Jump to content
Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Its interesting the pattern this all follows. We get in a load of cheap signings early on in the window and then the stories of big money outward moves slowly start to materialise and fans are more accepting of the departures as we "already have replacements" and don;t tend to focus so much on the disparity between what we've spent and what has been received

Makes you wonder who is feeding these stories to the press at times and why we are "willing to listen" to offers. I expect similar stories to start breaking about the likes of Cantwell and Pukki soon. seems we are "willing to listen" to offers for any players provided they are high enough.

Yeah, and the Illuminati run the military-industrial complex with the assistance of giant lizards too.
 

I really should tuck this away somewhere so I can quote it at the end of the transfer window.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Jim Smith is finally getting to grips with the model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's obvious that the club will try to put a positive spin on all this and make it as palatable as possible to fans, but they seem to be pretty open about the strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Sounds like Jim Smith is finally getting to grips with the model.

 This one?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dreamt last night that we were bringing in Messi on trial. Bit of a weird one I'll admit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tired said:

Dreamt last night that we were bringing in Messi on trial. Bit of a weird one I'll admit.

I thought that was him in Asda just now. I wasnt 100% sure tho because of the mask. 

Edited by The Raptor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Is that not a reasonable position?

Depends if you apply it to all six of the players we have who are likely to attract significant bids. In isolation with each one it’s reasonable. Selling 5 or 6 of them because we receive acceptable bids for each one individually would be a massive let down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Its interesting the pattern this all follows. We get in a load of cheap signings early on in the window and then the stories of big money outward moves slowly start to materialise and fans are more accepting of the departures as we "already have replacements" and don;t tend to focus so much on the disparity between what we've spent and what has been received

Makes you wonder who is feeding these stories to the press at times and why we are "willing to listen" to offers. I expect similar stories to start breaking about the likes of Cantwell and Pukki soon. seems we are "willing to listen" to offers for any players provided they are high enough.

Is this another parody account?

Please tell me real people don't think like this? 

Or.... Perhaps.... 

We have got in the cheaper and younger targets fast because its easier to get done, and when the big outward transfers our underway we will know the money we have to go for the top targets. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Depends if you apply it to all six of the players we have who are likely to attract significant bids. In isolation with each one it’s reasonable. Selling 5 or 6 of them because we receive acceptable bids for each one individually would be a massive let down.

We are in a good financial position according to the club and don't have to sell so unless we sell and replace with better.... Anything less would be very disappointing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

We are in a good financial position according to the club and don't have to sell so unless we sell and replace with better.... Anything less would be very disappointing

I don't think they have ever said the bit in bold have they? Only an idiot would believe that we would replace a £20 million player with one worth more surely?

 

Obviously we would look for quality replacements, but they would fit the pattern we've seen and that quality would be latent on day one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I don't think they have ever said the bit in bold have they? Only an idiot would believe that we would replace a £20 million player with one worth more surely?

 

Obviously we would look for quality replacements, but they would fit the pattern we've seen and that quality would be latent on day one.

I think some on here would see anything less than spending all of our money as lacking ambition and therefore Delia pocketing it all 🤔, irrespective of whether the players coming in are the same or better.

Spending lots of money doesn't guarantee quality, we've been there and done that and failed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tired said:

Dreamt last night that we were bringing in Messi on trial. Bit of a weird one I'll admit.

Is he not paying his tax again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I think some on here would see anything less than spending all of our money as lacking ambition and therefore Delia pocketing it all 🤔, irrespective of whether the players coming in are the same or better.

Spending lots of money doesn't guarantee quality, we've been there and done that and failed.

I don;t expect us to spend all of it but i would expect us to spend some of it and I do not expect us to sell all 6 players likely to attract bids even if the valuation is met for all of them. There is a big difference between banking the cash for a couple of them (on the basis that you can keep the others and continue to build a side around them) and agreeing to sell any of them for whom we happen to get a bid that is at a level we consider acceptable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don;t expect us to spend all of it but i would expect us to spend some of it and I do not expect us to sell all 6 players likely to attract bids even if the valuation is met for all of them. There is a big difference between banking the cash for a couple of them (on the basis that you can keep the others and continue to build a side around them) and agreeing to sell any of them for whom we happen to get a bid that is at a level we consider acceptable. 

We will sell all of the players for whom we get an acceptable bid, that is the way of the world these days. The players, agents, other clubs all know this and so should you. It is not right or sensible to say to any of them "Ok we had a acceptable bid, club x is offering a long contract that doubles/trebles your salary for playing at a higher level but we've turned it down because x, y or z have already left".

Added to that I expect that "an acceptable bid" is lower than the figures posted on this board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don;t expect us to spend all of it but i would expect us to spend some of it and I do not expect us to sell all 6 players likely to attract bids even if the valuation is met for all of them. There is a big difference between banking the cash for a couple of them (on the basis that you can keep the others and continue to build a side around them) and agreeing to sell any of them for whom we happen to get a bid that is at a level we consider acceptable. 

I think that for each sale the goalposts will move slightly. We'll need to sell less therefore will probably play hardball more. 

The club hopefully already have targets we can go for if we sell for big money and the those targets will affect the attitude of the remaining players. If, for example, we bring in Van Der Hoorn and Larouci with the Lewis money, the remaining players may even see the squad as stronger therefore more likely to get promoted. If players genuinely think we'll be top three this year they're far less likely to be pining for a move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don;t expect us to spend all of it but i would expect us to spend some of it and I do not expect us to sell all 6 players likely to attract bids even if the valuation is met for all of them. There is a big difference between banking the cash for a couple of them (on the basis that you can keep the others and continue to build a side around them) and agreeing to sell any of them for whom we happen to get a bid that is at a level we consider acceptable. 

In all honesty I don't care who we sell as long as we get the right money in for each and we replace, what I care about is replacing them with the same or better.

Does it matter whether we sell Godfrey for £20m and get a new one in for £5m, not one little bit, does it matter if we sell Godfrey for £20m, spend £20m on a replacement who turns out to be not as good, absolutely.

Some (not referring to you Jim) will see the second option as the only option and if we dont the club lacks ambition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The club has to play hardball on the first bid otherwise we are there to be taken to the cleaners for all our players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

We are in a good financial position according to the club and don't have to sell so unless we sell and replace with better.... Anything less would be very disappointing

If we sell players for £20/30m just take the nought off to work out what we’ll pay for any incoming players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I don't think they have ever said the bit in bold have they? Only an idiot would believe that we would replace a £20 million player with one worth more surely?

 

Obviously we would look for quality replacements, but they would fit the pattern we've seen and that quality would be latent on day one.

Who mentioned money.. if we sell Emi I would hope they spend some money to find a better replacement or are you accepting that selling your best players makes you weaker? We sold Madison but to their credit improved the team... Nothing but the same again would be acceptable surely...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Depends if you apply it to all six of the players we have who are likely to attract significant bids. In isolation with each one it’s reasonable. Selling 5 or 6 of them because we receive acceptable bids for each one individually would be a massive let down.

Jaysus Jimbo, there you go again, is it not reasonable to listen to offers?  We dont HAVE TO accept, do we. I'd be pretty upset too if we let 5 or six of the better players leave . I'm Willing to be totally mocked and scorned if we do, just cant see it.

How about this for a scenario..... we listen to all offers, we then decide which, if any are acceptable, given price , whether or not we have a replacement that will be up to the job, plus god knows how many other factors that must be considered before okaying a sale.

Im not sure that your brand of catastrophic thinking is any way near what will actually happen. Its much more likely that we'll let 2 maybe 3 at a stretch go, whatever it takes to allow SW to get on with whatever plans he and DF  have.  The idea being that at the end of the forthcoming season we are stronger across the squad than we were at end of 2018/19.... with more improvements to be made before start of 2021/22.... whatever league we are in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

In all honesty I don't care who we sell as long as we get the right money in for each and we replace, what I care about is replacing them with the same or better.

Does it matter whether we sell Godfrey for £20m and get a new one in for £5m, not one little bit, does it matter if we sell Godfrey for £20m, spend £20m on a replacement who turns out to be not as good, absolutely.

Some (not referring to you Jim) will see the second option as the only option and if we dont the club lacks ambition.

We will not replace any of them with better.

 

if you sell one player for £20m then you may be able to make the team stronger by bringing in three or four as happened with Madders.

 

if we sell Lewis, Aaron’s, Godfrey, Buendia, Pukki and Cantwell then even if we get a combined £100m we will have a weaker team. You can’t replace half the team with cheaper players and make it stronger. Whether you can make it not much weaker is perhaps a different question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Jaysus Jimbo, there you go again, is it not reasonable to listen to offers?  We dont HAVE TO accept, do we. I'd be pretty upset too if we let 5 or six of the better players leave . I'm Willing to be totally mocked and scorned if we do, just cant see it.

How about this for a scenario..... we listen to all offers, we then decide which, if any are acceptable, given price , whether or not we have a replacement that will be up to the job, plus god knows how many other factors that must be considered before okaying a sale.

Im not sure that your brand of catastrophic thinking is any way near what will actually happen. Its much more likely that we'll let 2 maybe 3 at a stretch go, whatever it takes to allow SW to get on with whatever plans he and DF  have.  The idea being that at the end of the forthcoming season we are stronger across the squad than we were at end of 2018/19.... with more improvements to be made before start of 2021/22.... whatever league we are in.

My point westcorkio is that if our position is that we will sell any player for whom the valuation is met then we may well end up selling all of our gems (because it’s not inconceivable that the valuation is met for all of them by different clubs) and then whilst we may have £100m in the bank we will undoubtedly have a weaker team. So where do we draw the line. So we sell say two or three then tell the others they can’t go or is the clubs position that they can all go subject to the bids being high enough? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

My point westcorkio is that if our position is that we will sell any player for whom the valuation is met then we may well end up selling all of our gems (because it’s not inconceivable that the valuation is met for all of them by different clubs) and then whilst we may have £100m in the bank we will undoubtedly have a weaker team. So where do we draw the line. So we sell say two or three then tell the others they can’t go or is the clubs position that they can all go subject to the bids being high enough? 

We may have no say if the rumour that release clauses were inserted into some of the contracts when they signed new ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we do raise £80m from Buendia, Godfrey, Lewis and Aarons then surely we are going to break our transfer record with Naismith and get some ready made championship signings in. 
Alfie Mawson for example, also the likes of Connor Wickham or Dwight Gayle would be good business at champ level 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

We may have no say if the rumour that release clauses were inserted into some of the contracts when they signed new ones.

In which case the "we don't have to sell" and "we are in a strong position" may not be so true...hopefully we will keep the likes of Buendia and Pukki who will be crucial to any successful campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tommo said:

If we do raise £80m from Buendia, Godfrey, Lewis and Aarons then surely we are going to break our transfer record with Naismith and get some ready made championship signings in. 
Alfie Mawson for example, also the likes of Connor Wickham or Dwight Gayle would be good business at champ level 

You would definitely hope so given our improved financial position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We will not replace any of them with better.

 

if you sell one player for £20m then you may be able to make the team stronger by bringing in three or four as happened with Madders.

 

if we sell Lewis, Aaron’s, Godfrey, Buendia, Pukki and Cantwell then even if we get a combined £100m we will have a weaker team. You can’t replace half the team with cheaper players and make it stronger. Whether you can make it not much weaker is perhaps a different question. 

That’s quite interesting as your post sort of contradicts itself.

Lets firstly take Aaron’s, Godfrey and Lewis. They have been regulars in a back 4 for 2 seasons that all I hear is we can’t defend. With one of the best PL keepers behind them we had one of the worst defensive records in PL history. On the one hand I hear we need to improve our defence on the other hand I hear if we sell these 3 players we will be worse defensively.

Lets move to Pukki next. Pukki has scored one goal in about 6 months. Had this been anyone else ( Grabban a good example ) the first season and the beginning of this season would have been disregarded.

Finally Cantwell and Bundeia. Lots of the people on here that are now telling us no players must be sold were also telling us Cantwell and Bundeia were not good enough ( Cantwell in particular ). Now a player who should never wear the shirt again is suddenly worth 10’s of millions of pounds and despite the abuse he received ( especially after the Wigan game ) people now think he should stay loyal.

My view. Yep I feel we have had these guys in the team, but we have had them during their development. These guys will soon be at the next level. I would love that to be here next year, but alas I feel it won’t happen as these guys have had a taste and want more of the higher level. Can they be replaced with better ? Better than what ? Better than what they have been or better than they will be ? If it’s better than they have been ( Cantwell and Bundeia aside ) absolutely. We already have plenty at the club that could do that. Better than what they will be, probably not, but then don’t all players need to make the next move to get better. So if Pukki stays will he start scoring for fun again - who knows. If Aaron’s, Godfrey and Lewis stay are they going to become toP defenders next year or is it likely to be the season after. In fact will Lewis even get to play should Byram be fit. - Who knows. My belief is that Bundeia and Cantwell will tear the Championship apart, but the players we have been signing may equally tear the championship apart, that’s decisions for the likes of Farke to make.
If these players indicate they want out surely it is pointless trying to force them to stay. Can you imagine Bundeia being told he can’t move ? Yes I know he shouldn’t have signed a long term contract but a contract these days protects the club as much as it does the player. 
So to finish personally I trust Webber to rebuild, in fact it should be very exciting. However to do that successfully anyone that cannot commit 100 % needs to be moved on and quickly. 
I have my tin hat on at the ready.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Can you imagine Bundeia being told he can’t move ?

That would be a massive tantrum wouldn’t it ? 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...