2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I actually see flashes of a pretty decent player in Rupp

I think a lot of us do. As Bethnal says, he has a good character and imo that shows through more than anything in his attitude.  A good technical player too, he may not be all frills and flicks, but that can be a good thing and he should be a solid and reliable choice next season, either as a starter or from the bench - in a young midfield, which we are likely to have, his experience and solid know how may be just what we need at times, if not all the time.

Just to add - he was excellent in the away cup game against Burnley where he played the full 90 minutes.

Edited by lake district canary

Where do we all see his best position. I don't particularly think he is good enough (or rather we have better options) as a forward player.

And don't really see him as a traditional DM. So just a squad player to fill in.

I actually Tommy trybull is better than him, but that may be as trybull is a nailed down DM.

Can I ask why all the hate on trybull and wanting him/expecting him leave? And thoughts on rupp ofcourse?

51 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Why not?

Vrancic and Steiperman are usually facing toward the opposition goal for a start 🤣

He consistently gives the ball away and passes backwards when players are running forwards into space.

It's like Dorrans only more so.

15 minutes ago, Number9 said:

He consistently gives the ball away and passes backwards when players are running forwards into space.

I mean most of our players are guilty of that. Break on? Oh um uh h um I better.. pass it back all the way to the keeper?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Haha 1

It’s noticeable the amount of midfielders we’ve signed shows there’s pretty big changes in that area.

Rupp certainly hasn’t been our worst player, but can’t see him being a regular with the youngsters we’ve bought in.

37 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Our two best chances, mostly the pukki one on one against man City, came from Rupp playing a well weighted lofted through ball.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Our two best chances, mostly the pukki one on one against man City, came from Rupp playing a well weighted lofted through ball.

I respect your opinion and posts, however, that's just one pass out of a whole world of facepalm. 

Just now, Number9 said:

I respect your opinion and posts, however, that's just one pass out of a whole world of facepalm. 

I don't deny his passing has been poor to date so far, just pointing out he was actually alright against Man City and statistically rated our second best performer against them (behind Aaron's and joint with onel).

To me I see him being good for us next season but time will tell.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I don't deny his passing has been poor to date so far, just pointing out he was actually alright against Man City and statistically rated our second best performer against them (behind Aaron's and joint with onel).

To me I see him being good for us next season but time will tell.

Fair enough, but you understand that when Farke says Rupp and McLean have good stats because "they cover an unbelievable amount of ground" I personally take stats with a pinch of salt and resort to what I see him do.

I'd say those balls against City were signs that he's getting used to teammates / the league, not to mention coming back from his litany of injuries.

No-one's said he's been that accurate with his passing so far, but I would say going off balls such as those against City show that if he can get up to speed and if there is an extra couple of gears to come - and it will be easier now he'll have a pre-season to get much more acquainted with his teammates instead of having to improvise a bit on the training ground having been brought in mid-season, he looks potentially useful.

The consistent turning round tells me he's a player who wants to keep the ball, but hasn't quite got used to the runs his teammates make yet. That takes time anyway.

• Like 1

I think Rupp will see plenty of pitch time next season. Some of his passing has been sluggish but he has the chance now to 'acclimatise,' and that extra half a second in midfield from dropping down a division should be a great help to him. From what we've seen of him so far, he adds to the defensive solidity but detracts from the attacking fluency of the team. Hopefully being in the Champo will enable him to be a bit more balanced as he gets to know the squad around him better. He's also one of the more experienced of the group. As I think Bethnal mentioned above, he could be a great option to help clog things up off the bench to protect a lead after 70mins. 

For 5 starting slots in midfield, as things currently stand we have:

Cantwell, Buendia, Onel, Stiepermann, Placheta, Dowell, Josh Martin, Sinani, Tettey, Trybull, Sorensen, Leitner, Sitti, Vrancic, McLean, Louis Thompson & Rupp (along with Gilmour, Adshead, Fitzpatrick... from the u23s.) That's 17 senior players if I haven't missed any. Surely that needs to be trimmed? Loans for u23s and possibly Thompson, Sitti, Josh Martin, Sinani? Permanent moves for Leitner (injured?), Cantwell & Vrancic?

Midfield options in a 4-2-3-1 given the above proposed outs:

Tettey/Trybull        Sorensen/McLean

Buendia/Rupp        Stiepermann/Dowell        Placheta/Onel

Looks good on paper to me. I wonder what Josh Martin makes of all these midfielders in the squad. He'll need to make some serious progress to push for a spot, yet he seems to have been earmarked as the next "starlet" to step up. Quite clever of the club to freshen things up early. More time for the new group to gel, leave the draining relegation in the past & start looking forward. 

Edited by paddycanary
Just noticed a similar discussion on another thread! Apologies!

Lots of people have seen fit to write him off after half a season despite falling in to the same trap during Farke’s first season and declaring Stiepermann, Zimmerman, Vrancic, Trybull, Hernandez etc not good enough for English football and look how that turned out. 

Far better to give players time to adapt to our game and country ie WAIT AND SEE. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Lots of people have seen fit to write him off after half a season despite falling in to the same trap during Farke’s first season and declaring Stiepermann, Zimmerman, Vrancic, Trybull, Hernandez etc not good enough for English football and look how that turned out. 

Far better to give players time to adapt to our game and country ie WAIT AND SEE. 

This above post is spot on. I will judge Rupp on a full pre season and im sure he will have something to offer in the champ. Didnt really show us too much this season.

I think that we should reserve judgement until we see him playing in a team that has a bit more confidence.

What would we have made of Pukki based on the evidence of the last 6 months alone?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Number9 said:

He also played a lovely through-ball to Idah didn't he?

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I think that we should reserve judgement until we see him playing in a team that has a bit more confidence.

What would we have made of Pukki based on the evidence of the last 6 months alone?

I do agree with this and actually made a thread about it.

But... he does look extra crap from what we've seen so far.

4 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

No idah about that pass 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

F***ing hopeless to be fair 😂

4 hours ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Are you sure? 

Look at it again and you'll see Idah standing next to Krul?

Rupp tripping and kicked ball by mistake?

Rupp giving it away as usual but Idah anticipated and it ended up looking like a pass?

Rupp was facing his own goal and didn't know he had passed it until Idah said thanks?

😊

On 30/07/2020 at 18:57, hogesar said:

"statistically rated"

When did this stuff creep into football.

Statistically rated by whom and based upon what? Are there multiple organisations doing the statistical rating thing, are they all consistent, what is the most trusted statistical rating company and why? 

Open my eyes to this new world.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

On 30/07/2020 at 18:14, Number9 said:

Play him on the left then 😇👍😉

He is not terrible but there is nothing he seems particularly good at. Most midfielders have a particular strength to their game - I don’t see one in Rupp.

Makes me think of Clint Easton years ago - every performance would be described as ok, tidy, not bad - but he never ever produced a match winning performance. I think Rupp could end up the same.

On 30/07/2020 at 15:34, Midlands Yellow said:

They tend to when we sell though. 

I believe Maddison was undisclosed, thought to be around £20million which was later confirmed by Webber in passing so to speak - eg; recent interview. Pretty sure the Pritchard fee was undisclosed. I believe it's part of the contract process, sometimes clubs like to disclose fees to make a statement in some way or another. 

Rupp.

I get the same impression of his performances as we did when we first saw Vrancic play and I rated Vrancic from the first glimpses of him in his first games for us. I could be wrong, but didn't Farke play him on the right a fair bit when he first came as well?

I have had a few amateur managers in my footballing days that used wide positions to blood players and introduce them into the team. Perhaps because wide positions tend to be seen as less risky places to get a look at a player, or to get them up to speed with a new level or league etc.

I have seen wingers started out as full backs as well, to ensure they grasp defensive discipline before being given more licence to get forward having earned their spurs so to speak.

I have been impressed with qualities Rupp brings to the side. His energy and tenacity is brilliant. People go on about stats and how they can be misleading, but covering ground is quite important. I believe when we won promotion with Farke our lads had covered the most ground on average.

His movement is also good. In one of his first games he made a superb run forward that broke an offside trap and ghosted beyond a couple of defenders. Part of that also resulted in him coming the closest to scoring in a couple of games too. I know highlights don't paint the entire picture but to say that he doesn't pass forward is just not true. To say he loses the ball - in this team, is far from always his issue.

Buendia, as much as people swoon after his forward play, also gives the ball away frequently in our own half which is why Farke has had a hard time playing him when we have been defensively frail. Trying to dribble past three players on the edge of the oppo box - fine, on the edge of our own box... I seem to remember Worthington saying something like that of Marc Libra...

Rupp's first start Vs Spurs away - note the roll he plays in our best moments. Often winning the ball back, often passing the ball forward, often to good effect - 

Rupp's 2nd appearance was the next game in the FA cup away at Burnley. Again, note Rupp's forward play (2nd half mainly in highlights)  -