Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

59 minutes ago, Badger said:

Their might be tax advantages too? We wouldn't want to sell everyone in the same window?

I would suggest that as the payments are over a number of years that would be mitigated (?)

At the moment losses made in the PL ie lost income through the virus would reduce any profit made this season

Loan move for Chelsea’s Ampadu now not happening according to Michael Bailey - Fulham now the destination 

Just came across this while doing some browisng, and its rather interesting 

Fair to say we have enough midfielders for now, but do we really only have two keepers right now? Really? What happned to Oxborough? And only one right winger?

... And why whoever took this picture took it by holding thier phone up to thier PC rather than just Printscreening is beyond me

20200810_124012.jpg

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just came across this while doing some browisng, and its rather interesting 

Fair to say we have enough midfielders for now, but do we really only have two keepers right now? Really? What happned to Oxborough? And only one right winger?

... And why whoever took this picture took it by holding thier phone up to thier PC rather than just Printscreening is beyond me

20200810_124012.jpg

Oxborough is likely to move to Salford on loan (and if not them, he'll be on loan somewhere this season).

Sinani played right wing for his previous club so can go there, and Placheta can also play on the right so there is probably more flexibility than this shows. It is from The Athletic so drawn up by Michael Bailey, who obviously knows his stuff.

He has also said that Norwich are after a central defender, defensive midfielder, playmaking forward and back-up goalie.

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Oxborough is likely to move to Salford on loan (and if not them, he'll be on loan somewhere this season).

Sinani played right wing for his previous club so can go there, and Placheta can also play on the right so there is probably more flexibility than this shows. It is from The Athletic so drawn up by Michael Bailey, who obviously knows his stuff.

He has also said that Norwich are after a central defender, defensive midfielder, playmaking forward and back-up goalie.

Defender I'm assuming is only if Godfrey goes? 

I know we're still early but we likely need to get a move on with getting a few out of the door- I can see 19 non homegrown players on that list.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I know we're still early but we likely need to get a move on with getting a few out of the door- I can see 19 non homegrown players on that list.

I think it's fair to say one of the 3 of Klose/Hanley or Zombi won't be here come season start. Injuries have been a massive problem this season and I don't think it's unforeseeable that one of them is traded for someone with a bit less of a "record".

1 minute ago, king canary said:

The Ben Gibson thing seems very real - so think Norwich won't wait for Godfrey to go before bring someone in - which isn't a bad idea considering the recent track record of injuries at the back.

Market is slow right now, although with players still on holiday that is often to be expected. Also with Europa and Champions League still ongoing there is a little bit a lag as deals often cascade down from the teams who are participating in those competitions. 

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I think it's fair to say one of the 3 of Klose/Hanley or Zombi won't be here come season start. Injuries have been a massive problem this season and I don't think it's unforeseeable that one of them is traded for someone with a bit less of a "record".

I doubt any of the three you've mentioned will leave - Hanley and Zimmermann are well liked at the club and bring vital experience. 

Klose will likely become a much more peripheral figure but it would probably be a struggle to find anyone that interested in him right now and I doubt the club are desperate to move him on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I doubt any of the three you've mentioned will leave - Hanley and Zimmermann are well liked at the club and bring vital experience. 

Klose will likely become a much more peripheral figure but it would probably be a struggle to find anyone that interested in him right now and I doubt the club are desperate to move him on.

I would still gladly argue that Zimmerman (on a good day) is our best centreback. Remember how much better we looked when he paired up with Godfrey as opposed to Klose?

Lots of butthurt Boro fans complaining about the parachute payments given we seem to be ahead of them in the race to sign Gibson. I'd wager it's got less to do with money and more to do with how utter cr*p Boro are at the moment!

9 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Lots of butthurt Boro fans complaining about the parachute payments given we seem to be ahead of them in the race to sign Gibson. I'd wager it's got less to do with money and more to do with how utter cr*p Boro are at the moment!

If Boro could agree a deal with Burnley I'd imagine Gibson would go there over Norwich to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Boro could agree a deal with Burnley I'd imagine Gibson would go there over Norwich to be honest. 

Why do you say that?

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Why do you say that?

I'm guessing because his Uncle owns the club and he has an affinity.  Ambition wise, you would think he would choose to come here I suppose.

Edited by seanthecanary

Why do you say that?

He's been training with them since January and had a major falling out with Burnley because they wouldn't let him move there in the previous transfer window. He is from the area, a huge Boro fan and as mentioned above his uncle owns the club. 

If it was just a one season loan, you can see him wanting to go to Boro as he'd be getting the same wages regardless which club he is at and even if Norwich were promoted, there is no guarantee for him that Norwich would be able to agree a fee to sign him permanently (or would want to). He might as well go to the club where he is most at home and hope that something permanent can be sorted the following summer.

He's been training with them since January and had a major falling out with Burnley because they wouldn't let him move there in the previous transfer window. He is from the area, a huge Boro fan and as mentioned above his uncle owns the club. 

If it was just a one season loan, you can see him wanting to go to Boro as he'd be getting the same wages regardless which club he is at and even if Norwich were promoted, there is no guarantee for him that Norwich would be able to agree a fee to sign him permanently (or would want to). He might as well go to the club where he is most at home and hope that something permanent can be sorted the following summer.

I wasn't aware of any of that background, that's unfortunate as I allowed myself to get somewhat excited at the possibility of signing him.

I wasn't aware of any of that background, that's unfortunate as I allowed myself to get somewhat excited at the possibility of signing him.

I think there is still a very good possibility, Boro have little cash and Burnley aren't going to be charitable on the deal. They already failed to agree terms in January and it isn't like they've suddenly come into any money since then. 

• Like 1

I think there is still a very good possibility, Boro have little cash and Burnley aren't going to be charitable on the deal. They already failed to agree terms in January and it isn't like they've suddenly come into any money since then. 

Very true, just because he's unwanted at Burnley doesn't mean he holds no value to them

On the Ben Gibson possibility, would we want him for what burnely would demand?

Undoubtedly very good at this level. And likely to be good enough for the premier League. (From what I've seen isn't him leaving burnley due to him falling out there, rather than not being good enough?)

However, considering his wages (must be pretty high for us) and the fee that Burnley would want - must want most of the 15m they paid for him back- at what cost do we want him?

I appreciate I'm one of the ones on here saying show ambition Delia and get spending for Christ sake! But equally if we only have 10million to spend, I'm unsure I want the bulk of it to be spent on him. 

So what do you think would be a good amount for him? (By good I mean how much do you think we should spend on him)

8 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

On the Ben Gibson possibility, would we want him for what burnely would demand?

Undoubtedly very good at this level. And likely to be good enough for the premier League. (From what I've seen isn't him leaving burnley due to him falling out there, rather than not being good enough?)

However, considering his wages (must be pretty high for us) and the fee that Burnley would want - must want most of the 15m they paid for him back- at what cost do we want him?

I appreciate I'm one of the ones on here saying show ambition Delia and get spending for Christ sake! But equally if we only have 10million to spend, I'm unsure I want the bulk of it to be spent on him. 

So what do you think would be a good amount for him? (By good I mean how much do you think we should spend on him)

So you're saying that he's not good enough so we must spend big bucks on him?

From what I’m reading he was very good a couple of years ago but at the moment nobody knows because he hasn’t played much football. I wouldn’t want to pay too much for or make him our highest earner

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Thought I read somewhere that there is still a large amount owed to Boro from when they sold him to Burnley, which clearly would get written off as part of the deal?

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Just now, Number9 said:

So you're saying that he's not good enough so we must spend big bucks on him?

No sorry Chap, I've not been clear.

I think he would be a good signing but if we spent 10m to 12m on him I'd say burnley got a good deal. 

That is me assuming that our transfer budget is around 10 or 15m. 

To clarify, id be keen on Gibson, if he doesn't take up like 90percent of our transfer budget, and his wages are sensible. I wouldn't break my back for him.

Sorry for the ramble

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

From what I’m reading he was very good a couple of years ago but at the moment nobody knows because he hasn’t played much football. I wouldn’t want to pay too much for or make him our highest earner

That's basically what I mean!! Thank you @FenwayFrank

• Like 1

I would be surprised if we were buying him outright, has to be a season loan one would think, then look again at season end, dependant on where City are  at that time.

28 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Thought I read somewhere that there is still a large amount owed to Boro from when they sold him to Burnley, which clearly would get written off as part of the deal?

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Even if it is ‘written off’ that is money Boro have budgeted for that they won’t get. So it is still a cost to them.

Gibson has two years left on his contract and is on wages ‘between £40k - £50k’ which no one will be matching. It means only a loan deal is a real possibility for him at the moment.

I suspect while Gibson would prefer a move to Boro, he wouldn’t turn down a move to Norwich if it is the only option available to him. 

Apparently, up until the complete break down in relations with Dyce in January he has trained well and been seen as a viable back up for Burnley, it’s just he’s never had the chance to get  in front of the established centre back pairing. 

Get him on loan with reasonable wage contribution and not tied to a deal if things don’t work out and Norwich are laughing. 

19 hours ago, Bill said:
20 hours ago, Badger said:

Their might be tax advantages too? We wouldn't want to sell everyone in the same window?

I would suggest that as the payments are over a number of years that would be mitigated (?)

At the moment losses made in the PL ie lost income through the virus would reduce any profit made this season

Hi Bill, I checked this to make sure.

Payments are made over a period of years and the amortisation costs of player contracts and the balance sheet of a company reflects this. So when we buy a player, the cost can be deducted from the profit and loss account over a number of years.

However, when you sell a player you no longer his registration can no longer be treated as an intangible asset in the balance sheet (as you no longer have him).

In short, you have the apparently anomalous position that the cost of buying a player appears in the profit over several years but the sale cost is reflected in the year he is sold. This partly explains why football clubs P & L account can be highly volatile even if they stay in the same division. In the case of Aarons, a loan to buy, could help with tax.

On another matter, you posted a really good link to old radio programmes (mainly spoken) a few months ago. I lost it when my hard drive died recently - I don't suppose you could repost it?

Thank you dear old brock,  hopefully your comments will end some of the silly stuff about transfers that gets put up here (hopefully, I add) _

otherwise -

Slighty off - but may be of interest to some

there are loads of old radio shows out there that can be listened to

78 Hancock's half hour

http://www.radioechoes.com/?page=series&genre=OTR-Comedy&series=Hancocks Half Hour

71 Round the Horne

http://www.radioechoes.com/?page=series&genre=OTR-Comedy&series=Round The Horne

206 Goon Show

http://www.radioechoes.com/?page=series&genre=OTR-Comedy&series=The Goon Show

and 479 Sherlock Holmes

http://www.radioechoes.com/?page=series&genre=OTR-Detective&series=Sherlock Holmes

plus many more - from well know British shows to 'hammy' old American detective shows ............. even our own Di ck Barton, Bulldog Drummond and the Saint

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Bill said:

Slighty off - but may be of interest to some

there are loads of old radio shows out there that can be listened to

Thanks for this. Looking forward to listening to the Goons and Hancock 

Shouldn't we be wary of signing a player who has played 6 games in 2 years.

I know he was highly rated before that, but then Drmic was good in 2014. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1