Sign in to follow this  
yellow_belly

Interesting article in My Football Writer

I’m sure people will argue all day on this thread (probably ultimately in ways that aren’t even related to this thread). 

My view on this is, whether it’s accurate or not - only the powers that be know that - is, wow, DEPRESSING. If this really is the intention, and I stress the word if, I honestly think I couldn’t love football anymore. It makes me sad to think my football club or any football club would operate in a way that makes football success secondary to profit making. 

I really do miss the football game that I grew up loving. 

Don't agree with the thinking that we'll be "plundering lower and lesser known leagues for gems."

Hasn't Webber already said that we are now in a position to spend a bit of money, albeit not the most in the league, on higher quality players that could do well for us in the prem too?

Edited by Darth Vadis

I totally disagree with the sentiment of that 'myfootballwriter' article. It seems to want to continue doing things the way that they used to be done ... which we REALLY should learn from instead!

As far as I see things there are 3 routes to take.

1. Do what we used to do pre Webber ... go up, spend what we can, fail to stay for a sustained spell, go down and feel the burn of owning relegated mercenaries on big wages that don't have the hunger to fight for promotion.

2. Sell the club to billionaire investors ... we could do a Leicester, Wolves, Hull or Portsmouth. Fingers crossed.

3. Stick to a long term plan which concentrates limited funds on the roots - recruiting promising starlets, building an enviable academy, polishing up our training facilities, tying major assets down to long contracts, clear old debts and OVER TIME buy and sell shrewdly enough to get up and stay up.

For me only options 2 and 3 make sense.

I'm patient enough to watch this fascinating experiment unfold but suspect that if it crashes the argument against option 2 becomes a lot tougher.

• Like 8

It's one way of looking at our situation, a cynical approach and looking after the finances first. Or you could say in today's precarious football financial world ( & amidst a pandemic) that it is a responsible one.

I think it's right though that we are trying to build greater quality progressively. The proof will be in our recruitment somewhat this summer ....whether we truly delve into the depths and outer reaches of Europe. Yet our youth development has been very progressive and even in 1992/93 I would have loved our club to have built their platform this way. We didn't and we paid for it after relegation for a long, long while.

This current ownership may have it's faults but the evidence is that it's been partially successful and has delivered good value for money for its supporters this last decade. Some posters want more I understand and will continue with a campaign whatever.

20 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

I have read two great articles. Firstly, the one in the EDP that I mentioned in another post and then this one on My Football Writer.

What are your thoughts about the article? I am not interested in Lakey’s thoughts because it will be a love letter to a team that could have been.

https://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2020/07/16/mission-accomplished/

I think it's an interesting take with some inaccuracies. I think my biggest problem is that last line about this being about securing Delia's position. That's utter nonsense. Delia survived relegated into League One, I hardly think being promoted into the Premier League is going to bring pressure onto her.

The comments were more interesting than the article. Lots of people who can write articles having a discussion. Even then a 'do gooder' stepped in! The whole thing is a lesson in being able to write doesn't make for a more insightful opinion. It's done much better on here.

The last paragraph sums up the problem with the stowmarket 2’s ownership

this is the exact point I have been making for years they are clinging onto the club not for its best interests but in the stowmarket 2’s best interest. Prime example of that is the appointment of Nepotism Tom onto the board especially galling that he has no football admin experience what so ever 

44 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I totally disagree with the sentiment of that 'myfootballwriter' article. It seems to want to continue doing things the way that they used to be done ... which we REALLY should learn from instead!

1. Do what we used to do pre Webber ... go up, spend what we can, fail to stay for a sustained spell, go down and feel the burn of owning relegated mercenaries on big wages that don't have the hunger to fight for promotion.

2. Sell the club to billionaire investors ... we could do a Leicester, Wolves, Hull or Portsmouth. Fingers crossed.

3. Stick to a long term plan which concentrates limited funds on the roots - recruiting promising starlets, building an enviable academy, polishing up our training facilities, tying major assets down to long contracts, clear old debts and OVER TIME buy and sell shrewdly enough to get up and stay up.

I'm patient enough to watch this fascinating experiment unfold but suspect that if it crashes the argument against option 2 becomes a lot tougher.

Superb post. Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Great word. 

It is a great word and describes much of what is written about football both in the media and on here.

I really don't see the problem. There is a project in place, we have assets to sell and give it another go and will be better placed to do better if we get promoted next time as the club gets more and more into profit to be able to build the squad up and get even better Academy players in.

The time to sell up would be if it is obviously failing and we end up in league One and can't afford to pay our way.......then and only then would it make sense to think about selling to a rich investor....and tbh, it is probably only then that an investor would be interested. 

This idea will pass some by, but really it is common sense.  If it ain't broke, no need to fix it.

As for top 26...this is like professional golfers who aim their putts to within a few inches around the hole thereby not putting too much pressure on themselves to get it in the hole, but knowing that if they hit it just right, it will sometimes go in.  So we aim for the top six in the same way, knowing that if we hit that target, we will be in the play offs or in the top two, giving us a chance of promotion every time. We might get there one season we might not, but if we maintain that form every season, sooner or later we will be back in the prem.  And once in the prem, with the better resources that have built up through developing players and selling them on, we would stand a better chance of doing well.

Edited by lake district canary

48 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

This. All day long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A really, really poor article that just makes a load of inferences...incorrectly.

However, there's some good discussion in the comments.

What is clear, this bloke hasn't listened to recent Webber interview etc- which if he's going to comment on them and their current views would kind of be the minimum amount of research required.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

A really, really poor article that just makes a load of inferences...incorrectly.

However, there's some good discussion in the comments.

What is clear, this bloke hasn't listened to recent Webber interview etc- which if he's going to comment on them and their current views would kind of be the minimum amount of research required.

You remind me of that kayleigh mcenany the trump press spokesperson obviously with out the stunning figure, lovely hair and intellect 💄💄

When teams get promoted to the premiership you don’t get that money straight away. What most teams do is spend money loaned by their rich owners. We obviously couldn’t do that as our owners don’t have that kind of money. This coming season, even with the covid shortfall, I expect us to spend fairly big. We’re in a really good position financially and I think we’ll see a good 8-10 players signed. When this next transfer window shuts would be a good place to judge the boards ambition. I’m very optimistic. 

23 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I really don't see the problem. There is a project in place, we have assets to sell and give it another go and will be better placed to do better if we get promoted next time as the club gets more and more into profit to be able to build the squad up and get even better Academy players in.

The time to sell up would be if it is obviously failing and we end up in league One and can't afford to pay our way.......then and only then would it make sense to think about selling to a rich investor....and tbh, it is probably only then that an investor would be interested. 

This idea will pass some by, but really it is common sense.  If it ain't broke, no need to fix it.

As for top 26...this is like professional golfers who aim their putts to within a few inches around the hole thereby not putting too much pressure on themselves to get it in the hole, but knowing that if they hit it just right, it will sometimes go in.  So we aim for the top six in the same way, knowing that if we hit that target, we will be in the play offs or in the top two, giving us a chance of promotion every time. We might get there one season we might not, but if we maintain that form every season, sooner or later we will be back in the prem.  And once in the prem, with the better resources that have built up through developing players and selling them on, we would stand a better chance of doing well.

Lakey... if we fall into League One again we a) could do an Ipswich and stay there and b) would not have a Q of billionaires looking to purchase us. So for me, your model does not work. Sorry. Good effort.

5 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

When teams get promoted to the premiership you don’t get that money straight away. What most teams do is spend money loaned by their rich owners. We obviously couldn’t do that as our owners don’t have that kind of money. This coming season, even with the covid shortfall, I expect us to spend fairly big. We’re in a really good position financially and I think we’ll see a good 8-10 players signed. When this next transfer window shuts would be a good place to judge the boards ambition. I’m very optimistic. 

I am not pessimistic but how many of our quality players will be sold to fund new players... that may be better or could be worse. Think Holt and RVW, Sutton and Sheron, etc

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The time to sell is when you're flying high achieving the best sale price, the time to buy is when the product is at a low with a repressed sale price. 

'Makes sense'

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Are there anymore articles from there we can have a laugh at?

You make me laugh. So thanks. Is it true you were once a NatWest bank manager ?

Just now, Number9 said:

The time to sell is when you're flying high achieving the best sale price, the time to buy is when the product is at a low with a repressed sale price. 

'Makes sense'

Exactly. 

I don’t think Lakey is a city whiz kid ... or market trader! 

I would love to buy from him!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yellow_belly said:

You make me laugh. So thanks. Is it true you were once a NatWest bank manager ?

Yes. I managed the branch on London Street with all the steps. Then when London Street was pedestrianised I went with the Woolwich.

Yes. I managed the branch on London Street with all the steps. Then when London Street was pedestrianised I went with the Woolwich.

Excellent. Thought so. Someone said that you was in Lowestoft. Stay happy

I have a sneaky feeling number9 is an estate agent..

Possibly better to him in charge of selling a club rather than the Wainwright stroller.

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Pretty much. This was one of his later replies:

"It can be no surprise that (IMHO) three of the best performing (and most resilient) players this year had PL experience (Tettey, Hanley, Krul). Players from foreign leagues without experience have often taken 12 months to get up-to-speed, if they ever did. If we come up again and don’t invest in experienced, resilient players, I can see the same thing occurring and that’s something Webber is seemingly against."

So potentially going back to the Premiership cast off days of Naismith, Dorrans etc. As for the Championship, one season of not being a binner put a £20m price tag on Adam Webster.

2 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Pretty much. This was one of his later replies:

"It can be no surprise that (IMHO) three of the best performing (and most resilient) players this year had PL experience (Tettey, Hanley, Krul). Players from foreign leagues without experience have often taken 12 months to get up-to-speed, if they ever did. If we come up again and don’t invest in experienced, resilient players, I can see the same thing occurring and that’s something Webber is seemingly against."

So potentially going back to the Premiership cast off days of Naismith, Dorrans etc. As for the Championship, one season of not being a binner put a £20m price tag on Adam Webster.

Ice cream... could we not buy a Pilkington, Holahan, Holt, Redmond, Howson, Ashton Etc? All lower league, all did better...