Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

I don't think we'll go for Man now we've got Placheta. It would be a stark change in style to have Man, Placheta and Hernandez in the first team squad, as they're all proper wingers. Farke generally prefers the wider players of the attacking three to be able to play narrow and allow the fullbacks to overlap.

Or maybe Cantwell is on his way, and Man/Placheta will be the replacements? Given the prominence of our attacking full-backs (who presumably won't be pegged back and overrun next season), might it be an idea to consider playing with inverted wingers, who can cut inside and shoot on their stronger foot (or play intricate passes in more central attacking positions)? Whipping in crosses to an aerial threat has never been high on Farke's list of priorities, so inverted wide players would make sense to me.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

I don't think we'll go for Man now we've got Placheta. It would be a stark change in style to have Man, Placheta and Hernandez in the first team squad, as they're all proper wingers. Farke generally prefers the wider players of the attacking three to be able to play narrow and allow the fullbacks to overlap.

If Buendia and Cantwell go then we may start to switch to proper/inverted wingers. Especially if (when) we lose Max - Byram isn't as forward thinking and to be honest, maybe we're better off without bombing fullbacks all the time. We'd probably be more solid defensively if our Full backs had a more disciplined, dedicated defensive role.

10 minutes ago, kick it off said:

If Buendia and Cantwell go then we may start to switch to proper/inverted wingers. Especially if (when) we lose Max - Byram isn't as forward thinking and to be honest, maybe we're better off without bombing fullbacks all the time. We'd probably be more solid defensively if our Full backs had a more disciplined, dedicated defensive role.

Fair points. It'll be interesting to see to what extent Farke is prepared to change it up based on the harsh lessons from this season.

I love the guy, but he does seem pretty strongly wedded to his style of football. I'd love to see him develop more tactical weapons in his arsenal, rather than just expecting to walk the league again playing the exact same formation and style that worked last time. A little bit of contingency planning will go a long way to securing us promotion.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Fair points. It'll be interesting to see to what extent Farke is prepared to change it up based on the harsh lessons from this season.

I love the guy, but he does seem pretty strongly wedded to his style of football. I'd love to see him develop more tactical weapons in his arsenal, rather than just expecting to walk the league again playing the exact same formation and style that worked last time. A little bit of contingency planning will go a long way to securing us promotion.

He started off playing 4-1-4-1, but switched to 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Maddison in the no. 10 position. He has also switched formations a few times since the lockdown, and has expressed his frustrations at not being able to play five at the back, to be fair.

If we were to sign Man, I wouldn't be surprised to see us switch to a Liverpool type 4-3-3 formation. Man and Placheta seem to be more out-and-out wingers/forwards, as opposed to Buendia and Cantwell playing between the lines.

Interesting times ahead!

Dennis Man talks have officially been scrapped according to Pinkun journos.

A shame but dealing with their owner sounds like a nightmare. On to the next.

13 hours ago, Surfer said:

Chris Martin is not a bad shout. Derby are obviously going nowhere.... 

Chris Martin would be a good option if we needed another bollard for the car park but I'd imagine a concrete post would be cheaper.

Edited by Bonzo
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I often wonder whether he had planned to use 3 centre backs more often prior to the injuries. It was often his second choice formation.

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

I often wonder whether he had planned to use 3 centre backs more often prior to the injuries. It was often his second choice formation.

I think you'll find that was reactive when we had to try and stop the goals we kept conceding. 

A better defensive midfielder, and a better and fit centre back is what's needed, not 3 big guys standing at the back doing sod all. 

5 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

I think you'll find that was reactive when we had to try and stop the goals we kept conceding. 

A better defensive midfielder, and a better and fit centre back is what's needed, not 3 big guys standing at the back doing sod all. 

Better, bigger and fit centre half is what's needed.

We concede to many goals from corners and set pieces.

4 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

I remember him using it "reactively" but as an attacking option - the two "outside" centre backs pushed up higher and the wing backs pushed up further still to operate like wingers.  He also often used it to add a second striker in a 3-5-2.

49 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Better, bigger and fit centre half is what's needed.

We concede to many goals from corners and set pieces.

I still think we'd have been less porous at set pieces had two of Zimbo, Hanley and Klose been fit all season. Neither Zimbo nor Hanley are especially injury-prone in essence, they've just been unlucky this season. And Klose's long-term injury has undoubtedly had an influence on his recent poor form; he's never looked a liability before, and I'm convinced he'll be fine in the Championship next season if he stays. If anything, we probably need another more mobile, ball-playing centre half in the Godfrey mould (especially if Godfrey leaves this summer).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I still think we'd have been less porous at set pieces had two of Zimbo, Hanley and Klose been fit all season. Neither Zimbo nor Hanley are especially injury-prone in essence, they've just been unlucky this season. And Klose's long-term injury has undoubtedly had an influence on his recent poor form; he's never looked a liability before, and I'm convinced he'll be fine in the Championship next season if he stays. If anything, we probably need another more mobile, ball-playing centre half in the Godfrey mould (especially if Godfrey leaves this summer).

Think I probably disagree slightly but only based on our Championship winning season where we had Zimbo, Hanley and Godfrey but still conceded way to many goals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bonzo said:

Chris Martin would be a good option if we needed another bollard for the car park but I'd imagine a concrete post would be cheaper.

Well if you put it like that. I was just thinking we could get both him and Rooney on a package deal. 

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

You are Herr Farke and I claim my £5 

Anyone know of any solid Prem centrebacks on semi low/norwich affordable wages that wouldn't mind making the move to us/down a league?

Dan Burn from Brighton seems like one 6ft 6 and not on huge wages, not a regular starter and pretty decent.

Or maybe Burnleys Ben Gibson..

20 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Anyone know of any solid Prem centrebacks on semi low/norwich affordable wages that wouldn't mind making the move to us/down a league?

Dan Burn from Brighton seems like one 6ft 6 and not on huge wages, not a regular starter and pretty decent.

Or maybe Burnleys Ben Gibson..

Ben Gibson is a good shot, the move from Boro didn't work out for him.

Would be expensive to buy though.

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You really are a funny fish sometimes cc.........

This from Wikipedia.......

made his league debut for the club on the opening day of the 2019–20 season away to Watford, playing in a back three alongside Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy; according to the Telegraph's report, he excelled as Albion won 3–0.[62] He continued as a fixture in the starting eleven, and by the end of the year was the only Brighton player to play every minute of their Premier League campaign.

• Haha 1

So any truth to Lewis & Buendia to Liverpool? Both young and fit the profile of Liverpool signings! Interesting that both would be linked given our recent signings.

I’d be very happy to see them both go to the champions to further their potential, but are they good enough to really push into a Liverpool first team?

Edited by Indy

12 hours ago, Bonzo said:

The squad would be considerably harder on nights out though...

I don't think he's interested in going to Turkey

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-striker-pukki-reacts-to-reports-of-transfer-interest-from-galatasaray-1-5780738

Pukki, however, quoted in Finnish newspaper Hufvudstadsbladet, reiterated he is loving life at Carrow Road.

“It is obviously flattering, but at the same time I know that rumours always circulate. Most do not match,” he said. “(How much would you be interested on a possible move to Istanbul?) Not so badly. Me and my family are enjoying ourselves very much in Norwich.”

6 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

I don't think he's interested in going to Turkey

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-striker-pukki-reacts-to-reports-of-transfer-interest-from-galatasaray-1-5780738

Pukki, however, quoted in Finnish newspaper Hufvudstadsbladet, reiterated he is loving life at Carrow Road.

“It is obviously flattering, but at the same time I know that rumours always circulate. Most do not match,” he said. “(How much would you be interested on a possible move to Istanbul?) Not so badly. Me and my family are enjoying ourselves very much in Norwich.”

Hum, where to live? Istanbul or Attleborough?

Istanbul is the greatest city on the planet. Can't wait to get back there. This is probably ****e though, the turkish press make it up as they go along.

Those quotes were from when he was on the top of his game and so on; things obviously change, but I there’s probably notthing in this.  
I’d have thought getting his form back and helping us return to the PL would be appealing enough if his family is settled here; Finland will still pick him in the Euros If he’s playing in the Champs.

I see there are quotes from Tim Krul saying he's not going to force a move away from Norwich this summer, quoting his gratitude at the club "taking a chance" on him. He says "Norwich is simply a beautiful and strong club". Love that guy.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/07/25/im-not-going-to-force-anything-norwich-star-declares-commitment-to-club/462997/

I do wonder whether the Tim Kruls and Teemu Pukkis of our team might even turn down moves given how settled they are with their families? ' 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darth Vadis said:

Anything close to around £10m then surely we have to take it. 

Why? He was the second highest ever scoring Championship striker last season. 

The price of a top Championship striker is £20m now.

How on earth would be replace? Take a punt on somebody cheap? 

He's essential and will score plenty again in that league. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The price of a top Championship striker is £20m now.

How on earth would be replace? Take a punt on somebody cheap? 

I mean we did sign Pukki for free.