Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes although for the purposes of this season i'm not that bothered about an upgrade as Hanley and Zimm are both good enough. Its not leaving us exposed if we continue ti get injuries that bothers me. 

I am vaguely reassured by the lack of meaningful speculation around Cantwell, Godfrey, Aarons, Emi and Pukki at the moment. I think the club are resigned to Lewis going and seem to have accepted we will sell him and I am sure bids will emerge for other players in due course but I am less convinced than i was that we will lose all of them this summer. 

True, but should Norwich get promoted, then they have Carter-Vickers in the squad who probably isn't good enough for the Prem. This transfer window, where Norwich are relatively secure financially, should be focused on bringing in players who will be first teamers. Not bringing in back-up for players who are probably not quite good enough for the Prem as it is. 

• Like 3

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

True, but should Norwich get promoted, then they have Carter-Vickers in the squad who probably isn't good enough for the Prem. This transfer window, where Norwich are relatively secure financially, should be focused on bringing in players who will be first teamers. Not bringing in back-up for players who are probably not quite good enough for the Prem as it is. 

Fair point. Where do we look then for players who may be ready/able to step up? Any suggestions?

We weren't able to sign any Premier League quality players when we were in the Premier League; trying to attract them now we're in the Championship is easier said than done.

Besides, nobody would've said Pukki, Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Buendia, Cantwell, Godfrey etc. were of Premier League standard in the summer of 2018 (some may say they aren't now) but 12 months is a very long time in football.

Not a rumour but I watched Swindon vs Cov yesterday on the telly (there really wasn't anything better on) and Swindon had a player called Scott Twine; he scored a cracker and seemingly makes a habit of it. 

Strikes a ball very much like Maddison; one to keep an eye on.

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We weren't able to sign any Premier League quality players when we were in the Premier League; trying to attract them now we're in the Championship is easier said than done.

Besides, nobody would've said Pukki, Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Buendia, Cantwell, Godfrey etc. were of Premier League standard in the summer of 2018 (some may say they aren't now) but 12 months is a very long time in football.

No, but the idea is to sign younger players who have the potential to develop into Prem footballers with a season of coaching in the Championship - like Godfrey, Lewis, Aarons etc. They could only develop though with regular first team football and not being signed and then sitting on the bench behind other players. I presume this is the hope for Sorenson and Placheta.

There is also the opportunity, although rarer, to sign a player probably capable of Prem football who others have considered not good enough. This is what happened with Krul, Pukki, Byram etc. It is about being that little bit smarter than others (which is increasingly hard as most clubs are slowly getting there act together in this regard, but that's a whole other topic).

I think Ben Gibson could fall into the latter category while somelike Carter-Vickers would likely just end up on the bench and not develop any further. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I suppose its about identifying potential premier league players rather than signing existing ones.

For me the jury is out on Zimm at that level due to his fitness issues but has always lacked a bit of pace and Hanley (who has the same weakness) actually did quite well during his spell prior to the lock down when he finally looked fit. Both will be fine next season and are fine as options in the prem but for me we need to be looking to bring in one younger centre half who has a chance of making the step up IF we can get back up again. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

No, but the idea is to sign younger players who have the potential to develop into Prem footballers with a season of coaching in the Championship - like Godfrey, Lewis, Aarons etc. They could only develop though with regular first team football and not being signed and then sitting on the bench behind other players. I presume this is the hope for Sorenson and Placheta.

There is also the opportunity, although rarer, to sign a player probably capable of Prem football who others have considered not good enough. This is what happened with Krul, Pukki, Byram etc. It is about being that little bit smarter than others (which is increasingly hard as most clubs are slowly getting there act together in this regard, but that's a whole other topic).

I think Ben Gibson could fall into the latter category while somelike Carter-Vickers would likely just end up on the bench and not develop any further. 

Obviously what you're saying is all true, but Godfrey and Cantwell were miles away from the starting XI at the start of the 2018/19 season and Aarons had yet to make a senior appearance. Yet not only did they work their way into the first team, they also developed enough to be regular starters in the Premier League a year later. As I said, a year is a very long time in football and players can develop an awful lot with nobody expecting it.

We've not been linked and maybe out of our price range but would Matt Clarke be a realistic option? Brighton prob wouldn't want to sell but they have a lot of options at CB so maybe we could get him on loan next season if we give them a decent fee? Derby look to be in some financial trouble next year so we could probably outbid them.

Perfect type of defender for us, homegrown, experienced for his age and was Derby's POTS last year. We might even be able to sign him permanently if we get promoted. Only downside is of course that he's from Suffolk and came through 1p5wich's academy

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 1

I am a great believer of being in the present while developing the future.

We have discussed ad nauseam about being promoted too soon, wealthy owners, 38 free hits, players out of position etc, and how we can remedy things this season with an eye to the season after.

I personally don't believe you can do both at Championship level. L1/2 and it is probably the only way. But promotion from the Championship to the EPL is a lot less welcoming, apart from the financial gains, than it was. Around the pitch we were one trick ponies. Pukki out of form-no one good enough to step up. Buendia and Cantwell apart, midfield was one paced and ordinary. Defence was left high and dry with early season injuries.

Many would have wanted us to splash out but I think we all know it would have needed four maybe five experienced EPL players to make any difference. And the board made it clear we couldn't do that.

Now back in the Championship, many are expecting us to win it again. That isn't unreasonable but not anywhere near a certainty. But the signings we have made at the moment look to be more for the future than the present. But even that is a gamble as well. The squad in the mid to late 90s had a lot of talented home products who did well at other clubs after they left us but couldn't get success for us collectively. Could have been the coaching of course.

Personally, I would like us to concentrate on the product and if promotion comes then all the better. I am sure that styles will continue to evolve and maybe the purely possession based game may have had its time and the power and pace game is the way to go.

However, we are nowhere near capable of playing that style at the moment so we will have to continue with our current style. Fair enough it is good to watch when you are on top but looked pretty awful at times when pitted against top teams. Hopefully it will be good enough for the Championship. And entertaining is just as important as success.

But I do feel that many peoples expectations will be dented next season. I do not envisage any marquee signings just because we have some money.

Well said Grandad. All makes sense but the words "power and pace" jumped out at me. I hope after last year we will have learned our lesson but attracting players like that who can actually play is probably easier said than done. 

Above all I think we need a good quality Championship centre half who has an injury free record. Doesn't have to be a world beater, just someone who will be available if required 

I brought up Skipp on another thread wondering if he could be an option, it was likely he would go to Fulham under Parker but Spurs supposedly wanted him to get a full season of football and Fulham wouldn't be able to guarantee that in the prem.

If Gibson doesn't happen then maybe Jake Clarke-Salter would be worth a look at? Left sided CB so would slot in well if Godfrey left, but had a decent year on loan at Birmingham and a move to (hopefully) a side at the top of the championship feels like a sensible step. The only problem being that it would probably be another loan.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of loans being an integral part of the team. You end up having the Villa situation where you have to stump up a small fortune just to buy someone who has already been here a year. 

13 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I don't like the idea of loans being an integral part of the team. You end up having the Villa situation where you have to stump up a small fortune just to buy someone who has already been here a year. 

With loans though you sometimes can bring in a quality of player that you wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. If this then helps you gain promotion to the PL, then you will have greater spending power to maybe find a replacement. Also if the club and player fitted well there is always the chance they stay on for a further year.

• Like 1

There’s really no point bringing in a loan player if they don’t add anything to the first XI picture eg Roberts last season.  It’s far better to work out where the gaps are and get decent players in that you’d not be able to otherwise afford eg Fraser, Gunn, Reed, and who can make a difference.  You can worry about the other stuff if/when you get promotion - sometimes a loan can be made permanent or extended.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

loans of other clubs youngsters with little experience is not something i am keen on ,

EPL experienced player who is not getting in the squad then yes i agree like a Huckerby then fantastic 

We are over loaded with Central Midfield players  at the moment so i hope Skipp is a wondrkid otherwise i can not being first on the team sheet in that area

13 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

loans of other clubs youngsters with little experience is not something i am keen on ,

EPL experienced player who is not getting in the squad then yes i agree like a Huckerby then fantastic 

We are over loaded with Central Midfield players  at the moment so i hope Skipp is a wondrkid otherwise i can not being first on the team sheet in that area

Really highly rated by Spurs, if not starting every game he'd be on the bench at the very least - although I suspect if he's coming here over Fulham it's for the game time.

26 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

There’s really no point bringing in a loan player if they don’t add anything to the first XI picture eg Roberts last season.  It’s far better to work out where the gaps are and get decent players in that you’d not be able to otherwise afford eg Fraser, Gunn, Reed, and who can make a difference.  You can worry about the other stuff if/when you get promotion - sometimes a loan can be made permanent or extended.

I think Webber sees loans as a good way to provide back up without having to deal with a member of the squad being too disruptive for a long time. He has said in the past that a loan player is a good way to bridge the gap of a young player being ready to step up to the first team. So if Sitti isn't ready yet, you get Skipp in for a year - if he isn't better than Sorenson or Rupp then you can send him back at no great cost and no unhappy player being a disruptive force in the dressing room etc.

Ideally all signings would be players who add something to the first XI, but that is difficult to pull off - loans allow to go for players who are a little bit more of a gamble that could have high ceilings, but also could crash out. Such as Roberts and Edwards.

Bushiri is an interesting one to keep an eye on. Got MOTM for his Belgian side at the weekend. Presumably if he has played a full season in the Belgian top division then he could be one that might be able to step up in a years time, even if we are somehow back in the prem. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Bushiri is an interesting one to keep an eye on. Got MOTM for his Belgian side at the weekend. Presumably if he has played a full season in the Belgian top division then he could be one that might be able to step up in a years time, even if we are somehow back in the prem. 

Rocky is an interesting one like you say. A Belgian U21 international (not an easy thing to be) who has played regularly in the Belgian top flight, but struggled a lot in League One. Could just be a case of the wrong loan move at the wrong time.

Signed for about £100k due to a release clause, so has probably already made Norwich a profit in loan fees. I'm guessing he was always signed with a view that it would be an easy profit for the club - they've barely had to pay his wages as he's pretty much constantly been on loan somewhere.

Worth keeping an eye on how he does in Belgium, but the quality of the Jupiler League is very low so hard to make a real judgement on his ability.

33 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Rocky is an interesting one like you say. A Belgian U21 international (not an easy thing to be) who has played regularly in the Belgian top flight, but struggled a lot in League One. Could just be a case of the wrong loan move at the wrong time.

Signed for about £100k due to a release clause, so has probably already made Norwich a profit in loan fees. I'm guessing he was always signed with a view that it would be an easy profit for the club - they've barely had to pay his wages as he's pretty much constantly been on loan somewhere.

Worth keeping an eye on how he does in Belgium, but the quality of the Jupiler League is very low so hard to make a real judgement on his ability.

Wikipedia has him listed at 5’11 seems small for a cb. 

The Quintilla and Skipp deals seem like great business to me! Two seasons ago we would have put MacCallum and Sitti straight into the squad. Now we're in the position where we can bring in cover for them. It's a clear indication, to me, that the model is completely working.

We're totally moving in the right direction! I don't see how any Norwich fan, disappointing PL season aside, can look at all the healthy and sensible (on paper at least) transfer activity this summer and not be exciting about what we're building. Want to consider a different and darker possible reality ... look where Derby are at now! Spent loads, likely to receive a points deduction, and have signed only 1 marginal player for an upcoming season which could make or break them.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

The Quintilla and Skipp deals seem like great business to me! Two seasons ago we would have put MacCallum and Sitti straight into the squad. Now we're in the position where we can bring in cover for them. It's a clear indication, to me, that the model is completely working.

We're totally moving in the right direction! I don't see how any Norwich fan, disappointing PL season aside, can look at all the healthy and sensible (on paper at least) transfer activity this summer and not be exciting about what we're building. Want to consider a different and darker possible reality ... look where Derby are at now! Spent loads, likely to receive a points deduction, and have signed only 1 marginal player for an upcoming season which could make or break them.

Good post. It seems we are building quite nicely for cover in midfield positions (both attacking and defensive) with the prospect of perhaps a CB, striker and even GK positions to cover still to come? Secondly, we have many younger players loaned out to get valuable first team experience. In terms of this latter point, you have to factor that Neil Adams is doing a sterling job too behind the scenes.

• Like 1

Not a rumour for us, but bid accepted by P'boro for Ivan Toney worth up to £10 million from Brentford.

This a player who has all but 2 of his appearances League One and below, seems a mad price. Sure, he's had a good year and is a forward, but people were genuinely saying 'accepting anything over £5mil for Pukki' not so long ago.