Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Have we ever had a Prime Minister that you liked?

I mean, Gordon Brown seemed like a decent bloke. Sure, so much gold went bye bye and many might blame him for not bothering to see the dangers of the incoming resection and all.. but he was just ok.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean, Gordon Brown seemed like a decent bloke. Sure, so much gold went bye bye and many might blame him for not bothering to see the dangers of the incoming resection and all.. but he was just ok.

I think that's far too broad (or linear?) a question really because everyone has their good qualities and their weaknesses. It also draws us into discussion of personality far too much. I met someone in my previous job, for whom I would argue I actually greatly disliked (his public persona for example). Eye to eye (the whites of) he was kind, very human and not at all how he presented for me in his public guise.

It's a good starting point for anyone you meet to be open minded and curious (and to continue to be so) before forming an opinion. 

Sorry, such a difficult question to answer. I think your question probably hints at the answer in that likeability is not necessarily what we look for. It is further complicated by the concept that the PM, in a way, represents a virtual father figure or mother figure to the population and nation. All our prejudices will therefore come to bear on our feelings about him or her. 

Good question nevertheless cc because no doubt some people vote according to these lines of thought and Brexit was one example of how personalities have been portrayed in the media to attract a vote. 

Edited by sonyc

they were all liked, they would argue, otherwise the public would not have voted for them.....

their aspirational wishful thinking and sloganising, which are non bionding, have always had the support of the national propaganda broadcaster and multiple regurgitation's of the same slogans are guaranteed to work not just in this country, but also within our role model and poodle relations ship America.

For all its worse, How about George Canning who sadly died of pneumonia/covid in 1827 after getting one over Napoleon by capturing the Danish navy and preventing the French from annexing south America. He was also a liberal who wanted to see the abolition of slavery.

56 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

they were all liked, they would argue, otherwise the public would not have voted for them.....

Unfortunately in our dysfunctional system that is by no means always the case - in pretty recent times we have had Brown, May and Johnson all becoming Prime Minister by virtue of the votes of their own party rather than the public.

Interestingly (IMO anyway) although Brown was a very competent Chancellor of the Exchequer he was a pretty poor PM, with May and Johnson far worse as both proved to be hopelessly incompetent and lacking in any leadership qualities.

Would be far better if a GE is automatically triggered if the PM resigns, whether it is because the government has lost a confidence vote or whether they personally have lost the confidence of their party.

Ive got to say that I quite liked McMillan, a decent One Nation Tory who fought in the trenches on the Somme in WW1 and was wounded three times. 

When he said we had never had it so good in 1959 he was probably correct.

Can't say I have ever liked a PM. Nothing personal but its the position.

Harold Wilson was the first Labour PM I took note of as I was born the same year Atlee took charge.

Wilson seemed too political. And I think every one since has been the same.

What is right must come before party.

They all had their faults and their failings but all of them that I lived through did things to try and improve or help their country. Even Thatcher.Love her or loathe her, I don't think there's a middle way, she did things to drag this country screaming into the modern era and Blair invested heavily in some of our cities to make them places worth living in again. Brown wanted to steady the ship, but frankly he was the wrong person at the wrong time.

History will be a terrible judge of Cameron's. An utter failure of ideology over pragmatism. And the fellow now??  Well, I'm not sure who's interests he is working for. It is not the British people's that's for certain. The sooner he is thrown in the North Sea the better.

17 hours ago, Bill said:

Who defines what is right ?

Fair point but to me it is continuing to use social justice and improvement in the economy to improve the equality of opportunity for all.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Fair point but to me it is continuing to use social justice and improvement in the economy to improve the equality of opportunity for all.

that is probably the defining words

that separates much in politics

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Blair was ok. Until he became a war criminal.

That falls into the same category as "Hitler was kind to his dog".

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Not in any shape or form - just you being silly

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Blair was ok. Until he became a war criminal.

How can you say that about the man who invented the phrase that if you want to vomit but can't, just play "the people's princess".😭😭

ralph, blart, huweee. Sorry, I'll wipe it up.

the thought on this topic is that great men make history,

rather than it actually being the other way round - as with July 1945

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

He wasn't very kind to that in the end.

29 minutes ago, Herman said:

He wasn't very kind to that in the end.

Yes, fancy taking it all the way to Argentina in a U boat.

• Haha 1

Yes, fancy taking it all the way to Argentina in a U boat.

Sunday Sport said he had gone to the Moon in a bomber. 

Someone isn't telling the truth.

•