Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

26 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Bailey just covers the club line... Whether true or not you will hear what the club wants from those sources. So if the club is still trying but doesn't want it known... That's what Bailey and the pinkun print.

True, they get their info from the club. But the relationship is based on trust, the club won’t lie to those guys and those guys won’t lie for the club. 

Bailey knew Dowell was coming but kept quiet because the club didn’t want it leaked. That’s different from what he’s been saying about Dennis Man which is that the deal is dead. 

The Pink’Un and Athletic are certainly more reliable sources than random people on Twitter. 

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Can’t work out which would be worse - Buendia to Leeds or Villa...

Given how badly Villa are run, we'd probably have the opposite experience than what we had with Liverpool. We'd tell them we wanted £20mil per player and they'd offer £25m.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

Given how badly Villa are run, we'd probably have the opposite experience than what we had with Liverpool. We'd tell them we wanted £20mil per player and they'd offer £25m.

Badly run and in a division higher than us... 

16 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Badly run and in a division higher than us... 

Being in a higher division doesn't equal better run.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Being in a higher division doesn't equal better run.

I would suggest that the owners of Villa had to deal with a massive issue in contracts and out going of players and are now set to gain the financial awards at a time when fans can not to guaranteed to supply clubs with cash... its extremely lazy, imo, to think they are badly run.. I would much rather we were in the Premier league than the 2nd tier.  

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I would suggest that the owners of Villa had to deal with a massive issue in contracts and out going of players and are now set to gain the financial awards at a time when fans can not to guaranteed to supply clubs with cash... its extremely lazy, imo, to think they are badly run.. I would much rather we were in the Premier league than the 2nd tier.  

It's extremely lazy, imo, to think they are well-run simply because they managed to stay up on the last day of the season.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

It's much lazier to assume "because they're in the premier league they're well run" when a little research showed that when they were deep in relegation trouble members of their board were already publically stating how catastrophic relegation would be for the state of that club.

Just now, Kenny Foggo said:

I would rather we were in the PL. I don't know how well or badly Villa are run but it would be interesting to know how much of the money they spent last season was "borrowed" from this seasons TV money. Seems like transfer fees are spread over 2/3 seasons these days so I wonder how much they owe themselves if you know what I mean. 

Villa may have been lucky to stay up, but the messages from the management and ownership were always that relegation would be a disaster for them and it was key to avoid it at all costs, was that a more effective motivator than constantly playing down their chances, calling us underdogs and expecting to be relegated from day 1?

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

It's much lazier to assume "because they're in the premier league they're well run" when a little research showed that when they were deep in relegation trouble members of their board were already publically stating how catastrophic relegation would be for the state of that club.

I am not and have not stated that they are well run, but people put them up against us as an example... seemingly to forget that we had to have a fire sale of players to avoid catastrophic relegation. Villa did not go down and I suspect will push on. We chose another route which only time will tell was sensible or not, given the new reality of fan free stadiums.

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Villa may have been lucky to stay up, but the messages from the management and ownership were always that relegation would be a disaster for them and it was key to avoid it at all costs, was that a more effective motivator than constantly playing down their chances, calling us underdogs and expecting to be relegated from day 1?

Well, yes but that's naturally because they'd spent well outside of their means and would have been in significant financial difficulties had they gone down - so it factually would have been a disaster for that club, who might now be facing that disaster if goal-line technology was up to scratch.

12 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Doesn't sound like a well-run club to me?

Edited by Nuff Said

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I am not and have not stated that they are well run, but people put them up against us as an example... seemingly to forget that we had to have a fire sale of players to avoid catastrophic relegation. Villa did not go down and I suspect will push on. We chose another route which only time will tell was sensible or not, given the new reality of fan free stadiums.

Urm, we haven’t actually sold anyone yet, so have we failed catastrophically at having a fire sale already?!

4 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I would rather we were in the PL. I don't know how well or badly Villa are run but it would be interesting to know how much of the money they spent last season was "borrowed" from this seasons TV money. Seems like transfer fees are spread over 2/3 seasons these days so I wonder how much they owe themselves if you know what I mean. 

True, I have no idea to be honest.. they did replace their supporting director after the season started so you can assume they were not help with player recruitment. I thought they would have replaced Smith but they obviously feel he was not an issue. Also got a new assistant manager whilst keeping Terry with suggests he is off... they have been quick to address the relative failings of the season.. looks like we blamed it all on the players.

25 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I think that's a tricky one, the way City started the season made me think the players clearly had the belief that they were in with a chance of staying up.  I don't know if the whole underdog thing was as attempt to remove outside pressure from the players.  Maybe it backfired but I can't believe that Farke would have started his prematch talks with "well we've got no chance".  That said though, no one likes seeing their clubs manager being interviewed when relegation was confirmed shrugging his shoulders and basically saying "Well we kind of expected it".  

On 10/08/2020 at 16:00, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's been training with them since January and had a major falling out with Burnley because they wouldn't let him move there in the previous transfer window. He is from the area, a huge Boro fan and as mentioned above his uncle owns the club. 

If it was just a one season loan, you can see him wanting to go to Boro as he'd be getting the same wages regardless which club he is at and even if Norwich were promoted, there is no guarantee for him that Norwich would be able to agree a fee to sign him permanently (or would want to). He might as well go to the club where he is most at home and hope that something permanent can be sorted the following summer.

I can't help thinking that fully understanding the back story to Gibson's falling out with his club is crucial in any decision to try and sign him. Burnley paid a lot of money for him and he has hardly played- despite being lauded at one point as the next big thing.

It seems he initially fell out with Dyche and got dropped then latterly as he tried to escape Burnley he has another hissy fit about not being allowed to move to Boro even though it is Boro who won't stump up the money. 

It takes two to tango. If he's fallen out of favour with the manager it is up to him to fix that problem. If he fails to do that then his manager must assume that he's got an attitude problem. Dyche might be a hard task master but he doesn't strike me as a vindictive man who systematically falls out with players.  

Of course there is so much more to this story that we simply don't know about and I'm speculating based on the little information that is in the public domain -However on the surface there is plenty to raise concerns about the player's motives and attitude. 

The analysis might say Gibson is a good money-ball signing. But if his attitude stinks or even if it is mildly suspect we should pass.

Talented but with an attitude problem isn't necessarily what we want. We had that with Nelson. 

Even if we did have it with Nelson, he was decent and we nearly trebled our money (rejected £12m from Swansea one year).

For me, Nelson goes in the "so so" signings rather than flops.

If theres a deal to be done for Gibson, we'd be silly not to do it. At this level (or any level really) any signing is a gamble.

If he is as good as he was, we basically bought a ticket to competing at the top level, if he isn't, Zimm and Hanley continue to start and he goes back in Jan and we've spent around £1m in wage covering. Worth the gamble in my book, can't see where we'd better spend the money unless there is the next Ben White floating about.

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Urm, we haven’t actually sold anyone yet, so have we failed catastrophically at having a fire sale already?!

Urm.. James Maddison

23 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Urm.. James Maddison

Good point well made.

Maddison's catastrophic firesale had awful repercussions for the club. Not only did they receive a club record fee and substantial sell-on clause, but they only went and won the league the year after. Shambles.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Well villa certainly won the mind games. 

Our manager said we basically wouldn't stay up from week one. 

Buendia at villa or Leeds makes me want to hurt people. 

I can't see Villa spending huge amounts this summer to buy both Cantwell and Buendia. I would guess that part of their PL money for this season will be needed to pay for some of last years spending.  The key I guess will be whether Grealish goes but I can't see anyone paying what the media suggests it would take to get him.  He keeps getting touted with a move to Man Utd but I don't see that they will pay the asking because I doubt they would spend that much on a player that wouldn't go straight into the side.  I can't see him playing in a forward position for them because they like pace in those areas that he doesn't have, can't see him displacing Fernandes either. 

1 hour ago, Bonzo said:

I can't help thinking that fully understanding the back story to Gibson's falling out with his club is crucial in any decision to try and sign him. Burnley paid a lot of money for him and he has hardly played- despite being lauded at one point as the next big thing.

It seems he initially fell out with Dyche and got dropped then latterly as he tried to escape Burnley he has another hissy fit about not being allowed to move to Boro even though it is Boro who won't stump up the money. 

It takes two to tango. If he's fallen out of favour with the manager it is up to him to fix that problem. If he fails to do that then his manager must assume that he's got an attitude problem. Dyche might be a hard task master but he doesn't strike me as a vindictive man who systematically falls out with players.  

Of course there is so much more to this story that we simply don't know about and I'm speculating based on the little information that is in the public domain -However on the surface there is plenty to raise concerns about the player's motives and attitude. 

The analysis might say Gibson is a good money-ball signing. But if his attitude stinks or even if it is mildly suspect we should pass.

Talented but with an attitude problem isn't necessarily what we want. We had that with Nelson. 

Yes, we don't know the ins and outs of it, but if he is prone to falling out with his manager he wouldn't last long with us if he did that with Daniel Farke, who doesn't stand for any nonsense from his players.  A good manager though, will always be open to allowing the player concerned a way back in to the fold - as long as they show it in their attitude.  Dyche isn't the vindictive sort, but he is a stickler for certain things and it could be that Gibson just can't fit in with that. Would problems surface with Gibson if he came to us?  Who knows, but if a player is treated in the right way for them, they often respond well to that....but as we know from what we have seen of DF, if they don't respond, they won't stay in favour very long. 

Having said that, I would be amazed if Gibson came to us, knowing he had been training with the Middsbro squad since January and during the lockdown, wearing Middsbro training kit and with his Uncle owning the club. So probability is a season long loan back to Middsbro.....but if they don't want him, you would have to wonder why...........

38 minutes ago, kirku said:

Good point well made.

Maddison's catastrophic firesale had awful repercussions for the club. Not only did they receive a club record fee and substantial sell-on clause, but they only went and won the league the year after. Shambles.

I feel I have explain as you clearly missed the point totally... So here we go.

Maddison HAD to be sold or the club faced real financial difficulties based on over spending

Villa WOULD have to had to sell or the club faced real financial difficulties based on over spending

Those holding up Villa as badly run, must therefore realise so were we, by our current owners.

I hope that helps.

The new plan see us in the same division as when the club "launched" it but albeit currently in better financial position, in that we do not seem in a position desperately having to sell. Also, being linked with better players which is good but the proof is in the pudding....

I hope Webber has a better transfer window this time.

Jesus... Gibson would be a fantastic signing for us. If he doesn't sign for Middlesbrough it will be down to Burnley and finances.  Would be sad to see Cantwell go as he is a talented lad but losing him and Buendia would be unacceptable in my books.

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Jesus... Gibson would be a fantastic signing for us. If he doesn't sign for Middlesbrough it will be down to Burnley and finances.  Would be sad to see Cantwell go as he is a talented lad but losing him and Buendia would be unacceptable in my books.

Totally agree, unless they are really high offers which means we can invest 100% in the team.

Failure to invest in the team would be unacceptable given we have been told we do not need to sell.

• Thanks 1