Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

17 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Shouldn't we be wary of signing a player who has played 6 games in 2 years.

I know he was highly rated before that, but then Drmic was good in 2014. 

It's a fair point. The report mentions it could be a loan or a transfer. If it's a loan with an agreed fee to buy later should we want it's worth a punt I would say. 

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Shouldn't we be wary of signing a player who has played 6 games in 2 years.

I know he was highly rated before that, but then Drmic was good in 2014. 

I would be if it was all injury based but the fact he's just been out of favour means I'd be less worried.

Not NCFC but rumours going round on Twitter that Villa are trying to sign Ollie Watkins from Brentford. That would significantly weaken them next season.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Not NCFC but rumours going round on Twitter that Villa are trying to sign Ollie Watkins from Brentford. That would significantly weaken them next season.

I would be surprised even if the Villa thing turn out false that both he and Benrhama will be at Brentford together next year. I guess their situation would be similar to ours and come down to how they replace any players leaving

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Weaken who, Villa or Brentford?

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Watkins has an £18m release clause. Pretty much guaranteed he’ll be leaving Brentford this season. 

Not if Liverpool are the only interested party 😂

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, king canary said:

I would be if it was all injury based but the fact he's just been out of favour means I'd be less worried.

Doesn't it worry you that Burnley paid £15m for him and then just didn't use him, and that he played just 1 game last season but didn't go out on loan or anything? Just in the abyss? Don't think he was even training with Burnley for much of that time, but in the North East.

So how did it go that wrong, why were Burnley prepared to just let a £15m asset rot? Fall out? Bad attitude? Just not actually very good? Personal problems?

I know Burnley have a good set of defenders but even Kevin Long has played 23 games in two seasons, and he's a 29 year old who has only played 170 games in his entire career.

It just feels a bit odd. A bit Ben Marshall. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Doesn't it worry you that Burnley paid £15m for him and then just didn't use him, and that he played just 1 game last season but didn't go out on loan or anything? Just in the abyss? Don't think he was even training with Burnley for much of that time, but in the North East.

So how did it go that wrong, why were Burnley prepared to just let a £15m asset rot? Fall out? Bad attitude? Just not actually very good? Personal problems?

I know Burnley have a good set of defenders but even Kevin Long has played 23 games in two seasons, and he's a 29 year old who has only played 170 games in his entire career.

well this is our lane, he is a good age, has proven himself at this level and we have 3 or 4 other serviceable centre backs that just need bolstering as they have questionable fitness issues. Gibson would provide capable depth and allow us the flexibility to work a number of tactics without putting square pegs in round holes.

On the loan thing, Leeds had Harrison, White, Messiler, Nketiah, Costa and Augustin on loan last season, most of whom played a significant part.

Villa had Abraham, Derby had Wilson, Mount and Tomori. If you get the right loans at this level then you can massively boost things for a relatively low price. Sure it leaves a big expensive gap the next season but if used moderately that could be the difference.

Surely there must be the odd player in a key position that could help? Shame about Ampadu as he looked like a great shout.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

On the loan thing, Leeds had Harrison, White, Messiler, Nketiah, Costa and Augustin on loan last season, most of whom played a significant part.

Villa had Abraham, Derby had Wilson, Mount and Tomori. If you get the right loans at this level then you can massively boost things for a relatively low price. Sure it leaves a big expensive gap the next season but if used moderately that could be the difference.

Surely there must be the odd player in a key position that could help? Shame about Ampadu as he looked like a great shout.

Well that's the key thing about loans. If it's a player or two of quality that you could not afford, then it's fine. When you rely on the loan market too heavily then you are always chasing your tail as you permanently need 3/4/5 signings every year just to stand still. A good loan can make a huge difference, we've had some great ones throughout the years. We also had some poor ones though and as I said earlier, I don't like the automatic assumption that loaning a player from "bigger" clubs automatically makes them good players. We loaned players to help us in the Championship who never came close to being good enough at that level. Just like permanent transfers, you need to do your homework and don't just take whoever is available. 

Edited by seanthecanary

13 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Watkins has an £18m release clause. Pretty much guaranteed he’ll be leaving Brentford this season. 

Led to believe this isn't the case any more after his contract extension last summer. Although you'd still expect him to be bought by a Prem club in the transfer window.

In theory Gibson is the type of player we want, there are some big buts. As others have said why has he gone for a big fee and not featured at all ?? Burnley will want him off their books in terms of wages and no way will they get more than a fraction of their transfer fee. There is so much risk in there that i would not want to sign him for other than a nominal fee, probably a loan with a view to buy provided he makes X number of appearances

Perhaps Gibson refused to go on loan. It's not unusual for £15m players to sit around in the EPL doing **** all, but not at a club like Burnley. He's 27 and needs to be sorting himself out now tbh. Not entirely comfortable with this one and we could do better?

He's on £45k a week at Burnley so won't be a cheap option to get wrong.

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Agree it is a bit odd and there are some worries- I'm just saying I'd be more concerned if he'd spent two years on and off the treatment table as that can be tougher to overcome.

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Perhaps Gibson refused to go on loan. It's not unusual for £15m players to sit around in the EPL doing **** all, but not at a club like Burnley. He's 27 and needs to be sorting himself out now tbh. Not entirely comfortable with this one and we could do better?

He desperately wanted to leave in January, on loan or permanently, but the club blocked him from leaving as they wanted more of his wages covered and suddenly added a mandatory buy clause into the loan deal they had almost concluded negotiating. Gibson had a big falling out with Burnley over this as they had promised him he could leave that window. 

Any transfer that happens now will almost certainly be a loan - or with Burnley having to cover some of his wages. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

This doesn't sound right- a quick look at the local news suggests he got pissed off when Burnley didn't use him but rejected a number of bids from Watford. Sounds like he wants to play.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

This doesn't sound right- a quick look at the local news suggests he got pissed off when Burnley didn't use him but rejected a number of bids from Watford. Sounds like he wants to play.

Yeah ok. A completely fresh start at somewhere like us might be good for him. A lot will depend on if we sell Godfrey. If our preferred pairing is Ben and Zimbo.

A Gibson/Zimmerman type partnership is what you need in the Championship and if they had the right team/formation around them, then they would work well in the Prem I feel, a la Palace/Burnley et al with 'those sort' of CBs.

I would love to keep Godfrey and how about a back 3 of those guys with wing backs? That would be more than adequate to sort out Championship attacks

Edited by Crabbycanary3
  • Like 2

Not particular new news, but apparently Tottenham are looking at three potential new right backs - Max Aarons being one of them. However, he’d be the most expensive option. Sounds like there could be a similar situation to the Lewis one. 

Spurs have just sold a right back, so will likely start an approach for a new one soon. Interesting to see if Aarons is who the go for. 

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not particular new news, but apparently Tottenham are looking at three potential new right backs - Max Aarons being one of them. However, he’d be the most expensive option. Sounds like there could be a similar situation to the Lewis one. 

Spurs have just sold a right back, so will likely start an approach for a new one soon. Interesting to see if Aarons is who the go for. 

Have you heard anything B Y&G about that old Dennis Man rumour? Keep hearing it's not completely dead and a deal might be thrashed out (but it may just be an overactive Twitter community) with a link also to Palace buying another player from St Bucharest?

14 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

They could be in the market for 2 new right backs with Aurier looking like he will leave as well. There were rumours back in January that mourinho wasn't too keen on Aarons however. 

There are so many teams in the prem in needs of full backs. I will be very surprised if either Aarons or Lewis are both still here come the end of the window. 

I have a feeling we will be left with Todd and Godfrey after this window, lossing Aarons, Lewis and buendia. I would much prefer it the other way round though. 

Just now, sonyc said:

Have you heard anything B Y&G about that old Dennis Man rumour? Keep hearing it's not completely dead and a deal might be thrashed out (but it may just be an overactive Twitter community) with a link also to Palace buying another player from St Bucharest?

The PinkUn guys and Micheal Bailey say it is dead - they are the ones who know these things best. 

While I’m not convinced Placheta was instead of Dennis Man like some have suggested, they seem too different in their skills and styles, I don’t think we’ll see Dennis Man come to Norwich unless Steau Bucharest dramatically change their valuation. 

I straight up 100% saw Ben Godfrey at Notcutts this afternoon. Quite reassuring he was stocking up on homely garden stuff!

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

I straight up 100% saw Ben Godfrey at Notcutts this afternoon. Quite reassuring he was stocking up on homely garden stuff!

Could be buying as a thank you to MWJ and Delia?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The PinkUn guys and Micheal Bailey say it is dead - they are the ones who know these things best. 

While I’m not convinced Placheta was instead of Dennis Man like some have suggested, they seem too different in their skills and styles, I don’t think we’ll see Dennis Man come to Norwich unless Steau Bucharest dramatically change their valuation. 

Cheers.  I had read €10m. Agree MB is a good source.

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Cheers.  I had read €10m. Agree MB is a good source.

Bailey just covers the club line... Whether true or not you will hear what the club wants from those sources. So if the club is still trying but doesn't want it known... That's what Bailey and the pinkun print.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

6 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Could be buying as a thank you to MWJ and Delia?

Nothing too exciting in his trolley. I was going to say he'd left it a bit late for lawn fertiliser. Was with his WAG. Seems quite a home boy.

Edited by Capt. Pants

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Nothing too exciting in his trolley. I was going to say he'd left it a bit late for lawn fertiliser. Was with his WAG. Seems quite a home boy.

Wow, he took them both shopping at the same time?!? Brave man our Ben...