Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Grealish, Cantwell and Buendia

Phil Neville had an interesting take on Grealish /Villa on MOTD last night and it struck me similar to Cantwell and Emi at Norwich.  Grealish, the great prospect (apparently...) has not been delivering much end product in the last few weeks in the league, gets the ball a lot, but nothing comes of it - and Villa don't score.  Harsh maybe when you consider there are ten other teamates, but the point was about what he needs to do to take it to the next level - and that is where it is similar to Cantwell and Emi.

If they want to be top players they are going to have to deliver more often - now that might be easier in a better team, but it might also be harder.  Grealish, with the stupid way he has his socks and presumably no shin guards, is all action, skilfull, has a great shot, but simply has not been delivering - and Villa, with him not scoring/providing enough, are still struggling.  I still feel Cantwell ought to be creating more than he does and get himself in shooting positions more often - and that would help us too. He's proved his goal scoring calibre with the early season goals and the one against MU in the cup, but his goals have dropped away compared to early in the season. Emi is great but his producing of chances has dropped off too - and he doesn't shoot or get into scoring positions often enough.

Now I would FAR rather have Cantwell and Emi in the team than Grealish, who looks short of a few brain cells to me, but what it does show is that if young exciting players are given their chance and don't deliver, then their teams struggle.  To have two exciting young(ish) players who are full of talent like we have, but aren't delivering enough, it is going to make winning games difficult. 

Yes, I know Todd's got 6 or is it 7 goals and Emi has 2 now, but in the last few weeks when the pressure has been really on, we have lacked something and midfield has not been producing enough.  Todd is 22, Emi is 23  (...Grealish is 24......) not actually that young  any more and these players need to step up and deliver consistently if they are to be considered top players. Farke has mixed it up a bit to be fair to try and take the pressure off them, but they are probably still our two best midfielders.

I know developing players is our way forwards and it works with the right management (which we have) but - next time we are promoted (hopefully soon) - we are going to need more than just young hopefuls. Too much pressure on Emi and Todd this season imo - Aarons and Lewis too - and on Grealish too, not that I'm worried about him of course........    

It's been a learning experience for everyone involved with the team this season, coach and players alike and hopefully this experience will help them all if/when we get back up to the PL again. 

The times when Emi, Cantwell & Onel are back defending yet Jamal & Max still up the pitch.

Cantwell and Emi are good. But (even if he is a bit ‘thick’) Grealish is very good. He always look good when we play Villa in the Championship or PL. he will play in a top half team. 

let’s be honest... (money aside)... we would take him.

Grealish is overrated. He's not the 80 million pound player some would have you believe. He is not at Maddisons level contrary to some pundits opinion.

Grealish is much closer to Cantwell in ability, certainly a bit better but 2 years older. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Grealish is much closer to Cantwell in ability, certainly a bit better but 2 years older. 

Yes - this is the exciting thing - if Cantwell continues to develop at his current rate...

Grealish has the ability to be superb but his intent on falling over at every given opportunity is devaluing his ability.

He goes down way to easily, he's always looking for a touch and that's why most people don't really rate him that highly.

Ironically he'd be a much better player if he stopped all of that and just looked to use his talent by getting an end result, which has very capable of doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Do many think Cantwell will still be here come the start of the new season? 

Not I.

However, covidia has thrown & continues to throw up more surprising turns of events than us potentially ‘staying on our Todd‘.

Grealish has only scored 1 more league goal than Todd this season but has played 34 times. He's also 2 years older than Todd. THAT is why Todd is attracting all the interest that he is (for the benefit of some posters on here).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Cantwell and Emi are good. But (even if he is a bit ‘thick’) Grealish is very good. He always look good when we play Villa in the Championship or PL. he will play in a top half team. 

let’s be honest... (money aside)... we would take him.

I wouldn't want Grealish here. He is an embarrassment and cheat.

• Like 1

Our Todd's got fluctuating hair styles, wears alternative Alice bands, occasionally wears gloves and also has a lovely skin tone....Oh, and he's a proper young hipster and trendsetter with some great dance moves, and young Todd communicates with a non-Norfolk mockneyish twang of an accent ....Top Lad.....and takes a tackle, dusts himself down and gets on with it..... 

Villa's Grealish has a 2nd World War schoolboy evacuees haircut, wears ickle footy socks and under 12's shin pads, sports a bisto tan and has an awful black country drawl....Oh, and he drives motors in the early morn like he's on the fairground dodgems.....Brummy Bad Boy.....and is a footy fall-e-down faker when brushed with a feather...... 

It'll be our Todd for me, any day...... 

• Like 1

If you ask a neutral, I'm sure most would rate Grealish higher than Cantwell and Buendia. That's why Grealish has a market value (at least) of Cantwell and Buendia combined. However, if I were a Sporting Director, Director of Football or whatever at a big club I'd say that £25m for Buendia is better value than £25m for Cantwell or £50m+ for Grealish. 

The only thing that has let Buendia down this season is goals, and the thing that would count against him compared to the other two is that he isn't homegrown. The thing that lets all three of them down is the fact that they play in struggling teams who don't score many goals. A comparison was made last night between Grealish and Bruno Fernandes, and that Fernandes has many more assists than Grealish, but Matt Chapman rightly pointed out that if Fernandes and Grealish (same applies to Buendia and Cantwell) swapped clubs then their output would change too. I'm sure Grealish and Buendia would contribute many more goals and assists if they had Rashford and Martial up top with them instead of Samatta, Davis, Drmic or the recent version of Pukki.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Have we put in an offer for him?

Yeah a box set of 'Peaky Blinders' episodes....

• Haha 1

The difference between freakish (the phone corrected it to that but it's staying) and Cantwell is that Cantwell wants it more. He's looked vastly improved particularly over last summer because he put the work in. 

JG on the other hand already believes the hype. Thinks he's made it already because he's the star in his local team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cantwell ended up the better player and JG is talked about in 15/20 years as someone who didn't fulfil their potential.

Edited by The Raptor

I don’t like Grealish, and his price is silly. 

But he has ‘done it’ / performed for number of years longer than Buendia (last year and at times this season) and Cantwell (at times last year and this year)

I really like both; Buendia was brilliant last year and Cantwell is local! 

But neither will be signed by a Man Utd or better, Grealish will.

(I don’t like G because he was terrible in lockdown!)

Edited by yellow_belly

I remember reading somewhere a few years back  that as an u 18 ish player   Grealish was incessantly told  to beef up  , he tried but the comments kept coming. ... hence the micro socks and shinpads aaaand best of all...tailored shorts,all designed to make him look bursting with muscle . They dont, they make him look even more stupid, if that were possible. Decent player, complete To$$er of a human.

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I remember reading somewhere a few years back  that as an u 18 ish player   Grealish was incessantly told  to beef up  , he tried but the comments kept coming. ... hence the micro socks and shinpads aaaand best of all...tailored shorts,all designed to make him look bursting with muscle . They dont, they make him look even more stupid, if that were possible. Decent player, complete To$$er of a human.

Another charming masterpiece. 

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Do many think Cantwell will still be here come the start of the new season? 

I really hope so, but I'd guess not.  Since needlessly alienating incumbent playing staff probably isn't part of the Sporting Director's remit, I'd taken SW's recent hissy-fit as a sign that one of them, at least, is off.  And at the present moment, I'd imagine that Todd might be more in demand.  As I say, though, I'd love him to be here next season.

Imo in terms of pure footballing talent I would go:

1. BUENDIA

2. GREALISH

3. CANTWELL

With Grealish being English however his price tag would be higher than Buendia. 

If Buendia is fortunate enough to play in a top 6 side in the Prem then you would see him tear it up in assists and goals imo (very much like Madders has done at Leicester). More so than the other two mentioned.

Buendia the most valuable by a long shot. No way a club spends big money on the other two and risks fans boycotting games because the mood before kick off is interrupted by Cantwell or Grealish’s hair.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Read somewhere that Todd’s brother says he is off to Newcastle

Thing is, if they sack Bruce and the new manager doesn’t fancy him he could easily find himself on loan to a championship side. Probably double his wages though 

On 17/07/2020 at 12:15, lake district canary said:

If they want to be top players they are going to have to deliver more often - now that might be easier in a better team, but it might also be harder.  Grealish, with the stupid way he has his socks and presumably no shin guards, is all action, skilfull, has a great shot, but simply has not been delivering - and Villa, with him not scoring/providing enough, are still struggling

Don't make presumptions, he does wear shin pads - short ones, which still cover the shin.

Wearing shinpads is a requirement not an option, if he didn't wear them he wouldn't be allowed to play.

And he has 7 Premier League goals and 6 Premier League assists this season.

That's more than James Maddison, with 6 goals and 3 assists.

Aston Villa aren't good enough for the Premier League, but Grealish is. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Don't make presumptions, he does wear shin pads - short ones, which still cover the shin.

Still looks stupid.  Half length socks......whatever next......wearing the shirt bikini style with knickers instead of shorts?

Mind you, if it's good enough for England players........

Amanda Holden, 47, showcases her legs in bikini bottoms and a football  shirt | Daily Mail Online