44 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Zimm has been a huge loss this season. Godfrey has looked lost without him there. Would love to see a 3 atb Zimm, Hanley, Godfrey back line one day though its probs too late now.

It would be great to see this.  We have the players to do it.  I would put Godfrey in the middle to allow him to be more  pro-active in moving forwards at times, making the most of his abilities as a defender and as a defensive midfielder.  It gives a flexibility to the team being able to adapt to a three at the back, five at the back or four at the back.  I know we do this anyway with Tettey moving back at times, but it seems quite an intelligent use of our resources. People may think that Godfrey is off, but I don't see that happening. He is still only 22 and another season of experience as a defender - and showing ability getting forwards that a role in a 352 - could give him just what he needs to progress to the next level.  No point in moving to a top club yet anyway, as I don't think he would walk into any team as it is and would probably be on the bench - and he doesn't strike me as the sort who would be happy sitting on the sidelines when he is fully fit. At Norwich when he is fully fit, he is pretty much number one choice and that could be  a big factor in him wanting to stay on for at least another season.

48 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It would be great to see this.  We have the players to do it.  I would put Godfrey in the middle to allow him to be more  pro-active in moving forwards at times, making the most of his abilities as a defender and as a defensive midfielder.  It gives a flexibility to the team being able to adapt to a three at the back, five at the back or four at the back.  I know we do this anyway with Tettey moving back at times, but it seems quite an intelligent use of our resources. People may think that Godfrey is off, but I don't see that happening. He is still only 22 and another season of experience as a defender - and showing ability getting forwards that a role in a 352 - could give him just what he needs to progress to the next level.  No point in moving to a top club yet anyway, as I don't think he would walk into any team as it is and would probably be on the bench - and he doesn't strike me as the sort who would be happy sitting on the sidelines when he is fully fit. At Norwich when he is fully fit, he is pretty much number one choice and that could be  a big factor in him wanting to stay on for at least another season.

to be fair, Godfrey may well have ****ed up his chances of a move back to the big time with his recent showings. Proves just how raw his talent still is.

If he does remain, then surely its time to go to a back 5, buy another centre back in for an extra option while we're at it. Would negate the need for a DM and would allow us to build around Godfreys strengths. Either way something has to change as we've been **** at the back since Alex Neil got us promoted.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

to be fair, Godfrey may well have ****ed up his chances of a move back to the big time with his recent showings. Proves just how raw his talent still is

Oh Aarons, Godfrey, Cantwell, Lewis, Buendia will all have people wanting to buy them. 

The problem is that people on here spent 9 months throwing around crazy numbers like £30m or £50m a piece.

Which is bordering delusion. 

I'd be surprised if we got more than £20m for any of them this summer ,and wouldn't be surprised if a couple go for nearer £10m if a sale happens this summer. 

I do believe Aaron's is worth £20m. He's probably not the next Gareth Bale, but he probably is the next Kieran Trippier. 

I'd miss Aaron's. I'd put money on him playing a lot of European football and winning a few England caps. People forget how young he is, even with our squad having our confidence destroyed he has looked composed. Obviously gets beaten in the air a lot but insane zonal marketing shoulders a lot of the blame because teams know to put big players up against him at that back post, that's the only thing a new manager would need to plan to mitigate. A bit of work on his final ball and he'll improve any attacking side. 

I wouldn't be massively surprised if any of the rest did well in the game and reached dizzy heights, but I equally wouldn't be surprised if they ended up in frequent relegation battles for the rest of their careers or even back in the Champs. My opinion of the Murphy's was similar when they got Prem moves. Now both halfway through their careers and in the Champs. Josh not starting many at Cardiff. 

Cantwell does have unwavering self belief on his side, he's got a good chance. Needs to pick his next move smartly though and next manager may not tolerate his attention seeking.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Zimmerman is amazing he came back in the side at half time ,and kind a like said this is like it's ****ing done.

Utterly immense performance- And he's still injured and wasn't supposed to play apparently!

"I'd be surprised if we got more than £20m for any of them this summer ....."

Possibly but one if not all of Godfrey, Aarons and Cantwell will be in demand and likely fetch more.

Clearly it will depend upon the add-ons. Those complicated add-ons.

If the boys progress as forecast and the negotiations are sound then these should give the club a degree of financial comfort for some time to come.

I say 'complicated' based mainly upon the Maddison sale. Widely purported to have been @£25m, then it became nearer £20m + add-ons. Then it became ......

He should get that full England cap soon though.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

"I'd be surprised if we got more than £20m for any of them this summer ....."

Possibly but one if not all of Godfrey, Aarons and Cantwell will be in demand and likely fetch more.

Clearly it will depend upon the add-ons. Those complicated add-ons.

If the boys progress as forecast and the negotiations are sound then these should give the club a degree of financial comfort for some time to come.

I say 'complicated' based mainly upon the Maddison sale. Widely purported to have been @£25m, then it became nearer £20m + add-ons. Then it became ......

He should get that full England cap soon though.

For some reason Southgate sadly seems to rate Ali and barkley more than does Maddison

12 hours ago, hogesar said:

Imagine having him fit all season. Just this brief cameo you can see what he offers the team.

Can't believe some fans still don't rate him.

Who doesn’t rate him? I swear some fans just make stuff up in order to suit their narrative that a lot of our fans are unreasonable. I’ve literally not heard a single fan say they don’t rate Zimmerman or anything other than that his loss for most of the season was a big blow. 

that said he should be better in the air than he is. 

• Like 1

Although how much is down to the players and how much down to the tactics is open to debate. I refuse to believe that all of our centre backs are not capable of performing in a well drilled and well protected back line. We’ve not had that at all this season. That doesn’t cost money. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Who doesn’t rate him? I swear some fans just make stuff up in order to suit their narrative that a lot of our fans are unreasonable. I’ve literally not heard a single fan say they don’t rate Zimmerman or anything other than that his loss for most of the season was a big blow. 

I do think the narrative has been more as Wacky’s post earlier - “of course we missed him, but probably wouldn’t have changed the outcome of the season all that much”. I haven’t seen (m)any people say they don’t rate him at all.

Start next season with Byram, Hanley, Zimbo and McCallum and you have the best back 4 in the Championship. Trouble is, can we keep them fit? 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I said it because pre season some posters on here and lots on the Facebook pages said Zimmerman wasn't good enough and needed to be replaced.

So no, I didn't make it up, but thanks for the suggestion all the same.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I said it because pre season some posters on here and lots on the Facebook pages said Zimmerman wasn't good enough and needed to be replaced.

So no, I didn't make it up, but thanks for the suggestion all the same.

Come off it hoggy this is what you said.....

As you started this thread yesterday the word ' still ' puts a totally different context on it don't you think ?  When i read your opening post i was also of the thought that i have not heard anyone since the start of the season have a bad word to say about Zimmerman.

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

Come off it hoggy this is what you said.....

As you started this thread yesterday the word ' still ' puts a totally different context on it don't you think ?  When i read your opening post i was also of the thought that i have not heard anyone since the start of the season have a bad word to say about Zimmerman.

Well how could their opinions have changed? Hes barely played since then!

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well how could their opinions have changed? Hes barely played since then!

A poor effort there hoggy especially as he has made at least a dozen appearances.