and good sporting director and owners who love the club and who hold it all together in the family style that has helped so many players feel at home in Norwich, young and not so young.

Now we regroup, settle down again, get the squad right physically and mentally for the next challenge. I really hope Daniel still feels loved and wanted by at least most fans, because he deserves it after such a horrible season of injuries and disruption with the pandemic. He will love it when the fans are back and he can see the yellow wall - and fans will be so happy to be back too - a kind of celebration together of getting through the bad times and on to something fresh. Wipe your tears away, let your anger go, pick up your toys and put them back in the pram, we are still a good club, with good players and a good manager. 

We've all missed seeing a full CR whether it's me in my armchair when I can't get to games, or whether it's someone who normally goes every week....we need to ride this out, see it through and look forward to better times. For a Norwich supporter, this has been awful time, but it's a false situation - the panemic has made it so - the real thing starts when a season can take place within a normal time frame, normal substitutes routine - and with fit players, even if it has to be without fans for a while.

OTBC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I can't agree with you. Saying we have short memories and pointing at random positives while making excuses about the pandemic is all fine, but it lacks a sense of reality.

The reality is we've not been good enough. The team and the staff deserve their criticisms. 

Past achievements will only take you so far. You can just ask any Ipswich fan.

Edited by TheGoogler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with most of this. Painful as it is, especially with Leeds getting promoted but we can all think back to those other times of relegation from the prem but this time for me it feels different. There’s actually a plan in terms of youth development, incoming players, a united team in Farke and Webber. The good times will come again next season and the feelings of now will be forgotten, just like those felt at previous relegations. It will be good to see us competitive again next season, attacking teams and getting our rewards. 

Farke is learning and developing all the time- recruitment was wrong in the summer, for example  they didn’t appreciate the need for more combative and pacey central And wide midfield players and to be more compact and solid, accepting that we need players who are better without the ball than on the ball (like we were in the championship)

from the rumoured incoming signings and who we suspect will leave the club it appears like they are addressing these shortcomings in the squad 

• Like 2

Short memories are better than short tempers.

If you cannot moan about a bad season then you can't rejoice about a good one. The two go hand in hand.

Its just how you moan that matters.

• Like 1

I have seen many relegations and can accept that. What I find harder is the manner. The pandemic was the same for every team. We had, on paper,  winnable games against rivals and some with little to play for. We have been genuinely embarrassing and abysmal on all levels from that first game of the restart with the exception of one or two players. It is not being fickle, it is commenting on what we have seen before us  and the nation,  for a month.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Short memories - a good run in the fa cup - even in the 1/4 final we put up a strong showing (just three weeks ago), the Spurs match in the cup we were excellent - a win against Leicester, a draw at home which should have been a win against Spurs in the league but for probably the most ridiculous VAR decision of the season. The away match against Everton. 

Hello Lakey,

You seem to be talking about a lot of stuff that happened in the past here - but I thought the past wasn't relevant/important? That's what you've been saying to everyone and anyone during the last few weeks. Now you need it to support your latest lectur... sorry, opinion piece, it's OK to mention it again? Good stuff... 🙄

Maybe you should stick to critiquing player's hair cuts - any thoughts on Zimmermanns? I thought he looked smashing. 🤩

OTBC

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tumbleweed said:

I have seen many relegations and can accept that. What I find harder is the manner. The pandemic was the same for every team. We had, on paper,  winnable games against rivals and some with little to play for. We have been genuinely embarrassing and abysmal on all levels from that first game of the restart with the exception of one or two players. It is not being fickle, it is commenting on what we have seen before us  and the nation,  for a month.

For some reason it hit Norwich harder than most, the main one being we just weren’t good enough. 

Just accept the fact it was a step too far too quickly and there are many players, coaching staff and otherwise for whom top level football isn't for them just yet if ever.

The important thing is we don't make excuses, but learn from our mistakes and put them right, and don't make the same mistakes again.

• Like 1

I’m satisfied that we gave it a shot till January, but the reality we didn’t strengthen in the right areas, the lockdown didn’t help but that was the same for all teams.

What everyone should be upset with, is the poor record breaking results, poor tactics by Farke, poor selection by Farke, poor changes by Farke and the severe lack of effort or fight from our players.

It’s good to get season over with, it’s good to have isolated the new signings away from this negative process and it’s good to get coffers in the bank.

Now we need to accept we go again with Farke & Webber, there will no doubt be a few player sales with profit in the bank.

But no one today should be lectured yet again by the resident preacher! Fickleness is a fan who complains Man City didn’t win the league, not a city fan watching a record breaking **** poor effort!

I've been able to watch most of City's games since the restart and I can't believe that in a few weeks time everything will just click into place and they'll be winning every game and will walk the league.

Don't really know how I feel about it all. I have felt very detached since the lockdown. In my heart I still feel as supporters we could have affected things. Although even during the season proper I felt the influence of supporters being taken away through the implementation of VAR. All things considered the "supporter experience" should be a better one in the champs. Even though we will want to win it and get back to the PL. And that's the paradox.

Apart from the financials of the premier league, I am struggling to take any positives from this season. There really isn't - however some want to dress it up. Poor in every single aspect. What makes it worse is Leeds coming the other way and knowing that they will in all liklihood have the ownership and importantly mindset that will give the premier league a shot in the way ours never would. Hurts but it's true. Maybe in hindsight there will be positives to take, but at the moment I can't see this season as anything other than an embarrassment on every level. We deserved to go down (with a relegation mindset through the club before we kicked a ball) and won't be returning any time soon. Will struggle to make top half championship next season in my opinion.... But will be told its all part of the 'project' blah blah. 

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Leeds! Spent 16 years social distanced from the PL but are suddenly all that!

I know I know. Not saying that... I can't stand them. But I just can see that 12 months from now their management/ownership will have allowed themselves to make such a hash up of their return to the PL, as we have this year. I hope I'm wrong, I really do! 

When we look back at this season in 10 years do you think we’ll remember and blame the injuries, a couple of dodgy VAR decisions and the enforced break? Or will we just look at the stats, worst points return, only 3rd club in history to lose 5 home games in a row without scoring etc and think “wow we were really crap that year”?

I’d love to forgive all the sins of this season because we won the Champs last season, but that doesn’t help us now. As of this moment we’re the worst team in the EPL, the 6th worst team EVER to be relegated, and in just a few short weeks the majority of our fan base believe that this team is going to shoot out of the traps and smash the Champs at a canter! 

3 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

This LDC character is a joke account right? 

No, he isn't. Sometimes misunderstood, treads on a few toes and not afraid to do so, sometimes a bit stupid, sometimes wrong, sometimes right, often just wants to see people find positives rather than always look for negatives, but not a joke. Supporting NCFC is a serious business to me, unlike some for who it is a bit of a laugh, a sideline or something they don't really value, or even just something where they feel they can vent their spleens over.  The club is a family club, the players and their wives become part of that family, the fans who relate to that feel part of that family - and the ones that don't feel that are probably a bit envious of those who do. 

Overall though, I love the club and the fact that it has been such an important part of my life since I can remember, probably about the age of 6. It doesn't matter where I've lived, worked, travelled, loved, lost love, won it again or whatever - NCFC has been a constant in my life and I am so grateful for it and I do not like seeing it belittled by people who pretend to care about it but don't really - and who shout and complain about it anyway. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

No, he isn't. Sometimes misunderstood, treads on a few toes and not afraid to do so, sometimes a bit stupid, sometimes wrong, sometimes right, often just wants to see people find positives rather than always look for negatives, but not a joke. Supporting NCFC is a serious business to me, unlike some for who it is a bit of a laugh, a sideline or something they don't really value, or even just something where they feel they can vent their spleens over.  The club is a family club, the players and their wives become part of that family, the fans who relate to that feel part of that family - and the ones that don't feel that are probably a bit envious of those who do. 

Overall though, I love the club and the fact that it has been such an important part of my life since I can remember, probably about the age of 6. It doesn't matter where I've lived, worked, travelled, loved, lost love, won it again or whatever - NCFC has been a constant in my life and I am so grateful for it and I do not like seeing it belittled by people who pretend to care about it but don't really - and who shout and complain about it anyway. 

No one would argue with most of that. 

35 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

When we look back at this season in 10 years do you think we’ll remember and blame the injuries, a couple of dodgy VAR decisions and the enforced break? Or will we just look at the stats, worst points return, only 3rd club in history to lose 5 home games in a row without scoring etc and think “wow we were really crap that year”?

I’d love to forgive all the sins of this season because we won the Champs last season, but that doesn’t help us now. As of this moment we’re the worst team in the EPL, the 6th worst team EVER to be relegated, and in just a few short weeks the majority of our fan base believe that this team is going to shoot out of the traps and smash the Champs at a canter! 

If I live another 10 years, 20 years or 30 years I will remember it as the season I couldn't go. I've now seen 9 promotions and 9 relegations, but only one season where I couldn't go.

I suppose there could be a future quiz question.

How did the team get on without you?

They didn't cope very well and got relegated

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Oh how the fickleness of fans shows up time and time again. So we have a poor season for many different reasons and it's the same old......sack the manager, the manager should resign, get someone else in......this only after he had given us one of the best seasons ever known, actually still fresh in the memory.  So I could list all the reasons why we have done poorly this season and yes, I would have some criticisms of the manager within that, but lets get real - he has not had the best of luck - first the injuries to someone who was our main talisman last season - Cristophe Zimmermann.  The man is an inspiration on the pitch, his interceptions and last ditch challenges last season were so important in saving goals and he cannot be physically bullied while defending.  And once the season stopped, it ceased to be a proper season any more. If it had been allowed to have been restarted with fans in, then ok, fair dos, but the last few weeks has been a kind of shadow of what football should be.

Short memories - a good run in the fa cup - even in the 1/4 final we put up a strong showing (just three weeks ago), the Spurs match in the cup we were excellent - a win against Leicester, a draw at home which should have been a win against Spurs in the league but for probably the most ridiculous VAR decision of the season. The away match against Everton.  So some good stuff this season. Not good enough, but that's life sometimes - everything went for us last season - the opposite has happened this season, again, that's life.

So when you have stopped being angry, you might find that underneath it all, we are still a good club, with good facilities, a good coaching team, a good manager and good sporting director and owners who love the club and who hold it all together in the family style that has helped so many players feel at home in Norwich, young and not so young.

Now we regroup, settle down again, get the squad right physically and mentally for the next challenge. I really hope Daniel still feels loved and wanted by at least most fans, because he deserves it after such a horrible season of injuries and disruption with the pandemic. He will love it when the fans are back and he can see the yellow wall - and fans will be so happy to be back too - a kind of celebration together of getting through the bad times and on to something fresh. Wipe your tears away, let your anger go, pick up your toys and put them back in the pram, we are still a good club, with good players and a good manager. 

We've all missed seeing a full CR whether it's me in my armchair when I can't get to games, or whether it's someone who normally goes every week....we need to ride this out, see it through and look forward to better times. For a Norwich supporter, this has been awful time, but it's a false situation - the panemic has made it so - the real thing starts when a season can take place within a normal time frame, normal substitutes routine - and with fit players, even if it has to be without fans for a while.

OTBC

On 15/07/2020 at 19:18, lake district canary said:

uneccessary and a bit self-indulgent

Let's be honest, our squad with the exception of the young players and the older heads is mainly made up of journeymen who had the season of their life last year.  We found out this season that a lot of them are not good enough for the PL.  Not trying to be harsh, it's just the reality of the situation as I see it. I think they earned the chance to see if they could cut it in the PL.  Many of them couldn't so now we know who needs replacing if we ever return.

As for Farke, for me he still is in the black and deserves the chance at another go in the Championship.  Lets not forget this is really only his 3rd season as a manager.  I just hope he learns some lessons from this season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

Let's be honest, our squad with the exception of the young players and the older heads is mainly made up of journeymen who had the season of their life last year.  We found out this season that a lot of them are not good enough for the PL.  Not trying to be harsh, it's just the reality of the situation as I see it. I think they earned the chance to see if they could cut it in the PL.  Many of them couldn't so now we know who needs replacing if we ever return.

As for Farke, for me he still is in the black and deserves the chance at another go in the Championship.  Lets not forget this is really only his 3rd season as a manager.  I just hope he learns some lessons from this season

What lessons can you see that he's learnt from last season perhaps?

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I also love the club and have done so for the last 50 years, following them home (season ticket for a good many seasons) and away (fortunately frequently enough to put me in the guaranteed ticket bracket).  I also hate to see people belittling our club.  Those I particularly don’t like to see belittling us are those on the inside who show it through their actions or inactions, including the squad that are no longer prepared to play as a team, the manager who quite clearly has had a disastrous season, and the Board who seem content to follow their “little old Norwich” strategy of self-sustainability whilst seemingly discouraging any possibility of external investment.  That’s what I call belittling the club.

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Don't really know how I feel about it all. I have felt very detached since the lockdown. In my heart I still feel as supporters we could have affected things. Although even during the season proper I felt the influence of supporters being taken away through the implementation of VAR. All things considered the "supporter experience" should be a better one in the champs. Even though we will want to win it and get back to the PL. And that's the paradox.

Agree with this.

I’ve watched all the games since the restart and it feels almost as if I’m watching something else. The crowd definitely does make a difference but I’m not sure it would have made that much in improving this wretched run. I think we would have still been bad enough for the crowd to have got on their backs creating a toxic atmosphere. At least the unpleasantness has been mainly confined to keyboards, a small plus perhaps.

VAR hasn’t been great. Set up with the best of intentions it’s not had a fantastic debut and it’ll be a relief to leave it behind.

It’s going to be hard next term. There won’t be decent crowds for some months, if at all, so we may have to get used to echoey grounds which we were able to leave behind some years ago.

Supporters of all clubs and their players dream of being in the Premier League but these days it’s usually a joyless grind for outfits like ours and probably always will be.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

You must have a short memory LDC 

because I have a long memory 

I can not remember a Norwich team that has lacked the fight , desire , lack of goals , lack of chances or the tactics 
all that with a long memory 

Farke has two seasons in the championship he won it last season yes but his first season was poor so I would say we have a 50/50 chance At best 

now take into that he has since has his worst season 

for him to bounce back will be very hard 

And just remember lambert and Alex Neil , worthington all did what Farke has done got us promoted but then lost their touch of management 

Farke has a shelf life like all managers and I think his sell buy date has gone 

Edited by norfolkngood

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think I had too much wine last night.........

Well the last month has been enough to drive anyone to drink.

The disappointment however will fade as we move into a new season and as always the future is likely to emulate the past. 

Get ready for another roller coaster ride.