nutty nigel

OT: Championship relegation.

Is it right that three clubs who complete their season should be replaced by three who will be promoted basically by default.

I'd be interested to hear your views. I think it's wrong. But then I always believe the same rules should apply throughout the divisions 

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Is it right that three clubs who complete their season should be replaced by three who will be promoted basically by default.

I'd be interested to hear your views. I think it's wrong. But then I always believe the same rules should apply throughout the divisions 

That’s a fair question but please try and answer questions you may be asked yourself. We don’t want it to turn into an episode of 321 and people feeling riddled out. 

I think the argument was that League One and League Two effectively didn't have any money coming in, hence needing to use the furlough scheme.

I personally don't object to it hugely- ideally it all would have been played out but I don't think there was any great desire to push though.

In an ideal world football from top to bottom in this country would have been able to shutter itself until things were much more normal- however that just isn't really possible.

It's wrong, but it is difficult to see there was any other way of doing it. Coventry probably fair enough, a few points clear but Rotherham got lucky just edging second - but then Peterborough are the real losers having been put back into 7th place when they were in 6th before the calculations were made and so missing the play offs.  A huge blow to them and I hope they respond by winning the league next year.

Edited by lake district canary

15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's wrong, but it is difficult to see there was any other way of doing it. Coventry probably fair enough, a few points clear but Rotherham got lucky just edging second - but then Peterborough are the real losers having been put back into 7th place when they were in 6th before the calculations were made and so missing the play offs.  A huge blow to them and I hope they respond by winning the league next year.

Yes that was extra tough on Peterborough. 

As for Coventry, it won't be the first time they have profited by questionable endings to a season. It's also debatable whether the champs should accept them.  I don't think that set up would be promoted from the national league to league two.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

TURNER

🎶  We don't need another query  🎶

All a load of Bullocks to me (sorry!)

Do feel sorry for Peterborough though, for the first time that I can remember, even though they did give us Russ. 

31 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes that was extra tough on Peterborough. 

As for Coventry, it won't be the first time they have profited by questionable endings to a season. It's also debatable whether the champs should accept them.  I don't think that set up would be promoted from the national league to league two.

My favourite was the 1977 late kick off debacle against Bristol City. Sunderland fans have never forgiven Jimmy Hill and their full time score at Everton flashing up on the scoreboard at Highfield Road. 

Other than that I think their other misdemeanours have have been repeated at many other clubs over the years. We could easily have been a points deducted club in the last two decades  without that bit of luck. 

I totally disagree with that. Recklessly running football clubs has nothing to do with bad luck. While clubs that are run well have nothing to do with good luck.

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I totally disagree with that. Recklessly running football clubs has nothing to do with bad luck. While clubs that are run well have nothing to do with good luck.

I think Leicester did the deed before Coventry. Got away with it with no penalty I believe and ex players Lineker and Heskey waded in heavy with donations to keep them afloat.  At least Coventry got their bottom spanked quite hard. 

re Wigan. Did I read it correctly that they would get a 12 point deduction only if they finished out of the relegation zone, and if there were in the relegation zone the deduction would apply next year? I think that is so, but if they finish more than 12 points clear of the relegation zone, are they getting a points deduction this year or next year?

Bear in mind that Wycombe & Northampton both got into the play-offs using the PPG proposal and both earned promotion.

There has been nothing fair about this season's ending.

I guarantee it has only happened because of the CL and the three clubs coming up to the EPL.

The EFL talked a load of shiite. Championship clubs lose as much money as L1/2 clubs. But they had to be seen to be doing all they can to avoid null and void or else the three clubs would not have been promoted.

But why have we ever believed the bull that the clubs look out for each other. That is just a lie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

re Wigan. Did I read it correctly that they would get a 12 point deduction only if they finished out of the relegation zone, and if there were in the relegation zone the deduction would apply next year? I think that is so, but if they finish more than 12 points clear of the relegation zone, are they getting a points deduction this year or next year?

That’s correct, yes. If they finish above the relegation zone the deduction is this season, if they’re in the bottom three then it’s next.

Edited by FenwayFrank

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

The football season was restarted because of money. Not just money , but Premier League TV contractual money upon which PL clubs have (apparently )  become dependent . 

Leagues 1 and 2 were NOT restarted because of money . In this case they couldn’t afford to open the doors without fans . So a lack of money forced them to not to restart . 

How a pyramid can adopt such diverse outcomes yet at the same time attempt some form of unity sums up football.

I thought the issue would be championship to Prem , but in fact it’s Champ to League 1 which is the issue and even more bizarre because it is the same Jurisdiction ie the EFL. 

I’m fed up with thinking about it in all honesty but it does grind my gears when I hear that football restarted because of the integrity of the game , keeping clubs afloat , and the overall morale of the country ! It started (in two leagues) because of money END OF .  

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Canary73 said:

Bear in mind that Wycombe & Northampton both got into the play-offs using the PPG proposal and both earned promotion.

Did'nt Wycombe finish 3rd?

3 Points behind the Automatic spot, with a game in hand?

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It's wrong, but it is difficult to see there was any other way of doing it.

So what you're really saying is that it was right then