vlad666

Webber/ Cantwell

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's not about fans, it's about how a person wants to be seen by others. If it isn't self indulgent to sit for two or however many hours it takes to have your hair done like that, then I don't know what is. People can of course have their hair however they want, but to do that on such a day for the club, or even the day before, knowing it would be seen the next day, was not the best idea.  Actually I think it suits him, but it wasn't a day for looking at hairstyles, or watching a team player single himself out from the rest of his team mates so publicly like he did afterwards. He's 22, not 15 or 16.

How many hours do you sit on here posting? How many hours do you spend indulging in your hobbies and passions? 

What a person does with their own time is entirely up to them and shouldn't be up for discussion on a football forum.

It's just utter nonsense.

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Words fail me.  So I have to play up to some image of positivity that is perceived by others, so that I'm not allowed to criticise or comment on things I see that I don't like or agree with.

Yes, players are human (as am I!) and they also have images that they project and responsibilities within the job they do. I like Todd, he has proved his potential this season, but perfect he isn't, no-one is, including me, so you can stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Bit touchy LDC. Why’s that? You’ve just criticised one of our players for nothing more than having a haircut before a game and someone has posted a short rebuttal disproving of it.

Would you be less touchy if I posted a mini essay for the next three days calling you a ‘dinosaur’ and saying you’re a negative person with a negative view on life, that you are clearly not a real fan and you should just get behind the club and the boys. Why can’t you just support Cantwell? 

See the point?

On a more serious note though, you’ve said elsewhere that players are human, and have gone on at very very great length about how stressed and fragile the players’ mindsets must be with everything going on as well as relegation. Yet here’s a young lad in his early twenties, who might have felt a bit better about himself after having a nice haircut/styling, get back to something a bit like normality, try and reduce that stress for the good of his mental health and he gets some chap on a message board calling him self indulgent and suggesting he’s somehow let thousands of fans down by having a hair cut a day or two before the team (all 11 players plus subs, not just Cantwell) lost a game which got us (the club, not just Cantwell) relegated. See the hypocrisy there?

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's not about fans, it's about how a person wants to be seen by others. If it isn't self indulgent to sit for two or however many hours it takes to have your hair done like that, then I don't know what is. People can of course have their hair however they want, but to do that on such a day for the club, or even the day before, knowing it would be seen the next day, was not the best idea.  Actually I think it suits him, but it wasn't a day for looking at hairstyles, or watching a team player single himself out from the rest of his team mates so publicly like he did afterwards. He's 22, not 15 or 16.

Cantwell's Hair - Page 3 - Main Discussion - Norwich City - The ...

Just out of interest lakey, what should he have spent those 2 hours doing instead? He will have done all of the training that he had to and probably a bit extra as well. Would you feel differently if he came out and said he'd been playing FIFA for 2 hours or he'd should he have spent it in a dark room meditating trying to reach an inner calm? He's obviously a person who takes pride in his appearance, perhaps getting his hair done was his best method of destressing and coming into the game in the best possible mental state.

This is not an attack on you, I normally would back you, but this is a ridiculous thing to get on your high horse about. The whole team were not good enough, there has not been enough fight or hunger since the restart and I've felt exactly the same when trying to watch these sham matches. Let's just move on and try not to tear into each other over silly things yeah?

Imagine you are in work and your boss doesn't like something you have done but rather than have a private word you release a video having a dig? Unprofessional and hardly likely to foster team spirit... Or maybe he is trying to move him on.... Whatever reason it's another reason that Webber won't be missed, by me, when he has gone. Doubt his line manager, Farke, is that impressed....

I quite like Todd's haircut... More impressed with his contribution this season though and with good management will be a major asset in the championship.

Webber knew exactly what he was saying and why he was saying it. To have a dig at Todd just because he was showing a reaction to being relegated doesn't make sense either. Probably something else in it, the seriousness of which we'll not know for a while.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Bit touchy LDC. Why’s that? You’ve just criticised one of our players for nothing more than having a haircut before a game and someone has posted a short rebuttal disproving of it.

Would you be less touchy if I posted a mini essay for the next three days calling you a ‘dinosaur’ and saying you’re a negative person with a negative view on life, that you are clearly not a real fan and you should just get behind the club and the boys. Why can’t you just support Cantwell? 

See the point?

On a more serious note though, you’ve said elsewhere that players are human, and have gone on at very very great length about how stressed and fragile the players’ mindsets must be with everything going on as well as relegation. Yet here’s a young lad in his early twenties, who might have felt a bit better about himself after having a nice haircut/styling, get back to something a bit like normality, try and reduce that stress for the good of his mental health and he gets some chap on a message board calling him self indulgent and suggesting he’s somehow let thousands of fans down by having a hair cut a day or two before the team (all 11 players plus subs, not just Cantwell) lost a game which got us (the club, not just Cantwell) relegated. See the hypocrisy there?

Spot on.

17 minutes ago, Aggy said:

There is no hypocrisy - there is a play off between what is personal and what is public - and players, whether they like it or not are in the public eye. General things that can't easily be measured, like stress, mental tiredness, nerves, fear or whatever are often invisible but where a player draws attention to himself for whatever reason, then they are going to get commented about.  I like Todd, I even said I think that style suited him, I can understand how bad he must have felt after that match, but players know they are in the public eye and will draw comment if they do something that marks them out from others.

14 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

He's obviously a person who takes pride in his appearance, perhaps getting his hair done was his best method of destressing and coming into the game in the best possible mental state.

This is not an attack on you, I normally would back you, but this is a ridiculous thing to get on your high horse about. The whole team were not good enough, there has not been enough fight or hunger since the restart and I've felt exactly the same when trying to watch these sham matches. Let's just move on and try not to tear into each other over silly things yeah?

I think on it's own the hairstyle thing was a small thing and can accept he might have felt good about it, but it did cause comment...and combined with sitting on the pitch on his own, long after the rest had gone in, was also going to cause comment. I don't know how I got into this, it is such a small thing to gripe about, but my thoughts are my thoughts and I am entitled to air them and I'm certainly not the only one who has commented on it. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

There is no hypocrisy - there is a play off between what is personal and what is public - and players, whether they like it or not are in the public eye. General things that can't easily be measured, like stress, mental tiredness, nerves, fear or whatever are often invisible but where a player draws attention to himself for whatever reason, then they are going to get commented about.  I like Todd, I even said I think that style suited him, I can understand how bad he must have felt after that match, but players know they are in the public eye and will draw comment if they do something that marks them out from others.

Apologies, I’m likely missing something obvious here... are you saying that it’s fine to 5lag someone off if it’s about a personal choice they make and they’re in the public eye? So when you hear of celebrities committing suicide because of all the stress and criticism they get online you think that’s fair game because they chose to be a celebrity instead of quitting and doing a 9-5 in an office? 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

as was that hairstyle on the day we were relegated....just my opinion, before anyone jumps in.

I took one for the team by starting the "Cantwell's Hair" thread Lakey haha

9 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Apologies, I’m likely missing something obvious here... are you saying that it’s fine to 5lag someone off if it’s about a personal choice they make and they’re in the public eye? So when you hear of celebrities committing suicide because of all the stress and criticism they get online you think that’s fair game because they chose to be a celebrity instead of quitting and doing a 9-5 in an office? 

I didn't "slag him off" and all I said right from the off was that it appeared a bit self-indulgent - like a lot of things we all do. I even said I quite liked it and that it suited him!  Has anyone gone overboard on what Teemu van Basten said earlier in this thread? I suggest if they want to vent their spleen on someone regarding this, they refer to his post.

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Honestly what the **** does a hair style have anything remotely to do with fans? What an absolute load of nonsense that your hair style can make you out to be self indulgent. 

It might be just your opinion, mine is that you keep utter ****e like that to yourself.

I find it very bizarre that one can get so easily enraged by somebody else expressing an opinion, I'm guessing you hang around on twitter too much? The home of the professionally outraged? 

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Is there any proof that it was cut before it was plaited?

But Terminally Yellow's reply to Lakey was not just a "short rebuttal", it was bizarrely aggressive. He needs to calm down before has a coronary.

Its fine to disagree with Lakey, but aggression and swearwords are not necessary.

I know this is ironic coming from me, somebody who offered somebody a straightener, but Lakey is entitled to his perfectly reasonable opinion and it doesn't matter whether it upsets or offends the professionally outraged. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Having Watch Todd Play Football Since the age of 13/14 ( same age group as my Nephew )

i have seen him cry over losing a football match so being relegated would Really hurt him 

He has Been the star player in Teams since the age of 13 "the one Norwich always talked about being the home grown star"

it really is a difficult one without arrogance he would not be the player he is  ,

i think he likes the attention as most young man would otherwise he would stay off internet platforms like twitter etc 

its a fine line  young man plenty of money / loads of Attention and being tipped for a big move a lot for a 22 year old to Deal with 

whatever Webber has to say he should leave comments like his for his office 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Apologies, I’m likely missing something obvious here... are you saying that it’s fine to 5lag someone off if it’s about a personal choice they make and they’re in the public eye? 

Are you saying that it is fine for Webber to take a pop at Cantwell, but not fine for Lakey to do so? 

On a serious note, it reminds me of that time that Webber had a lot to get off his chest about Howson and I should imagine it is a tactic to placate fans when his sale is announced. He'll drip feed a bit more which will imply that he's been greedy or disruptive, so that fans don't blame him for cashing in, deflecting the blame to a player who is already marmite with fans.

I always thought that airing of dirty laundry in public when Howson forced a move was a bit distasteful, particularly as Howson had done enough here in his 5 years to leave with our best wishes - even if his departure was an unwelcome inconvenience to a man trying to build a team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Webber should concentrate on doing his job better rather than digging out 22 year olds. 

Amen. 

I dont care aboute there hair, they are young, and that I dont understand todays youth dosnt mean that its somting to geth iriteted over. 

If they want to sitt and cry 90 min afther a match then thats ok for me. But they have to fight and work doring  the game. I think he has

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

whatever Webber has to say he should leave comments like his for his office 

Its a tactic to deflect the anger of fans when he announces his departure, away from the person who decided to sell onto an already maligned player. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I didn't "slag him off" and all I said right from the off was that it appeared a bit self-indulgent - like a lot of things we all do. I even said I quite liked it and that it suited him!  Has anyone gone overboard on what Teemu van Basten said earlier in this thread? I suggest if they want to vent their spleen on someone regarding this, they refer to his post.

You also made a snarky remark that he’s not 15 and said the day we get relegated was not a day for looking at hairstyles. Why should he get called childish and have people make out his hair style somehow let us down on the day we got relegated? 

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Are you saying that it is fine for Webber to take a pop at Cantwell, but not fine for Lakey to do so? 

Err.. my only mention of Webber’s comments were that they looked like a clear pop at Cantwell. Whereas LDC had literally just said ‘if you’re in the public eye it will get commented on’.

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Is there any proof that it was cut before it was plaited?

But Terminally Yellow's reply to Lakey was not just a "short rebuttal", it was bizarrely aggressive. He needs to calm down before has a coronary.

The short rebuttal l was referring to was mine. But admittedly no proof it was cut first - do you need to trim the ends before you plait? 🤔

Edited by Aggy

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes I've already pointed out the irony of my own post corky.

Oh ,,  thats ok then , as long as your are aware that your double standards are not ironic. 

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

The short rebuttal l was referring to was mine. But admittedly no proof it was cut first - do you need to trim the ends before you plait?

No idea mate, but I hope the hairstylist was wearing a visor if you do. 

Cantwell is a good player and I'll be sad to see him go. He's also a bit annoying and could be a lot more emotionally mature for a 22.5 year old, he's not 15. Look at how Max Aarons carries himself at 20.

I think Cantwell has a lot of growing up to do, whether that's here or elsewhere. Moving away from his mum and dad may be what he needs.

22 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I find it very bizarre that one can get so easily enraged by somebody else expressing an opinion, I'm guessing you hang around on twitter too much? The home of the professionally outraged? 

I couldn't give a **** what you find bizarre. 

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

Oh ,,  thats ok then , as long as your are aware that your double standards are not ironic. 

How are your dozens of posts criticising me suggesting we play Idah and Martin looking now Corky? Now that we are actually giving them minutes and Pukki is looking so poor?

Seems to be a growing number of people calling for Idah to start now. 

Don't worry, I probably go to more U23 games per season than you have been to senior games in your lifetime, so I do understand why you don't have your finger on the pulse and are two months behind me.

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

You also made a snarky remark that he’s not 15 and said the day we get relegated was not a day for looking at hairstyles. Why should he get called childish and have people make out his hair style somehow let us down on the day we got relegated?

It wasn't a day for admiring hairstyles. As a worried, nervous viewer before such a big match, I was focussed and preparing to watch what was our last chance at getting back in the race to stay up - and to be distracted by someone's hair as they walked out on the pitch...well it interupted that mood. Must be my bad, but then as I said before, if you make changes to your appearance it is going draw attention to you, for better or worse.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It wasn't a day for admiring hairstyles. As a worried, nervous viewer before such a big match, I was focussed and preparing to watch what was our last chance at getting back in the race to stay up - and to be distracted by someone's hair as they walked out on the pitch...well it interupted that mood. Must be my bad, but then as I said before, if you make changes to your appearance it is going draw attention to you, for better or worse.

Agree Lakey.

The sitting on the pitch and the unusual haircut were both intended for the TV cameras, and are perfectly relevant to this OP and the comment made by Webber.

The point Webber was making is that there have been players that haven't necessarily thinking about what is best for the team, but about themselves and the shop window.

And judging by our post-lockdown performances I think it has been pretty obvious that a few have had their heads turned.

"Look I'm desperately unhappy, please come and get save me" in front of the cameras was demeaning to Farke and undermined him in front of the worlds TV cameras. 

I back Farke completely to shed us of deadwood and tool downers in the summer and bring us back up stronger.

Anybody who doesn't fancy it can f*ck off, no player bigger than the club.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It's kind of you to offer, Teemu, but I like my sexual partners not to be utter ***.

And to have plaited hair, judging my how passionate you are in their defence. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten