Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

What kind of start next season?

It will be a quick turnaround and likely still to be behind closed doors. How do people feel we might start the new season? Off to a flyer or struggle?

Lots of factors at play... our capitulation in the last 7 PL games still on the mind, the bedding in of possibly 6 or 7 new players, a truncated pre season, not to mention the potential psychological fall out affecting some players following relegation?  Maybe too with the transfer window overlapping, some players may be leaving or fighting for their places? Finally, there will be expectations of being up there. And all with no intimidating home crowd to spur the team on.

I realise we don't know and we await the result of new recruitment. Given what I've watched with our confidence levels at the lowest ebb I'm more nervous than I expected. On the plus side Hanley and Zimmerman should be fit (& Byram).

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

It will be a quick turnaround and likely still to be behind closed doors. How do people feel we might start the new season? Off to a flyer or struggle?

Lots of factors at play... our capitulation in the last 7 PL games still on the mind, the bedding in of possibly 6 or 7 new players, a truncated pre season, not to mention the potential psychological fall out affecting some players following relegation?  Maybe too with the transfer window overlapping, some players may be leaving or fighting for their places? Finally, there will be expectations of being up there. And all with no intimidating home crowd to spur the team on.

I realise we don't know and we await the result of new recruitment. Given what I've watched with our confidence levels at the lowest ebb I'm more nervous than I expected. On the plus side Hanley and Zimmerman should be fit (& Byram).

After this seasons shocker I’d imagine we have to get off to a very reasonable start to shake off any possible hangover. 

It's difficult to assess what effect the total capitulation at the back end of this season will have. On paper, I would expect us to have one of the best squads in the division, and Farke's possession football is likely to be more successful and a lot less frequently exposed and punished than it has been this season.

I believe we will be in and around the top six for the whole season, but finishing in the top two will be extremely tough.

A team that performs this bad in the premier league almost always struggles back in the championship, we will start slow and finish mid to lower table 

The transfer window closes 5/10 so we could have up to a month of limbo in between outgoing and incoming 1st team players.

I've not got a clue how that will affect us or any other club. With no fans watching and no home advantage it will come down to the quality of the players so I'm hoping it will work to our advantage.

Get off to a bad start and I can see this message board being pretty lively! 

Depends largely on transfer activity. I am seriously worried that we might go 10 games defeated and that will have to have an effect on the players psychologically.

Farke’s teams have started slowly in each of his championship seasons. Do the same next year and knives will be out.

The players and team need to be absolutely on it.

Fully committed, they need to show the desire to get the ball back, the physicality that we have seen from our current opposition, running to keep the ball in play etc

We need to be fully prepared for the opposition and we need our team and social cohesion to develop quickly, new faces, some leaving will mean a possible new style, new strengths etc.

But the social cohesion and bond is tough after this end to a season. We need players to be able to read each others game.

i think it will be tough next season 

I imagine quite  a few good players will leave 

so we have to find replacements that will not be easy  

i can not really remember a team that has took such a hammering in a season just bouncing back just like that ,

i think there is a problem somewhere in the club so mid table for me 

I’m fully expecting a slow start to the season. The combination of short pre-season, low confidence, high squad churn and Norwich’s traditional slow starts will all mean it will be a minor miracle if things go well from day one.

It could be argued starting behind closed doors will be a benefit as you can imagine a home crowd actually being a negative if Norwich concede first. 

Very interested to see how Norwich manage to close season. There is potentially only going to be 5 weeks from the Man City game to the first Championship game. Players will need a break to go away and clear their heads, but friendlies to integrate new players will be vital. 

It could be a bloody nightmare in all honesty. 

• Like 3

I think we have to be reasonably patient- we saw in our last Championship season that a poor first few games doesn't kill your season. But I think if we're getting towards Christmas and we've not got going then we'll have to see Webber act. 

Always difficult to sat and really depends on who goes and more importantly when they go.

However, at the moment we have a clear advantage over our rivals in the Championship next season, we already know our fate and like someone posted previously it's only us, Coventry and Rotherham who do so we have to take advantage of that and I believe we have.

The new guys are already in the building training and getting to know their new team mates, recruitment is apparently still ongoing and hopefully they will also be done before the season finishes so come September we should be fairly settled, however as per above, if some of these sales drag out for weeks and weeks it's always unsettling and delays an in which then means we are competing.

I'd rather be in our position right now that that of those at risk of coming down with us or those hoping to go up either auto or play off as they are weeks away from knowing.

Yes of course they will have lists for both but doing your dealings early is always an advantage than last minute.

It's important sometimes to look beyond the result too, last season in the Championship we started poorly in terms of points on the board, but looking at those games we should've got more than we did out of them. We also didn't know it at the time, but we lost 3 games to teams who would be our closest rivals throughout that season which goes to show how hard it can be to ascertain what level your side is at in that division. 

I don't expect us to necessarily start off too well, especially considering the fact I think the team will have at least 5 or 6 new faces in it on the opening day, but hopefully the signs are there that positive results will arrive eventually.

Much will depend on how Farke sets his teams up. Zonal marking has not worked for us and will need addressing, all eleven players back in the eighteen yard box to defend corners and set pieces needs addressing this gives you no outlet if you clear the ball and allows the opposition to put more bodies in the box. The defence needs an overhaul we have two small full backs that aren't that good at defending. We need to move the ball much quicker from back to front not the pedantic ten passes to get back to sqquare one.

Three seasons in and the Webber/Farke defence is probably the worst it has been for several years, it was porous in the Championship and needed improving but wasn't. Farke needs to stop talking about statistics that don't count (ie against Millwall some three seasons ago) Norwich 75% Millwall 25% the only statistic that counted was Millwall 4 Norwich 0.

Whilst I wish them well I don't know the damage this season will have done. 

• Thanks 1

If there's an overlap with the transfer windows. What would you do with the players who are leaving? Sound them out early find out their intentions and name our price. Leave them out of the squad and let the players who want to be here gel would be my strategy. It might make the team weaker on paper but it would benefit us come the end of the season if we've had a pretty settled side from the start.

Last season in the Championship we shipped all sorts of goals. Farke hasn't addressed this problem so this coming season in the Championship I predict that we will ship all sorts of goals. 

Unfortunately we don't seem to be scoring any at present. 

9 hours ago, king canary said:

I think we have to be reasonably patient- we saw in our last Championship season that a poor first few games doesn't kill your season. But I think if we're getting towards Christmas and we've not got going then we'll have to see Webber act. 

I think if we Get it Wrong and Near Christmas and we are Poor Webber would also have to go 

Webber has a Huge Transfer window this summer waste the sky money and the young players sales money and we are in trouble 

If we don’t buy at least one effective centre back and preferably two then with our full backs playing so far forward and our midfield not up to a lot defensively there will be trouble ahead. I don ‘t see us scoring as freely as we did last season in the Championship.