Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

Ampadu would be a great signing for the Championship imo. A 19 year old homegrown who can play CB or Defensive Midfield, what is not to like🤔

• Like 1

Agreed - thought we might have moved for him last season as it was obviously not working for him at Leipzig.

Wales fans love him 🙂

At 19 it's probably too early to call him a flop.

Nick Ma****er is reliable when it comes to Norwich. Doubt his wages are too silly and for first team football at Championship  level in a team that suits his game I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea subsidised them.

If we were to keep all 4 of our current central defenders I'd like us to loan in 1 more.

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

Its still a weird thing to do though. Why not just keep him and sell him next summer if we don't bounce back? Will the loan fee really be that big?

Doing the deal this summer would then at least guarantee a chunk of cash. A future fee, probably tied to a certain number of appearances, would be part of the loan deal. 

It could mean the selling clubs gets the full value of the player, rather than the summer 2020 value which could be worst window for selling clubs for years. 

Either way, clubs are being very risk adverse, and this could be a way for both to manage risk. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Nick Ma****er is reliable when it comes to Norwich. Doubt his wages are too silly and for first team football at Championship  level in a team that suits his game I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea subsidised them.

If we were to keep all 4 of our current central defenders I'd like us to loan in 1 more.

Would much prefer us to buy him than loan him in, god knows i dont trust this club with loan players anymore 

57 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would much prefer us to buy him than loan him in, god knows i dont trust this club with loan players anymore 

In the championship no club is buying Ampadu. If you want that level of quality the only small chance is a loan.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Clubs do, we would not pay his full wage

Chelsea benefit by his playing football at the standard required and get to save money - we get a player of good standard without the full cost.

I wonder though if it will see the loss of Klose, Zimmerman or Hanley, Neither three would be up to another PL season and I'm not too sure if any will get through this coming season injury free. And the one thing we have learnt with present set up is there is no place for sentimentality.

I suspect the starting X1, come mid autumn, will be dramatically different to the one that finished the season.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hasnt he been a bit of a flop? And given chelsea plus RB Leipzig links no doubt huge wages.

Nonsense story

Leipzig finished 3rd in the Bundesliga- not breaking into their team hardly makes him a flop- that would be like us turning our nose up at someone who couldn't get into the Man U team.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hasnt he been a bit of a flop? And given chelsea plus RB Leipzig links no doubt huge wages.

Nonsense story

Cambridgeshire Canary - our resident expert in Ethan Ampadu, ladies and gentlemen. 

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Cambridgeshire Canary - our resident expert in Ethan Ampadu, ladies and gentlemen. 

He's a quantity not quality man. Not Ampadou...the expert fella.

10 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Never claimed I was an expert, just pointed out he didnt make it at chelsea, never got the time at Leipzig and has very high wages.

No need to be snide or condescending 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Its still a weird thing to do though. Why not just keep him and sell him next summer if we don't bounce back? Will the loan fee really be that big?

Exactly this. If we don’t need to sell any of our players why would we try to do so via the loan system? I doubt this story is true but should it happen then we shouldn’t give any credence to the club’s propaganda.

9 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

He's a quantity not quality man. Not Ampadou...the expert fella.

So, what you're saying, is he's our resident expert in everything? 

Ampadu would be an outstanding signing, even on loan. If we lose Godfrey and replace him with Ampadu, I think that would be a really impressive replacement. If we have an option to buy for less than £10m if we get promoted, that would be one of the best signings we could possibly make given our strategy. The lad is absolute quality, I've seen him play several times for Wales.

The fact he has very few first-team appearances (at Chelsea and RB Leipzig combined) is what makes the Championship a reasonable next move for him. If we manage to get him, be thankful.

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Ampadu would be an outstanding signing, even on loan. If we lose Godfrey and replace him with Ampadu, I think that would be a really impressive replacement. If we have an option to buy for less than £10m if we get promoted, that would be one of the best signings we could possibly make given our strategy. The lad is absolute quality, I've seen him play several times for Wales.

The fact he has very few first-team appearances (at Chelsea and RB Leipzig combined) is what makes the Championship a reasonable next move for him. If we manage to get him, be thankful.

Doesn't Ampadu play as a midfielder nowadays? Kind of a reverse Godfrey in that sense.

Still, even if he may not have had the best time at the 'big clubs' wont lie he would be a decent signing, and does fit the webber/farke recruitment mould 

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Doesn't Ampadu play as a midfielder nowadays? Kind of a reverse Godfrey in that sense.

Still, even if he may not have had the best time at the 'big clubs' wont lie he would be a decent signing, and does fit the webber/farke recruitment mould 

Well he's only played about a dozen senior games, so I'd imagine Farke/Webber have a clear plan if they are going for him. Having signed Sorensen, I'd guess it's probably as a centre back with Godfrey on the way.

Ampadu would be a fantastic signing but I think it's wishful thinking. I'm just wondering if and who of our squad Chelsea might be interested in to make a move happen? Azpilicueta is getting on a bit, so possible Aarons, but they have Reece James back who looks to have slotted in nicely. Godfrey?

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Ampadu would be a fantastic signing but I think it's wishful thinking. I'm just wondering if and who of our squad Chelsea might be interested in to make a move happen? Azpilicueta is getting on a bit, so possible Aarons, but they have Reece James back who looks to have slotted in nicely. Godfrey?

Why does it have to involve one of our players?

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Why does it have to involve one of our players?

Obviously it doesn't. I'm just thinking about a scenario whereby we can have a conversation with Chelsea about getting him. Otherwise I can see him being loaned to somewhere like Leeds or Villa.

Now adding that level of quality and keeping our best 5 youngsters would be a dream, but reality is Ampadu is probably looking for a top division move doubt we’d be attractive to him unless guaranteed game time. But good to see us all agree he’s quality.

Ampadu is great and Norwich getting him, even on loan, would raise eyebrows. I think many expected him to end up at a mid to lower table Premier League side next season. 

He is mostly a centre back, but can play defensive midfield equally well. 

You only need to have seen him in the Champions’ League game against Tottenham to realise that he has a bright future. Leipzig wasn’t the right move for him as he’d always struggle to get ahead of players like Upamecano and Klostermann. 

Sounds like this is very close to being completed so fingers crossed. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Ampadu is great and Norwich getting him, even on loan, would raise eyebrows. I think many expected him to end up at a mid to lower table Premier League side next season. 

He is mostly a centre back, but can play defensive midfield equally well. 

You only need to have seen him in the Champions’ League game against Tottenham to realise that he has a bright future. Leipzig wasn’t the right move for him as he’d always struggle to get ahead of players like Upamecano and Klostermann. 

Sounds like this is very close to being completed so fingers crossed. 

Bloody hell, that would be quite some statement.

Given he's not had a run of games at Chelsea or Leipzig, I can understand the logic of Chelsea wanting him to get regular football at a club that's likely to be on the front foot, rather than competing for a place in a PL side that's likely to be struggling. He's still only 19, after all.

He's contracted until 2023 I believe, so even if we were promoted I think it's highly unlikely we'd be able to sign him, but it's one of those 'enjoy him while you can' signings.

We’ve not used the loan market as well as we might over the last few seasons, but it gives access to players you’d never be able to afford.  The promoted sides were certainly reliant on them Leeds (eg Harrison, Clarke, Costa), Fulham (Arter, Knockhaert, Harrison) and WBA - they all used loans well this season.

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Bloody hell, that would be quite some statement.

Given he's not had a run of games at Chelsea or Leipzig, I can understand the logic of Chelsea wanting him to get regular football at a club that's likely to be on the front foot, rather than competing for a place in a PL side that's likely to be struggling. He's still only 19, after all.

He's contracted until 2023 I believe, so even if we were promoted I think it's highly unlikely we'd be able to sign him, but it's one of those 'enjoy him while you can' signings.

That last bit might well be the case, but if by chance we do sign him, get promoted he’d only be 20, so might be good for another year loan in the top flight. 

Let’s wait and see, but with all the new signings we still haven’t off loaded anyone, so can’t get too excited till we know who’s gone and who’s here the first game!

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We’ve not used the loan market as well as we might over the last few seasons, but it gives access to players you’d never be able to afford.  The promoted sides were certainly reliant on them Leeds (eg Harrison, Clarke, Costa), Fulham (Arter, Knockhaert, Harrison) and WBA - they all used loans well this season.

Agreed on both counts. The loans this season were disappointing. I say disappointing because if I say what I really think my entire post would be asterisks. Loans are a way of bringing in quality that you couldn't afford to buy and as long as we don't end up with half a team full of them again, I'm OK with it. 

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Doing the deal this summer would then at least guarantee a chunk of cash. A future fee, probably tied to a certain number of appearances, would be part of the loan deal. 

It could mean the selling clubs gets the full value of the player, rather than the summer 2020 value which could be worst window for selling clubs for years. 

Either way, clubs are being very risk adverse, and this could be a way for both to manage risk. 

Their might be tax advantages too? We wouldn't want to sell everyone in the same window?