Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

Gauld would be one who fits the template quite well - an intelligent player and highly-rated youngster who's slightly lost his way or not kicked on and therefore not much of a gamble financially.

That Southwell article on the front page is both intriguing and worrying in equal measure. He will have been briefed on that by Webber i'm sure.

Encouraging that we are looking more at physical metrics of potential signings given our previous experience in the premier league. However, 2 elements from that article that are less encouraging are (i) that Placheta was the first signing based on this new phycial data approach. That makes a lot of sense in some ways as he's strong and quick but on the other hand he has absolutely zero end product and very questionable decision making and (ii) that we are not targetting any individual positions or areas of the team for strengthening. I take this with a pinch of salt as I find it hard to believe.

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

That Southwell article on the front page is both intriguing and worrying in equal measure. He will have been briefed on that by Webber i'm sure.

Encouraging that we are looking more at physical metrics of potential signings given our previous experience in the premier league. However, 2 elements from that article that are less encouraging are (i) that Placheta was the first signing based on this new phycial data approach. That makes a lot of sense in some ways as he's strong and quick but on the other hand he has absolutely zero end product and very questionable decision making and (ii) that we are not targetting any individual positions or areas of the team for strengthening. I take this with a pinch of salt as I find it hard to believe.

The information came from the evening with Kieran Scott hosted by NCFSC the other day.

The physical data he said will help the club to be able to make comparisons with leagues they are not so familiar recruiting from - it is a vital tool with the new work permit rules as markets that previous weren't an option now are (South American Leagues, K-League, J-League etc). Although, Scott saying they won't be rushing to make signings of players from new leagues that they haven't been able to physically scout yet means we are unlikely to see any such novel recruitment this summer - although Norwich have carried out in person scouting in South American for a couple of years now - so any long term targets there might be a possibility.

I wouldn't worry too much about the quotes as I think it is just the club being guarded about the upcoming window. The Head of Recruitment isn't going to speak at a public event and start identifying positions and players the club are interested in. The good news is that they seem well prepared for the window and I wouldn't be surprised in new signings start to get announced not that long in the future. Last summer Norwich had already secured a bunch before the season even ended.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

(ii) that we are not targetting any individual positions or areas of the team for strengthening. I take this with a pinch of salt as I find it hard to believe.

I was surprised to read this too. Thinking about it though, I'm sure they have a list of targets for all positions. Every player has their price and they'd want to be prepared for all eventualities.   

3 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

The Birmingham Mail seems convinced that Emi is joining villa for 35 to 40 million. 

'BIRMINGHAM mail'

Says it all. If he goes it's to a big club, not them.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'BIRMINGHAM mail'

Says it all. If he goes it's to a big club, not them.

You’ve already been told on here that they can’t afford it and Emi is staying at Norwich. 

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good for me

And they are in a relegation battle with West Ham next season so maybe planning for the Championship already. 

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Would be hard to turn down that much money, but if any club does offer that sort of money and we resist it and/or Emi wants to stay, then it would be demonstrating two very important things - that we don't need to sell players to carry on at the highest level and that the player himself is happy that his career development ambition is able to be met at Norwich.

No it's quite easy to turn it down. You just open your mouth and say no. Most of us do it several times a day.

We have heard how the club consider Emi the first £40m sale. In my view that's the minimum he goes for. And he should go to a club with European football. Otherwise what's the point? The only exception to that might be Arsenal. But definitely not Aston Villa. 

If Emi leaves it will be to a club offering European football otherwise its pointless to him. That rules out Villa, and now Arsenal too. 

4 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

See we're apparently interest in getting Murphy back from Newcastle 🤷🏻‍♂️

Says a lot about how much Farke rates Onel and placheta then if he's a serious contender to replace either of them..

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Says a lot about how much Farke rates Onel and placheta then if he's a serious contender to replace either of them..

Think the key word there is "apparently". 😉

Me, I smell more bovine excrement than in PM's Questions. 😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think the key word there is "apparently". 😉

Me, I smell more bovine excrement than in PM's Questions. 😄

That's why I used it. 

That would be a step backwards....

• Like 1

Just now, Rich T The Biscuit said:

That's why I used it. 

I gathered that, and was explaining it thus to Cambridge! Step backwards is an understatement. Might as well put a French flag on it and call it a retreat. (Why do they have the red and blue stripes on their flag anyway? 😉 )

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

That's why I used it. 

I'm not sure why it would be such a step backwards. Sure Jacob hasn't had the best time at Newcastle but he's achieved significantly more than Placheta has.

• Like 1

Murphy in a Farke team could do well IMO, not sure about him playing at right back for us mind!

He'd offer good cover for Cantwell / Buendia and would be a much better option to have than Hernandez or Placheta off the bench.

He'd also be a great option at right wing back when Farke wants to play that 'kitchen sink' 3-5-2 system. 

Not sure why we'd turn our noses up at the idea of this transfer as if we're above it. Murphy is currently playing week-in week-out for Newcastle, Lewis on the other hand - our first choice left back of last season - is currently second choice to Paul Dummett FFS for the same team. 

That said, I'm not sure any transfer would represent value for money, would they take £8mil? Seems unlikely given they paid £12mil. I think there is probably better money to be spent elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Murphy in a Farke team could do well IMO, not sure about him playing at right back for us mind!

He'd offer good cover for Cantwell / Buendia and would be a much better option to have than Hernandez or Placheta off the bench.

He'd also be a great option at right wing back when Farke wants to play that 'kitchen sink' 3-5-2 system. 

Not sure why we'd turn our noses up at the idea of this transfer as if we're above it. Murphy is currently playing week-in week-out for Newcastle, Lewis on the other hand - our first choice left back of last season - is currently second choice to Paul Dummett FFS for the same team. 

That said, I'm not sure any transfer would represent value for money, would they take £8mil? Seems unlikely given they paid £12mil. I think there is probably better money to be spent elsewhere. 

A very fair assessment.

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure why it would be such a step backwards. Sure Jacob hasn't had the best time at Newcastle but he's achieved significantly more than Placheta has.

Placheta is in his first season so once settled and had a full pre-season we may see a different player.

Murphy has been loaned out to various championship clubs and not set the world alight and has done OK since he's been back in the Newcastle side.

If they wanted to keep him you'd think that would have been sorted before now so they clearly aren't convinced he's good enough so why waste money.

What would his motivation be like having taken the step back to come and play for us again 🤷🏻‍♂️

Never believe anything until its been officially denied.

Posh cars parked at dogey angles is usually a clue something is going on.😉

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Never believe anything until its been officially denied.

Posh cars parked at dogey angles is usually a clue something is going on.😉

That was the Lambert days and as we know he didn't have much class.

Webber and Farke are much more parking nearly in between the lines 😬

Not sure we are the type to go back if that makes any sense, though I’m sure Webber has said words to that effect, in fact I think he’s made some veiled criticism of the Murphys. 

Newcastle likely to want 8-10 million and I’d imagine there must be other options out there without the potential baggage attached.

• Like 1

I think Placheta is going to surprise a few people next season. We'll be playing deeper and the opposition will be playing higher, leaving more space on the counter. He still looks very raw, but with 26-man squads there's every chance he could go to the Euros this summer, and that could really boost his confidence. I trust our coaching team to get better out of him next year, despite the higher level.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think Placheta is going to surprise a few people next season. We'll be playing deeper and the opposition will be playing higher, leaving more space on the counter. He still looks very raw, but with 26-man squads there's every chance he could go to the Euros this summer, and that could really boost his confidence. I trust our coaching team to get better out of him next year, despite the higher level.

Agree with you on this too. I think a lot have written him off too soon.

I think it'd be Hernandez who drops out if another winger comes in.

6 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Dozzel told to find a new club by town apparently.... doubt we are interested now

Lower chumps for him I suspect (if he has an enthusiastic agent of course).

while he may have been 'bigged' up down there, it is clear he is not the next Cantwell etc etc etc

10 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

He may do but he needs to add a lot to his game. I'm concerned he looks so raw when he's already 23 and getting towards the prime of his career.

There's a footballer in there somewhere with Placheta. He doesn't stick around at one club too long, but doubt he will turn down Premier League football. Another season with Farke will do wonders for him.

If Murphy is a serious contender then I wonder if Onel might be a surprise exit?