Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

The question is who is being brought in to get us promoted. and who is seen as being part of a PL squad if we do go up

I appreciate there is always a degree of 'luck' with players like Mumba. McCallum and Sitti etc but would Gibson, Hugill, Dowell be up to the PL

I would expect Placheta, Sorensen and Sinani to be expected to progress to that level. but it will have to be seen how others progress

Tbh, if we sold all the gang of 5, I would be happy if they went abroad. Not so happy if they went to Prem clubs. Perhaps I don't want to see them succeed on my own doorstep (a case of what might have been perhaps?). Whether it be PSG, Bayern, Dortmund etc it would be amazing for our young players I would feel. 

Yes, they could get development in the Prem and further their careers, but atm, for me, European football is the place to be, if any of them leave. Not just a football decision either, but a brilliant lifestyle opportunity.

• Like 1

Just now, Crabbycanary3 said:

Tbh, if we sold all the gang of 5, I would be happy if they went abroad. Not so happy if they went to Prem clubs. Perhaps I don't want to see them succeed on my own doorstep (a case of what might have been perhaps?). Whether it be PSG, Bayern, Dortmund etc it would be amazing for our young players I would feel. 

Yes, they could get development in the Prem and further their careers, but atm, for me, European football is the place to be, if any of them leave. Not just a football decision either, but a brilliant lifestyle opportunity.

Agreed wholeheartedly. It would be nice to see more English players go abroad and make a success of it.

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Wow! He will win stuff there....

Possibly but not any trophies that the rest of the football world cares about...

17 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Possibly but not any trophies that the rest of the football world cares about...

Does it matter what the rest of the football world thinks?  PSG would be a fantastic step up for a young player. 

40 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Rumours that Newcastle have made a 15 million plus add ons bid for Lewis

Multiple sources (or is it just multiples of the same source?) give the fee ranging from £13.5M to £15M pluss add ons.

Sounds like this one is happening.

I hear Jacob Murphy wants to be considered one of the 'add ons'. 😀

Edited by A Load of Squit

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Does it matter what the rest of the football world thinks?  PSG would be a fantastic step up for a young player. 

You think so ? PSG are the epitome of what is wrong with the top end of Pro footy . Romp home in their domestic league, backed by Zillions of Middle east oil money.... horrendously  overpaid players, they are,  in my eyes , even more a' throw money at it' club than Real Madrid during the Galacticos era. Glad they lost the CL final to Bayern..... now that's a Club that I would like our players to go to. 

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Multiple sources (or is it just multiples of the same source?) give the fee ranging from £13.5M to £15M pluss add ons.

Sounds like this one is happening.

I here Jacob Murphy wants to be considered one of the 'add ons'. 😀

So 15 mill,or 18 plus Jacob.  Take the  15.👍😄🥅

31 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Rumours that Newcastle have made a 15 million plus add ons bid for Lewis

Looks like a goer.

I wonder who will be the first to moan about us selling our youngsters and not building a team around them??

Michael Bailey says £13.75m with substantial add-ons and a sell-on %. Sounds like a fair deal to me, would pretty much cover all our expenditure this summer.

However, I don't believe Newcastle is the right club for Jamal Lewis' development.

• Like 2

I think Lewis will do better being at Newcastle than at Liverpool. Hopefully a certain starter every week. We clearly have set out to cover this positional move months and months ago.

Edited by sonyc

He’s the one of ‘the 5’ I’m not too bothered about losing (for the right price).

we have good cover and I actually thought he looked quite weak last season and struggled with the amount of powerful players in the premier league.

Has been great for us though and would wish him well

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rock bus said:

He’s the one of ‘the 5’ I’m not too bothered about losing (for the right price).

we have good cover and I actually thought he looked quite weak last season and struggled with the amount of powerful players in the premier league.

Has been great for us though and would wish him well

I see what you mean but as a LB he has been a revelation and often his performances have been some of the most enjoyable from a LB I've watched for many years. The EPL was possibly a year too early for him. Same for lots of our youngsters. They peaked so early. I'm sure we will be watching Max, Jamal, Todd, Ben and Emi peak in other teams in a year or two and we will reflect that they once all played in our team and came through our youth policy (Emi being more of an outlier). We have been so blessed experiencing the season we had in the Championship last time.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Olano said:

Good news for Norwich, Newcastle and Lewis

Danny Rose must be having a bad week.

Not in the England squad, the Netflix doc & now this.

Good move for all concerned, for Lewis he'll get game time , for Norwich a decent price , for Newcastle a young up and coming fullback, I hope he can improve and work on his weaknesses. 

Sounds a great deal for us (how mugged off must Villa be feeling for paying pretty much the same up front, for Matty Cash?)

Not convinced Newcastle is the best place for Lewis, but who else was interested, seeing as they 'seemed' to be the only confirmed Club showing interest, and at this stage as well?

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

You think so ? PSG are the epitome of what is wrong with the top end of Pro footy . Romp home in their domestic league, backed by Zillions of Middle east oil money.... horrendously  overpaid players, they are,  in my eyes , even more a' throw money at it' club than Real Madrid during the Galacticos era. Glad they lost the CL final to Bayern..... now that's a Club that I would like our players to go to.

Agree up to a point, but Paris would be a great place to live in for a couple of years and at PSG build your reputation playing football, earn loads, with plenty of time to move on to any top club later in your career. 

I wish him all the best, and personally think he was the most 'disposable' of our 'big 5', but only for the right price, which it appears Newcastle are willing to pay.

I had concerns about Lewis last season in terms of attacking output (was much weaker in this area than Aarons) as he didn't always seem to utilise his pace enough, nor have any end product if he did, and usually it was either a turn back or pass back instead of looking for a cross or cutting inside.

Hope it goes well for him at Newcastle as he seems a really likeable lad and deserves to be at a higher level than the champs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I wish him all the best, and personally think he was the most 'disposable' of our 'big 5', but only for the right price, which it appears Newcastle are willing to pay.

I had concerns about Lewis last season in terms of attacking output (was much weaker in this area than Aarons) as he didn't always seem to utilise his pace enough, nor have any end product if he did, and usually it was either a turn back or pass back instead of looking for a cross or cutting inside.

Hope it goes well for him at Newcastle as he seems a really likeable lad and deserves to be at a higher level than the champs.

Agree with all this

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Disappointed he's gone to Newcastle, if that is the case. Would like him to have gone to a decent club.

They are a great club, do well there and your idolised by 50,000.

No good anyone expecting massive fees at the moment and the reported fee, which some might think is a bit low, is virtually all profit and probably covers all the new signings and their wages for a while.

And I agree he was/is the most expendable out of the Class of 2018.