Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

The Brexit Thread (reprise)

1 hour ago, Herman said:

(And does anyone think that Mogg has held one in is life?

He is a bit Miele-mouthed 😅

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Only when naked in the privacy of his own bedroom.

Him and nanny. A nice image for us to ponder for the long weekend.🤢😀

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Herman said:

I've got a Miele vacuum cleaner with EU regs. On full power it can literally suck the carpets and rugs off the floor. I'm not sure why they think a more powerful one is necessary. (And does anyone think that Mogg has held one in is life?)

Nothing sucks like an Electrolux. 

I never could understand why that advert was banned

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Nothing sucks like an Electrolux. 

I never could understand why that advert was banned

"I suck better than an Electrolux." Nadine Dorries.

And that is how it got banned.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Screenshot_20220603-075928_Facebook.thumb.jpg.8d277e56ee1f348aeb06465cbe4700c0.jpg

More seriously do any of the major brands make a cleaner specifically for the UK market above 900W. Quick glance says NO. 890W standard. Obviously manufacturers standardize on their largest market and everybody else follows.

So we now de-facto obey CE product rules with no input into them. Yes Brexiteers truly suck.

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

More seriously do any of the major brands make a cleaner specifically for the UK market above 900W. Quick glance says NO. 890W standard. Obviously manufacturers standardize on their largest market and everybody else follows.

So we now de-facto obey CE product rules with no input into them. Yes Brexiteers truly suck.

Yes but the important thing is that we chose to do that, we weren't forced to do it by the bully boys in Brussels.  So we win. 😀

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

https://www.courthousenews.com/dyson-cant-fight-eus-energy-label-law/

Dyson's position was that cyclone vacuums don't experience a loss in efficiency as the receptable fills, unlike bagged vacuums. This meant that bagged vacuums being tested with brand new bags gave them an unrealistically flattering assessment of their efficiency. 

Dyson's argument against the EU standards, that pushed the same tests for bagged and bagless vacuums was legitimate, and his accusation that the legislation was formulated with the interests of the likes of Miele in mind was something not provable, but credible given the lack of transparency to the process of formulating EU tests and standards. 

And from his perspective, the dismissal of Dyson's considerations for his company meant there was no advantage to him of the UK being in the EU weighed against the benefits to him of being out, hence his position. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 hour ago, Herman said:

"I suck better than an Electrolux." Nadine Dorries.

And that is how it got banned.

Dorries just sucks, full stop!

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Dyson's position was that cyclone vacuums don't experience a loss in efficiency as the receptable fills, unlike bagged vacuums. This meant that bagged vacuums being tested with brand new bags gave them an unrealistically flattering assessment of their efficiency. 

Dyson's argument against the EU standards, that pushed the same tests for bagged and bagless vacuums was legitimate, and his accusation that the legislation was formulated with the interests of the likes of Miele in mind was something not provable, but credible given the lack of transparency to the process of formulating EU tests and standards. 

And from his perspective, the dismissal of Dyson's considerations for his company meant there was no advantage to him of the UK being in the EU weighed against the benefits to him of being out, hence his position. 

What is this to do directly with the 900W limit. I also note today most vacuums are bagless.

Dyson might of felt hard done by with his efficiency arguments (indeed lower wattage should ultimately help him if the bagless is more efficient) but now the UK has no say (it might lobby) in whatever regulations they come up with in future. As a much smaller market we'll then get whatever manufacturing efficiencies of scale dictate.

The proof of this argument is of course - Does Dyson make a commercial cleaner specially for the UK (and not just a change of code/colour/plug) that doesn't intrinsically comply with CE regs. i.e. 1000W plus. I suggest not. You can go and search for a 1000W one from Dyson. QED to quote yourself. Actions not words. Yes we now have to label UKCP as manufacturers - just added nonsense costs for zero benefit (and yes I know because I manufacture).

Edited by Yellow Fever
Didn't Dyson's arguements get somewhat resolved a few years back anyway quoting air-watts or whatever. He's really not a good example for 'benefits' from Brexit.

6 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

One thing I will take issue with in your argument is the idea of the EU lacking transparency. I used to look at national and EU policy on a number of issues for my work. What struck me is that though the Commission was not transparent, it was a lot easier to get meaningful information from EU bodies than the UK government which was like a black hole of information (as opposed to France which was a black hole of information locked inside a safe). This, of course, might be sector specific, but so far I don't really see it as a legitimate criticism simply because national governments are no better and are often a lot worse.

• Like 2

Just musing about the latest industrial strife (rail etc) and the Brexit head-bangers undermining the NI protocol.

Really both are dinosaurs, literally in the case of many Brexiteers or metaphorically as in the unions, both straight out of the 1970s trying to blame others or live in their imagined alternative reality. Fossilized views. Really two sides of the same very tarnished coin and fully deserving of each other. Sick man of Europe again just the way they apparently liked it as before.

I guess it will take somebody like Thatcher (or Starmer) to come along and bang heads together plus come up with an idea like the SM to get our moribund economy moving again.

Edited by Yellow Fever