Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

I think you have both sides of the coin there - the problem is that whatever the situation is, he’s a guy that’s barely played in 2 years; on one hand he may be 100% fit and chomping at the bit to prove his worth, but he might not and end up a liability throwing his toys about if things don’t go his way. IMO we want/need to get this transfer window right, after last summer in particular. If he/his agent are being difficult (maybe he just fancies seeing what’s out there/being closer to home) then that’s enough for me to suggest we don’t burn our bridges but do look to move on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

The piece says they’ve been ‘fielding loan enquiries for McCallum’.

Yes, that feels a bit odd - we seem likely to lose Jamal, so I can’t quite see why we’d send our next-best option out on loan (who we’ve just spent a couple of £m on), even if we get the lad from Spain.  You’d have thought it more likely to see Heise leave (if he’s still around).

Edited by Branston Pickle

55 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

In regards to the first point, Gibson SHOULD have been first choice to replace Mee when injured rather than Long, which leads us to your second point.

Dyche may not like to change his backline (like many managers don't), but Gibson was an expensive signing who was as you say expected to take over from Mee. Clearly he didn't impress enough in either training or in his limited game time (getting booked 3 times and sent off in his first 3 games wasn't exactly a good start either), and then instead of working hard and being patient, he started throwing his teddy out of the pram and demanding a move away.

Maybe Burnley irritated the situation by not letting him leave in Jan, but the problem was seemingly instigated by Gibson, and he's still being awkward at present despite having done basically nothing for the past 2 years.

At one point Gibson was being tipped for England, yet he couldn't supplant either of Mee or Tarkowski from the centre of the Burnley defence, and has shown a real lack of determination to change this situation either.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think he's overrated, clearly thinks he's better than he is, will be a pain in the rear if things aren't going his way and would likely cost far more in wages etc than he's actually worth, and certainly more than alternatives who have actually played regularly in the past 2 seasons.

The amount of assumptions you’ve made in this without having any way of knowing if they are true or not is pretty impressive. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes, that feels a bit odd - we seem likely to lose Jamal, so I can’t quite see why we’d send our next-best option out on loan (who we’ve just spent a couple of £m on), even if we get the lad from Spain.  You’d have thought it more likely to see Heise leave (if he’s still around).

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes. McCallum might be kept if Jamal is sold. But if not, he might go out on loan as playing regularly might be best for him. He might be deemed not yet ready for a starting spot at Norwich, regardless of Jamal. So he might go out on loan to continue his development. 

• Like 1

Well obviously, if Jamal stays that may be more likely to see McCullum loaned to get playing experience, but it does rather feel that Lewis will be going somewhere this window and to go from an excess of left-backs to too few would be idiotic. With a 46-game season being shoe-horned into 5weeks fewer than usual we will need back up all over the park. It seems an odd thing to include in the article, though.  No one had previously mentioned loan queries for the lad.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well obviously, if Jamal stays that may be more likely to see McCullum loaned to get playing experience, but it does rather feel that Lewis will be going somewhere this window and to go from an excess of left-backs to too few would be idiotic. With a 46-game season being shoe-horned into 5weeks fewer than usual we will need back up all over the park. It seems an odd thing to include in the article, though.  No one had previously mentioned loan queries for the lad.

Probably a nod from the club. Sam McCallum is 19 (just about to turn 20) and has only played 30+ league one games in his career so far, guessing the club feel it's best for him to get a full season at Championship level with a different club.

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The amount of assumptions you’ve made in this without having any way of knowing if they are true or not is pretty impressive. 

There is a lot of assumption there BYG, but in truth virtually none of us are likely to know the exact details of what has transpired over the last 2 years so I'm offering a personal opinion based on how I see things with limited information to work from.

I didn't rate Gibson when Burnley paid that much for him and couldn't understand what the fuss was about, and it's not like he's shown anything in playing terms since that move to change anyone's mind is it?

Whatever the situation or reason for his not playing may be, or whatever his personal motivations and reasonings are, I'm simply not impressed with him as a player, I think we could do better (and likely for much less money), but if that was the only genuine option, then I'd rather stick with the 4 main CB's we currently have in Godfrey, Klose, ZImmermann and Hanley than I would see Gibson join.

3 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Probably a nod from the club. Sam McCallum is 19 (just about to turn 20) and has only played 30+ league one games in his career so far, guessing the club feel it's best for him to get a full season at Championship level with a different club.

That would be really odd in my opinion.

McCallum has a season under his belt at the top end of league one- personally dont see wht he'd need to get Championship experience elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

That would be really odd in my opinion.

McCallum has a season under his belt at the top end of league one- personally dont see wht he'd need to get Championship experience elsewhere.

It’s an odd one, but I guess the situation is very fluid.

If Lewis doesn’t go then it’s better to keep Heise around to be back up (or Xavi Quintilla) and let McCallum go and play 40 games somewhere (likely at Coventry I’d imagine). 

If Lewis does go the Xavi and McCallum can stay to fight for the starting slot. 

22 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Lewis doesn’t go then it’s better to keep Heise around to be back up (or Xavi Quintilla) and let McCallum go and play 40 games somewhere (likely at Coventry I’d imagine). 

Xavi Quintilla would not be coming here to be a backup to Jamal Lewis or anybody, not after playing 19 games last season for the team which finished 5th in La Liga.

If we're linked with him then I should imagine that is our target to replace Jamal Lewis should he leave. 

Unless that is what you were trying to say, Heise back up to Lewis/Quintilla (but that's not how it read) in which case I agree,. Can see no problem with McCallum going out on loan as long as it is a higher standard than League One.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Xavi Quintilla would not be coming here to be a backup to Jamal Lewis or anybody, not after playing 19 games last season for the team which finished 5th in La Liga.

If we're linked with him then I should imagine that is our target to replace Jamal Lewis should he leave. 

Unless that is what you were trying to say, Heise back up to Lewis/Quintilla (but that's not how it read) in which case I agree,. Can see no problem with McCallum going out on loan as long as it is a higher standard than League One.  

I hadn't realised he played that often for Villarael. Interesting.

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think most of us thought that Farhmann wouldn’t be coming to be back up to Krul. But the club gave him no promises about playing time. 

Quintllla has been told he’s surplus to requirements at Villareal, and was only ever a back up there suggests he might not be so demanding with his playing time. 

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think most of us thought that Farhmann wouldn’t be coming to be back up to Krul. But the club gave him no promises about playing time. 

Quintllla has been told he’s surplus to requirements at Villareal, and was only ever a back up there suggests he might not be so demanding with his playing time. 

I'd still consider it likely that Quintilla is lined up as our Jamal Lewis replacement (or on a list of possible targets), should somebody meet our valuation.

I mean, if somebody did displace Jamal Lewis and relegate him to the bench in the Championship then we're waving goodbye to the £12m-£15m that we could probably get for Lewis in this market.

And there have been rumours for a while that Lewis wants out, and they seemed to coincide with his drastic loss in form. 

I should imagine it is also quite difficult to go from almost signing for the best club in the world to preparing for another season in the Championship.

As much as I'd love to think that we'd have two quality left backs fighting it out for a place in our Championship side, I can't help but feel that I'm being the realist here.

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd still consider it likely that Quintilla is lined up as our Jamal Lewis replacement (or on a list of possible targets), should somebody meet our valuation.

I mean, if somebody did displace Jamal Lewis and relegate him to the bench in the Championship then we're waving goodbye to the £12m-£15m that we could probably get for Lewis in this market.

And there have been rumours for a while that Lewis wants out, and they seemed to coincide with his drastic loss in form. 

I should imagine it is also quite difficult to go from almost signing for the best club in the world to preparing for another season in the Championship.

As much as I'd love to think that we'd have two quality left backs fighting it out for a place in our Championship side, I can't help but feel that I'm being the realist here.

I think the Quintilla pursuit is due to Lewis likely leaving (I don’t agree about a drop in form though, he played some of his best stuff for Norwich after getting back in after Byram’s injury). 

But I don’t think Quintilla is entirely reliant on Lewis leaving. Hence the deal being chased while Lewis is still around. While there is a chance Leicester might want Lewis, if Chilwell leaves, there is still a lot to happen before that comes to fruition. 

6 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

This bloke suggesting Ben Gibson doesn't fancy a move to Carrow Road. No clue if he's reliable or not.

I know Andy, he's certainly not the kind of bloke to make sh*t up for the sake of it. He used to post on here a few years ago, don't think he does any more though.

12 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

The piece says they’ve been ‘fielding loan enquiries for McCallum’.

Didn't we pay about £3m for him? Or have I made that up? Seems an expensive player for us to loan??

Apparently Messi is unhappy at Barca and wants to move. Now's our chance! Get the cheque book out Delia

7 minutes ago, Legend Iwan said:

Rumour has it that we're getting Oliver Skipp in on loan from Spurs

Pretty much a done deal apparently. Lot of Spurs fans seem to think it will be with Aarons going the other way, but I’m not so sure about that. 

11 minutes ago, Legend Iwan said:

Rumour has it that we're getting Oliver Skipp in on loan from Spurs

Just seen the above. Seems pretty certain. Know very little about him if I'm honest.

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

Didn't we pay about £3m for him? Or have I made that up? Seems an expensive player for us to loan??

Yeah it was around that mark. 

All I can say is it really depends on what he's been like in training, Nayul. Do they see him getting in this season? Is our current first choice LB moving on or not?

Many players have been signed for more money than that and been sent on loan, admittedly by richer teams than us most the time!

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Pretty much a done deal apparently. Lot of Spurs fans seem to think it will be with Aarons going the other way, but I’m not so sure about that. 

Hopefully, would certainly add a good ball-playing defensive mid option for us.

However Fulham are keen on loaning him too, and Parker has links with Skipp through his time as a youth coach at Spurs. Wonder if they might gazump us.

Just now, Legend Iwan said:

Hopefully, would certainly add a good ball-playing defensive mid option for us.

However Fulham are keen on loaning him too, and Parker has links with Skipp through his time as a youth coach at Spurs. Wonder if they might gazump us.

I guess one will get Skipp and one will get Amadou. Happy with either to be honest. 

Reading apparently were trying hard for Skipp also, but seems Norwich have beat them to it.