Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

The Brexit Thread (reprise)

Sorry. I just can't bear to have to deal with the idiotic/lunacy of the Swindon thread.

This in the Observer is pretty close the mark. I would quibble only with a few points 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/27/case-for-brexit-built-on-lies-five-years-later-deceit-is-routine-in-our-politics

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Sorry. I just can't bear to have to deal with the idiotic/lunacy of the Swindon thread.

This in the Observer is pretty close the mark. I would quibble only with a few points 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/27/case-for-brexit-built-on-lies-five-years-later-deceit-is-routine-in-our-politics

Absolutely, would be good to get back to a Brexit thread that had some semblence of rational debate, instead of the rapid fire stupidity that has become the staple on the other thread.

Thanks for the link, Will Hutton isn't a columnist that I read consistently but I'd say that he's pretty much on the money with that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Absolutely, would be good to get back to a Brexit thread that had some semblence of rational debate, instead of the rapid fire stupidity that has become the staple on the other thread.

Thanks for the link, Will Hutton isn't a columnist that I read consistently but I'd say that he's pretty much on the money with that one.

Perhaps we should all decamp permanently to this thread and leave the "Positive" version to Swindon alone? Maybe, in a few months time he might actually find something postive to post on it (hahahaha! As if!).

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Perhaps we should all decamp permanently to this thread and leave the "Positive" version to Swindon alone? Maybe, in a few months time he might actually find something postive to post on it (hahahaha! As if!).

Think that would be an excellent idea and one I intend to follow from now on.

As far as Swindo coming up with something positive to put on the positive thread, he's had 6 months and failed miserably (to our great surprise 😂) or arguably 18 months and failed miserably depending on when you start the clock ticking.

Either way I certainly shan't be holding my breath......

Just now, Creative Midfielder said:

Think that would be an excellent idea and one I intend to follow from now on.

As far as Swindo coming up with something positive to put on the positive thread, he's had 6 months and failed miserably (to our great surprise 😂) or arguably 18 months and failed miserably depending on when you start the clock ticking.

Either way I certainly shan't be holding my breath......

I'm in too!

My dad is really angry about Cummings. A nasty piece of work he called him. I regretfully informed him that he always has been a nasty piece of work. 😀

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

My dad is really angry about Cummings. A nasty piece of work he called him. I regretfully informed him that he always has been a nasty piece of work. 😀

I agree with your dad! Not only did he manipulate his position the same a Johnson, he has made an absolute fortune from the British tax payer, never apologised for blatantly breaking Covid rules putting people lives at risk without any care, got a big payoff then thrown this useless government under the bus, trying to distance the fact he was a massive part of all this!

The lot of them should be made accountable for Brexit and Covid, there should be an independent review and if it’s found that any money has been made by these clowns off the back of Covid then they should be lynched!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

I would agree in many ways - but amongst the crud and attitude issues there are some good sensible ideas long ovedue.

We need more 'numerically literate' civil servants and dare I say MPs and especially (prime) ministers. In the modern world it's facts, often scientific statistics, that should drive and inform policy.  Obvious example is Covid where the scientific 'truths' were / are apparently beyond the wit of our B.A at best educated ministers. Else we'll be eaten alive by the hard nosed industrial likes of China.

Want a job in the civil service. B.Sc minimum qualification except in exceptional circumstances. That would be a start on getting UK PLC 'match fit'.

And for those that quibble - Victorian 'Great Britain' was founded and built on scientific and industrial know how.

Nothing against 'arty' subjects but we have these in surplus to requirements.

Edited by Yellow Fever

I agree there's a very clever man in there somewhere, with some bright ideas, but they are clouded and tainted by the people and the ways he has used to get his ideas out into the mainstream.

4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Absolutely, although TBF we do still have a handful, perhaps even a few more than that, of honest decent politicians but our problem is that not a single one of them is a member of the Government.

7 hours ago, Well b back said:

This is getting so pathetic, now it’s pigeon racers that wish they had voted remain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-57568269

It looks like the pigeons have had enough and left the country.

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2021-06-27/the-worst-day-in-pigeon-racing-history-thousands-of-north-east-birds-vanish-during-race

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Yep, I think its fair to say that Macron, probably even more so than Merkel, has always been very upfront about his intention to attract a good chunk of the financial business that has already and is continuing to move out of London over to Paris and no real surprise that he has been successful.

Very pleased for Sunderland and Nissan. Inevitable given the decision to stay.

The only question given their huge negotiating position/strength vs the government (support us or else) was just how much subsidy/grant/or roundabout 'help' they extracted to stay and make batteries. Reminds me of my old pork barrel politics in the USA.

Can we all have some ?

12 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Very pleased for Sunderland and Nissan. Inevitable given the decision to stay.

The only question given their huge negotiating position/strength vs the government (support us or else) was just how much subsidy/grant/or roundabout 'help' they extracted to stay and make batteries. Reminds me of my old pork barrel politics in the USA.

Can we all have some ?

Of course nobody else would dream of doing this.😂

France, Germany, oh no, wouldn't dream of it.😉

48 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Of course nobody else would dream of doing this.😂

France, Germany, oh no, wouldn't dream of it.😉

Of course all countries offer incentives. The weaker your position is the more you have to offer.

The UK is already well behind the curve in 'Gigafactories' as compared to the EU but without one we won't have a car industry. Simply it is a must have for our government almost at any cost.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Herman said:

Even as a bit of a Maiden fan, you can go **** yourself Bruce.

They really don't get it, do they?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BigFish said:

They really don't get it, do they?

No sadly. British exceptionalism is a very powerful affliction. 

Just now, Herman said:

No sadly. British exceptionalism is a very powerful affliction. 

I read a long piece on the rise of authoritarian governments in Hungary and Poland that helped me understand the Brexit mindset a bit better. The argument of the article was that both countries suffered from inferiority complexes so that while EU membership had definitly benefited them and no one suggested leaving they found it pyscholgically dificult to cope with not doing quite as well as other globalised nations.

For me this matched the Brexit mindset, although we were better off in, they resented the fact that perhaps they weren't doing as well as others. This resulted in a nostalgic retreat into the imagined world of the British Empire, when to be British alone made you special, privileged and of note.

This is why the strongest leave votes were recorded in what looks like a list of England's ****test towns, among demograhics that were older and with less education. The irony is that those most keen on British exceptionalism tend to be the least exceptional, while those that really exemplify what in best about Britian tend to be Remain voters comfortable with the countries place in the world.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BigFish said:

The irony is that those most keen on British exceptionalism tend to be the least exceptional, while those that really exemplify what in best about Britian tend to be Remain voters comfortable with the countries place in the world.

So very true!

I think you could also say its a case of the grass is greener....

Edited by Yellow Fever

On 31/03/2021 at 08:13, Bill said:

how strange (or not) the Jools/Moy troll has gone awol after my pointing out both names using that same 'obscure; word

meanwhile more brexit trouble

''''Thousands of British citizens in France have been left without a valid driving licence, or face losing theirs within months, because of bureaucratic overload and the failure of the two countries’ governments to sign a post-Brexit reciprocal agreement.''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/30/britons-in-france-could-lose-driving-licences-due-to-post-brexit-impasse

Even more strange that you've gone AWOL. 

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

I read a long piece on the rise of authoritarian governments in Hungary and Poland that helped me understand the Brexit mindset a bit better. The argument of the article was that both countries suffered from inferiority complexes so that while EU membership had definitly benefited them and no one suggested leaving they found it pyscholgically dificult to cope with not doing quite as well as other globalised nations.

For me this matched the Brexit mindset, although we were better off in, they resented the fact that perhaps they weren't doing as well as others. This resulted in a nostalgic retreat into the imagined world of the British Empire, when to be British alone made you special, privileged and of note.

This is why the strongest leave votes were recorded in what looks like a list of England's ****test towns, among demograhics that were older and with less education. The irony is that those most keen on British exceptionalism tend to be the least exceptional, while those that really exemplify what in best about Britian tend to be Remain voters comfortable with the countries place in the world.

TL;DNR. Students have been brainwashed by their universities. 

9 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

TL;DNR. Students have been brainwashed by their universities. 

Brainwashed, because they disagree with you @Rock The Boat? I have greater faith, they seem an exemplary generation-keen on collective action to improve the world and people's place within it.

Not only that they are the future, when the pale, male and stale thinking of the Brexiteers fades into the past they will still be here to rebuild a better future.

As they would say. OK Boomer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Brainwashed, because they disagree with you @Rock The Boat? I have greater faith, they seem an exemplary generation-keen on collective action to improve the world and people's place within it.

Not only that they are the future, when the pale, male and stale thinking of the Brexiteers fades into the past they will still be here to rebuild a better future.

As they would say. OK Boomer.

All these anti University rants always come across to me as people with a very large chip on their shoulder.

The whole point of a University education beyond the pure academic is actually to broaden ones perspectives and experiences.

• Like 3