Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Not great but will be ok

Yes this season has been average at best but we go into next season in a league the manager has a great record in .we will be top six at least .We are in good shape in terms of squad with youth coming through. I have already said luck has deserted us this season.Next season we will be one of the favourites to go up to the prem.

10 minutes ago, mr footy said:

Yes this season has been average at best but we go into next season in a league the manager has a great record in .we will be top six at least .We are in good shape in terms of squad with youth coming through. I have already said luck has deserted us this season.Next season we will be one of the favourites to go up to the prem.

Yep expectations will be massively high.

5 minutes ago, mr footy said:

This is a joke right. 

Average would even in this context mean we finished somewhere between what would have been great say top 10 and awful say bottom. But we did finish bottom with not and average goal return or and average goals against, or and average number of defeats or an average number of victories. But the worst!  We did as badly as it is possible to do any context.

19 minutes ago, mr footy said:

i will have a pint of whatever you have been drinking.

If this season has been average what exactly would a poor season be in your eyes ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

To be fair, he did say 'at best'

It would also be fair to say this season has at best been poor.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

It would also be fair to say this season has at best been poor.

Would suggest an over exaggeration there, poor is being very very kind. 

Also there was very little expectation on us going up last season. Next season there will be. Will be interesting how we adapt to the pressure of being one of the favourites for promotion. 

23 minutes ago, mr footy said:

Agree with you there Footy - I have belief in bouncing back next season too. Every time we’ve been promoted to the Premiership I’ve always expected relegation as a possibility the following season, and as soon as it was announced last summer that we weren’t going to spend much on players I was expecting it for certain - I think that the objective this season was simply just to get rid of our debts. We’re now going to be rich, and aren’t going to sell our top quality players cheaply, as we have no need to sell and want to try and keep as much of our squad that won us the Championship last season as possible. To make make things even better for us, in addition to Championship experience a lot of our squad has now got some PL experience as well, and if we did get promoted again next season we will be able to spend a bit more too. I still also still believe in Farke - if we were to sack him at the end of this season who do you think would be the ideal replacement for him? I don’t know. All I really want him to do is come up with a plan B.

I know plenty of other fans will object to my views though 

2 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Agree with you there Footy - I have belief in bouncing back next season too. Every time we’ve been promoted to the Premiership I’ve always expected relegation as a possibility the following season, and as soon as it was announced last summer that we weren’t going to spend much on players I was expecting it for certain - I think that the objective this season was simply just to get rid of our debts. We’re now going to be rich, and aren’t going to sell our top quality players cheaply, as we have no need to sell and want to try and keep as much of our squad that won us the Championship last season as possible. To make make things even better for us, in addition to Championship experience a lot of our squad has now got some PL experience as well, and if we did get promoted again next season we will be able to spend a bit more too. I still also still believe in Farke - if we were to sack him at the end of this season who do you think would be the ideal replacement for him? I don’t know. All I really want him to do is come up with a plan B.

This is really important. He does appear very rigid in how he believes football should be played. While that's admirable, if we relocate our form from last season and win the league playing 'Farke-ball' again, will he then believe that he can play that way in the PL again?

I really do think next season is an opportunity for him to show more tactical flexibility, as surely if we do go up again we'll need to be less naive and tougher to beat.

11 minutes ago, shaunieboy77 said:

Also there was very little expectation on us going up last season. Next season there will be. Will be interesting how we adapt to the pressure of being one of the favourites for promotion. 

Why on earth would be considered one of the favourites to go up ?

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Because Lakey has had a very large bet on it😁

Perhaps we’ll use some of our cash pile following the disposal of Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia and Cantwell to bring in one or two loan signings. That should work.

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Because we still have a lot of the squad who won the division a year ago, a manager who won the division a year ago, and we're still playing the same style of football that won the division a year ago. Plus we will be able to strengthen the squad as necessary.

Obviously the back end of this season will have done nothing to help our chances, but I'd be expect us to be among the bookies' front runners.

20 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

This is really important. He does appear very rigid in how he believes football should be played. While that's admirable, if we relocate our form from last season and win the league playing 'Farke-ball' again, will he then believe that he can play that way in the PL again?

I really do think next season is an opportunity for him to show more tactical flexibility, as surely if we do go up again we'll need to be less naive and tougher to beat.

It’s essential Wolfy. Farke likes to play attacking football and although it is nicer to watch than the boring defensive football Hughton/Pulis etc plays, Mark Lawrenson said at the start of this season that you can’t play attacking football in the Premiership. Although I do believe it can be played against some sides, I think against the stronger teams it’s better to be a bit more defensive and try and aim for a draw.

Personally I was hoping that once we were relegated he would use the remaining games to try out some new tactics.

5 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

It’s essential Wolfy. Farke likes to play attacking football and although it is nicer to watch than the boring defensive football Hughton/Pulis etc plays, Mark Lawrenson said at the start of this season that you can’t play attacking football in the Premiership. Although I do believe it can be played against some sides, I think against the stronger teams it’s better to be a bit more defensive and try and aim for a draw.

Personally I was hoping that once we were relegated he would use the remaining games to try out some new tactics.

Agree with all that. Fingers crossed he's willing to show a bit more flexibility next season. He won't have unlimited rope, and any performances like the 4-0 at Millwall will certainly lead to questions being asked.

5 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Last season we conceded a ridiculous amount of goals but Pukki had a lifetime best season and we got promoted. 

Who will score the goals next season? 

20 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Because we still have a lot of the squad who won the division a year ago, a manager who won the division a year ago, and we're still playing the same style of football that won the division a year ago. Plus we will be able to strengthen the squad as necessary.

Obviously the back end of this season will have done nothing to help our chances, but I'd be expect us to be among the bookies' front runners.

Generally,  the teams relegated are considered among the favourites for promotion. Doesn't mean they should be,  Huddersfield for example.

46 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I don’t object to your views, I think you sum up how those in the corridors of power saw things. But I think the problem is that when you plan to fail, as we did, sometimes the failure is far, far more abject than you planned for and I think they have underestimated just how damaging a season like we have endured can be. 

the players look frustrated, the coach has been exposed as inexperienced and lacking in tactical nous at times and it’s going to take a huge effort to turn this around in the space of a couple of months.

the most damning think for me though is that Webber says the reviewed everything and took stock during the lockdown. That makes the performances in the 9 games since doubly unforgivable in my book because we have got worse in almost every single department. 

At the end of the day, Webber has to take equal blame. And if the board did tie both of their hands then they deserve criticism also.

But once we get the blame out of the way, the fact is we have to start all over again. So we put our faith in all of them again. What else would you do? Stop supporting them?

I think the terrible performances since the restart have magnified things and as I have said elsewhere it is totally inexplicable. round about Christmas I was in no doubt we would get relegated, up to lockdown I would say we had not been terrible, just not good enough and it was no great surprise based on what the club said at the beginning of the season. Since the restart we have been unrecognisable from the team I was watching at Carrow Rd before lockdown, not sure what has gone wrong and I will leave others to speculate. Next season is going to be tough, whatever team is in place will have to work and fight a lot harder if they really are serious about bouncing straight back.............

3 hours ago, mr footy said:

We will be lucky to make the Top 12. My guess is we will struggle the way the likes of Huddersfield and Stoke have in recent years when going down and will need something to big to change direction and avert a downward spiral. I hope you are right but I think the 'we're in good shape mindset' is what the ownership propoganda want us all to believe as part of the 'plan'.. But as has generally been the case the last 20 years any optimism I've had has generaly been misplaced or very short lived. 

Lock downs been awful. Obviously our performances have been too.

But because we've not been able to attend games, because they've all been like televised pre season friendlies it hasn't half got people going a little over the top.

The frustrating thing for me is people are acting like post lock down has been the entire season, that nothing before it happened.

That's true of course. But the table dosnt lie - we were bottom and well adrift pre lockdown not withstanding a small handful of spirited performances that gave false hope unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

The frustrating thing for me is people are acting like post lock down has been the entire season, that nothing before it happened.

Whilst of course I see your point, it's worth noting that had the season ended at lockdown, we'd still have finished bottom by several points. Obviously we weren't as bad pre-lockdown as we have been since, but our post-lockdown form has just made what was already a poor season unravel even further.