Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

Connor Southwell’s recent article re: the attacking options on EDP suggests we’re likely to keep faith with Idah and not bring anyone in if Hugill stays. The powers that be suggest Idah can take the Prem by surprise...

Thoughts? Bit of a leap of faith there given how few minutes Idah’s clocked up this last season. 

he also said we'd be looking at a winger/striker type which would help cover things in much the same way Son does at Spurs.

4 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

he also said we'd be looking at a winger/striker type which would help cover things in much the same way Son does at Spurs.

I suggested this a while back as potentially a cute move. Someone who could come on in place of Pukki or play sort-of alongside him. But I have no idea who might fit that bill.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Er? He had a couple of performances earlier on in the season which were promising, equally he was fast tracked in due to the loss of focus of Cantwell AND Buendia and the injuries to Hernandez and Dowell.

Also, not really sure why you are putting the Murphy's in the same bracket as Redmond. Redmond has made an appearance for England and is an important part of the Southampton squad. He has kicked on, and relatively successfully so. Perhaps not onto the levels of a top six side, but then how often does that happen? Maddison is the most obvious of recent years. Probably Bellamy before that.

As for Placheta... he didn't come through young. We signed him last summer when he was 22. All the others you mention were younger than that when first introduced to the first team squad.

Placheta needed this season to adapt, Farke has said as much really. He's been pushing himself to hard, and like in a game of footy, if you try too hard and don't relax you often try to force the ball and surrender possession. As others have said, he'll be one to keep an eye on next season. Though at the same time, depending on what happens to the squad, he may also go out on loan which wouldn't be a huge shock.

After all, Sinani is out on loan and is a year older.

I'm really not sure where you got the idea I was comparing the subsequent careers of Redmond and the Murphy twins. My point was simply that those 3 had impressed me more in their first Norwich seasons than Placheta has done at a similar-ish stage of his career.

13 hours ago, horsefly said:

Yep! I remember the last time we went up many on here were calling for Cantwell to go out on loan to a Championship level club as he had not done enough to secure a regular starting place in that promotion year. He was undoubtedly one of the few PL successes the following season. Placheta may well prove the same. One thing for sure is that Farke rates him highly and will make exactly the right judgement regarding his development next season.

3 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Connor Southwell’s recent article re: the attacking options on EDP suggests we’re likely to keep faith with Idah and not bring anyone in if Hugill stays. The powers that be suggest Idah can take the Prem by surprise...

Thoughts? Bit of a leap of faith there given how few minutes Idah’s clocked up this last season. 

I agree with this. We already have a well balanced group of strikers. In fact I have posted about it here

1 hour ago, shruk4 said:

I agree with this. We already have a well balanced group of strikers. In fact I have posted about it here

hmm... not totally convinced. Wouldn't want to rely on Hugill and Idah if Pukki was crocked. If we can add 1 more physical striker to the side who can comfortably lead the line, score goals and fill in on the wing then I hope we get 1 more in. If it means Idah isn't getting much of a look in come the end of August, can always loan him out.

• Like 1

So to summarise the Connor Southwell article - the information has clearly been supplied by the club

Pukki, Idah, and Dowell will definitely be in the squad next year

Buendia and Cantwell will be here if they're not sold.

Hernandez, Stiepermann, Placheta and Hugill have been told they can leave, either loan or permanent deals, but the club isn't actively looking to push them out.

Josh Martin out on loan.

2 hours ago, shruk4 said:

No, no, no and a hundred more negatives.

Hugill is an impact PL striker at best. Idah promises, but we cannot rely upon what might be.

Even workhorses like Pukki need help. What if he picked up an injury game one?

We should be looking for a.n. other striker as a matter of some importance.

There has been relatively little mention of strikers on here so far. It's been mostly about central defenders and defensive midfielders (assuming we lose Skipp.)

Perhaps strikers should be considered more.

I like Eddie Nketia from Arsenal, but that's out as the Gunners apparently want £20m.

Perhaps we shoud look at Reading's forwards as a reasonab ly priced option.

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

No, no, no and a hundred more negatives.

Hugill is an impact PL striker at best. Idah promises, but we cannot rely upon what might be.

Even workhorses like Pukki need help. What if he picked up an injury game one?

We should be looking for a.n. other striker as a matter of some importance.

This seems to me to be bit of a traumatic reaction to the latter half of the 19/20 season. Pukki is still Pukki, Hugill is bit of an upgrade on Drimic and Idah is two years older and more experienced. Compare that to the situation in the lower midfield where we at the start of next season will be missing Tettey, Vrancic, most likely Skipp and have an injured McLean. Having three decent options at striker is more than enough.

1 minute ago, shruk4 said:

This seems to me to be bit of a traumatic reaction to the latter half of the 19/20 season. Pukki is still Pukki, Hugill is bit of an upgrade on Drimic and Idah is two years older and more experienced. Compare that to the situation in the lower midfield where we at the start of next season will be missing Tettey, Vrancic, most likely Skipp and have an injured McLean. Having three decent options at striker is more than enough.

I wouldn't take that risk.

Doubt Farke would. We'll see.

25 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

So to summarise the Connor Southwell article - the information has clearly been supplied by the club

Pukki, Idah, and Dowell will definitely be in the squad next year

Buendia and Cantwell will be here if they're not sold.

Hernandez, Stiepermann, Placheta and Hugill have been told they can leave, either loan or permanent deals, but the club isn't actively looking to push them out.

Josh Martin out on loan.

It's a really interesting article, as interesting for me as the Webber interviews.

I do like the look of Idah and think he's got a lot going for him. This is obviously a massive show of faith in him - but I worry if it doesn't work out we are placing a lot of eggs in a Pukki shaped basket once more. 

From what I've seen of him, I think Hugill has the ability to contribute in the PL, but to be a regular goal scorer? I have my doubts.

But the other side to that argument is that we tried to bring in a player to play rotation with Pukki last season in the form of Drmic and look how that panned out. Will we get a player capable of being better than Idah, within our budget and wage structure and capable of making an impact on the Premier League? It's a tough choice. 

Michael Bailey's Webber interview seems to suggest we are trying to follow Burnley's 2015/2016 Premier League return in which Dyche built a smaller group of players who were relied upon week in, week out rather than massive squads rotated around. That squad had two goal scorers - Sam Vokes who got 15 and Andre Grey with 24. My concern is we have our Andre Grey - but not our Sam Vokes.

The other interesting element from that article is just how many players we're prepared to let go of. We could in theory, according to this article, see a summer which brings about the sales or loans of seven of our attacking players. 

I expected a summer of five or six additions and a similar number of leavers. I'm now left thinking we may see whole sale changes. 

And that leaves me rather nervous, if I'm entirely honest with you.

• Like 1

I'm just catching up on Michael Bailey's Athletic article

“I’d like to think we will break our (£10 million) transfer record — not that it’s the aim. I’d like to get players in for nothing, ideally! But the calibre of player we’re pitching for is quite high, which is exciting,” says Webber.

3 hours ago, shruk4 said:

I think there’s probably some angst because the other 2 haven’t really shown they can do “it” for us yet so to speak. In their defence they haven’t really had a chance. We know Pukki will start every game if fit. I guess the worry is if he gets injured will the other 2 be good enough to fill that void at Prem level. When they haven’t really shown it at champ level.

On the flip side it’s almost impossible for a club like Norwich to sign a striker who we can say “yep that’s a premier league striker”

If Pukki stays fit all season it’s all a moot point imo. 

4 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

hmm... not totally convinced. Wouldn't want to rely on Hugill and Idah if Pukki was crocked. If we can add 1 more physical striker to the side who can comfortably lead the line, score goals and fill in on the wing then I hope we get 1 more in. If it means Idah isn't getting much of a look in come the end of August, can always loan him out.

I don’t think you’ll find many strikers who are described as physical who also play on the wing tbh. Personally I think, if we do sign another striker it needs to be in the Pukki mould. One that can spring an offside trap and good first touch to bring others into play. I don’t think we play to the strengths of a physical striker which is why we haven’t seen the best of Hugill. 

1 hour ago, BigGrantsTash said:

I don’t think you’ll find many strikers who are described as physical who also play on the wing tbh. Personally I think, if we do sign another striker it needs to be in the Pukki mould. One that can spring an offside trap and good first touch to bring others into play. I don’t think we play to the strengths of a physical striker which is why we haven’t seen the best of Hugill. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of when we had Simeon Jackson, Cameron Jerome or Leon McKenzie as our alternative options. Someone who keeps the opposition guessing, will run themselves into the ground and cause havoc. Doesn't have to be the most technical. 4 options up front would be ideal really.

We need a fourth striker. Goals win matches and we need strong contributors this season. 

As said if Pukki was out injured for any period of time to rely on Hugill and Idah is not enough. I value their contributons and I am excited to see what Idah can do. But I would like one more striker in.

For me we still need the spine along with other additions and hence why if a few players leave as they want first team football I have no problems with that for the list with Marco and Onel.

We need a second striker, number 10, 2 x DM, a centre half, a winger if onel or placheta goes, a full back and a goalkeeper.

As said in another post I am glad we are not looking so much as bolstering the squad as to those that have a first team CV and will battle with our current first team players such as Dowell for that spot.

50 minutes ago, barclayboy1902 said:

Could Swansea's Ayew be perfect back up for pukki,similar style and influential.

High wages, and no resale value though

So therefore extremely unlikely.

Definitely in the camp that feel we need another striker. I’m happy with what we’ve got, and I think it’s a good balance of styles there. But I’d like to think we can unearth another striker from say Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, the next Aguero/Jimenez/Suarez would be nice of course. Granted that’s easier said than done, but that’s just to give an idea of the mould of striker I’m thinking we could do with next season, the small strong technical dude. We have an excellent recruitment department now, and a base down in South America, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we unearth such a player of that ilk this summer though, we’ve been scouting out there for some time now. In fact it appears that is a market that the club are very much tapping into so we could well be in for some more Argentinian flair arriving  this summer with any luck. 

I don’t think we need four strikers for one position but we do need to add quality, somebody to seriously compete with Pukki for the starting role. In an ideal world Idah would go on loan in the EFL and score a hatful for a season with Hugill as third choice who could come on and put himself about from the bench if need be.

I personally don't think hugill is Premier league. Nice guy and good for the dressing room maybe but for me it has to be Pukki, Idah, A.N. Other plus the winger/striker type people have been mentioning. I can see Hugill being a target for the likes of Sunderland should they be promoted. Ideal type for them who would play regularly. Just my thoughts and am sure many will disagree but it would be oh  so boring if we didn't eh? 

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

No. I will send nutty £7 (that's the number of league goals scored by Hugill and Idah this season) if we don't sign another first-team squad striker.

I would be wary of taking the Southwell article as a definitive summary of the club's transfer thinking/plans, and only partly because the summer window doesn't close for another three and a half months, and a great deal can happen in that time.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Definitely in the camp that feel we need another striker. I’m happy with what we’ve got, and I think it’s a good balance of styles there. But I’d like to think we can unearth another striker from say Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, the next Aguero/Jimenez/Suarez would be nice of course. Granted that’s easier said than done, but that’s just to give an idea of the mould of striker I’m thinking we could do with next season, the small strong technical dude. We have an excellent recruitment department now, and a base down in South America, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we unearth such a player of that ilk this summer though, we’ve been scouting out there for some time now. In fact it appears that is a market that the club are very much tapping into so we could well be in for some more Argentinian flair arriving  this summer with any luck. 

Yes please. Another Emi would be wonderful. And they have always produced some excellent but slightly scary centre halves. 

Also in the camp for getting another striker in.

Whilst I understand the fact that we already have three strikers competing for one position, they have to remember that we were too reliant on Pukki in the PL last time and can't make that mistake again. Hugill has a role to play but I think it's fair to say we can't rely on him to score the goals required. Idah is great but only has a few league starts to his name.

They also have to remember that we have had shocking injury records every season since Farke arrived. We had to play with Stiepermann up front this season and an 18 year old Idah vs United in the PL.

The PL is all about quality in both boxes and we can't mess about. 

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Kieran Scott recently said that there are unlikely to be any signings coming from South America, at least in the summer window, as it’s impossible to go and physically scout any players.

It’s a shame as Norwich have been preparing to bring in players from this market but the pandemic has put a delay on that. 

The issue with signing another striker is they tend to be expensive. How much would Norwich have to pay to get someone as good as Idah? Is it worth sinking that much funds into someone who’ll almost certainly be on the bench more than starting? 

For a team that plays with one striker, having 4 is excessive and waste of resources. We’ve seen the club try and bring in backup to Pukki with Drmic and Hugill and it is really difficult to find the right player, at least with Hugill he doesn’t seem to be too put out in the back up role. 

It is also worth noting that Idah has mainly be used as a wide player on the left who tucks in when he’s been played. That is where he scored from when against Barnsley. 

I can only really see Norwich spending on another striker if they sell Hugill (which was kind of hinted at in the PinkUn piece).

Obviously if someone they like appears to be available at a good price, we could see Norwich swoop, but I expect other positions are being prioritised and with a limited budget there are only so many players Norwich can bring in. 

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The issue with signing another striker is they tend to be expensive. How much would Norwich have to pay to get someone as good as Idah? Is it worth sinking that much funds into someone who’ll almost certainly be on the bench more than starting? 

For a team that plays with one striker, having 4 is excessive and waste of resources. We’ve seen the club try and bring in backup to Pukki with Drmic and Hugill and it is really difficult to find the right player, at least with Hugill he doesn’t seem to be too put out in the back up role. 

It is also worth noting that Idah has mainly be used as a wide player on the left who tucks in when he’s been played. That is where he scored from when against Barnsley. 

I can only really see Norwich spending on another striker if they sell Hugill (which was kind of hinted at in the PinkUn piece).

Obviously if someone they like appears to be available at a good price, we could see Norwich swoop, but I expect other positions are being prioritised and with a limited budget there are only so many players Norwich can bring in. 

Bethnal, that's true, but there is a counter-argument that the club only has one striker who at the moment can remotely be guaranteed to score in the Premier League, and even Pukki is perhaps not going to be quite as good as he was last time before he got injured.

This is why I like the idea of a striker-winger, but I don't mean a winger who can score some goals. I mean someone who can genuinely perform either role. I am not sure I've ever seen him play, but probably someone on the same lines as Michael Antonio of West Ham.

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Bethnal, that's true, but there is a counter-argument that the club only has one striker who at the moment can remotely be guaranteed to score in the Premier League, and even Pukki is perhaps not going to be quite as good as he was last time before he got injured.

This is why I like the idea of a striker-winger, but I don't mean a winger who can score some goals. I mean someone who can genuinely perform either role. I am not sure I've ever seen him play, but probably someone on the same lines as Michael Antonio of West Ham.

Yeah a player with some flexibility would be good, but it adds to their cost unfortunately. It is a conundrum, and the same one Norwich had when promoted last time - that time they felt that Drmic could be the answer, which I totally understood the thinking behind as he had many similar attributes to Pukki. Unfortunately he required lots of gametime to start to find his way back from previous injuries and that is something Norwich couldn't afford to give him.

Norwich just aren't going to be able to get anyone who can be relied on to score goals in the Premier League with the budget they have, it will always have to be a gamble so in that sense maybe it is best to just gamble on Idah.

Overall, Norwich do need spread their goals out more and hopefully Buendia and Dowell can continue to chip in at a higher level as they have done this season. Buendia has got into much more dangerous positions all season than his previous two campaigns, if he keeps doing that there is a chance he could get 6 - 10 goals and be the difference between relegation and survival. Especially if Cantwell/Dowell can get 10 between them as well.

• Like 1