Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

The Brexit Thread (reprise)

Well it looks like Sturgeon is very happy Johnson has turned up on her doorstep. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

Well it looks like Sturgeon is very happy Johnson has turned up on her doorstep. 

It's a terrific opportunity for her. I would be inviting him every week. Ratings could only soar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

Who needs the Russians when you've got Boris on your side? 🤔😂

Apples

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Looks like Boris has been catching crabs. Doubt it's the first or last time.

image.png.bba388de4987823924d615470c50c908.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

With Boris Johnson in Scotland, I wonder how many posters might vote for Scottish independence on here if they lived there and had a vote? I'm assuming every Brexit voter would because 'being your country' and making your own decisions would be the most important factor. And I'm guessing for remainers, they would also want to vote for independence? To not to have to be any of this government / Johnson regime and a possible chance ahead to be part of a greater EU bloc?

I would be voting for Scottish independence anyway if I had the choice. But perhaps I might be in a minority? Perhaps it would be a short term poor decision?

I have the sense Scotland will leave the union in 2022 (after a 2021 vote). Who would blame them? 

No I wouldn't blame them to be honest. They have been treated appallingly during the whole of the brexit process with none of their wishes being taken into account. The tiny fishing industry has been given far more say than our Scottish friends.

The brexiters like to think their wish for independence is the same as the Scots. I think that is a false stance. We always had a bigger say in how the EU was run than they would like to admit.

Would I vote for independence if I was Scottish. Yes sadly. I would love the union to stay together but the last four years and this government would make me want to have nothing to do with England.

• Like 1

Another day, another failure.

So what is different about this one ?

Well, the UK appear to have dropped the denial and attempted count claim that it is a case ' of six of one and half a dozen of the other".  Barniers words (in regard to the UK) of

"By its current refusal to commit to open and fair competition"

suggests not only where the problem lies, but what the intent from the UK has been all along - in stark contrast to it being about sending all those naughty foreigners home.

Taking questions from journalists after his statement, the EU's chief negotiator said progress had to be made: "You don't do that with ultimatums or threat, I've never seen negotiations being carried forward in that sort of way. I don't think we've got time for these games."

That has been the position been from the UK from the start. Sign the Withdrawal Agreement that you have no intention (or ability) to stick to. Make all manner of far-fetched 'promises' to the UK electorate - that, you likewise know, you are unable to deliver on.

Forty new trade deals, a great trade deal with the US and so many other countries leaving the EU, Tariff free trade, access to the Single Market and frictionless trade with no customs checks, In fact as late as last autumn we were told there would be no border down the Irish Sea

Talk of hold ups at the ports, UK citizens requiring EU driving licence and their own health cover were dismissed as fear mongering - as was the talk of brexit curtailing UK citizens rights to live, and work in the EU

yet the tide of reality laps ever closer

Union Jack flag in a sandcastle being washed away by the sea ...

oh dear 😪

"The public will lose enthusiasm for a trade deal with the US if Donald Trump imposes further tariffs on British industry, Liz Truss has warned. The International Trade Secretary said she was “outraged” by the threat of price hikes on products such as gin."

The public will lose enthusiasm for a trade deal with the US if Donald Trump imposes further tariffs on British industry, Liz Truss has warned.The row has cast a shadow over talks around a post-Brexit UK-US trade deal.

Ms Truss warned that the spat could harm public support for any such agreement. She added: “I think the British public would lose their support for negotiations continuing where there to be additional tariffs levied”. *

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gin-us-trade-deal-tariffs-brexit-trump-alcohol-a9634866.html

Wasn't the idea, as was sold to the gormless, that once free of those naughty EU johnnies the UK would sail the seven seas striking deals that would make the plundering of the Spanish Main seem like chickenfeed ?

"What says you captain, that once adrift from the fleet we will be picked off by every pirate ship afloat ? ''

* sounds like preparing the ground for future failure

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Herman said:

No I wouldn't blame them to be honest. They have been treated appallingly during the whole of the brexit process with none of their wishes being taken into account. The tiny fishing industry has been given far more say than our Scottish friends.

The brexiters like to think their wish for independence is the same as the Scots. I think that is a false stance. We always had a bigger say in how the EU was run than they would like to admit.

Would I vote for independence if I was Scottish. Yes sadly. I would love the union to stay together but the last four years and this government would make me want to have nothing to do with England.

Our household feels the same. A European hope would be a big pull. And we would all want to keep the union. What the hell is the point of being separate from Scotland?

19 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Chinese technology is not streets ahead of UK/European technology as you claim. China has stolen lots of western technologies, copied western technologies and have factories full of western machine tooling. But they are only good for assembly work using cheep unskilled labour. Research how much they have stolen from the US. 

I did not say Chinese technology in general is streets ahead, I specifically said mobile comms technology which is an area in which the Chinese have been investing heavily in research and development for many years and in which they are streets ahead of the US and European manufacturers - something which you would be aware of if you knew anything about the industry. Perhaps you should do some research amongst the technical literature instead of simply spouting tripe from Trump's twitter feed.

Perhaps for starters you could address the question of why the UK was basing its new 5G network so heavily on Huawei kit for both cost and performance reasons if the US has better kit.

You could also ask yourself why, if the US has superior technology (instead of the reality of being an estimated 3 - 5 years behind) it has been necessary for Trump to manufacture a spurious security threat and then attempt to bully countries all round the world in order to stop them buying what you believe is inferior technology slapped together by cheap unskilled labour 🤣

Edited by Creative Midfielder

🤬 warning - contains very strong language 🤬

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I did not say Chinese technology in general is streets ahead, I specifically said mobile comms technology which is an area in which the Chinese have been investing heavily in research and development for many years and in which they are streets ahead of the US and European manufacturers - something which you would be aware of if you knew anything about the industry. Perhaps you should do some research amongst the technical literature instead of simply spouting tripe from Trump's twitter feed.

Perhaps for starters you could address the question of why the UK was basing its new 5G network so heavily on Huawei kit for both cost and performance reasons if the US has better kit.

You could also ask yourself why, if the US has superior technology (instead of the reality of being an estimated 3 - 5 years behind) it has been necessary for Trump to manufacture a spurious security threat and then attempt to bully countries all round the world in order to stop them buying what you believe is inferior technology slapped together by cheap unskilled labour 🤣

I don’t get some people’s alliance with the US, they have bullied the UK since the war! We’ve been pushed into some very poor political choices because of our so called great relationship with them!

I’ve had the pleasure of working with Chinese companies for nearly 12 years and it’s noticeable how much they have moved forward in technology and standards, they now have their own benchmark standards which we have to comply with to sell into their market. Whatever you think of them they certainly are focused and moving forwards where the USA is very much stationary in certain areas!

I remember reading this article and it sounded so depressingly familiar. We've lead in a few technologies but for some bizarre political reasons we end up either stopping it, selling it or give it away. I think we are always thinking short term whereas countries like Japan, Korea and China think long term.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/world-of-tech/how-the-uk-lost-the-broadband-race-in-1990-1224784

• Like 2

One of the problems is having the focus solely on the bottom line - for that year.

This ensures that directors are motivated by the need to deliver higher dividends... bigger bonuses for them

So companies like Royal Mail, and the utilities set about flogging off as much as possible in the way of assets, cutting costs and pay. This can be seen in the US where the infrastructure is falling apart - and in the UK where service becomes worse ie train 'service'

That might be acceptable where the customer has a choice, but for much, as with the care system, that just leads to money being drained away. Former council houses that have been sold off and are now rented back by the council at more than twice the previous rent.

Medical staff numbers are cut to the bone, and overtime is restricted so the same staff are hired as agency staff at absurd cost

The economics of the madhouse, where the country's wealth is stripped, and long term planning is seen as blocking a few from lining their pockets

22 hours ago, Herman said:

The only thing sad about your voting for independence if you were Scottish is your total ignorance on yet another topic you don't understand.

Scotland isn't even close to fulfilling EU criteria for membership and how on earth is opting to join the EU voting for independence, you insufferable tool? 😀

Braveheart, the film, is fictional, Herminge....  FREEDOM!! 🤣

A field inland from the White Cliffs of Dover, a totem of English identity, is one of four sites the U.K. has earmarked for conversion into lorry parks for customs checks after Brexit, according to a person familiar with the plans.

The site next to the White Cliffs Business Park, less than a 10-minute drive from the coast, will have capacity for 1,200 trucks,

There'll be truck smog over the White Cliffs of Dover....................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Burger van industry....It's an ill wind as the expression goes 😐

Burger van industry ... there's got to be a little metaphor for Brexit Britain somewhere there.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Herman said:

Manston is 10 minutes away from Broadstairs.😲😀

Manston is already done. The company I used to work for in Kent did it (I wasn´t involved) back in *2019

Has something happened?

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
* edited from 2017

9 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Manston is already done. The company I used to work for in Kent did it (I wasn´t involved) back in 2017

Has something happened?

It's going to be demothballed, if that is a word.

The difference now being that the original use (Op Brock) of Manston was as a holding pen for when the post of Dover was non-operational... strike etc

It, along with others, will be as a holding pen to handle the slowdown of goods moving through Dover. Trade volume will be much the same, only the processing won't be So if you have 300 lorries arriving per hour but the customs can only process 100 per hour it will not take long before an ever increasing holding area is needed.

There would therefore need to be a lull in goods arriving so as to provide a chance to reduce the numbers waiting. For the moment the UK government has now granted a customs free checking system on incoming goods for another 6 months - I wonder how smugglers will react,

So the UK will either need to reduce trade through Dover, or built another port on the south coast

Great idea that Brexit  🤪

Felixstowe, Bill. We can easily expand Felixstowe. Or immingham. Or London. 

Don't have any ferries that can carry the lorries, but we do have the ports....