Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That is an unknown. 

With Hugill you know exactly what you are going to get. A proven Championship striker who can do the dirty work and give the Plan B everyone said Norwich lacked last season. Basically, Jordan Rhodes 2.0. 

Strikers cost money, even not fantastic ones - but you won’t find any other strikers who scored 15 goals in the Championship last season for less than £5m. 

He’s not someone I’m a huge fan of, but can see his appeal to Webber and Farke for being the guy to bring one when facing a deep defence that doesn’t allow the room in behind for Pukki. Norwich relied on a lot of goals that were scored through the eye of a needle in the Championship winning season. Take away Buendia and there may not be the player to make those precise passes. Having someone like Hugill who can scrap a goal or ten is could be vital. 

As I said we will see Beth, Pukki is a proven striker at a higher level, 11 goals in his prem season in our team shows how good he is.

With Drmic here and a Idah, do we need another scrapper? This plan B would mean we need to change the style to suite his style?

I’m not convinced and as I said he’s going to be on a hefty wage too. But we shall see if he comes and his impact. Just my view that’s not our style of signing and I’m surprised to be honest.

13 in 39 last season rather than 15.

I wouldn’t be too sad to see this one fall through. Whilst he wouldn’t be a bad signing as a back-up whilst in the Champ, at £5m it’s not worth the money. Much rather have Idah as the back-up providing Pukki stays. Especially whilst we still have Drmic on our wage books.

One thing is for sure, and that is we need more than just two strikers. Pukki and Idah alone is too thin on the ground, because if one gets injured then we're in trouble.

But who do we get in to complement them, assuming Drmic is on his way? On the one hand, we want someone good enough to challenge Pukki, but not too expensive to put on the bench a lot, and not someone who expects to start every week and will get upset if he doesn't. Also, I've heard many say that we don't want to limit Idah's involvement too much to stand in the way of his development, so would we be happy with an emergency backup? That's incredibly risky in case Idah doesn't look ready when he plays. 

Finding the right third striker and managing the three of them will be an incredibly tough job.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bovril said:

I wouldn’t be too sad to see this one fall through. Whilst he wouldn’t be a bad signing as a back-up whilst in the Champ, at £5m it’s not worth the money. Much rather have Idah as the back-up providing Pukki stays. Especially whilst we still have Drmic on our wage books.

He scored 15 goals last season. That is a fact.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I get the Hugill thing (if true) and an encouraged by it. He’s exactly the type of striker we don’t currently have. He’s strong and physical, decent in the air and can rough up defenders. Like a slightly younger version of Rhodes.

i am encouraged that we are adding some variety to the forward line if this is true. Drmic has none of the qualities to succeed in a tough, physical league. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

It what alternate reality do folks think a relatively young, English, and proven double-digit striker, even in the Champs, can be had for much less than £5m? It's simply not possible!

The reality where not one of our current squad cost more than that and I wouldn't place him in the top 15 players of our current squad. Or the reality where Pukki was free? Or the reality where Hugill is bang average (in the championship), or the reality where Rhodes wouldn't cost 5m and I'd rather have him, or the reality where if we got to the Premiership again Hugill isn't good enough. Whichever reality you want of those.

Edit, or the reality where the word 'proven' double digit is a slight exaggeration. I mean he has got double digits in a season, but not often enough to warrant the use of the word proven.

Edited by All the Germans

I think the other thing that is relevant is that we now have two out and out wingers as well do adding a striker with good aerial ability does make sense. 

• Like 1

Not enthused about the Hugill rumour.  £5m on a striker to hopefully help us get promoted is a bit of a gamble.  However, get promoted and he could be sold or be 3rd or 4th choice possibly behind Idah.  Don't get promoted and we still have a player who can be a bit of a handful and hopefully score some goals. 

I don't see him being good enough for the Prem if indeed we do get promoted.  We also saw how Pukki struggled second half of the season.  If we do get promoted it could be an expensive summer coming up, because we could be looking at having to sign 2 decent strikers if we want to hve any hope of staying up.

Edited by norfolkbroadslim
  • Confused 1

On 17/08/2020 at 19:08, curious yellow said:

16 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I get the Hugill thing (if true) and an encouraged by it. He’s exactly the type of striker we don’t currently have. He’s strong and physical, decent in the air and can rough up defenders. Like a slightly younger version of Rhodes.

i am encouraged that we are adding some variety to the forward line if this is true. Drmic has none of the qualities to succeed in a tough, physical league. 

Surely the three strikers we do currently have all all different from each other.

Do we not need at least two to be similar? If we are in a game where we need to change it, the very fact that we put on a second striker means we have changed with either a midfielder or defender coming off.

But injuries or suspension to Pukki for instance would alter the way we would play if Drmic or Idah played.

if Hugill is coming in and Idah needs to go on loan, I hope Peterboro come in for him to replace Toney. A good, attacking side, close to home where he would get loads of chances. Loan until Jan with option to extend.

• Like 1

It really is hard to follow Norwich fans.

Complain we don't spend money. So what do we do? Look to spend £5m on a striker and all of a sudden the fact we're spending more on this lad than we have others in our squad becomes a problem.

Complain we don't have a plan B. Sign a striker who clearly offers us something different and lo! Everyone complains he doesn't fit into our current system.

Complain we don't score enough goals. Sign someone who has scored goals in mediocre sides in the level we are playing at and all of a sudden everyone wants someone who can do it in the Premier League. 

£5m for an English, under 30 striker who scored 15 goals for QPR and offers us a dimension we absolutely cried out for sometimes last season is good business in my eyes.

I hope he comes in 👍

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

Complain we don't spend money. So what do we do? Look to spend £5m on a striker and all of a sudden the fact we're spending more on this lad than we have others in our squad becomes a problem.

Complain we don't have a plan B. Sign a striker who clearly offers us something different and lo! Everyone complains he doesn't fit into our current system.

Complain we don't score enough goals. Sign someone who has scored goals in mediocre sides in the level we are playing at and all of a sudden everyone wants someone who can do it in the Premier League. 

£5m for an English, under 30 striker who scored 15 goals for QPR and offers us a dimension we absolutely cried out for sometimes last season is good business in my eyes.

I hope he comes in 👍

Me too and I agree with everything you've said.

He's always looked a handful when I've seen him play and we need that in our side.

• Like 1

I might be wrong on this, but since the start of the 18/19 season I believe we've only scored 2 headers from open play (Pukki at Stoke and Aarons at Bristol). They're the only ones I can remember anyway, so I can see sense in trying to add a different element to our attack.

Lot of money for a back up though- would assume it has to be similar to Buendia, like £2mil up front and add-ons if all goes to plan.

1 hour ago, Bovril said:

People who supposedly are in the know said

"This is such an annoyance. A price picked from thin air, becomes fact It’s nowhere £5m."

Edited by Icecream Snow

18 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

I hope he comes in 👍

Haven’t got any likes left today but completely agree with this. The folk on social media are even worse.

No idea how reliable this is. However he says Jacob Murphy will be announced as a forest player tomorrow. So if that happens, gives credibility to this story.

Twitter ITK says it’s nowhere near £5m. It’s under £3m spread over 2 years...

A good age, experienced at this level, West Ham paid around £9m for him, scored 15 last season... can't see this as a problem. Still has two seasons left on his contract, so might be a loan target (possibly with option to buy next summer) rather than an out-and-out transfer? Either way, he'll make more impact than Drmic.

EDIT: just seen the other posts saying WH desperate to offload him permanently...

Edited by Feedthewolf

24 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I might be wrong on this, but since the start of the 18/19 season I believe we've only scored 2 headers from open play (Pukki at Stoke and Aarons at Bristol). They're the only ones I can remember anyway, so I can see sense in trying to add a different element to our attack.

Lot of money for a back up though- would assume it has to be similar to Buendia, like £2mil up front and add-ons if all goes to plan.

Not many headers, certainly from open play, nor that many from set pieces if truth be told - think Zimbo scored a couple (vs Millwall and Reading) and Trybull one?  

I’ll readily admit to having been rather annoyed by our poor return from set pieces, for and against, in recent seasons - hopefully a guy like this will help us address the problem.

Edited by Branston Pickle

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not many headers,, no, but didn’t Zimbo score a couple (vs Millwall and Reading)?  

I’ll readily admit to having been rather annoyed by our poor return from set pieces, for and against - hopefully a guy like this will help us address the problem.

Zimmermann with that almost-winner against Reading I forgot about, Milwall was a corner.

Either way- it isn't many.

It's a squad game. He's cheap, it seems he gives us different options to what we have now (which is what a lot of people have asked for). As Bethnal said, a Plan B to have up our sleeve. What's not to like

If not Hugill, who else do people think would be a great buy, for that sort of money, experience and decent, proven, goalscoring record? 

if he has been on PL wages, and he has two years left on his contract I cannot see there being much left out of £2.5 million for that alone

Outside the PL there won't be to many clubs able to take on that kind of financial outlay.

And if he is not up the PL standard ten what option to WHU have left. Loan him out and still have to pay part of his wages, or simply get rid a take a £2.5m (minimum) liability of their books

The need to shift him, we do not need to buy him.

I suspect his valuation will take into account his big current wage and if we do take on most of his wages (maybe he will be prepared to drop some for more regular game time and a longer contract) then the fee will be low. Its not going to break the bank but neither will it be cheap as the lad has proven very capable at championship level so there'd be plenty of interest. I'm surprised Derby haven't gone in for him to replace Martin

4 hours ago, kirku said:

Is Hugill any good? Poor scoring stats

he got 15 in the championship last season  doesnt seem to bad to me based on that alone

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

if he has been on PL wages, and he has two years left on his contract I cannot see there being much left out of £2.5 million for that alone

Outside the PL there won't be to many clubs able to take on that kind of financial outlay.

And if he is not up the PL standard ten what option to WHU have left. Loan him out and still have to pay part of his wages, or simply get rid a take a £2.5m (minimum) liability of their books

The need to shift him, we do not need to buy him.

and going by some past deals you can bet they will still be paying some of his wages for a year or two

Never mind how many blades of grass he stands on per game, or his average proximity to the ball (or ref) ....this is what interests me

"Hugill is a target man forward, has great strength and is able to out-muscle opposition defenders. Former Port Vale teammate Tom Pope stated that Hugill had an excellent attitude and "was desperate to learn and improve""

Maybe we have at CR the means to help him improve