Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

On this day last year we signed Sam Byram..

So underated, and an absoloute steal given what we got him for.

Hopefully recovers well, feel we sure will need him should Aarons go.. But I feel Byram will be great as he always tends to he.

Clearly a really good player but he needs a run of fitness, we have seen it before where a player has a long term injury and then never really makes it back properly, only every playing half of a season at best.

I really hope he does get fit and stay that way because he is a steal if he manages it. 

I guess the reality is whilst he was a great price for the quality of player its partially because we will never be able to rely on him playing a full season - so we will always need a more than capable alternative at both fullback positions.

29 minutes ago, Jack Barak said:

Clearly a really good player but he needs a run of fitness, we have seen it before where a player has a long term injury and then never really makes it back properly, only every playing half of a season at best.

I really hope he does get fit and stay that way because he is a steal if he manages it. 

Have a feeling him coming back to fitness is vital for next season

Byram is not and has never been a fantastic or world class player- But he's solid. Hes one of those players that never tends to have a bad game, always sticks his head down gets on and does a good job, and even is he has a bad game he still gets a 6/10

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I wouldn't call him underrated at all. Everyone seems to agree that he's good? Agreed that the price we paid for him was a steal whilst comparing it only to his ability / effectiveness, but when combined with his injury record (both prior and since the transfer), it should be considered as a 'good price', as opposed to a steal (as suggested above)

If he stays injury free - or near as damn it - and we don't sell Aarons and / or Lewis, it will be very interesting to see who plays next season with Aarons, Byram, Lewis and McCallum as full back options. I assume that it is our intention to sell at least one of Aarons or Lewis.

Edited by All the Germans

Good player, good attitude. I think he is more than capable of holding down a place left or right fullback. As mentioned his injury record isn't good so we would probably need equivalent replacements for Aarons and Lewis should they leave and Heisse as the other back up.

A solid, intelligent, skilful & reliable player when fit, and there-in lies the rub. 17 appearances this season according to Wikipedia, 33 altogether in the previous 3 seasons. Should have had a couple of goals this year. If he could be available for 30+ games next year, it would greatly help our cause, but I believe it more likely I might get a run out in the corner myself; dust off the boots!

I expect Jamal & McCallum to push each other for LB/LWB. I think Aarons is off so expect a good RB to arrive to push Byram with Jordan Thomas to get some exposure too if he doesn't go out on loan.

IF he could stay fit I think he's the best defender at the club and I'd play him at full back over both Aarons and Lewis.

I'd actually like to see him as full back with Aarons playing in midfield ahead of him (we really couldve done with that solidity on the wings this year).

I had high hopes for Lewis but he's been one of my biggest disappointments this year, clearly talented but I dont think he is physically or mentally strong enough to step up beyond being a decent championship player.