Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Squad Clearout

So apparently we're likely to see a 'brutal' clearout this summer with no room for sentimentality, as per Webber's comments. 

Given that, who of the current squad would you like to see go? 

For me :

McGovern - Wasn't Championship quality 2 years ago. Time to give Oxborough a chance.

Heise - Never good enough and definitely going.

Klose - 50-50 on this. Hasn't been good enough since the restart/recovering from injury. But if he can get fit he's a very good player at Championship level, so maybe if he wants to stay, give him a chance to get properly fit between now and whenever the season starts and then see if he's good enough, if we bring in some defensive reinforcements and he's nowhere near the team try to ship him out on deadline day.

Famewo - Farke has consistently preferred to play Tettey or Amadou out of position (and today a not fully fit Zimmerman) rather than give this guy a chance, he'll be almost 22 by the time the new season starts so it seems pretty obvious he's not going to make it here. 

Leitner - The writing has been clearly on the wall for a while now. Not sure whet he did wrong but clearly not going to play for Farke again.

Rupp - Offers us nothing. Can't understand why we ever bought him in the first place. 

Vrancic - I really like Vrancic, but he's too injury prone, getting up there in years now and has been completely anonymous in the games he's played since the restart - and actually most of the season. Time to move on. 

Buendia - My controversial pick. Obviously a huge talent and from one perspective I'd hate to see him go, but his attitude issues have shown through increasingly as the season's dragged on. It doesn't seem like Farke is able to manage that very effectively, and he's arguably the most likely of our young players to get picked up by a bigger club, so if someone offers us a sensible fee for him I'd be tempted to take the money and reinvest in other options. 

Martin - Showed flashes of promise in his sub appearances, needs a season out on loan playing regular football at a decent level next year.

Drmic - Possibly could score goals in the Championship, but honestly after the way he's played in the last few games needs a fresh start elsewhere. At 27 doesn't offer anything for the future, cant see much benefit in keeping him. 

Idah - Make or break season for him I think, he needs to be playing 90 minutes week in week out; potentially could be the breakout star of the Championship next season if things go right but if he's not going to get a LOT of game time for us he needs to go out on loan - at the very least to a League 1 side.

13 minutes ago, andyc24_uk said:

So apparently we're likely to see a 'brutal' clearout this summer with no room for sentimentality, as per Webber's comments. 

For me :

McGovern - Wasn't Championship quality 2 years ago. Time to give Oxborough a chance.

Klose - 50-50 on this. Hasn't been good enough since the restart/recovering from injury. But if he can get fit he's a very good player at Championship level, so maybe if he wants to stay, give him a chance to get properly fit between now and whenever the season starts and then see if he's good enough, if we bring in some defensive reinforcements and he's nowhere near the team try to ship him out on deadline day.

Famewo - Farke has consistently preferred to play Tettey or Amadou out of position (and today a not fully fit Zimmerman) rather than give this guy a chance, he'll be almost 22 by the time the new season starts so it seems pretty obvious he's not going to make it here. 

Leitner - The writing has been clearly on the wall for a while now. Not sure whet he did wrong but clearly not going to play for Farke again.

Rupp - Offers us nothing. Can't understand why we ever bought him in the first place. 

Vrancic - I really like Vrancic, but he's too injury prone, getting up there in years now and has been completely anonymous in the games he's played since the restart - and actually most of the season. Time to move on. 

Buendia - My controversial pick. Obviously a huge talent and from one perspective I'd hate to see him go, but his attitude issues have shown through increasingly as the season's dragged on. It doesn't seem like Farke is able to manage that very effectively, and he's arguably the most likely of our young players to get picked up by a bigger club, so if someone offers us a sensible fee for him I'd be tempted to take the money and reinvest in other options. 

Martin - Showed flashes of promise in his sub appearances, needs a season out on loan playing regular football at a decent level next year.

Drmic - Possibly could score goals in the Championship, but honestly after the way he's played in the last few games needs a fresh start elsewhere. At 27 doesn't offer anything for the future, cant see much benefit in keeping him. 

Idah - Make or break season for him I think, he needs to be playing 90 minutes week in week out; potentially could be the breakout star of the Championship next season if things go right but if he's not going to get a LOT of game time for us he needs to go out on loan - at the very least to a League 1 side.

Think of the players that will want to leave too. 

I'd be surprised and disappointed if we sent Idah out on loan next season. Even if Pukki and Drmic stay, given the extra substitutions and larger squads I think he'll be involved more often than not.

Mad to judge Rupp on half a season in a failing PL side. Sure he'll offer a little bit more next season, and again with larger squads it makes sense to keep versatile players on the books.

If Emi and Todd both leave, I'd like to see Martin given a chance from the bench. Never know who is going to do what Aarons and Lewis did and jump straight into the first team out of nowhere.

Agree with everything else there, including Emi. He can be sensational on his day, but I'd be surprised if he was single-minded in his desire to play for us in the Championship next season. Will probably have his head turned.

• Like 1

We need to strike a balance here.

We will need to freshen up the squad, and probably won't have any choice due to players who ask to leave.

But you can also change too much too quickly, look at that first Farke season finishing 14th with a load of players trying to find their feet.

We should keep Idah as he can breakthrough here,

Rupp will be given a chance in the Championship, he would have been signed with that in mind.

But what makes you think there will be takers for all these players? McGovern? Klose? They'll be on more money  here than they can get elsewhere. Unless we pay off the difference! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I think you can break the side down into three;

Top performers: Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Cantwell, Emi - I would imagine at least three of these will be sold for top £ to get the budget needed to rebuild and fill the financial holes left by Covid 19. I think there's a chance they might all go. 

Players that I'd imagine Farke would want to keep: Zimmermann, McLean, Tettey, Rupp, Pukki, Idah, Martin, Hanley, Byram

Likely candidates for sale: Onel, Vrancic, Leitner, Stiepermann, Trybull, Drmic, Klose, McGovern, Heise.

A lot of work to be done. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Rupp- Can't understand why we bought him'

Because  he's German, it really is that simple

Let's not start making race an issue here, that's just not right.

Rupp was signed for his top level experience, versatility and because he was cheap. If a Spanish, English - any nationality player - was available with those qualities at the price we paid, he would have been bought in. 

Edited by TheGoogler
  • Like 3

If i Was Idah if i was sent out on Loan next season  i would ask for a Transfer 

The Boy has done everything asked of him and has looked a threat when he has played 

He should of started tonight instead of Drmic 

What the others have shown he is good enough to play here next season 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

Top performers: Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Cantwell, Emi - I would imagine at least three of these will be sold for top £ to get the budget needed to rebuild and fill the financial holes left by Covid 19. I think there's a chance they might all go. 

Players that I'd imagine Farke would want to keep: Zimmermann, McLean, Tettey, Rupp, Pukki, Idah, Martin, Hanley, Byram

Likely candidates for sale: Onel, Vrancic, Leitner, Stiepermann, Trybull, Drmic, Klose, McGovern, Heise.

Why would you sell Hernandez? Will rip the championship apart again.

I'd almost agree with TheGoogler's list, but I'd have Krul and Onel here for next season. Would imagine they'd offer Krul a nice new contract and really fight to keep him.

7 minutes ago, Felixfan said:

Why would you sell Hernandez? Will rip the championship apart again.

I'm not saying I would sell Hernandez. I'm saying he's a player who could well be moved on. He's been here for a while, after all, and isn't really a player always fancied by Farke.

Edited by TheGoogler

35 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Rupp- Can't understand why we bought him'

Because  he's German, it really is that simple

And because he was cheap 

Here are my views on players:

McGovern/Tettey - contracts expire next summer, both ageing. Think they will end their careers with us although happy for us to sell McGovern, it’s just we’ll need to find a replacement. Tettey also has good PL experience and think he should stay

Klose - in his 30s. Great at Championship level though it’s just he’s very injury prone and am happy for us to sell him, although am also happy for us to keep him too

Hanley/Byram/Zimbo/Vrancic - All very injury prone. Decent at Championship level and Byram has made some good performances this season too. Think they should all be kept despite their injuries

Godfrey/Aarons/Lewis/Buendia/Cantwell - Some young players who have put out some good performances this season. Are the favourites to be sold too. We need to try and hold on to as many of them if we can though as I think they could be huge assets for us next season 

Krul - in his 30s and another popular player to be sold. Need to try and hold on to him though as I don’t think we’d be able to find a replacement for him 

Leitner - completely fallen out of favour this season. Think he may be sold if a bid comes in for him

Hernandez/Stiepermann/Pukki - think they’ll be kept. Haven’t been great this season but did well in the Championship last season 

Drmic - poor performance this season, though I do believe this could be due to lack of game time through injury and being 2nd choice behind Pukki. Think he might have something to offer in the Championship next season 

Rupp - think he will be kept as was only signed in January. Also think he might have something to offer in the Championship 

Trybull/McLean - again not done well this season but think they’ll be kept as they were ok in the Championship last season 

Famewo/Idah/Martin - Think they will all be kept. Famewo was out on loan to an SPL team this season, Idah scored a hat trick against a Championship team in the FA cup and got a little bit of experience in the PL. Think Martin will be sent out on loan

I would worry about any clear out without a refresh of the scouting department 

it is performing poorly and I would tackle this before wasting any cash on players 

Players to keep would be (not inc new signings):

Krul, Hanley, Zimmermann, Byram, Tettey, Hernandez, Trybull, McLean, Pukki, Stiepermann, Vrancic, Idah, Martin

The "big 5" I guess we will see what offers we get. If none are suitable, I hope this restart has been a humbling experience for them and that they realise there is a hell of a lot of hard work still to do before they have "made it". All 5 have been concerningly short on quality since the January window shut and I question their desire to want to be here, such a shame after the achievements last summer.

The rest as far as I'm concerned can move on.

It's a dangerous game to just stand still in football even if you have had a good season, things change, tactics get found out, football moves on. We have fallen victim to some real stunning complacency at this football club from top to bottom and are in real danger of throwing away the good work that was done over the last couple of years. Maybe it is time for fresh ideas and investment at the top but for now we just need to get our house back in order as underneath all the gloom at the moment, there is a hell of a setup.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

Rupp was signed for his top level experience, versatility and because he was cheap. If a Spanish, English - any nationality player - was available with those qualities at the price we paid, he would have been bought in. 

Didn't know German was a race 🤔

7 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

If i Was Idah if i was sent out on Loan next season  i would ask for a Transfer 

The Boy has done everything asked of him and has looked a threat when he has played 

He should of started tonight instead of Drmic 

What the others have shown he is good enough to play here next season 

Apparently the manager “doesn’t give out gifts” but keeps starting the lowest scoring striker at the club instead of Pukki or Idah

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

He didn't mention anything to do with race, you're the only one who's made it about race. 

I think we have to be realistic about what our squad really is. There are the younger players who have come to the fore in the last couple of seasons.  Then you have a select few older heads who have experience of playing in top leagues.  These two groups of players are the ones we need to keep hold of.  The problem comes when you look at what the bulk of our squad is, journeymen players who to a man had the season of the careers when we won the Championship.  I am not convinced all of them can reach the same level in the Championship again so it was unrealistic to think they would be good enough for the Premier League.  That said, I'm not confident of a "brutal" squad overhaul.  With the exception of Byram, every other player we signed this season has been a huge disappointment.  I'm not criticising the lack of spending big money, I'm criticising then spending what they did badly.  Loans involve fees and wages and we did not get any value for money. 

I agree with the OP though, I don't quite understand what Leitner did wrong.  He looks after the ball really well, I always available to receive it and he does look forward.  I can see what he brings to the team.  Conversely, I don't see what Trybull does.  He very rarely gets forward to join attacks and he doesn't exactly make a high number of tackles for a player who "sits" 

10 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

I think Krul will be here. I think Buendia to go. Then of the other four, I think one or two might go. Possibly add Pukki to that list as well.

Of the ‘likely candidates for sale’ list, I’m not so sure many or any of them will leave other than Leitner and Heise. 

That leaves us with around 18/19 of those you mention - plus Sitti, Sinani, McCallum. 

I don’t think that’s in too bad shape. Direct replacement for any of the young defenders if they leave. Another defensive/holding midfielder (ideally a Tettey replacement who can pass it a bit as well). Maybe another striker if Pukki goes. Another attacking midfielder or two (depending on whether Buendia and/or Cantwell leave). 

3 hours ago, Wardogz said:

He didn't mention anything to do with race, you're the only one who's made it about race. 

He claimed he was signed because he was from Germany?

It's pretty obvious.

After the way fans have shown their dislike of Drmics lack of skills and that awful posting wishing him dead i would expect that he wouldn't want to stay and his contract mutually terminated. 

I also wonder if Teemu might head home to his family and finish his playing career in Finland. 

We shall soon find out. 

Just now, Harry53 said:

After the way fans have shown their dislike of Drmics lack of skills and that awful posting wishing him dead i would expect that he wouldn't want to stay and his contract mutually terminated. 

I also wonder if Teemu might head home to his family and finish his playing career in Finland. 

We shall soon find out. 

If fans or media speak negatively about a player, Farke will simply play him more.

1 minute ago, Harry53 said:

We shall soon find out. 

I agree with that. Expecting Pukki to 'tear up the Championship again' simply because he did it when he was two years younger is a big ask and somewhat unlikely as opponents now know exactly what he's about. Would be seriously amazed (and worried) if Drmic was still here at start of new season. New striker needed without doubt.  

13 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

For me :

Squad clear outs are very hit and miss. 
The balance of refreshing the squad will be like walking a tightrope. Not enough changes and the hangover will remain, too many and we will lose half the season trying to gel. Plus with our spending power realistically every other player we buy may not be good enough at championship level. And we will be replacing players that have proven relatively capable in the championship. Minefield.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

He claimed he was signed because he was from Germany?

It's pretty obvious.

Edited by Wardogz

Whoever leaves, we need to seriously invest in key positions. 

Forward, central attacking midfielder, defensive midfielder, and a centre back. 

14 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We need to strike a balance here.

We will need to freshen up the squad, and probably won't have any choice due to players who ask to leave.

But you can also change too much too quickly, look at that first Farke season finishing 14th with a load of players trying to find their feet.

We should keep Idah as he can breakthrough here,

Rupp will be given a chance in the Championship, he would have been signed with that in mind.

But what makes you think there will be takers for all these players? McGovern? Klose? They'll be on more money  here than they can get elsewhere. Unless we pay off the difference! 

I think this is a really important point. We have to be careful not to get ahead of ourselves or the championship will gives us a huge kick up the ar5e. The first job will be to find a way to stop losing and get some momentum going again, this will be harder than it seems.  Although we will drop a level, finding our free flowing football with changing personnel will not happen instantly and in the interim teams will think they can physically get in amongst us and score from set-pieces. We will therefore have to correct that issue urgently and keep in games to let us start to build up some rhythm. 
Personally I would also advocate for Stipermann to stay, he was good in the championship and importantly gave us a physical presence and an out-ball, he hasn’t worked this year and needs replacing going forward but him and Pukki should start for me. 

1 hour ago, Wardogz said:

What's that got to do with race?

Definition of race according to Google is a group of people who share the same culture. 

Being from Germany is being a part of the German race.