Sign in to follow this  
yellow_belly

Interesting article in My Football Writer

13 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Excellent. Thought so. Someone said that you was in Lowestoft. Stay happy

That guy was a wrong un. Got locked up. Where did you know him from?

24 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

I am not pessimistic but how many of our quality players will be sold to fund new players... that may be better or could be worse. Think Holt and RVW, Sutton and Sheron, etc

I think Godfrey, Aarons and Buendia will definitely go. Whilst there is a lot of potential they weren’t amazing this year. I wouldn’t be bothered if they were sold as long as it was properly invested. We basically need a whole new midfield anyway and at least a couple of defenders. I’d sell those 3 all day long if we were bringing in 6 players who improved the first team. 

The article does rather go over the top -  the comment bi Nick sums up the more truthful position.  Anyone can write up a miserable article, so it seems.

36 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I have a sneaky feeling number9 is an estate agent..

Not so, but I'd like to see what Lakey has for sale 🤣

27 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Ice cream... could we not buy a Pilkington, Holahan, Holt, Redmond, Howson, Ashton Etc? All lower league, all did better...

Holt was £400k, Morrison £2m, etc

Maupay and Webster went for £20m+ each. English Transfer market is horribly inflated these days, very little value to be had.

Given the financial constraints the club is under I'm not sure we have any alternative to the current model if we want to avoid gambling the future by spending money we don't have.

Remember Evans supposedly put in £6 million a year just to keep that lot down the road a miserable mid table in the Championship, and look where that got him.

If Delia hasn't got money to invest then our current policy of extracting maximum value from youngsters and unfancied players seems the most sensible. 

43 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:
44 minutes ago, Number9 said:

The time to sell is when you're flying high achieving the best sale price, the time to buy is when the product is at a low with a repressed sale price. 

'Makes sense'

Exactly. 
I don’t think Lakey is a city whiz kid ... or market trader! 
I would love to buy from him!

I don't think either of you would do well running anything.

What appeals to investors is the prospect of making money, so they try and buy cheap when a club is desperate, with the view to  building it up to make it worth a lot more.....not buy when a club is doing well - which we are, despite reports to the contrary. We have no debt and have no reason to sell cheap, so anyone would have to pay a premium price to buy the club. 

If by chance there was someone who wanted to invest in us as we are, it would probably only be someone who already has an interest in us maybe as a fan. Even then, if there was someone like that, fan or not, they would still wait until the time is right to step in.....and that would be when we are on our knees, with debts and no prospects.  That is nowhere near the case as we have assets and a healthy financial situation and therefore an investor has little room to negotiate a good deal.  In that sense DS and MJW are right to keep going and if no suitable investor comes along and shows interest, then if they want to leave, then passing it on to a family member is the logical and correct thing to do. 

• Like 1

With regards to the article, it's pretty clear that the owners do not have the money that you need to succeed in the premiership. If you look at the owners of the premiership, they have vast amounts of cash which they spend on their clubs, mainly on players. 

The best players win games and cost money. Therefore, the current ownership and model will mean we will never be a established premiership side unless finance rules change. That is not to say it is right or that our owners are bad! It's a simple statement of fact.

So, accepting this, you follow the club knowing we will spend most of it in the championship, and the odd depressing season in the top flight. We will continue to fall behind those clubs in the premiership. For example, 5 to 10 years ago we were as big or bigger than Wolves and Leicester but we are miles away from them now.

It will only change if a) finance rules change b) all of the billionaires in the world go bust c) we attract one of the said billionaires (a premiership franchise is a very appealing to very rich people or are you saying a Russian billionaire fell in love with Bournemouth).

I understand money is not guaranteed success (Fulham... Probably Bournemouth) but a lack of money 100% means premiership failure. It's just facts.

Without investment you will not succeed (be competitive) in the top flight. So your view of the club is determined by where you see the potential of the club. 

If you like a model that has to sell to get working capital and will not borrow on its assets for fear of ruining the future, then the current owners are the ones for you but you will never be more than a top 26 club.

If that is depressing then it's because you see the club as having more potential.

OTBC

Edited by Kenny Foggo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I totally disagree with the sentiment of that 'myfootballwriter' article. It seems to want to continue doing things the way that they used to be done ... which we REALLY should learn from instead!

As far as I see things there are 3 routes to take.

1. Do what we used to do pre Webber ... go up, spend what we can, fail to stay for a sustained spell, go down and feel the burn of owning relegated mercenaries on big wages that don't have the hunger to fight for promotion.

2. Sell the club to billionaire investors ... we could do a Leicester, Wolves, Hull or Portsmouth. Fingers crossed.

3. Stick to a long term plan which concentrates limited funds on the roots - recruiting promising starlets, building an enviable academy, polishing up our training facilities, tying major assets down to long contracts, clear old debts and OVER TIME buy and sell shrewdly enough to get up and stay up.

For me only options 2 and 3 make sense.

I'm patient enough to watch this fascinating experiment unfold but suspect that if it crashes the argument against option 2 becomes a lot tougher.

This sums it up for me........

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

With regards to the article, it's pretty clear that the owners do not have the money that you need to succeed in the premiership. If you look at the owners of the premiership, they have vast amounts of cash which they spend on their clubs, mainly on players. 

The best players win games and cost money. Therefore, the current ownership and model will mean we will never be a established premiership side unless finance rules change. That is not to say it is right or that our owners are bad! It's a simple statement of fact.

So, accepting this, you follow the club knowing we will spend most of it in the championship, and the odd depressing season in the top flight. We will continue to fall behind those clubs in the premiership. For example, 5 to 10 years ago we were as big or bigger than Wolves and Leicester but we are miles away from them now.

It will only change if a) finance rules change b) all of the billionaires in the world go bust c) we attract one of the said billionaires (a premiership franchise is a very appealing to very rich people or are you saying a Russian billionaire fell in love with Bournemouth).

I understand money is not guaranteed success (Fulham... Probably Bournemouth) but a lack of money 100% means premiership failure. It's just facts.

Without investment you will not succeed (be competitive) in the top flight. So your view of the club is determined by where you see the potential of the club. 

If you like a model that has to sell to get working capital and will not borrow on its assets for fear of ruining the future, then the current owners are the ones for you but you will never be more than a top 26 club.

If that is depressing then it's because you see the club as having more potential.

OTBC

The circular argument will go on forever Kenny. You put faith in money, I put faith in people. It's entirely possible that we have opposite world views that cannot be reconciled.

Anyway, good post buddy👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

What appeals to investors is the prospect of making money, so they try and buy cheap when a club is desperate, with the view to  building it up to make it worth a lot more.....not buy when a club is doing well - which we are, despite reports to the contrary. We have no debt and have no reason to sell cheap, so anyone would have to pay a premium price to buy the club. 

If by chance there was someone who wanted to invest in us as we are, it would probably only be someone who already has an interest in us maybe as a fan. Even then, if there was someone like that, fan or not, they would still wait until the time is right to step in.....and that would be when we are on our knees, with debts and no prospects.  That is nowhere near the case as we have assets and a healthy financial situation and therefore an investor has little room to negotiate a good deal.  In that sense DS and MJW are right to keep going and if no suitable investor comes along and shows interest, then if they want to leave, then passing it on to a family member is the logical and correct thing to do. 

You've changed your tune from the original post.

2 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

You remind me of that kayleigh mcenany the trump press spokesperson obviously with out the stunning figure, lovely hair and intellect 💄💄

It's funny, you remind me of James Corden.

Apart from even he's funnier than you.

And he's actually lost some weight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Hang on, surely if a rich fan comes along and has the financial power to take us to the next level, why wouldn’t the majority share holders sell for what they paid? After all those who are pro DS & MJW are true fans who should want the best for the club? Isn’t that what has been their criteria, they never did this for a missive profit?

10 hours ago, Indy said:

Hang on, surely if a rich fan comes along and has the financial power to take us to the next level, why wouldn’t the majority share holders sell for what they paid? After all those who are pro DS & MJW are true fans who should want the best for the club? Isn’t that what has been their criteria, they never did this for a missive profit?

True 

At least with have an old lush ‘steady’ at the wheel...

Dave Bowers basically hates Webber and prior to our incredible 2018/19 season would basically tell anyone and everyone how awful he is and how great McNally was. I wouldn't be surprised if he was disappointed that we went up because it kind of made him out to look a bit stupid.

Now we're relegated, he feels empowered to re-engage in his favourite hobby of bashing Webber and the club.

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Dave Bowers basically hates Webber and prior to our incredible 2018/19 season would basically tell anyone and everyone how awful he is and how great McNally was. I wouldn't be surprised if he was disappointed that we went up because it kind of made him out to look a bit stupid.

Now we're relegated, he feels empowered to re-engage in his favourite hobby of bashing Webber and the club.

That does certainly feel like the case. It’s hardly surprising that the usual people on here will latch onto it as ‘a good read’ because it talks to the negative view that they support. I always think it’s good to know where people writing articles are coming from - in the same way that Dennis always goes over the top on the positive stuff.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, yellow_belly said:

True 

What exactly is this post supposed to prove? Other than that “yellow_belly” is an out and out troll.

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That does certainly feel like the case. It’s hardly surprising that the usual people on here will latch onto it as ‘a good read’ because it talks to the negative view that they support. I always think it’s good to know where people writing articles are coming from - in the same way that Dennis always goes over the top on the positive stuff.

I'm not going to lie, I get proper angry when watching us lose and don't talk a great deal of sense in the immediate aftermath (there's probably some evidence on here of that) but once I've had an hour or two to get over it, I'm fine and generally start to love the club again. And focus on what's actually important to me which is basically that the club continues to exist. So that there remains something for me to support and go to games and enjoy pre-match pub visits. The second most important thing is that the club remains something I can respect, that we don't end up owned by some human-rights abusing monsters or mistreating its supporters (and I'll concede, they've pushed me on that side of things over the years). If those two things are satisfied, I'll remain a supporter and will enjoy being a supporter, regardless of how we're performing.

Next on the lists are the dreams, wants and nice-to-haves. What league we're in fits into this category. I'd love for us to be in the Prem, I'd love even more for us to win silverware of some description and enjoy a campaign in Europe. If these dreams aren't fulfilled or the wants don't come to be, oh well.

Some of you guys on here seem to not actually like being a supporter of Norwich at all, unless we're comfortably in the Premier League, and as we've only finished outside of a relegation spot in the Premier League twice in the last 15 years then you guys must be having a pretty miserable time.

And there are others of you who only actually seem to have a good time when we're failing. I don't get that at all.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Indy said:

So our fictional rich investor is rich enough to take us to the next level, but not rich enough so he needs the club sold to him at a massive discount?

24 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'd never heard of him, but in that case he must really have enjoyed the two relegations we had under McNally?🧐

50 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I'd never heard of him, but in that case he must really have enjoyed the two relegations we had under McNally?🧐

Cognitive dissonance will explain away that logical anomaly. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Those relegations were part of a long term plan whereas this relegation is part of a long term plan which he doesn't understand, although actually easier to understand. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Number9 said:

You've changed your tune from the original post.

You’re avoiding the fact that despite you laughing at LDC’s sales skills, he’s actually right. If you look at the vast majority of football club sales, they are of struggling teams with the potential of considerable growth. Anyone buying us would have to spend many 10s of millions of pounds to make much difference, with no guarantee that we wouldn’t do a West Brom, Bournemouth, Swansea etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Herman said:

Those relegations were part of a long term plan whereas this relegation is part of a long term plan which he doesn't understand, although actually easier to understand. 

Post of the thread. Case closed.

Someone posted that the average length of stay in the EPL was 3.8 years. If that figure includes the top 6 clubs then by removing them from the calculation, the result will fall significantly. 

So we could take 3 seasons as being average stay time for a typical EPL club

When viewed in those terms the risk/reward ratio really does not look all that appealing. We are looking at selling our club to God knows who for the chance of a couple more seasons of avoiding relegation than we currently do. Doesn't seem worth it to me. 

20 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

You’re avoiding the fact that despite you laughing at LDC’s sales skills, he’s actually right. If you look at the vast majority of football club sales, they are of struggling teams with the potential of considerable growth. Anyone buying us would have to spend many 10s of millions of pounds to make much difference, with no guarantee that we wouldn’t do a West Brom, Bournemouth, Swansea etc.

Exactly this, it's one of a number of reasons why Football is no longer a sport, if you believe that a sport must have a level-playing field.

Basket case clubs who have been poorly run and spaffed away their cash are a more attractive proposition, and therefore more likely to attract a billionaire-owner who can transform their fortunes (though could equally, and perhaps more likely, ruin them).

Why would someone willing to chuck £500 million at a club waste a big chunk of that buying the club, when they could just purchase a debt-ridden, ill-managed organisation for next to nothing and clear £20 million worth of debt and then start buying players?

29 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

His argument was that were we to plummet to League 1, then that would be a good time for Delia to sell up.

Obviously the day our promotion was confirmed would have been a good time to sell.

Being in League 1 would be a good time to buy.

Regarding making a difference with our club, we do have some players who haven't reached their potential. A different manager / coach could have avoided relegation and although money would be spent, it wouldn't be catastrophic amounts. 

3 hours ago, yellow_belly said:

True 

Proppa Pashun.....It was even more amusing watching her (post rant) 'negotiate' her way back to her seat....Occasionally some visiting away support do tend to remind us home fans of that memorable stirring an' a slurring motivating speesh......BUt I still luvs her...x

17 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

The last paragraph sums up the Prime example of that is the appointment of Nepotism Tom onto the board especially galling that he has no football admin experience what so ever 

He's got 4 years worth of admin experience as the director of a top 26 club...

• Like 1