Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

The Brexit Thread (reprise)

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I knew some lived in the past but this is really funny. Was it a new Spitting Image trailer sketch ?   

Yep, I think that's the nub of the problem, not only do they live in the past but its a very distant past or in many cases an imaginary past.

• Haha 1

As was mentioned a few months ago the threat of hiding a no deal brexit amongst the chaos of Covid does look to be a viable option according to Tim Shipman.Blame Covid. Blame the EU. Anyway here is an interesting thread from David Gauke with the Times link.

"The sad reality is that the EU always had better hand in the negotiations and they always knew it. UK was always going to face a trade-off between regulatory autonomy & market access. Likely outcome is that we’re going to pay a very high price in terms of losing market access."

I see that the Last Night of the Proms is making the gammon salty again. 🤣

5 hours ago, Herman said:

I see that the Last Night of the Proms is making the gammon salty again. 🤣

Not sure why you continue to use racist and sexist terms such as gammon?

46 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Not sure why you continue to use racist and sexist terms such as gammon?

If it needles you, that is probably reason enough for @Herman 😀

For me there is no reason to enter a culture war with those who voted to leave the EU and for Johnson's calamitous government. That is going badly enough to prove the point and the true believers are not going to be persuaded.

Just a question of wait and see. Plenty of time to pick up the peices in 2021.

• Thanks 1

Upsetting Rocky is the only joy I get nowadays. I need to reevaluate my life in other words. 😀

45 minutes ago, BigFish said:

If it needles you, that is probably reason enough for @Herman

You have to be careful, despite the posturing, the Male on-line is a very sensitive creature. 🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BigFish said:

For me there is no reason to enter a culture war with those who voted to leave the EU and for Johnson's calamitous government. That is going badly enough to prove the point and the true believers are not going to be persuaded.

That's certainly true although I'm not sure that there is any need to wait until 2021to 'pick up the pieces' - this a supremely incompetent government already leaving lorry loads of carnage in its wake and with another screaming u-turn apparently about to arrive - that's what, about 10 days since the last one? 😂

As Johnson himself would put it, if he broke the habit of a lifetime and told the truth for once, we have a government of world beating incompetence 🤣

7 hours ago, Herman said:

Upsetting Rocky is the only joy I get nowadays. I need to reevaluate my life in other words. 😀

The irony is that your friends in BLM would have you down as a so-called gammon.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, BigFish said:

If it needles you, that is probably reason enough for @Herman 😀

What is the reasoning behind the constant culture wars started by the right wing press and government ? Is it to keep their base angry about non events. Simply a distraction from their ineptitude. To stop focus and muddy the water.

Is it this simple and shallow or is there a deeper thought behind it? 

Another example of the incompetence of this government. 10 million pounds for this World Beater!

5024A047-B6FD-436A-BD63-EE445ED9D043.jpeg

3 hours ago, Herman said:

What is the reasoning behind the constant culture wars started by the right wing press and government ? Is it to keep their base angry about non events. Simply a distraction from their ineptitude. To stop focus and muddy the water.

Hard to tell, and I'm not sure it matters really because what is crystal clear is that simple and shallow is quite sufficient for many muppets to swallow the myths and lies of Johnson, Gove, Farage etc hook, line and sinker.

24 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Hard to tell, and I'm not sure it matters really because what is crystal clear is that simple and shallow is quite sufficient for many muppets to swallow the myths and lies of Johnson, Gove, Farage etc hook, line and sinker.

Definitely true sadly. Maybe I'm being simply deluded but sometimes I hope there is a meaning to what they are doing other than just pandering to the basest level of society. 

1 hour ago, dj11 said:

Another example of the incompetence of this government. 10 million pounds for this World Beater!

5024A047-B6FD-436A-BD63-EE445ED9D043.jpeg

I don't think I could eat that many burgers in one sitting but I'd give it a good try. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Definitely true sadly. Maybe I'm being simply deluded but sometimes I hope there is a meaning to what they are doing other than just pandering to the basest level of society. 

Wow, four years on from the referendum and still the daily hate speech continues. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

45 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Wow, four years on from the referendum and still the daily hate speech continues. 

Hate speech???? 😂

Or perhaps you were refering back to Johnson, Gove & Farage - it is certainly true to say that four years on they are still peddling their myths and lies on a daily basis........

Quite a self own there RTB..... you know, we were just speculating why the right wing press constantly stirs up hate and - bam - here’s the answer. 

20 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

That's certainly true although I'm not sure that there is any need to wait until 2021to 'pick up the pieces' - this a supremely incompetent government already leaving lorry loads of carnage in its wake and with another screaming u-turn apparently about to arrive - that's what, about 10 days since the last one? 😂

As Johnson himself would put it, if he broke the habit of a lifetime and told the truth for once, we have a government of world beating incompetence 🤣

On the 1st Jan 2021 the final Brexiteer excuses will fall away, although I fully expect a lot of bleating about how the nasty EU have used their sovereignity to stich us up. Probably becauseb they are jealous, scared etc and definitly not because the UK negotaitors failed and the Brexiteers have been insulting them for 20 years.

10 hours ago, Herman said:

They really are that simple and shallow. Trying to drag Starmer into it, although he is too clever for them. Tactics are not only to energise their base, but also to get the opposition to defend positions centrist voters find repellent. If Starmer doesn't play ball they will be left with only the core vote and Starmer can pick up the floating one (or the LibDems, SMP etc).

We have four more years of this nonsence, just don't indulge them.

• Like 2

A couple of thoughts I've had recently are: re Brexit and the last election - Just because they won doesn't make them right.

And re this Government, I am inclined to paraphrase Johnson's dodgy hero: "We can rely on this Government to do the right thing....once it has exhausted all the other possibilities." 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

A couple of thoughts I've had recently are: re Brexit and the last election - Just because they won doesn't make them right.

And re this Government, I am inclined to paraphrase Johnson's dodgy hero: "We can rely on this Government to do the right thing....once it has exhausted all the other possibilities." 

Very true but unfortunately the dithering and delay incurred whilst exploring all the wrong options can of itself be diastrous for the country as this virus has so cruelly demonstrated and TBH I'm not even sure that this totally incompetent crew would always choose the right thing if it weren't for Nicola Sturgeon spelling it out for them every time.

• Like 2

I think the horrors of a possible brexit will be the least of voters worries come Jan 1st.

The huge cull in retail is well under way. The Mrs Slocombes who have been at M&S, John Lewis, Boots etc will find it a whole different world outside their 'time warp; shops - and they will not be up to (or wanted at) 100 mile an hour work patterns at Aldi, Lidl etc.

Many will come to realise that at their mid 50's they will most likely not have another job before they retire, Redundancy pay will temporarily cushion them, but that will not last forever Skilled work is being done more and more by robots, what is left is basically minimal wage manual work.

Likewise with bank staff. If a few banks are laying off staff then that means a huge surplus if any are needed elsewhere

The government are trying to hide this by talking about employment numbers 'unspiking' - which is another way of saying unemployment is rising. How many people can be employed delivering food, on zero hours contracts ?

Personal bankruptcies will inevitably follow, as we have an economy based on consumer debt. As will those 'ex pats' who find their health care costs now being outside the EU are too heavy. Not much in the way of state aid for them if they owned a property iin Europe before returning to the UK.

Dark days ahead, if only that we have the most incompetent PM in our history

ps there is a bright light, if you have a few million then UK assets will be cheap to pick up. eh Mr Rees-Mogg ?

41 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think the horrors of a possible brexit will be the least of voters worries come Jan 1st.

The huge cull in retail is well under way. The Mrs Slocombes who have been at M&S, John Lewis, Boots etc will find it a whole different world outside their 'time warp; shops - and they will not be up to (or wanted at) 100 mile an hour work patterns at Aldi, Lidl etc.

Many will come to realise that at their mid 50's they will most likely not have another job before they retire, Redundancy pay will temporarily cushion them, but that will not last forever Skilled work is being done more and more by robots, what is left is basically minimal wage manual work.

Likewise with bank staff. If a few banks are laying off staff then that means a huge surplus if any are needed elsewhere

The government are trying to hide this by talking about employment numbers 'unspiking' - which is another way of saying unemployment is rising. How many people can be employed delivering food, on zero hours contracts ?

Personal bankruptcies will inevitably follow, as we have an economy based on consumer debt. As will those 'ex pats' who find their health care costs now being outside the EU are too heavy. Not much in the way of state aid for them if they owned a property iin Europe before returning to the UK.

Dark days ahead, if only that we have the most incompetent PM in our history

ps there is a bright light, if you have a few million then UK assets will be cheap to pick up. eh Mr Rees-Mogg ?

I think this is where the true irony of Covid will be, as Chinese individuals and Companies buy up British Companies and assets at will.

• Like 2

The government are taking zero responsibilty for the exams fiasco, changing their stories and forcing out civil servants. Let's hope it doesn't end well for them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill said:

I've read that a total of £8.3bn in aggregate short positions has been taken out by hedge funds for a No Deal event, many of which are linked to Johnson (in his leadership campaign), by Vote Leave / combination of both. 

There's an old saying "Follow the money" and it has never been more apt. You could even say that Brexit voters have been tricked (fooled?) by big money even though Brexit may have played into their kinds of values.

Johnson decided at the last moment to throw his hat into the Brexit ring (his famous two letters, one for and one against) for personal gain.

If there is to be a no deal, a cohort of people (already with lots of money) are going to be wildly rich. All this whilst it impoverishes the nation collectively.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, sonyc said:

I've read that a total of £8.3bn in aggregate short positions has been taken out by hedge funds for a No Deal event, many of which are linked to Johnson (in his leadership campaign), by Vote Leave / combination of both. 

There's an old saying "Follow the money" and it has never been more apt. You could even say that Brexit voters have been tricked (fooled?) by big money even though Brexit may have played into their kinds of values.

Johnson decided at the last moment to throw his hat into the Brexit ring (his famous two letters, one for and one against) for personal gain.

If there is to be a no deal, a cohort of people (already with lots of money) are going to be wildly rich. All this whilst it impoverishes the nation collectively.

That has looked likely for a long while ,and now looks even more likely since Merkel and the EU have just called Johnson's bluff and dropped a discussion on Brexit from their meeting on 2nd September. Pretty clear that they view last weeks's discusion as simply time wasting by the UK and that Johnson now only has two options, no deal or the deal that the EU has already offered.

Right since January, Johnson has IMO been aiming for no deal so I would say that it was now a nailed on certainty - if it wasn't for the dozen complete u-turns he's already done since then so I guess another one, even as big as this, wouldn't really be a surprise 😂🤣

• Like 3

The only brexiter that ever told the truth was Patrick Minford. He was mocked because his ideas were so destructive to the UK in general but has turned out to be brexit policy. 

• Like 3

'' Germany has dropped discussions about Brexit negotiations between the UK and EU from a meeting of Brussels envoys next week because there has been no “tangible progress” in talks, according to EU diplomats...........the EU Council, had intended to discuss the trade deal talks during the meeting of ambassadors from the 27 member states but scrapped it because of the apparent stalemate.''

So much for fatboys wish to have it all sorted by the end of July