Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree re. Stiepermann. Suspect he wouldn't mind having a speedy winger or two around him as it gives him more space down the middle. He's just one of those who clearly couldn't make the leap, but would be excellent in a central spine for the Championship.

Aren’t we trying to find players who can make the leap and play them instead? Say we played an entire season with Stieperman as a 10 and we got promoted...then what? We’d have to buy a new one for the prem.

25 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Aren’t we trying to find players who can make the leap and play them instead? Say we played an entire season with Stieperman as a 10 and we got promoted...then what? We’d have to buy a new one for the prem.

or just swap his shirt number

and I am sure we'll be working out a plan to cross that bridge, when it is in sight

No links, but wouldn't mind seeing us sign Charlie Kirk from Crewe. The attacking midfielder fits the bill of being a young hungry lower division player with lots of potential. Just got promoted with Crewe but still wouldn't cost a lot. Crewe were well known for producing very good talents, not so sure now, but could be a potential bargain.

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

With that logic we would have to change the entire existing squad as nobody made the step up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerrykerry said:

With that logic we would have to change the entire existing squad as nobody made the step up. 

So out of the whole squad you think that no one is capable of holding down a spot in a premier league side just because we got relegated? Logic!

5 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

There is simply no "logic" in that whatsoever

7 hours ago, WD40 said:

Sure, but we've also got to get back up there. Stiepermann would be a splendid back-up player for the Championship in that position if you do find that player who looks like he can make the leap, and if he's struggling, put Stiepi back in.

8 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree re. Stiepermann. Suspect he wouldn't mind having a speedy winger or two around him as it gives him more space down the middle. He's just one of those who clearly couldn't make the leap, but would be excellent in a central spine for the Championship.

He was a strange one this season, seemed to come out of his shell vs Preston and then just went quiet again. Might have been overrawed by it all!

45 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

He was a strange one this season, seemed to come out of his shell vs Preston and then just went quiet again. Might have been overrawed by it all!

Preston possibly  one of the weakest oppo we played...... could be the reason.

7 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Not the entire squad but a huge chunk of it, yes. That is what Webber would want to do if he could. Our entire central midfield needs replacing at least.

But taking Stiepermann as an example, he’s 29 and we know he isn’t the future. Sure play him as a back up in the Champs but hopefully we’ll find a talent to blood in. 

Have a hunch steips will be kept on, he'll  do a job if needed,  his clunky awkwardness  is an asset  ....occasionally. 

7 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Sebastian Soto signed from Hannover according to Sky Sports News

It’s official, he’s on Norwich website 

“Being a young player, it’s nice to hear that the head coach gives us a chance. It was a big factor in me moving here. I’m striker that loves scoring goals. I love being part of a good team that plays good football.”

🙂

10 hours ago, WD40 said:

There are plenty of players who have been in that same scenario and been binned by the promoted Club, that is a natural step sometimes.

Marco would be another season maturer but into his 31st year so may not have any complaints if he is asked to slide down the squad rankings (or may actually go for a 'final' career move at that age).

18 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Mumba officially confirmed.

Bailey on Twitter also confirms he's one for the first team, as 'right back cover' which would make the sudden Max-to-Bayern links seem ominous.

Indeed, do think hes off

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Indeed, do think hes off

I wouldn't blame Max for leaving for such a team. Hopefully their would be some interest from the Prem to push up his price if he were to leave. I would expect some substantial add ons factored into any deal to factor in his future development and likeliness to become a full England International etc at some stage.

Might be helpful to list the squad as it is now, with the odd assumption about young players, so it can be updated:

Krul, McGovern

-

Lewis, Aarons, Byram, Mumba, McCallum, Heise

-

Zimmermann, Klose, Godfrey, Hanley, Famewo

-

Tettey, Sitti, Sorensen, Rupp, Trybull, McLean, Leitner, Gilmour

-

Vrancic, Buendia, Stiepermann, Cantwell

-

Martin, Hernandez, Placheta, Sinani

-

Drmic, Pukki, Idah

(Soto unavailable)

-

I had forgotten Gilmour who I imagine will be in the squad. Either way there is an obvious overload in that central defensive midfield area, and a lack of one keeper at least, and probably a striker as well.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Thomas and Adshead maybe in the first-team picture as they were both on the bench? Or maybe just a bit of an experience for them.

Gilmour should be although I saw he had a back injury during a recent podcast interview he did. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

“Being a young player, it’s nice to hear that the head coach gives us a chance. It was a big factor in me moving here. I’m striker that loves scoring goals. I love being part of a good team that plays good football.”

🙂

This is exactly why we should be excited about the whole concept as for a long time youth development was rather more miss than hit, or indeed very much neglected. This is what attracts promising young talent - the fact that a team will give them their break at first-team level and is committed to that philosophy.

I have said on Facebook here and there that the aim looks very much to replicate what Auxerre did under Guy Roux as they became quite the powerhouse of French youth development - which for a smallish French town of around 100,000 inhabitants around 100 miles away from Paris - led to them becoming quite a respected fixture in European football for a couple of decades.

Not saying we could necessarily carry it quite as far this way in the cash-rich Premier League, but in the absence of big money this is very much the way to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Preston possibly  one of the weakest oppo we played...... could be the reason.

Hence why I said “overrawed by it all” referring to premiership standard opposition

• Thanks 1

Looks like we’re on a mini spending spree until you realise just selling Cantwell would probably cover all transfers fees and contract wages. 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Looks like we’re on a mini spending spree until you realise just selling Cantwell would probably cover all transfers fees and contract wages. 

Except we haven't sold him of anyone yet. So we are strengthening. 

The test comes if we do sell, as that unlocks cash to go for a couple of higher quality targets. That's when the board will be scrutinised for ambition. 

1 minute ago, Jerrykerry said:

The test comes if we do sell, as that unlocks cash to go for a couple of higher quality targets. That's when the board will be scrutinised for ambition. 

oh dear

given we will have a cut of around £50m in this years income, why not tell us how we are funding the buying and wages of all the recent arrivals

4 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

I hope you are correct. 

4 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

There are plenty of players who have been in that same scenario and been binned by the promoted Club, that is a natural step sometimes.

Marco would be another season maturer but into his 31st year so may not have any complaints if he is asked to slide down the squad rankings (or may actually go for a 'final' career move at that age).

If we do get promoted, I think we can be fairly sure we will buy, or loan, several players. So Marco to get us back, then as backup for PL quality replacement is entirely possible.

Todd Cantwell out, then the likes of Dennis Man in. Something along these lines is what I will expect will happen over the coming weeks. Whether that be Cantwell, or another one of the younger first team members.