Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

This has been no ordinary season

Yes, it's been horrible the last few weeks, but just looking at our home form before the break, we had only lost to one team since December 28th - and that was Liverpool and that was a creditable performance too. A not too bad 8 points out of 15.

2-2 v Spurs a match that VAR robbed us

1-1 v Palace

1-0 v Bnmth

0-1 v Liverpool

1-0 v Leicester

We even had some good away performances in that time, narrowly losing to Spurs and Sheff Utd and how we didn't beat Newcastle away is a bit of a mystery - we dominated them for nearly the whole match. The 0-4 and 0-3 away at ManUtd and Wolves were not good, but we responded to those defeats reasonably well and yes, we were bottom, but there were signs we were still in the fight.

The break has done for us, pure and simple. That and the injuries to CB's.  Yes, hands up, we were not good enough, but I do feel this season has to be written off without too many re-criminations. It's been like a fast moving horror film, seeing us play every two or three days and knowing we have lost whatever edge we might have had in the run up to the break and not had the fit players to bring in to bolster the defence.

The one bright spot was the fa cup game, but even that turned into a bit of a horror story after Klose was sent off, with extra time having a certain sense of inevitability about it (well it did to me anyway).

Sad, depressing even, but in football there is always another match, always another season, always a new challenge. Perhaps the next match will give us a bit of joy, who knows, or the last match of the season, or we may have to wait for next season.....but for sure, this has been no ordinary season.

OTBC

• Like 2

At least we have got this predictable thread out of the way nice and early following yet another defeat in the most miserable of seasons with a catalogue of unwanted records in our history set.

44 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, it's been horrible the last few weeks, but just looking at our home form before the break, we had only lost to one team since December 28th - and that was Liverpool and that was a creditable performance too. A not too bad 8 points out of 15.

1-1 v Palace

1-0 v Bnmth

0-1 v Liverpool

1-0 v Leicester

We even had some good away performances in that time, narrowly losing to Spurs and Sheff Utd and how we didn't beat Newcastle away is a bit of a mystery - we dominated them for nearly the whole match. The 0-4 and 0-3 away at ManUtd and Wolves were not good, but we responded to those defeats reasonably well and yes, we were bottom, but there were signs we were still in the fight.

The break has done for us, pure and simple. That and the injuries to CB's.  Yes, hands up, we were not good enough, but I do feel this season has to be written off without too many re-criminations. It's been like a fast moving horror film, seeing us play every two or three days and knowing we have lost whatever edge we might have had in the run up to the break and not had the fit players to bring in to bolster the defence.

The one bright spot was the fa cup game, but even that turned into a bit of a horror story after Klose was sent off, with extra time having a certain sense of inevitability about it (well it did to me anyway).

Sad, depressing even, but in football there is always another match, always another season, always a new challenge. Perhaps the next match will give us a bit of joy, who knows, or the last match of the season, or we may have to wait for next season.....but for sure, this has been no ordinary season.

OTBC

It was an extraordinarily great season because so many records were broken! says no one, ever. Apart from Lakey 😂

(Unfortunately this is a very bad thing!! I wonder how many records we will have by the end of the season!!??) 

Is LDC really saying that the management didn't prepare the players properly for the restart?

Seeing the team lose games is never ok but seeing the way we are losing is embarrassing with no spirit and no real striking force cannot understand why idah not start. when we have nothing to lose just go for it all out attack two strikers very sad season ione of the worst in over 40 years of watching city 

The commentators summed it up yesterday, Chelsea didn't have to get out of 2nd gear and even so we never looked anything remotely close to scoring. Didn't test Kepa once in 90 minutes.

• Like 1

I've been a supporter since 1986 and it's been one of the poorest seasons I have seen ...along with for example the relegation season in 2009 to league one. We have looked unworthy of a place in the PL and it has been embarrassing at times... I'm sorry but there are not a lot of positives to be taken imho

OMG the OP really needs a job as a spin doctor. What an absolute load of claptrap. Season has been nothing short of disastrous. If DF, like the OP focuses on the positives how on earth can they even start to put right what is wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

OMG the OP really needs a job as a spin doctor. What an absolute load of claptrap. Season has been nothing short of disastrous. If DF, like the OP focuses on the positives how on earth can they even start to put right what is wrong. 

New to this forum by any chance DBK?

Records are there to be broken, both good and bad. The virus and the long break wrecked things and the lack of a crowd and the 5 subs rule probably had a more detrimental effect on us than it did many other clubs. Until the threat of the virus is lifted nothing will be the same.

• Like 2

There's never been a season where I couldn't go to games. Unwanted records for sure but they have been set in circumstances there have never been before and I hope never happen again. The games since lockdown have been unwatchable for me and not just because most of them are on channels I don't have. All the games have been unwatchable. MOTD too. Football without supporters has no soul.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

There's never been a season where I couldn't go to games. Unwanted records for sure but they have been set in circumstances there have never been before and I hope never happen again. The games since lockdown have been unwatchable for me and not just because most of them are on channels I don't have. All the games have been unwatchable. MOTD too. Football without supporters has no soul.

I'd agree with this. Had I been at the ground and witnessed some of these lacklustre (I'm being nice) performances I think I'd be a LOT angrier. As it is, before the restart we were likely to go down, if it hadn't restarted we were definitely down and now it has we have gone down. I've said elsewhere that we've looked a lot as though we didn't expect to start again and had already accepted that we were relegated. We haven't (again) been helped with injury and other aspects are also against us, like the 5 sub rule. But I'm not really bothered by the points total, the run of defeats or the lack of goals really; the only thing that really concerns me is that we've stopped being brave on the ball and playing our way - it hasn't worked but has given us the only success we've had this season. Why that is, be it confidence, coaching, or whatever, it will need addressing and quickly. 

As for having nothing to play for and "going for it" I understand the sentiment but had we done that and got tonked 8-0 they'd have got crucified; what they did was come out and show a bit more bite against a better side than had just tonked us 4-0 - we offered powder puff threat going forward but (while we still could have lost by more) it was an improvement on the West Ham game. However minimal you think that improvement was, it was important to see some sort of reaction and the fact that despite having relegation confirmed they went out and worked hard enough to keep Chelsea down to 1 offered a glimmer, however small, of hope moving forward. 

Still, as others have said, man management is going to be severely tested in the coming weeks. I might feel detached from the losses but the players are actually going through it. Confidence is evidently low; getting them to essentially erase that from their minds and set up for a crack at the Championship won't be easy and is why we need that change in personnel to freshen things up. 

Fresh impetus, fresh hope. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

It was an extraordinarily great season because so many records were broken! says no one, ever. Apart from Lakey 😂

(Unfortunately this is a very bad thing!! I wonder how many records we will have by the end of the season!!??) 

Now show us the results from March - present,  let’s see how you polish those up!

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

This season has been a watershed for many, it’s highlighted even for the most stubborn of the Delia fanatics that the model she is espousing simply cannot work

Change is a positive experience living in the past isn’t 

Delia out stinking rich Chinese owner in 

I've a feeling that we are about to see a far bigger transformation of our squad than any of us could have imagined four moths ago. Its been obvious to all that we have lacked physicallity,pace and height to such an extreme this season that it would be a dereliction of duty if Webber and Farke did'nt address these failings. It may well be we will lose four or five of our so called brighter lights in one hit. If it results in our team no longer being beaten up and steamrolled by other teams but at the same time retaining the football phylosophy which served us so well last season,I for one would take that.

I think the lockdown is probably the difference between going down bottom on 21 points or going down, maybe in 19th on 29 or something.

We were looking OK pre lockdown but there was no suggestion in our form that we were going to pull off a great escape. 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

1-1 v Palace

1-0 v Bnmth

0-1 v Liverpool

1-0 v Leicester

OTBC

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!(Mk 4)

• Like 1

Just now, lake district canary said:

KEEP TAKING THE TABLETS, MELLO, THEY MIGHT WORK EVENTUALLY!

CAN I HAVE SOME OF YOURS?

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Deja Vu, I've read all this somewhere before

Doesn't make it any less true.

Zimbo, Hanley, Byram.

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Is LDC really saying that the management didn't prepare the players properly for the restart?

And how exactly would YOU prepare with one crock CB, one with no PL experience, & no, absolutely no, zero, nada,, back up??

Come on, you tactical genius you.

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think the lockdown is probably the difference between going down bottom on 21 points or going down, maybe in 19th on 29 or something.

We were looking OK pre lockdown but there was no suggestion in our form that we were going to pull off a great escape. 

I agree with this. We were always off the pace - just not this much off the pace. 

The sooner people stop making lame excuses in defence of Delia, Farke and the whole team, and turn their attention to where the real problems are the sooner they will realise where it all went wrong.

We were underprepared for the resumption, there was no game plan for any of the games we've played, we were unfit compared to other teams, there was no leadership, no direction and no motivation and very little in the way of effort.

I didn't see many players busting a gut or running through brick walls to get a result.

In the main the players looked like they had banked on "null & void" and an unlikely escape from the inevitable.

When the resumption was announced they couldn't handle the thought of having to get back from being on the beach for 3 months and put in the required effort.

Forget about the virus, the subs, the crowds etc etc, all our problems were nothing to do with outside influences, they were all in our own control.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Records are there to be broken, both good and bad. The virus and the long break wrecked things and the lack of a crowd and the 5 subs rule probably had a more detrimental effect on us than it did many other clubs. Until the threat of the virus is lifted nothing will be the same.

Yes - I'd go along with this and part of what LDC has said. We were often poor before the lock down, but we were plagued by injuries in key positions+ had some bad luck, but nevertheless were still likely to get relegated. We have been terrible since the restart and it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that it has had a negative effect upon us.

Moving forwards, I just don't understand how next season can work. We should be ok with parachute payments but how are others clubs going to manage with almost no income - many of them have wage bills of 25 million plus - unless I have missed it, nobody seems to be discussing this at all? 

Edited by Badger
Corrected mistake

4 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

The sooner people stop making lame excuses in defence of Delia, Farke and the whole team, and turn their attention to where the real problems are the sooner they will realise where it all went wrong.

We were underprepared for the resumption, there was no game plan for any of the games we've played, we were unfit compared to other teams, there was no leadership, no direction and no motivation and very little in the way of effort.

I didn't see many players busting a gut or running through brick walls to get a result.

In the main the players looked like they had banked on "null & void" and an unlikely escape from the inevitable.

When the resumption was announced they couldn't handle the thought of having to get back from being on the beach for 3 months and put in the required effort.

Forget about the virus, the subs, the crowds etc etc, all our problems were nothing to do with outside influences, they were all in our own control.

An "I only see bad things" kind of post. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

15 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Forget about the virus and the crowds? 

I'd rather not if that's ok.

Do you live your life and forget about your soul?

Maybe you do...