Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Not great but will be ok

Sorry Hoggs but pre and post lockdown has been the same for every team, we’ve just been awful, record breaking awaful.

We just need to get it over with, get rid of the players who are surplus to requirements or lined up for transfers and go afresh with the new players and championship squad.

Pre lockdown we were struggling to score goals (albeit we did score a few) but were mainly struggling with the physicality of the league and the fragility of our defense. But we were picking up points. Post lockdown all three weaknesses were magnified, and you can argue about the reasons for that, but I prefer to write the entire episode off as the outcome of a unique set of circumstances. 

Roll on next season, and OTBC! 

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Whilst of course I see your point, it's worth noting that had the season ended at lockdown, we'd still have finished bottom by several points. Obviously we weren't as bad pre-lockdown as we have been since, but our post-lockdown form has just made what was already a poor season unravel even further.

Yeah of course we would have still finished bottom.

But there's a big difference in morale and fan perception if you've beaten Bournemouth and Leicester at home, Burnley and Spurs in the cup etc to losing 9 matches in a row.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah of course we would have still finished bottom.

But there's a big difference in morale and fan perception if you've beaten Bournemouth and Leicester at home, Burnley and Spurs in the cup etc to losing 9 matches in a row.

Absolutely. To have failed heroically, making a real go of it would almost have been construed as a success (... given where we were pre lockdown). With momentum and optimism for next season. The complete capitulation we have seen gives us the complete opposite. 

13 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Whilst of course I see your point, it's worth noting that had the season ended at lockdown, we'd still have finished bottom by several points. Obviously we weren't as bad pre-lockdown as we have been since, but our post-lockdown form has just made what was already a poor season unravel even further.

I’d go as far as to say that had Covid never happened and the season continued as it was, we’d have ended up more points adrift - one or two others have been almost as terrible as us after lockdown/without crowds; but I would have fancied them to get more points than us if things had carried on ‘as normal’.