Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

This has been no ordinary season

It may well have been an extraordinary season, but it may become the new normal. We can't just brush the reasons for relegation under the carpet and blame it on injuries. We have to learn from it and move on, otherwise promotion isn't going to happen.

What we can be certain of is that we will have injuries so that means 5 CBs, especially if Farke wants to revert to 3 at the back. Adapt to playing behind closed doors because some or most of next season will be that. They can't  rely on fans for motivation. Have a plan in place for remaining mentally and physically fit for the next lockdown which will probably be over the winter. We can't crawl out of lockdown like we did this time.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It may well have been an extraordinary season, but it may become the new normal. We can't just brush the reasons for relegation under the carpet and blame it on injuries. We have to learn from it and move on, otherwise promotion isn't going to happen.

What we can be certain of is that we will have injuries so that means 5 CBs, especially if Farke wants to revert to 3 at the back. Adapt to playing behind closed doors because some or most of next season will be that. They can't  rely on fans for motivation. Have a plan in place for remaining mentally and physically fit for the next lockdown which will probably be over the winter. We can't crawl out of lockdown like we did this time.

I can't argue with that except to say that's on every other thread and this one was about it being no ordinary season. So it's hardly being brushed under the carpet and if we can't discuss that here then where can we?

32 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

You make it sound like we were already relegated before lockdown. But we were only 2 wins from the mix and had a chance of survival, we hadn't been battered in every single game up to that point - we had been competitive - why was the only expected route for us to throw the towel in?

Christ, I'm glad you're not our manager Ron! I didn't realise our players were this pathetically poor mentally and physically!

I don't see us meeting in the middle here but I will try boil it down. Do you think we have played the 100% the best we could possibly play since coming back from lockdown (even in the context of everything that is against us)?

I think up to lockdown this was probably true, we saw Farke getting the most out of our players, given the injury circumstances at hand, and we saw a competitive team with played well in some games, in periods in other games, and less well in other games.

Since lockdown, I think our team could've performed better than it has done, much better.

What's that got to do with anything, that argument has no merit in my point.

My point is

• Pre-lockdown - Lots of injuries all across the team throughout the season - Yet still we were a competitive side (not being battered week in week out with confidence at breaking point like you appear to be suggesting)
  • Post-lockdown - Lots of injuries solely in defence - Can't attack, can't defend, look a shell of our former selves, show little to no fight or passion which we saw in droves earlier in the season.

I didn't say it affected all teams equally. I take the point about the extra substitutions and home crowd to a small extent. But think they pale in comparison when you look at the fundamentals of just how badly we have been competing;

• Home crowd - How much would a full Carrow Road have helped us against Southampton, where we got played off the park from 5 minutes in, and didn't look remotely up for a fight either physically or mentally? Would the home crowd have given our players superior physicality? Would they have been up for the game if the crowd were there? I'd argue it is equally likely that the crowd would've turned on the players in the So'ton game and the whole thing would've ended in an even worse disaster! Likewise for every single **** poor turn out since then too.
  • The only game a home crowd may have made a difference is the Man United FA cup game, where we actually looked competitive and could've got some momentum to spur us on from the fans.
  • Extra substitutions - which game has any team benefitted from having extra subs versus us? For the most part the games have been over by half-time, so why is this a reason to excuse our performances? If there were some tight games which were 0-0, 1-1 etc and a couple of late subs from the opposition changed the tide then I'd say fair enough. This excuse is just nonsense frankly!

What are the pros of having a 4 month break before the crunch period of the season for a team fighting for survival?

Well its a very long break, so we were gifted time in a very unique way and we could've used it to think about;

• Tactics - working out flaws in our game which have cost, and how we can rectify those flaws
  • Physical preparation - make sure the players are being trained as well as they can be physically, to give ourselves an edge over other teams who could be less prepared on our return. Particularly those teams who have nothing to play for..
  • Mental preparation - work with the players to ensure they are more up for the fight than ever, again particular over those teams who don't have anything to play for for the remainder of the season.

It appears we failed to take advantage of this opportunity in every measure. We have looked worse tactically, physically and mentally since returning and I really have to wonder what we've been doing these past months!

Sorry, you expect a team to perform no matter how many key personnel they lose. I think that's asking for the impossible.

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Sorry, you expect a team to perform no matter how many key personnel they lose. I think that's asking for the impossible.

I didn't say 'no matter how many key personnel we lose'. We had two injuries at centre back post lockdown, do you think its impossible to expect our team to perform in any way, shape or form because of these injuries? Does 2 injuries justify the total capitulation of our team, to the point where there are no positives to take from any of our performances?

If you think that what I have asked of our team is 'impossible' Ron, then fair enough, but I personally think you can raise your expectations for our team just a little!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ron obvious said:

And how exactly would YOU prepare with one crock CB, one with no PL experience, & no, absolutely no, zero, nada,, back up??

Come on, you tactical genius you.

I actually have no idea. But then I'm not a football manager. Id at least tell the players we have to pretend to give a toss tho. It was painfully obvious some of them didn't.

13 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I actually have no idea. But then I'm not a football manager. Id at least tell the players we have to pretend to give a toss tho. It was painfully obvious some of them didn't.

Rubbish. Pressure, tension, nerves, mental tiredness all come in to play and you don't need to be a football manager to realise that. All those things either on their own or all together will have an effect on a sportsman's performance. Frankly, I think all of those things have affected particularly the young players, but probably all of them. 

Edited by lake district canary

17 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I didn't say 'no matter how many key personnel we lose'. We had two injuries at centre back post lockdown, do you think its impossible to expect our team to perform in any way, shape or form because of these injuries? Does 2 injuries justify the total capitulation of our team, to the point where there are no positives to take from any of our performances?

If you think that what I have asked of our team is 'impossible' Ron, then fair enough, but I personally think you can raise your expectations for our team just a little!

Yes, given our first choice CBs are adequate at PL level. Ben could be outstanding, but he isn't yet, & desperately needs a mature head alongside him. Zimbo isn't experienced at Pl level, but he's a great leader & an inspiring player. Hanley was getting better after having seemed to finally shake off his injury..

I think Timm is pretty well done. He & Ben together scarcely make a Champs. partnership.

Losing Christoph & Grant together stuffed us physically & mentally, just as a ch!nk of light appeared.

Sh!t happens. Unfortunately it's all happened at once.

PS this disallowed word thing is fecking mental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ron obvious
Insane censorship of the use of normal English words

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Rubbish. Pressure, tension, nerves, mental tiredness all come in to play and you don't need to be a football manager to realise that. All those things either on their own or all together will have an effect on a sportsman's performance. Frankly, I think all of those things have affected particularly the young players, but probably all of them. 

Rubbish. Mental tiredness etc. and that is just your posts (joke)

We have looked awful. From Webber, Farke and the players.

3 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Rubbish. Mental tiredness etc. and that is just your posts (joke)

We have looked awful. From Webber, Farke and the players.

You would think most people would understand mental issues by now and how they affect people.  It happens to everyone to some degree or other, whether they are aware of it or not.

5 hours ago, ron obvious said:

And how exactly would YOU prepare with one crock CB, one with no PL experience, & no, absolutely no, zero, nada,, back up??

Come on, you tactical genius you.

Its a manifold answer Ron.

During the past couple of years I'd have signed a couple of defenders as conceding so many goals was unsustainable. 

I would have employed a defensive coach to work the back 6 as an organised unit to reduce the mistakes and goals conceded. 

During the lockdown specifically, I would employ psychological support for the players and hold regular team meetings and individual meetings with the players to mentally prepare them for the restart.

Just a couple of suggestions for you,  you don't have to be a tactical genius to figure it out. 

So you think such things were not considered, presumably because Daniel, Stuart & the management & coaching staff do not have your footballing acumen.

OK. I can see what I'm dealing with now.

6 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

So you think such things were not considered, presumably because Daniel, Stuart & the management & coaching staff do not have your footballing acumen.

If the enormous amount of goals conceded last season were considered, why wasn't 

*) new defenders bought instead of attacking midfielders?

*) our defenders coached to be more organised and better at defending set pieces?

*) our full backs told to alternate going forward rather than everyone bombing forward at once?

Etc

10 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Unless of course, you think it's ok as it is? 

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You would think most people would understand mental issues by now and how they affect people.  It happens to everyone to some degree or other, whether they are aware of it or not.

I do actually know about it. We were still pants and I am yet to hear that anyone had ‘mental issues’

STOP MAKING UP EXCUSES! 

7 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I've a feeling that we are about to see a far bigger transformation of our squad than any of us could have imagined four moths ago. Its been obvious to all that we have lacked physicallity,pace and height to such an extreme this season that it would be a dereliction of duty if Webber and Farke did'nt address these failings. It may well be we will lose four or five of our so called brighter lights in one hit. If it results in our team no longer being beaten up and steamrolled by other teams but at the same time retaining the football phylosophy which served us so well last season,I for one would take that.

It's not our brighter lights that show the weakness (perhaps Lewis and Cantwell) but they also have more skill too to get away from opponents.   It's the rest that are the problem and need replacing.... Drmic, Rupp, Leitner, Vrancic, Steipermann, Trybull, Klose, we won't be transforming the squad retaining any of these lads!   Aarons, Godfrey, Buendia, Hernandez, Idah, Pukki, all mix it no problem.    

7 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

I do actually know about it. We were still pants and I am yet to hear that anyone had ‘mental issues’

STOP MAKING UP EXCUSES! 

They all have mental issues to do with what has gone on this season - and we all do as far as the pandemic goes - unless you are made of stone. Professional footballers are human beings and subject to the same stresses and strains as all of us - and mental tiredness is bound to be affecting some if not all of them. Being at the bottom of the table is no picnic and considerably more stressful than being in mid table or at least out of the bottom three. Have a bit of compassion - they are not excuses, they are reasons.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

They all have mental issues to do with what has gone on this season - and we all do as far as the pandemic goes - unless you are made of stone. Professional footballers are human beings and subject to the same stresses and strains as all of us - and mental tiredness is bound to be affecting some if not all of them. Being at the bottom of the table is no picnic and considerably more stressful than being in mid table or at least out of the bottom three. Have a bit of compassion - they are not excuses, they are reasons.

Are you saying that Farke didn't prepare the players mentally for the restart?

9 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Are you saying that Farke didn't prepare the players mentally for the restart?

No. Are you being awkward on purpose?

Edited by lake district canary

8 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!(Mk 4)

I started reading this thread backwards from page three and thought you were running a bit late with this today. Glad to see it’s just that you got it in early. Same time tomorrow on the next LDC thread?

Edited by Aggy

More excuses dressed up as reasons.

How do you, Mr LDC, know what mental issues the players have had, if any.

Let's face it, they don't have to worry about being made redundant, they don't have to worry about where the next pay packet is coming from and they don't have to worry about financial security in the future.

They are lucky to be in one of the few jobs where the money has kept rolling in and they are in one of the few jobs that have been able to get back to work safely.

They don't have to worry about going on public transport or mixing with the hoi palloi in Lidl every week.

All they had to worry about was getting fit and putting in a bit of effort to try & secure the Clubs future in the EPL.

They failed.

No shame in that but please don't try and kid us that our relegation is down to the virus.

We've been in the bottom 3 for most of the season, we were bottom before it happened, we're bottom now and we'll be bottom when we've played 38 games.

Surely that must tell you something

Edited by Making Plans

32 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I started reading this thread backwards from page three and thought you were running a bit late with this today. Glad to see it’s just that you got it in early. Same time tomorrow on the next LDC thread?

Tomorrow's high impact, controversial and thrilling installment 'me Me ME!' (Mk 5)....Is probably being hurriedly drafted by LDC as we speak.....

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

More excuses dressed up as reasons.

How do you, Mr LDC, know what mental issues the players have had, if any.

Let's face it, they don't have to worry about being made redundant, they don't have to worry about where the next pay packet is coming from and they don't have to worry about financial security in the future.

They are lucky to be in one of the few jobs where the money has kept rolling in and they are in one of the few jobs that have been able to get back to work safely.

They don't have to worry about going on public transport or mixing with the hoi palloi in Lidl every week.

All they had to worry about was getting fit and putting in a bit of effort to try & secure the Clubs future in the EPL.

They failed.

No shame in that but please don't try and kid us that our relegation is down to the virus.

We've been in the bottom 3 for most of the season, we were bottom before it happened, we're bottom now and we'll be bottom when we've played 38 games.

Surely that must tell you something

That post tells me everything. Professional footballers have it easy and have no right to get tired, jaded or stressed...I see.

Just now, lake district canary said:

That post tells me everything. Professional footballers have it easy and have no right to get tired, jaded or stressed...I see.

Do they have a right to style their hair how they want without getting stick for it from fans?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

No. Are you being awkward on purpose?

I'm wondering why you think it's a big problem since lockdown, I wonder if you feel the playing staff were prepared adequately both mentally and physically for the restart?

That's only awkward if you don't want to answer it.

8 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I'm wondering why you think it's a big problem since lockdown, I wonder if you feel the playing staff were prepared adequately both mentally and physically for the restart?

That's only awkward if you don't want to answer it.

Read my previous posts if you want to know, I'm not going all through that again.

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Read my previous posts if you want to know, I'm not going all through that again.

I try to read your posts but...

Just a simple yes or no answer  - 

Do you think the players were managed well enough during lockdown, to prepare them mentally and physically for the restart?

Yes or no 

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

I try to read your posts but...

Just a simple yes or no answer  - 

Do you think the players were managed well enough during lockdown, to prepare them mentally and physically for the restart?

Yes or no 

It's not as simplistic as a yes or a no answer. Sorry, but it just isn't.