Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Worst Run in our History

Gosh. As stats go, you can't get much more damning than that. 

These escalating levels of failure, bordering on humiliation now, are going to weigh heavily on our players for a long time to come. There's just no way they are going to regain full confidence over such a short preseason.

I really hope Webber hasn't inadvertently ripped the heart and soul out of his own burgeoning project just to save a bit of money this season.

Time will tell whether the financial savings outweigh the psychological scars but I can't help but think it's going to be incredibly tough to turn things around next season and that will inevitably end with the club and fans coming to blows. 

• Like 2

Sadly, we've gone from the "best bottom team" to the team who'll be remembered to have been as bad, if not worse than Derby. Scored one, conceded 16 since the restart. Damaging stuff. Need something positive to cling to in the last two games. Webber has a big job on his hands over the next 6 weeks. 

• Like 1

There is no doubt this seasons team has been one of the worst in our relatively modest history and as you say it’s absolutely damning on the so called project and stowmarket/Webber partnership 

he keeps saying he has 2 years left what is stopping him going now to save us any more embarrassment 

Edited by Uncle Fred

Yeah yeah.  Put a couple of asterisks against that record and move on. Nothing about the end of this season matters in the end anyway. Let’s start over and crush the Championship again. 

Edited by Surfer

6 hours ago, Surfer said:

Yeah yeah.  Put a couple of asterisks against that record and move on. Nothing about the end of this season matters in the end anyway. Let’s start over and crush the Championship again. 

But do you think we can just shake this historic level of failiure off? Where will the belief and confidence come from after this savage humiliation? A huge player turnover is my only thought but what does that mean, a brand new squad rebuild? How was that in the project plan?

My fear is the spiralling damage from this white flag season is way beyond what our clearly naive and inexperienced regime were expecting and it could be unrepairable - I can see fan discontent boiling over if we don't hit the ground running nex season and someone very high profile taking the hit for that. 

Interesting times... (Well, off the field at least 😂)

• Like 1

Half the team will be different so why wouldn't they have a different mentally and hit the pitch running next season?

Southampton recovered from the most humiliating result in their history earlier this season after the 0-9 against Leicester.  If a manager/team can survive that and do as well afterwards as they have done, then anything is possible.  It's all about how you handle setbacks.  I would say the recent run has been a false one owing to the situation of the last ten games of the season including the fa cup, being under extraordinary circumstances.  Yeah, I know, its the same for everybody....but it isn't, is it. Injuries, Klose plainly not returned to full strength, 5 subs a match, the closeness of the games...it's all been a step too far.  Just write off the season and forget it and move on.  Dwelling on records, whether they are good ones or bad, is not good anyway. 

No other Norwich team have had to take a 3 month break and then play without home advantage. 

I genuinely don’t believe the post restart game would have all gone the same way without the break so feel this ‘record’ should be pretty much ignored. 

I do worry about next season and shaking off the inevitable hang over from this, especially as the break will be less than normal. Hopefully the new players can bring new belief. I would point out that there are a lot of players with resilient mindsets though - Pukki, Krul, Trybull, Vrancic (to name a few) have all had major setbacks in their careers and overcome them. 

I expect a slow start to the season (which isn’t unusual for Norwich). Hopefully a few easier games at the beginning of the season and confidence should get flowing again soon. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Southampton recovered from the most humiliating result in their history earlier this season after the 0-9 against Leicester.  If a manager/team can survive that and do as well afterwards as they have done, then anything is possible.  It's all about how you handle setbacks.  I would say the recent run has been a false one owing to the situation of the last ten games of the season including the fa cup, being under extraordinary circumstances.  Yeah, I know, its the same for everybody....but it isn't, is it. Injuries, Klose plainly not returned to full strength, 5 subs a match, the closeness of the games...it's all been a step too far.  Just write off the season and forget it and move on.  Dwelling on records, whether they are good ones or bad, is not good anyway. 

I'd suggest recovering from a one off hammering is different to recovering from loss after loss. If we can somehow beat Burnley and maybe get a point vs an on the beach Man City then it won't be so much of an issue. But finishing the season on a historic run of 11 straight losses will take its toll, regardless of the exceptional circumstances. 

We're going to finish the season on one of the lowest points totals ever. Having looked only Sunderland in 06/07 bounced back after a similarly terrible seasons. 

9 hours ago, Norwich R Us said:
I really hope Webber hasn't inadvertently ripped the heart and soul out of his own burgeoning project just to save a bit of money this season.

This is it exactly for me. All the talk about “togetherness” and the bond between club, players and fans has been seriously stretched.

The club hasn’t helped the players (and manager) by recruiting players that can help us compete. And the fans feel let down and embarrassed.

It’s been said on many threads but KC brought it up again this week - there is SURELY a middle ground where we could invest more in players and not risk the financial future of the club. Unless Webber is taking liberties with the word “risk” or the boards risk appetite is infinitesimal.

I don’t really feel Webber owning it. I hear him saying “it’s on me, blame me” but then he goes on to list several reasons why it’s not him.

Huge job on his hands in this shorter off season.

• Like 2

Simple reflection on the increasing importance of finance in football if you want to succeed. If taking part is the limit of ambition we appear well suited to that.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'd suggest recovering from a one off hammering is different to recovering from loss after loss. If we can somehow beat Burnley and maybe get a point vs an on the beach Man City then it won't be so much of an issue. But finishing the season on a historic run of 11 straight losses will take its toll, regardless of the exceptional circumstances. 

We're going to finish the season on one of the lowest points totals ever. Having looked only Sunderland in 06/07 bounced back after a similarly terrible seasons. 

Yep it doesn't bode well for next season. Losing takes it's toll , whoever is playing for you... I think these last games are important for the morale ... lose all of them and I don't think we'll be settling in easily in the Championsip next season! A difficult league without the effects of an eleven game losing streak ...

Never ceases to amaze me why some fans persist in harping back to the standard of football under Hughton and readily describe him as the 'worst manager in our history' and 'the most boring football ever'. Sure, we all agree that it was dire stuff at times and memories of Hughton waving at Bassong to 'stay back' in the dying seconds of the draw at Goodison Park live forever in the memory. Bassong lumbered forward anyway and the rest is history! 

However, in his last eight games in charge, Hughton's record looks positively awesome in comparison to the present incumbent.

WON (!!) 2   DRAW 1  LOST 5 (SEVEN points)

SEVEN goals scored, 15 conceded    

The fella Farke has ZERO points and ONE goal from same said run of matches. I ask again - how on earth is the guy STILL employed?!! Sure as hell would never be allowed to happen at any other club. Farke is under no pressure whatsoever and boy does it show.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

This is it exactly for me. All the talk about “togetherness” and the bond between club, players and fans has been seriously stretched.

The club hasn’t helped the players (and manager) by recruiting players that can help us compete. And the fans feel let down and embarrassed.

It’s been said on many threads but KC brought it up again this week - there is SURELY a middle ground where we could invest more in players and not risk the financial future of the club. Unless Webber is taking liberties with the word “risk” or the boards risk appetite is infinitesimal.

I don’t really feel Webber owning it. I hear him saying “it’s on me, blame me” but then he goes on to list several reasons why it’s not him.

Huge job on his hands in this shorter off season.

i Think Webber can say it is all on me etc as he knows he is safe as houses here 

Every talks about moving on every time he gets a chance that can not be good to hear 

if it was my company i would look for a replacement now who wants to be here long term 

Despite all the obstacles, I still don't believe anyone can make excuses. We have been poor for most of the season for whatever reason. And since returning we have been woeful. Seven games was enough time to show some improvement and we have shown none.

The coaching has been abysmal quite frankly. Even if you cannot replace individuals, you can alter tactics and formations. And we have continued to play the same way. And look worse each game.

I am not unhappy we are leaving the EPL. I find it morally corrupt and all about the top clubs. After the farce of ManC and their farcical reprieve, a Sun reporter said good for them, they are a great club and if they want to spend a £100M on a player its fair enough. No it isn't fair morally. The EPL should be capped as should other European leagues.

That isn't sour grapes just a reasonable way to try and close the gap.

7 hours ago, Norwich R Us said:

But do you think we can just shake this historic level of failiure off? Where will the belief and confidence come from after this savage humiliation? A huge player turnover is my only thought but what does that mean, a brand new squad rebuild? How was that in the project plan?

My fear is the spiralling damage from this white flag season is way beyond what our clearly naive and inexperienced regime were expecting and it could be unrepairable - I can see fan discontent boiling over if we don't hit the ground running nex season and someone very high profile taking the hit for that. 

Interesting times... (Well, off the field at least 😂)

Yes I do. 

And I'd suggest you are projecting your fears onto the team. We don't know how they will react. It was certainly not a white flag season until the shutdown came along. A bad stretch of results for sure, bottom of the table for sure, but we had not given up, we had just reached the quarter finals of the FA Cup, and we were only two wins behind the relegation pack. 

So again, erase what has happened in these last games. Be mentally tough. It's what professionals learn to do to be successful.

16 hours ago, Norwich R Us said:

These escalating levels of failure, bordering on humiliation now, are going to weigh heavily on our players for a long time to come. There's just no way they are going to regain full confidence over such a short preseason.

Time will tell whether the financial savings outweigh the psychological scars but I can't help but think it's going to be incredibly tough to turn things around next season and that will inevitably end with the club and fans coming to blows. 

We could be on course to break a few records this season...

1/ Fewest Goals Scored : 28 (PL 2013/2014)

- we are on 26 goals scored

2/ Fewest wins in a season : 7 (Division One / Premiership, 1973-74, 1978-79, 2004-05)

- we are presently on 5 wins

3/ Most losses in a League Season : 24 (Division Two / Championship, 1938-39, 2008-09)

• we are presently on 25 (achieved!)

4/ Fewest League Points :

2 points for a win : 28 Division Three (South) 1930-31, 1946 - 1947

3 points for a win : 33 Premier League 2004-05, 2013-14

- we are presently on 21 points (with 2 games left; so the maximum we can get is 27 points ... so achieved! Two records broken in one category!!)

5 Most consecutive games lost in a row : 8 and counting! (2020... we could get to 10! - achieved)

A truly record breaking season... and one Lakey, the manager and the club are proud of. To quote Stuart Webber, “we have achieved our best league position since he has been here”.... what a success! (There are only 20 teams in this league 😂)

I can't understand the problem. Surely it's better for a football club  to be owned by 'local' people and have their worst run in 118 years than it is to be owned by 'furiners' and win trophies?

Unfortunately the stats don't lie. This has been city's worst top flight season ever. Whether that be the old first division or the premiership. And Farke has been the worst top flight city manager. 

7 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I can't understand the problem. Surely it's better for a football club  to be owned by 'local' people and have their worst run in 118 years than it is to be owned by 'furiners' and win trophies?

Very true. They are ****. But they are our ****. We don’t want fancy, winning, ****. That **** is for other folk. **** folk with no community. 😂

3 hours ago, City fan said:

Unfortunately the stats don't lie. This has been city's worst top flight season ever. Whether that be the old first division or the premiership. And Farke has been the worst top flight city manager. 

Farke and his supporters love statistics... we had x of the ball, x possession etc but the only stats that count are winning and losing. This season we have broken all the wrong records.

Is Farke the man to turn it around? We will find out soon, but the jury is now out.

Edited by yellow_belly

13 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

but the jury is now out.

The Jury is always ' out ' on managers.......unless they are at the top consistently. That is not realistically achievable for us right now, maybe never. Fans turn quicker than milk on a window sill in summer. It was ever thus and shall be .  Roll on next season. 

On 15/07/2020 at 00:11, Norwich R Us said:

That was a negative and right now I need two positives. You know, one to cancel out the negative and another one just so I can have a positive.

6 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

That was a negative and right now I need two positives. You know, one to cancel out the negative and another one just so I can have a positive.

Yellow and green looks good on a football shirt.

21 hours ago, yellow_belly said:

We could be on course to break a few records this season...

1/ Fewest Goals Scored : 28 (PL 2013/2014)

- we are on 26 goals scored

2/ Fewest wins in a season : 7 (Division One / Premiership, 1973-74, 1978-79, 2004-05)

- we are presently on 5 wins

3/ Most losses in a League Season : 24 (Division Two / Championship, 1938-39, 2008-09)

• we are presently on 25 (achieved!)

4/ Fewest League Points :

2 points for a win : 28 Division Three (South) 1930-31, 1946 - 1947

3 points for a win : 33 Premier League 2004-05, 2013-14

- we are presently on 21 points (with 2 games left; so the maximum we can get is 27 points ... so achieved! Two records broken in one category!!)

5 Most consecutive games lost in a row : 8 and counting! (2020... we could get to 10! - achieved)

A truly record breaking season... and one Lakey, the manager and the club are proud of. To quote Stuart Webber, “we have achieved our best league position since he has been here”.... what a success! (There are only 20 teams in this league 😂)

Yet our squad is worth a record amount