Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

The Brexit Thread (reprise)

15 hours ago, BigFish said:

EU will be watching the mess Johnson/Cummings made of the A Levels and will learn two things. 1) Johnson/Cummings really are more incompetant than anyone could imagine. 2) When the pressure is on they will fold.

I'm sure they will, in fact I'm sure they've already picked up the trend from some of the previous stupidities (they've got quite a few examples to work with!) which also ultimately led to complete u-turns.

But I agree that this one had all the ingredients:

• a total screw-up despite many prior warnings from educational professionals
  • absolute denial that there was a problem - “Let's be in no doubt about it, the exam results that we've got today are robust, they're good, they're dependable for employers” Boris Johnson.
  • total lack of awareness of the impact such blatant unfairness would have, not just on huge numbers of children, but their families and society in general - especially teachers who the government have as good as called unprofessional and untrustworthy, and the universities which the government have just thrown under the bus along with many thousands of teenagers.
  • proposal of two (or was it three?) alternative solutions, none of which were even remotely feasible, followed by more dithering until the eventual and inevitable total U-turn.
  • finally the entirely predictable pathetic attempt to deflect the blame away from No 10 (where it really lies) and the government generally. This will no doubt continue for a while yet but it hasn't, and won't ever, wash with either the families or the education profession.

Still for those of us fortunate not to be directly impacted by this particular scandaI there were a few lighter moments. I particularly liked Gavin Williamson's quote “The danger is that pupils will be over-promoted into jobs that are beyond their competence" - unfortunately you only have to look around the Cabinet table to realise that particular horse bolted a long while ago 😂😂

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I'm sure they will, in fact I'm sure they've already picked up the trend from some of the previous stupidities (they've got quite a few examples to work with!) which also ultimately led to complete u-turns.

But I agree that this one had all the ingredients:

• a total screw-up despite many prior warnings from educational professionals
  • absolute denial that there was a problem - “Let's be in no doubt about it, the exam results that we've got today are robust, they're good, they're dependable for employers” Boris Johnson.
  • total lack of awareness of the impact such blatant unfairness would have, not just on huge numbers of children, but their families and society in general - especially teachers who the government have as good as called unprofessional and untrustworthy, and the universities which the government have just thrown under the bus along with many thousands of teenagers.
  • proposal of two (or was it three?) alternative solutions, none of which were even remotely feasible, followed by more dithering until the eventual and inevitable total U-turn.
  • finally the entirely predictable pathetic attempt to deflect the blame away from No 10 (where it really lies) and the government generally. This will no doubt continue for a while yet but it hasn't, and won't ever, wash with either the families or the education profession.

Still for those of us fortunate not to be directly impacted by this particular scandaI there were a few lighter moments. I particularly liked Gavin Williamson's quote “The danger is that pupils will be over-promoted into jobs that are beyond their competence" - unfortunately you only have to look around the Cabinet table to realise that particular horse bolted a long while ago 😂😂

Brilliant - Yes this government (a misnomer if there ever was one) is simply beyond farce. It makes me feel physically unwell and queasy thinking about them - and no it doesn't matter what your politics are or where -  they are simply beyond the pale to be called a British government.

I recall not particularly liking some things about Thatcher in the 80's but I always knew she understood her brief and was in control - and more so expected the same from her colleagues. The same was true of Major, Blair, Brown and even Cameron and May! I didn't expect much of the Johnson government at the outset given their 'birth' but I could never have dreamed, not in my worst nightmares, that they would fall so far short of even my lowest expectations for integrity, morals and competence and all within the first year!

Where is is the toe-rag Johnson - too scared to come and face the music? Somebody flush him out - it is after all the grouse season. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

15 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I could never have dreamed, not in my worst nightmares, that they would fall so far short of even my lowest expectations for integrity, morals and competence and all within the first year!

really ?

a thoroughly dishonest incompetent, turns out to be the same when PM

the man is a fraud and the real concern is that it has taken so many deaths and gross fck ups for people to begin to question his competence

the fault lies four square with the cretins who elected him, who chose to ignore his long record of lying and failing

it would similarly be the fault of school governors who appointed Gary Glitter as head master of their local Primary school - as there would be no reason for them not knowing what he was/still is

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill said:

really ?

a thoroughly dishonest incompetent, turns out to be the same when PM

the man is a fraud and the real concern is that it has taken so many deaths and gross fck ups for people to begin to question his competence

the fault lies four square with the cretins who elected him, who chose to ignore his long record of lying and failing

it would similarly be the fault of school governors who appointed Gary Glitter as head master of their local Primary school - as there would be no reason for them not knowing what he was/still is

Whilst I can't disagree with anything you've said there, I also know where @Yellow Fever is coming from. I also had extremely low expectations of this government but as things have turned out I would be delighted if they had met those very low expectations because the reality has been so much worse.

But you're right that all the warning signs were there - a man who voted both for and against TM's Withdrawal Bill at different times without the slighest consideration of the national interest but purely on the basis of expediency and advancing his own political career.

Even worse was his willingness to sell his own country down the river by agreeing an appalling deal, significantly worse than Theresa May's deal which Parliamant (and Johnson himself) had rejected in order to spin it as a triumph to the dim witted British public as proof that he could 'get Brexit done'.

Yes, the voters fell for it hook, line and sinker and are responsibile for the consequences of their stupidity but you are being very generous is describing him as a fraud - I think we're all aware of more appropriate descriptions for such conduct although whether we're still allowed to use them with respect to our current hard right elective dictatorship I'm not entirely sure 😧

• Like 2

By fraud, I mean his third rate pantomime act. Every stumble, shirt hanging out, tie misplaced has been carefully arranged even down to contriving to get stuck on that zip wire

How could anyone expect a clumsy and muddled chap to be expected to come up with ready answers when questioned. So his public appearances are focussed around photo opportunities rather than any thought that he might have to explain himself. The latter carrying the threat that he may have forgotten what his stance was on a subject a couple of months backs

And his popularity rests on that, as does that of Farage. Both having little or no self-respect when it comes to bare faced lying, They see it as a means to an end.... whereas both have shown that that very means has in facr determined the end. What you gain by lying to can only retain by lying.... and these lies need to get bigger each time (see Trump)

They say that all political careers end in failure. Johnson has bucked that trend by having a career that started in failure, and has continued since. Sacked for lying sacked for incompetence and wasted hundreds of millions of taxpayers money along the way

On holiday in January when the Iran crisis broke, absent from the COBRA meeting when "Matt Hancock, the health secretary, bounced out of Whitehall after chairing the meeting and breezily told reporters the risk to the UK public was “low”..

When it was found to be rather more of a threat Johnson was on another holiday for another for night and also missing 4 more Cobra meetings,, He was a Chevening sorting out his divorce from his wife, trying to cover over problems with a previous illegitimate child of his and also sorting another someone who was to be another singe mother, of his making. 

Not so much the sorry affairs of the state - but the sorry state of his affairs. A trail of broken promises and lies - which during that absence he was also dealing with accusations f malfeasance in public office with a previous pole dancing floozy.

Still, at least he has been in Downing Street for the past week or so trying to sort out the A'level exam ba lls up ...... hasn't he ?

Shame on thse so stupid as to have voted for such an obvious fraud

• Like 3

Seems like the EU are tightening the screw on Johnson's hapless negotiations. When the Dublin agreement lapses on 31 December they will no longer accept the return of assylum seekers from the UK to other European countries where they first sought asylum.

"Taking back control" going very well it seems.

It should be no surprise that the brexit thickos were not aware of this. The Eurodac system shares information

Much as with pubwatch, where we now have the UK Arms deciding that they won't pay into pubwatch, so do not get told when there is trouble in a nearby pub or who has been banned etc

Likewise in other areas such as shops, who share information on known shoplifters UK Poundland have decided to opt out.

it was inevitable that this stupid head in the sand ignorance would eventually have its repercussions. A delusion that all those who worked in these areas were wrong in their warnings, but habitual liars like Farage were telling the truth.

Sadly, there is so much more for the cretins to find out - at our expense

35 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Seems like the EU are tightening the screw on Johnson's hapless negotiations. When the Dublin agreement lapses on 31 December they will no longer accept the return of assylum seekers from the UK to other European countries where they first sought asylum.

"Taking back control" going very well it seems.

Think it is just under £15Bn/year to stay in the Dublin Agreement - may be some other rebates and benefits as well (£5Bn) 🙂 which overall actually save much more money than it costs. Probably a bargain!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

A bit too deep - cost of staying in EU !

err, I gathered that

my thought was that as Eurodac was part of a huge amount of benefits it could be thought to be rather misleading to attach that figure to it

and it could well be argued that whatever proportion of EU membership payment Eurodac comes out as, it will be dwarfed by the cost to the UK of not being a member

pretty much the same for all other EU membership benefits

35 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's important he takes a break to recharge his batteries 

It is obviously an onerous task being an incompetent twát 

Rest assured,  he will return in the autumn with renewed incompetence and twáttery

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
testing out the swear filter
  • Haha 3

Apparently Frost has finally submitted to the EU the UK's proposed full legal text.

Better late than never, Johnson's surrender can be negotiated from now on

On 18/08/2020 at 16:22, Herman said:

maybe they should add their indignation of this chap at the same time and get two fired in one necessary swoop.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2F5%2F5c%2FMark_Francois_MoD_Portrait.jpg%2F1200px-Mark_Francois_MoD_Portrait.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Ladies and gentlemen,

The need for a Level Playing Field is not going to go away.

Even if the UK continues to insist on a low-quality agreement on goods and services only.

It is a non-negotiable pre-condition to grant access to our market of 450 million citizens, given the United Kingdom's geographic proximity and the intensity of our economic exchanges.

We are asking for nothing more, but nothing less, than what Prime Minister Johnson committed to in our joint Political Declaration last October, together with the 27 EU leaders.

Here is a small reminder of those commitments – which were also endorsed by the current UK Parliament, by the way, and supported by the European Parliament.

In particular, paragraph 77, where we agreed that :

• I quote: Our future agreement must encompass “robust commitments to prevent distortions of trade and unfair competitive advantages”;
  • And, I continue to quote: we should “uphold the common high standards applicable in the Union and the UK at the end of the transition period in these areas: state aid, competition, social and employment standards, environment, climate change, and relevant tax matters”.

Ladies and gentlemen,

That is what modern trade policy is about.

Not just lowering tariffs and removing quotas.

It's about finding agreement – between sovereign parties – on the rules that will govern future trade.

As Commissioner Phil Hogan often says, a modern trade policy must contribute to upholding – or even raising – rights and standards, in the interest of citizens, consumers and sustainable development.

We hear the British government's concerns about maintaining its sovereignty and its regulatory autonomy.

And we respect that.

But no international agreement was ever reached without the parties agreeing to common rules.

And I can predict with absolute certainty: this will also be the case of trade agreements between the UK and other partners in the future, such as the United States, Japan or Australia.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Apart from the question of a Level Playing Field, there are still many other areas where progress is needed. For example:

• Fisheries, where we have made no progress whatsoever on the issues that matter.
  • Governance, where we are still far from agreeing on the essential issue of dispute settlement.
  • Law enforcement, where we still struggle to agree on the necessary guarantees to protect citizens' fundamental rights and personal data.
  • Mobility and social security coordination, where our positions also remain far apart.

Nonetheless, to be fully objective, I should add that, in some of the ten tables that convened this week, we were able to make progress on technical issues.

For example, on energy cooperation, participation in Union programmes, and anti-money laundering, among others.

This will be useful when it comes to consolidating, together, a final text – provided we are able to agree on fundamentals first.

However, too often this week, it felt as if we were going backwards more than forwards.

Given the short time left, what I said in London in July remains true:

Today, at this stage, an agreement between the United Kingdom and the European Union seems unlikely.

I simply do not understand why we are wasting valuable time.

• Like 1

Now Mr Brexiteer you wish to open a pub in the town, but you object accepting set sizes for the drinks you serve.

You even claim that the local licensing authority are wanting to hurt you by requiring the alcohol to be labelled as what it is. Gin, whiskey port etc.

Letting the customers know what alcohol content is also an infringement of your sovereignty you claim, as well as having to abide by age restrictions

Odd how every other licensed premise is happy with these regulations - as they protect each and every one, and so allow a level playing field where each pub is able to compete on equal terms

So the LVA will oppose your application as it considers you haven't the slightest idea about the pub trade whatsoever, and we feel that your duties as village idiot might be incompatible with running a pub

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BigFish said:

image.thumb.png.29b81c9edb1f74c64b69e0e961aa8720.png

Surprised that it's still as high as 29% TBH but the trend looks pretty steady and heading in exactly the right direction.

And presumably Johnson will eventually emerge from hiding which should drop it down a few more points   😀

Negotiations have virtually stalled and some 3 million Guinea pigs are forming a safe distance queue to be dealt with by the Tories as they see fit.

All of this is done to protect the reeking financial off shoring services the City of London corp has provided and which it does not want to be open to public scrutiny. They want to provide safe havens to anyone who wants to bypass the exchequer and park their stale, criminal or tax avoiding money to become the champion of all crooks and psychopath of the world.

We are just surplus to the requirements and the impact it will create on the wider public will be ignored as they are alright, Jack.

8 hours ago, Herman said:

a cynic might suggest the thickos are merely being 'softened up' ahead of brexit reality

turn a failure into a perceived success by avoiding the above

..................which was never going to happen

45 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

An idiot posts a Youtube link of idiots saying idiotic things.

Gosh - Jolly hockey sticks. It even sounds like Pathe news!

I knew some lived in the past but this is really funny. Was it a new Spitting Image trailer sketch ?