Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

Would be a good signing to be fair, we wouldn't be able to get anyone better and with anymore glowing championship experience for the prices that is being handed around. £5m (or £3m initially and £2m in add one) strangely seems quite big business and quite a lay out for Norwich but in the big scheme of things it isn't. I am not moaning at us spending money, I was one of people last season saying speculate to accumulate!

I suppose we also view him at a good age, and after flopping/not getting a chance at West ham, he may feel he has a point to prove if we go up again!

Come on Norwich, push for this transfer!

Bringing Hugill in allows us to do things slightly differently, as already said by many. It would possibly open us up to different formations too, as the 4-2-3-1 that we have used has always been necessary based on the fact Pukki cannot win headers, with Stiepermann or Mclean often in there to do that. Hugill would bring that ability, maybe even meaning a more technical number 10 could play.

The fact it offers a  different option and some robustness makes this a possible good deal (especially if only c£3m.

id love to know what the response was on here when we signed Grant Holt!

10 minutes ago, rock bus said:

The fact it offers a  different option and some robustness makes this a possible good deal (especially if only c£3m.

id love to know what the response was on here when we signed Grant Holt!

Too right, I was one of many saying if only we had a Grant Holt type player in the team last season. Crying out for that ability to hold the ball up the field or buy a free kick in opposition half. 

Hugill should get some service from the wings. Clearly Farke wants wide men in as a plan B, and that should actually help our defence a little bit simply as you'd expect our full-backs don't have to push on so much. Also, having a tall, strong, physical man up top should ease pressure on the defence as if in doubt there's room for a good old hoof aimed at him so that possession is not coughed up so readily in dangerous areas of the park.

He knows the league, has a passable record there with average teams and probably will be hungry to get his career restarted. Not much to dislike.

To quote two of my Middlesbrough supporting colleagues (both season ticket holders) from his time with them.

"He's terrible. And I really mean terrible. Plus, at the end of the games he was doubled over panting, he was not fit enough"

"He's decent. He'll do a job if the team is setup to play to his strengths."

I saw him a few times at Middlesbrough and didn't think much (you can probably tell!). I do not want us to sign him for any large amount of money (>1.5m) but as a backup, I would prefer him to Drmic (but I'd prefer my Nan to Drmic).

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

To quote two of my Middlesbrough supporting colleagues (both season ticket holders) from his time with them.

"He's terrible. And I really mean terrible. Plus, at the end of the games he was doubled over panting, he was not fit enough"

"He's decent. He'll do a job if the team is setup to play to his strengths."

I saw him a few times at Middlesbrough and didn't think much (you can probably tell!). I do not want us to sign him for any large amount of money (>1.5m) but as a backup, I would prefer him to Drmic (but I'd prefer my Nan to Drmic).

I mean let's be fair, 3m to 5m is hardly alot of money for Norwich city for a striker who's a decent age with a decent record in the championship.

We can't spend nothing and expect the same quality. Yes you get lucky, and yes we seem to be getting it right more times than not, but for a good championship striker, who is likely to be hungry for a premier League chance again, 3m to 5m is a good business. 

I appreciate we have nothing yet on his wages (or if he is defo coming for X amount) but I'd assume his wages will be in line with what we can afford and the squad/squad role so can't be all bad. If it was nearer the 10 id say it's too much for someone who is blatantly second choice.

Who would you prefer chap that we target? Or would you prefer we take a punt on the unknown for under 1.5million? Or pay 3-5m for a striker untried in this league? Or just someone else? That toney who scored loads last year for Peterborough is getting pushed about for 6 to 10m so this doesn't seem too bad considering his age and form last year (and his overall champ record)

1 minute ago, NeymarSmith said:

I mean let's be fair, 3m to 5m is hardly alot of money for Norwich city for a striker who's a decent age with a decent record in the championship.

We can't spend nothing and expect the same quality. Yes you get lucky, and yes we seem to be getting it right more times than not, but for a good championship striker, who is likely to be hungry for a premier League chance again, 3m to 5m is a good business. 

I appreciate we have nothing yet on his wages (or if he is defo coming for X amount) but I'd assume his wages will be in line with what we can afford and the squad/squad role so can't be all bad. If it was nearer the 10 id say it's too much for someone who is blatantly second choice.

Who would you prefer chap that we target? Or would you prefer we take a punt on the unknown for under 1.5million? Or pay 3-5m for a striker untried in this league? Or just someone else? That toney who scored loads last year for Peterborough is getting pushed about for 6 to 10m so this doesn't seem too bad considering his age and form last year (and his overall champ record)

I think the bold part is my sticking point. I agree that 3-5m for a good championship striker is good business, but do not think he is a good championship striker. I think he is bang average.

• Thanks 1

Last year we only had one proper winger and we had no centre forwards with any significant aerial threat. With our midfielders all favouring playing through balls along the ground (which suits Pukki's game) we were a little predictable although to be fair we still created our fair share of chances, we just missed them.

We now have the ability to play that way (which i assume will remain Plan A) but alternatively switch an play two genuine wide men in Hernandez and Placheta. When we need to do that then it makes sense to have a centre forward with more physical presence to come into the side, whether that's Hugill or A.N.Other. Personally i'm quite reassured to be able to see the rationale behind most of the signings we are making this summer. 

32 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I think the bold part is my sticking point. I agree that 3-5m for a good championship striker is good business, but do not think he is a good championship striker. I think he is bang average.

Ah well yeah, in which case I can't argue with your opinion chap! If you don't rate him you don't rate him. 

I think it's clear the club is going with Pukki to lead the line again. Idah is a cracking prospect & was unlucky not to nail a goal or two post-lockdown in a seriously struggling team. Were Hugill to come, while not the most exciting of signings, as some have mentioned already he could well provide that 'nuisance' physical option up top that we've badly missed recently. He looks like the kind of player to cause problems from corners & frees and hold the ball up which we've also missed. As a defender, I'd hate to see him coming on for the last 20mins! Those three could well be enough going into the season ahead, barring an injury crisis up top. Drmic looks to be off - just didn't seem to happen for him here. 

The club seem to have identified the problem areas as central & defensive midfield, a lack of pace, a lack of physicality, set-pieces & insufficient alternative options up top. I think business has been very focused & sensible so far. Get them in early & bed them in with an eye on the future. I think we'll see quite a few outs over the next 6 weeks, with a couple of surprising ones thrown in there, but there's no doubt that the squad needs a "freshening up" after a traumatic few months. Surely 2 or 3 of the "jewels" will head back to the Prem or abroad (hopefully Buendia & Godfrey stay) and we get in a centre-back or two and things will suddenly look positive again. OTBC!

• Like 1

This situation does not seem to be the Webber way of doing things. Too many loose ends and briefings from all.

It would not surprise me if this is a dead end. Time will tell.

Just now, Block Y Seat 176 said:

This situation does not seem to be the Webber way of doing things. Too many loose ends and briefings from all.

It would not surprise me if this is a dead end. Time will tell.

Webber isn't the only one involved though.

It seems a very West Ham way of doing things - they are pretty open with the media and they are probably hoping another team will come in to try and push the price up. If the Pink'Un boys say there is something in it, then there is something in it - they are very reliable and don't get much wrong. Whether a deal can be sorted is another matter of course - wages will be a big issue.

26 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

To be honest - £3m - £5m is probably the going rate for a 'bang average' Championship striker. 

Have you got an examples that support this? 

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

I think a 'good' championship striker is more 10-12m nowadays. 

We're also signing someone as a 'plan b' when things arent working. I.e they're behind Pukki in the pecking order, potentially Idah too if the way we're playing is working.

It's a limited market at that point at Hugill is probably the best we're likely to do.

14 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

Jesus - going for blood aren't you there dude? 

Tbh to bethnal, Toney looks to being at around 6m, and he has had one good season in the league below and is a couple years younger, so 3m to 5m isn't far off surely. 

Plus that what is being the fee from the media, not.olucked from think air by the fans (assuming the media didn't pluck it from thin air)

Honestly man, chill, blimey we will have to be doing Harvard Referencing next to satisfy everyone.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

Waghorn, Marriott, Gallagher, Baldock, Lucas Joao, Weimann, Vokes - all around £3m - £5m and all pretty average Championship strikers. The Championship isn't a cheap league to shop in - Sheff Wednesday wanted Norwich to pay £7m for Jordan Rhodes!

We struggled with a very low return on set pieces in the final third and of course in defending them.

So someone of this size is needed, from the goals he scored last year he makes intelligent runs and is physical enough to strike the ball early and get those goals. All very similar.

One thing all our players should have learnt from the Premier League is not to take that extra touch, it allows defenders in and the keeper to set himself.

We will see if this comes off but a physical forward and more physical midfielders joining us for those crosses in the box will help us be more of a threat for set pieces. Something we will need.

If our wingers are going to act as such get to the byeline and cross balls into the box then Hughill will be an asset to date we haven't had since Rhodes.  Idah looked as if he could be that type of striker during Project Restart.  Pukki almost useless in meeting crosses. We certainly need recruits up top for the fee being considered yes to Hugill.  

I think for the money talked about for Hugill he would be a pretty decent signing. Knows the Championship and is a regular if unspectacular scorer.

Would have liked to have seen us have a serious go for Ivan Toney but seems he’s turned down Brentford as he fancies himself in the Premier League. Sounds like all this ‘ bigging up ‘ has gone to his head and he wants to run before he can walk so he might be the sort of bloke you want on the field but not so much in the dressing room.

We could do a lot worse than Hugill.

As a few on here have commented on and also sourcing from the West Ham end suggests, that the snag is wages, if reports that Hugill is on 35k a week are true then undoubtedly he will be seeing a pretty big reduction in that by coming here.  Webber and co. will need to do a lot of convincing in these negotiations one feels, its far from certain they will succeed.

8 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

As a few on here have commented on and also sourcing from the West Ham end suggests, that the snag is wages, if reports that Hugill is on 35k a week are true then undoubtedly he will be seeing a pretty big reduction in that by coming here.  Webber and co. will need to do a lot of convincing in these negotiations one feels, its far from certain they will succeed.

May depend on how keen West Ham are to move him on- would they agree to keep paying a certain chunk of his wages in order to get the rest of it off the books?

Norwich Evening News are saying that we are interested in central defender Ryan Nolan 6ft 2in/21 years old, former Inter Milan

41 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Norwich Evening News are saying that we are interested in central defender Ryan Nolan 6ft 2in/21 years old, former Inter Milan

He is 21 and has only played in serie c in Italy. Maybe one for the future but not a first teamer. Also he is right footed and we have been targeting a left footer. Ben Gibson interest may not yet be dead.

Edited by Desert_Fox_2

11 minutes ago, Desert_Fox_2 said:

He is 21 and has only played in serie c in Italy. Maybe one for the future but not a first teamer. Also he is right footed and we have been targeting a left footer. Ben Gibson interest may not yet be dead.

It is just the PinkUn reporting on the Sun reporting that Norwich are one team, along with several others, that are interested. I think if Norwich are interested it would be for the U23s not the first team. But it is likely just agent talk He didn't actually play in Serie C, he was signed and then loaned out to a Serie D club.

Leeds moving for ... Ryan Kent.

Gone from Edison Cavani, to Emi Buendia to Harry Wilson to Ryan Kent. 

Think it unlikely Emi will be on his way to Elland Road to play for them any time soon.

Edited by TheGoogler

Here's a good little piece on Nolan, when he left Inter for Arezzo.  He almost moved to Leeds and Inter insisted on a 50% sell on clause of any future transfer fee.  The only slight puzzlement if he does have the potential that it seems Leeds and Inter thought he had, is why Arezzo loaned him to a fellow Serie C club after having made a only a handful of appearances for Arezzo last season?

https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-defender-ryan-nolan-drops-italian-leagues-permanent-move-416551

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

I'm excited by the prospect of Hugill joining. He's the type of striker that often does well here. Reminds me much more of Grant Holt than Jordan Rhodes. Rhodes was more of a poacher, he was tall but very lightweight and was easily shrugged off the ball and crowded out, Hugill is more physical and better technically. Yes he hasn't scored for fun in his career, but he will get a lot more chances per game for us in the league next year than he's gotten at any other club he's played for previously. 

While not outstanding he's exactly the type of striker we need to compete with Pukki next season. I would take him over Rhodes or Drmic any day of the week. 

16 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It is just the PinkUn reporting on the Sun reporting that Norwich are one team, along with several others, that are interested. I think if Norwich are interested it would be for the U23s not the first team. But it is likely just agent talk He didn't actually play in Serie C, he was signed and then loaned out to a Serie D club.

According to Wiki he did play for Arezzo last season in Serie C and was loaned to Giana (who were also in Serie C last season) on 31 January 2020.  Giana got relegated via the playoffs at the end of the season so will be in Serie D for the new season, but were a Serie C side last season. The loan came to an end at the end of July and he is now back at Arezzo.

Edited by norfolkbroadslim
  • Thanks 1