yellow_belly

Should Farke resign?

I want him to stay and would give him until the New Year.

I am excited by the signings we are making - they are in keeping with the long term plan and, for me, the ideal would be to be in the top eight next season, but with a view to pushing for promotion the following season with a much better prepared squad.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Neil Harris did at Millwall when he realised he couldn't take them any further. I think DF would do the same if things deteriorated further

Define deteriorate further 

12 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

My problem with Farke is does he actually learn anything from the mistakes - or do we continue to play the same way with it seems the inevitable same results?

In Farke's first season we finished poorly and at best mid table. Last season looked actually very similar early on, possibly worse,  and it was only when the 'B' team killed off Cardiff in the cup and injures forced Farke to change things that things improved. Even then at end of the season we actually struggled to get over line.

This season - frankly we have been regressing. Ponderous in attack and so on, always playing ourselves (into) trouble at the back and so on. 

Do I have confidence next season of a quick return to the PL - No. I suspect barring a new 'team' discovering itself again by chance we will struggle.

Jesus wept. We won the league, finished 11 points clear of third and went 14 games unbeaten, that is not "struggling to get over the line". 

Let's at least be fair to DF.

1 minute ago, Wardogz said:

Jesus wept. We won the league, finished 11 points clear of third and went 14 games unbeaten, that is not "struggling to get over the line". 

Yes, winning the league with more points than Leeds can get this season hardly suggests lots of ‘struggling’.

25 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

I question the coaching staffs ability to improve defending set pieces, scoring from set pieces, and correctly managing zonal marking. Maybe they are just not good enough? 

It’s either the players not being capable of taking it on board or yeah the coaching is pants. Probably a combination of both looking at the goals we’ve conceded 

I don't think Farke should resign, no.

I see Farke and Webber as a package really, they succeed or fail together.

They need to collectively get things very right with this rebuild, and if we're not in the top 6 in October or November then goodbye.

If they do then great, crack on and lets try and go back up better equipped next time. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I am excited by the signings we are making - they are in keeping with the long term plan and, for me, the ideal would be to be in the top eight next season, but with a view to pushing for promotion the following season with a much better prepared squad.

Agreed with this. Have to give him time to turn it around if you give him the money during the summer. 

also agree we probably went up a season to early in terms of the long term plan 

When you're losing and he takes off the creative player who has actually scored this season and he brings Rupp on.

How the crowd would have politely clapped at that one.

Edited by Number9

Webber stated that most of the Agents get it that the young players are on Long Contracts 

So i wonder if a few of the Agents have been Knocking on webber's door 

28 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I don’t disagree that DF should stay, but can’t really say yet that I’m ‘excited’ by our (known) signings to date - most we know of have never played in England and/or are from lower leagues so we have to hope they settle quickly.  It’s early doors and the Window isn’t even open yet, so we have plenty of time to get the ‘right’ guys in.

Edited by Branston Pickle

45 minutes ago, valiant said:

Annoyingly that’s just were we are as a club. Every other player we get in will not be good enough. It’s why I would only tweak and not go for a massive overhaul. As we will be replacing players that have proven capable in the championship with risks. 

I hear that, I just don’t get why we, say for instance, we sell Cantwell and look to replace him with a player of the Calibre of Eze. 

My concern would be how does he lift the players after this season ,they seem mentally shot ,it will big challenge for him ,I think he'll get 10 to 15 games and if we're struggling he'll go.😚

I don't see how we went up a "season too early". 

What would have been improved or invested by not going up last season? 

Plus, the same players would be on their way out but for lower fees.

What I do see is us buying in young scraps at the moment. That's not building a better squad, that's fishing in the drains looking for a less smelly turd. 

If we don't reinvest at least half of what we get on players sales in next few months we haven't improved the squad and we won't go up. 

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

In the unlikely event Farke did leave or was pushed it wouldn't make much difference. The point of the project, whether one likes it or not, is that the head coach is replaceable without altering the style or the make-up iof the squad.

Surely then those of us with the "don't care" if he stays or goes attitude have the most valid opinion regarding the overall plan, and not "the only opinion that is not valid"? 

I feel that we have the reputation for developing young players and letting them play at the highest level, which is attracting good young players. Not all of them will work out, but at least we are letting them try.

I am sick of the money in the Prem - how can Ozil sit around and not even bother to try and get into the first team and yet draw £350,000 a week? Because he can , but that doesn't make it morally right.

44 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Surely then those of us with the "don't care" if he stays or goes attitude have the most valid opinion regarding the overall plan, and not "the only opinion that is not valid"? 

My point was that 'not caring' wasn't really expressing an opinion, because it wasn't being linked to the chageability of head coaches. It was just a couldn't care less not caring.

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

My point was that 'not caring' wasn't really expressing an opinion, because it wasn't being linked to the chageability of head coaches. It was just a couldn't care less not caring.

Fair enough Purple dude, I would still counter not being bothered is an opinion, but then....i'm not overly bothered about that 😄 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, valiant said:

It’s either the players not being capable of taking it on board or yeah the coaching is pants. Probably a combination of both looking at the goals we’ve conceded 

This for me is one of the least forgives me flaws with our gave because it’s something that can be addressed on the training pitch and which doesn’t necessarily need millions spent to improve. At this level for clubs like us then any marginal gains are crucial and we don’t get any of them. We can’t score from set pieces, we can’t defend them and we often come out of the blocks after half time asleep and ship goals. Clubs like Newcastle, Burnley and Shef U have basically secured their safety on the basis of these sorts of basics, staying in games and keeping things tight then pinching goals and often undeserved or ugly victories. We just can’t do it and in fact do the polar opposite by chucking the opposition cheap goals once or twice a game. 

I do agree with the view expressed above that if we sell for big money this summer we need to bring in at least one or two established, decebt championship performers for a few.

so far, all our signings or rumoured signings are in the “could be awful, could be a master stroke” category as they are all unheard of and from foreign leagues. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

This for me is one of the least forgives me flaws with our gave because it’s something that can be addressed on the training pitch and which doesn’t necessarily need millions spent to improve. At this level for clubs like us then any marginal gains are crucial and we don’t get any of them. We can’t score from set pieces, we can’t defend them and we often come out of the blocks after half time asleep and ship goals. Clubs like Newcastle, Burnley and Shef U have basically secured their safety on the basis of these sorts of basics, staying in games and keeping things tight then pinching goals and often undeserved or ugly victories. We just can’t do it and in fact do the polar opposite by chucking the opposition cheap goals once or twice a game. 

Least forgivable flaws in our game 

5 hours ago, Wardogz said:

And conceded a record number of goals doing it, a problem that still exists!

Lets be fair to DF. 

24 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

And conceded a record number of goals doing it, a problem that still exists!

Lets be fair to DF. 

Ah you're a negative nelly. Yeah you're right, we didn't deserve to go up because our defence was so poor. 

6 hours ago, Wardogz said:

Jesus may well of wept but that doesn't  change the facts as I saw it. Toward the end we struggled in many games or where not convincing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Jesus may well of wept but that doesn't  change the facts as I saw it. Toward the end we struggled in many games or where not convincing.

There are none so blind as those who don't want to see

7 hours ago, Wardogz said:

Too right. Now its decided that Farke was "forced" to change things. Deary me.

43 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

Ah you're a negative nelly. Yeah you're right, we didn't deserve to go up because our defence was so poor. 

Even though we scored 93 goals that season people still now decide it wasn't good or whatever. I didnt hear it mentioned after Villa mind.

By the way, in terms of goal scoring the closest any championship team has got to our 93 is Brentford with 79.

Personally, I definitely think he should get a good crack at the whip for next season. What hurts a lot about this season, IMO, is the fact we grew to like the team so much last season. Yes, the team had its faults in defence and defending set pieces, but they played some wonderfully cavalier football in a physically demanding league and they did it with four out of the academy to boot. The sheer joy we had there is mirrored by the pain many of us are feeling this time around. It hurts that much more when you loved them before that.

Farke's definitely got a lot to learn, but in a season where I've never known a team have so many defenders injured at once, followed up by someone chowing down on an undercooked bat in China and causing a worldwide pandemic, on the lowest budget in the Premiership, he also had very little margin for error and fell a fair way short. I actually think he learns fairly quickly in many ways. Early on in his reign we had defensive issues with Franke, so he decided to get in Grant Hanley, then instead of getting shelled we had a prolonged period of results that would have had Tony Pulis jacking himself off into delight and probably Dell as shirt sponsors. He realised where we had problems after selling Maddison and the recruitment, particularly of Krul and Pukki, proved on point. Not to mention turned Stiepermann and Vrancic from failures into key cogs that season (not to mention quickly getting rid of the likes of James Husband and Marley Watkins).

I wouldn't be surprised if we started slowly as psychologically this will take some digesting, but we started slowly when we won the Championship, then Leeds pasted us, then we slowly got our stride. But if Villa go down, I'd much rather be in our shoes than theirs, financially speaking.