Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

I think it's a classic case of transfer dominoes. I saw a rumour linking Emi with Valencia as a replacement for Ferran Torres who is now confirmed Manchester-bound, for example. Our major moves probably won't happen until wheels start turning elsewhere.

The pinkun guys are suggesting Mumba is one for the first team picture - it’s bit of a jump from a handful of on-loan games for South Shields to the Champs, though.

Agree with the above. but Zimm looks limited in the PL may not be 1st choice later in the season - as with Tettey

Watching yesterday and Pukki certainly did not look fully fit, so it might be some of these who are moved on (Trybull)

31 minutes ago, Bill said:

Charlton's Bonne certainly looks what we need - though that is only on the basis of a few minutes clips

However whether a 'take it by the scruff of the neck' and score player would fit into our 20 passes and walk it into the net policy is another matter

The clips show Bonne winning headers against defenders - not our sort of player at all.

Mumba officially confirmed.

Bailey on Twitter also confirms he's one for the first team, as 'right back cover' which would make the sudden Max-to-Bayern links seem ominous.

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Piece here from the North East on Mumba give some insight to the player, but also the car crash that is Sunderland.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderlands-academy-focus-inside-controversial-sale-bali-mumba-and-questions-raised-ahead-norwich-city-move-2925263

What the above highlights is the foolishness of the

'get the club into debt' numpties

It looks like Sunderland in desperate need to meet previous commitments have shed the type of employee such as Webber, and are having to shed players like Mumba to stay afloat

But hey, they showed 'hambition' so they must be right .... struggling in the 3rd tier

• Like 1

Good luck to the lad, clearly well thought of.  Still think it’s a big jump, if Aarons does leave as anticipated and we are relying on Byram as first choice, you kind-of think Mumba will be needed quite a bit to cover inevitable injuries.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Good luck to the lad, clearly well thought of.  Still think it’s a big jump, if Aarons does leave as anticipated and we are relying on Byram as first choice, you kind-of think Mumba will be needed quite a bit to cover inevitable injuries.

There is also Jordan Thomas who came off the bench yesterday. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
Got the guys name wrong!

It is the same 'big jump' that Aarons, lewis and Godfrey made - and it could be that Mumba will go out on loan for a few months to sharpen him up

as I expect other ;newbies will

• Like 1

If we're going to play with two wingers they'll be less pressure on the full backs to get as high up the pitch as Max & Lewis do currently, hopefully they'll be able to concentrate on defending, especially stopping crosses.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

What the above highlights is the foolishness of the

'get the club into debt' numpties

It looks like Sunderland in desperate need to meet previous commitments have shed the type of employee such as Webber, and are having to shed players like Mumba to stay afloat

But hey, they showed 'hambition' so they must be right .... struggling in the 3rd tier

Sunderland haven't had an employee like Webber. Nor have they shown ambition. Ellis Short spent a lot of money, eventually writing off £200,000,000, but then allowed a couple of chancers, who make Delia Smith look a wealthy owner by comparison, to get their hands on the club. Any commitments Donald and Methven have made have been peanuts because that's all they have; and they haven't invested many of their peanuts because, unlike Norwich's owners, they're not supporters of the club they own.

12 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

If we're going to play with two wingers they'll be less pressure on the full backs to get as high up the pitch as Max & Lewis do currently, hopefully they'll be able to concentrate on defending, especially stopping crosses.

Nice thinking but Farkes comments about Bali say otherwise. 

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I don't see two wingers in DF's tactics. Two defensive midfield players yes.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I don't see two wingers in DF's tactics. Two defensive midfield players yes.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see 3 CBs next season, giving Lewis and Aarons, or whoever takes their place, a bit more freedom to get forward. 

19 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Exactly. I said that in a previous discussion. If we've got at least one pace merchant on a wing, we'll pin their full-back and with a bit of luck, might even take their wide midfielder as well.

A lot of people seem to think the ability of a team is a total sum game - it really is not.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see 3 CBs next season, giving Lewis and Aarons, or whoever takes their place, a bit more freedom to get forward. 

If we're not playing two wingers, that's precisely what I'd like to see. We're a couple of centre-halves light for that though, although I would maintain playing wingbacks should make us more solid down the middle of the park. We've looked pretty vulnerable down the middle so anything that gums up the works better when out of possession is fine by me.

Something like a 3-5-1-1 as plan A, going to a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 as a plan B would be the preference at my end, but we'll see.

It’s good signing, as for expecting to play wingers, I think we will see a front three, the two wingers whoever they may be will push up and our wing backs again whoever will be pushed to deliver the ball into the box quicker.

Can’t see us using three CB not in the championship.... I can see us using three CM and not having an out and out number 10, but one which drops in and out. 4-3-3.

This young squad appears to be built round speed and flexibility, could be an exciting team to watch if all cogs turn together!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Indy said:

It’s good signing, as for expecting to play wingers, I think we will see a front three, the two wingers whoever they may be will push up and our wing backs again whoever will be pushed to deliver the ball into the box quicker.

Can’t see us using three CB not in the championship.... I can see us using three CM and not having an out and out number 10, but one which drops in and out. 4-3-3.

This young squad appears to be built round speed and flexibility, could be an exciting team to watch if all cogs turn together!

Is it wrong I am praying emi is still here to be deployed further up the pitch?

Just now, Dr Greenthumb said:

Is it wrong I am praying emi is still here to be deployed further up the pitch?

Not at all, in fact I believe he’s the ideal attacking CM as he busts a gut to get back to defend, his all round game is suited to that. Just imagine his through balls to Hernandez and Placheta with their speed! We now have a choice including two new big young holding CM to add to the mix.

I really see big turnaround with fringe players and three first team youngsters going, we have McCullum left back, Mumba right back and Byram, so can see Lewis, Aaron’s, Cantwell, Steipermann, Trybull, Klose, being out the door very soon, coffers in the bank and wages down a fair bit.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

They had no problem going forward, getting back seemed to be the issue!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Not at all, in fact I believe he’s the ideal attacking CM as he busts a gut to get back to defend, his all round game is suited to that. Just imagine his through balls to Hernandez and Placheta with their speed! We now have a choice including two new big young holding CM to add to the mix.

I really see big turnaround with fringe players and three first team youngsters going, we have McCullum left back, Mumba right back and Byram, so can see Lewis, Aaron’s, Cantwell, Steipermann, Trybull, Klose, being out the door very soon, coffers in the bank and wages down a fair bit.

I’m all for that too mate, I’d like to keep Stiepermann. I just feel a player as talented as EMI shouldn’t spend as much of the game on the edge of our box as he was!

• Like 1

Soto is training with SC Telstar, possibly a loan there while we wait for a work permit. 

Jaiyesimi has signed for Swindon, good luck to him. 

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Something like a 3-5-1-1 as plan A, going to a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 as a plan B would be the preference at my end, but we'll see.

or maybe the outfield players position on the pitch at any given moment is determined by where the ball and/or the opposition players are

Now that Bali has signed, does anyone know if Matthew Dennis (the kid from arsenal academy) has signed as well? I think they were both seen in Norwich together (on gentlemen's walk as per bali's insta) I'd assume him to be in u23s anyway...

7 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Now that Bali has signed, does anyone know if Matthew Dennis (the kid from arsenal academy) has signed as well? I think they were both seen in Norwich together (on gentlemen's walk as per bali's insta) I'd assume him to be in u23s anyway...

He has signed. Just not announced - I guess he'll be going into the U23s so the club might not make a fancy announcement about it. I expect once Soto's loan is sorted the club will do a low key double announcement, wouldn't surprised if Dennis is sent on loan straight away, like Gilmour was.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I’m all for that too mate, I’d like to keep Stiepermann. I just feel a player as talented as EMI shouldn’t spend as much of the game on the edge of our box as he was!

Agree re. Stiepermann. Suspect he wouldn't mind having a speedy winger or two around him as it gives him more space down the middle. He's just one of those who clearly couldn't make the leap, but would be excellent in a central spine for the Championship.