Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

5 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Had a good long read through this thread.

The main question that springs to mind is: Have some of you actually heard yourselves?

Jesus. No wonder this forum is becoming a medium for people to just abuse each other.

I know, it’s tiresome. I think you have to learn to skip past it and try and tune it out. The only alternative is either block those who are p*ssing you off, which makes the thread disjointed, or give up on the forum completely. I don’t think those who feel unable to avoid sniping at each other will ever stop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

I thought it was ok if the owning club gives permission, 

so A C Milan can ask Godfreys agent if he would like to move and what sort of wages etc before they agree a fee but only with NCFC permission 

Of course they will know a figure we have in mind first 

Think you'll find that's what they refer to as an illegal approach to make contact with the players/agents first.

Although we all know that is likely how nearly all transfer are started these days.

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Think you'll find that's what they refer to as an illegal approach to make contact with the players/agents first.

Although we all know that is likely how nearly all transfer are started these days.

Exactly , Clubs rarely bid if the player is not interested 

I actually think Godfrey has the most potential of all our young players, he has leadership, versatility, strength, pace, an eye for goal, everything. His rise has been rapid from League One to Premier League in three years and while he is still rough round the edges I think he would thrive at a bigger club with better coaching and teammates. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I know, it’s tiresome. I think you have to learn to skip past it and try and tune it out. The only alternative is either block those who are p*ssing you off, which makes the thread disjointed, or give up on the forum completely. I don’t think those who feel unable to avoid sniping at each other will ever stop.

Personally I abandon anything that develops into a 'battle thread' as I've called them since the days of 1st Wiz. 

(Apart from that one thread with the diehard antagonist Leeds fan. I couldn't help myself there!)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Personally I abandon anything that develops into a 'battle thread' as I've called them since the days of 1st Wiz. 

(Apart from that one thread with the diehard antagonist Leeds fan. I couldn't help myself there!)

I'm starting to do that too. It's much easier to be consistently nice than getting ever more antagonistic and embattled.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm starting to do that too. It's much easier to be consistently nice than getting ever more antagonistic and embattled.

BINNER!🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

BINNER!🤣

That's just, like, your opinion maaaan.

10 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I actually think Godfrey has the most potential of all our young players, he has leadership, versatility, strength, pace, an eye for goal, everything. His rise has been rapid from League One to Premier League in three years and while he is still rough round the edges I think he would thrive at a bigger club with better coaching and teammates. 

I'm not sure whether he has the most potential (we'll have to wait and see), but I agree with what you're saying.

I think people may be forgetting that he is the only 'yoof' player to be played in the middle of the pitch - his mistakes are going to be more costly. 

Centre backs peak slightly later than in other positions - he still has 6 years of developing to do. There are not many young centre backs playing regularly in the PL. Only Soyuncu (24, 34apps) and Konsa (22, 25apps) come close to his achievements at such a young age.

Edited by Yellow and Green
  • Like 1

Why is Godfrey getting all this interest specifically from Italy? Is his style of play deemed to suit that league I wonder? I wouldn't want to sell him unless it was £20m + and that seems unlikely. His versatility is really useful.

18 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

Why is Godfrey getting all this interest specifically from Italy? Is his style of play deemed to suit that league I wonder? I wouldn't want to sell him unless it was £20m + and that seems unlikely. His versatility is really useful.

Generally he's more suited to a top level club than he is a relegation battler- teams that dominate and play on the front foot will like his ability on the ball and his willingness to carry it out.

I think him and Aarons are drawing interest from abroad also as they're both not the most physical. Italian and German teams will place a premium on technical ability over the physical side of the game, whereas English teams may look at Godfrey's struggles in the air or Aarons lack of height and wonder.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

I think the Italian clubs are the first to move for him but plenty of interested clubs from England not made a move yet 

but like yourself I was surprised how many clubs in Italy wanted him 

What Godfrey has got which is a massive plus at CB is pace and good on the ball 

as for most potential I would go for Aarons 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

Personally, I'd say that his style isn't really suited to Italy, as the tactical side of Godfrey's game is probably his biggest weakness and the Italians are quite big on that. 

Part of the valuation of Ben, Max and Todd is their nationality isn't it, as they help with the home grown quota? So I thought they would be relatively less to European teams.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Part of the valuation of Ben, Max and Todd is their nationality isn't it, as they help with the home grown quota? So I thought they would be relatively less to European teams.

Yeah which is one reason people were saying £20m for Max to Bayern- the value of being homgrown is obviously not a factor there. 

Looks like he's had both knees done and played all of last season? - should be OK now.

On the sky sports transfer website, they are saying that we have inquired over the availability of Ryan Bennett & Alfie Mawson of Fulham. Mawson made 28 appearances for Fulham this season, but hasn’t featured for them since January. We all know that Ryan Bennett has been on loan at Leicester for part of this season 

Bennett has one year of his contract left, and I cannot see Wolves offering him another one if they are still in the PL the following season,

What they will be doing is looking to cut the cost of the remaining 12 months of his contract

For us that would be cost effective, as a decent defender to push for promotion, without any long term commitment.

The question is whether he is good enough ... a question, not a statement

21 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Norwich linked with Ryan Bennett and Alfie Mawson

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/city-eye-bennett-return-with-mawson-also-of-interest-1-6774931

Alfie Mawson's got a horrific injury record so I can't see that one being a goer.

image.png.89670fcc1ab6882529387e50e1f2e016.png

Mawson is an interesting one, £20m fulham payed for him. He was destined for the top, until injuries blighted him. Seems a very Norwich signing.

Ryan Bennett’s a handy defender at champs level too. I’d be happy with either.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Excited to see how some on here react if we do resign Bennett 😁

How old is Benno these days? I wouldn't be opposed to signing him - makes a huge amount of sense in the circumstances.

Edit - Just checked. 30.

Edited by TheGoogler

44 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Norwich linked with Ryan Bennett and Alfie Mawson

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/city-eye-bennett-return-with-mawson-also-of-interest-1-6774931

Alfie Mawson's got a horrific injury record so I can't see that one being a goer.

image.png.89670fcc1ab6882529387e50e1f2e016.png

Us? Potentially signing a player with a horrific injury record and bones made of glass?

Welcome to Norwich city!

I don't think Bennett would be a very wise replacement for Godfrey. Assuming our other CBs stay, that would leave us with Klose (32), Bennett (30), Hanley (28) and Zimbo (27). Would rather we looked to sign a younger, up-and-coming centre back than a 30-year-old.

Although if Klose leaves too, Bennett would be a more than decent replacement.

Edited by Feedthewolf

The suggestion would be that we sign a few short term 'old hands' to have a decent go at promotion, then see where we are in May

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bill said:

The suggestion would be that we sign a few short term 'old hands' to have a decent go at promotion, then see where we are in May

It's their knees that bother me, not their hands

30 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Us? Potentially signing a player with a horrific injury record and bones made of glass?

Welcome to Norwich city!

Fulham defender Alfie Mawson injured himself while changing his boots, says manager Claudio Ranieri.

Mawson, 24, a £20m summer signing from Swansea, has been sidelined since 29 December with a knee injury.

And prior to Fulham's clash with Tottenham on Sunday, Ranieri revealed the bizarre reason for his absence.

"It was a very strange injury. He just changed his boots. It was unbelievable," said Ranieri. "He needs more time. How long? I don't know."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46926248

Whilst he was criticised heavily whilst with ncfc previously, he may well suit Farke's style of play and ticks the 'experience' box that we are looking to add. 

Bennett for Godfrey? No

Bennett for Klose? I'd probably take that.

• Like 1