10 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He used to be very good in Germany but had a nasty injury and hasn’t seemed to recover what he once was.

Is that Rupp, Drmic, Duda, Leitner, Trybul, Heise, Fahrmann, Srbeny or Stiepermann that you are talking about?

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If we'd signed Pukki in January we'd probably be saying that he is absolutely terrible, today he did a Van Wolfswinkel and passed to nobody, food for thought.

He was hoping Idah would make the run, but the problem is, when our strikers are having to defend too, they can’t be at both ends of the pitch

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If we'd signed Pukki in January we'd probably be saying that he is absolutely terrible, today he did a Van Wolfswinkel and passed to nobody, food for thought.

I was thinking that the other day, actually. We've been banging on about how bad Drmic, Duda and Rupp have been but Pukki has certainly been no better since January, and if anything, he's been worse.

10 hours ago, paddycanary said:

A small positive to give a little bit of balance. We seem to concede less when he's on the pitch. He covers lots of ground between our box and the halfway line, turning players and doing a bit of shielding. Not too much else though. He is finding his feet post-Covid stoppage, with a team low on confidence, rock bottom, already relegated, behind closed doors in the toughest of leagues. He may yet prove a useful signing and didn't cost too much. 

You don't know how much he cost

It would possibly help if someone turned him round so he kicked the ball forwards instead of back every time. 

He might just be facing the wrong way....

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You don't know how much he cost

True enough. If my memory serves, something like an "initial ÂŁ500,000"

Just now, paddycanary said:

True enough. If my memory serves, something like an "initial ÂŁ500,000"

The club doesn't make numbers public so that's a guess by whoever.

There's no escaping the fact that the guy isn't good enough. One thing we did well last season, and in fleeting glimpses this season, (i.e. against Man City) was put short passes together in triangles, one touch stuff within our own half and shifting the ball quickly out of defence to catch the opposition out in the transition. That is not technically difficult stuff and is the least you should expect of a professional, it's just getting people in the right place and making sure your short passes are accurate. Rupp cannot play like that, I've watched a number of moves like that break down when he gets involved, he holds onto it too long or misplaces easy short balls. If he gets near the goal he panics like he's just heard Carole Baskin won't call off the engagement. Drmic also suffers from the same syndrome, he misplaces so many short balls it's unbelievable.

So if he's not a Tettey type player and cannot make a pass stick, what the hell do we actually need him for? We've got plenty of weak midfielders who are possibly more reliable. The Championship isn't full of trash, he won't be good enough there either - total myth that the standard is low enough to carry poor individuals.

Not a fan!

• Like 1

He'll no doubt hit the ground running so hard at the onset of the next season......and so therefore will probably be out injured for the rest of it....

I'm afraid that Rupp appears, at best, to be a water carrier, but with a large hole in his bucket.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

It would possibly help if someone turned him round so he kicked the ball forwards instead of back every time. 

He might just be facing the wrong way....

Interesting comment Number 9 because I feel the whole team suffers from that problem. I think it is a tactical issue in that there is far too much short passing to players already closely marked and so it forces them to turn back in an attempt to retain possession. For example we continually see us having the ball say 30 yards out from the opponents goal but it finishes up with Krul. Apart from Vrancic we have nobody capable of playing the ball forward in to space. From the statistical  viewpoint it reflects we have plenty of possession i.e. West Ham game, but we are getting nowhere. We were much better at this last season but the Premiership sides seem to close us down very easily.

• Like 1

Rupp might be ok and turn out to be a useful addition for next season but he wasn't what was needed at the time.

There were far greater priorities required than a hardworking, run of the mill defensive midfielder.

That was Oh, so obvious!

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, vos said:

Interesting comment Number 9 because I feel the whole team suffers from that problem. I think it is a tactical issue in that there is far too much short passing to players already closely marked and so it forces them to turn back in an attempt to retain possession. For example we continually see us having the ball say 30 yards out from the opponents goal but it finishes up with Krul. Apart from Vrancic we have nobody capable of playing the ball forward in to space. From the statistical  viewpoint it reflects we have plenty of possession i.e. West Ham game, but we are getting nowhere. We were much better at this last season but the Premiership sides seem to close us down very easily.

McLean does this alot, hospital passes, where the person being passed to is marked tightly already. 

I can remember how ordinary our initial batch of foreign signings looked in Farke’s first season.....not saying that Rupp (or Drmic) will improve like any of those players did but given a part season to settle in he might turn out to be a much better player than he looks now. Certainly not beyond the realms of possibility. 

We can't afford to name non homegrown  make weights in our first team squad. Trybull has proven to be capable in the Chump and Tettey has one more year. Plus we have Sorensen coming in. It didn't work out, time to move Rupp on.

Went mining to see if there's a thread on him and found it.

I actually see flashes of a pretty decent player in Rupp - but the circumstances he joined in and inability to really get used to teammates means he's some way off the pace so looks like he drags the team back a bit. When you've got a new player who's been out for a long time and then comes to a team that is struggling, it's often extremely difficult to get in and do well, and I think this is part of the problem why he's not looked all that good so far.

I like the comparisons with Vrancic and Stiepermann as players who didn't start very well but later became extremely valuable to us, and would really not be surprised if Rupp did the same. He played in some matches instead of Buendia and was much more responsible off the ball, helping us keep shape and discharging his defensive duties well. I also suspect, as was the case with both Vrancic and Stiepermann early in their careers with us, that he's also not being played in his best position. He's not really a winger/wide midfielder for me.

In fact, I would say he's more of a central attacking midfielder with box-to-box tendencies. I suspect he'll find game time both in defensive and attacking midfield next season, or as a player to shut the door a bit coming off the bench. But he needs a good pre-season under his belt, probably more than most.

On 15/07/2020 at 10:19, Number9 said:

The club doesn't make numbers public so that's a guess by whoever.

They tend to when we sell though. 

22 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Went mining to see if there's a thread on him and found it.

I actually see flashes of a pretty decent player in Rupp - but the circumstances he joined in and inability to really get used to teammates means he's some way off the pace so looks like he drags the team back a bit. When you've got a new player who's been out for a long time and then comes to a team that is struggling, it's often extremely difficult to get in and do well, and I think this is part of the problem why he's not looked all that good so far.

I like the comparisons with Vrancic and Stiepermann as players who didn't start very well but later became extremely valuable to us, and would really not be surprised if Rupp did the same. He played in some matches instead of Buendia and was much more responsible off the ball, helping us keep shape and discharging his defensive duties well. I also suspect, as was the case with both Vrancic and Stiepermann early in their careers with us, that he's also not being played in his best position. He's not really a winger/wide midfielder for me.

In fact, I would say he's more of a central attacking midfielder with box-to-box tendencies. I suspect he'll find game time both in defensive and attacking midfield next season, or as a player to shut the door a bit coming off the bench. But he needs a good pre-season under his belt, probably more than most.

Rupp started his career as a right winger, and has played there throughout his time in German. I suspect the injuries he has sustained have meant he has lost the pace that is needed to figure there anymore. 

I think he can be a decent-to-good backwards/forwards midfielder in the Championship. A bit of a workhorse in the midfield to help other, more creative players to flourish. One of his biggest strengths has always been his good character and attitude in the dressing room and helping younger players integrate into teams. The fee to sign him was suppose to be around €500k and he won't be on massive wages. I hope he is more of a squad player next season who comes of the bench to clog up midfield when Norwich need to manage games a little better (this was a weakness in the Championship winning season). 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Rupp started his career as a right winger, and has played there throughout his time in German. I suspect the injuries he has sustained have meant he has lost the pace that is needed to figure there anymore. 

I think he can be a decent-to-good backwards/forwards midfielder in the Championship. A bit of a workhorse in the midfield to help other, more creative players to flourish. One of his biggest strengths has always been his good character and attitude in the dressing room and helping younger players integrate into teams. The fee to sign him was suppose to be around €500k and he won't be on massive wages. I hope he is more of a squad player next season who comes of the bench to clog up midfield when Norwich need to manage games a little better (this was a weakness in the Championship winning season). 

Fair enough, I wasn't sure where he started in terms of position, but thought he was more of an attacking midfielder. Obviously I got that one wrong.

42 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I agree with those bits đź‘Ť

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Fair enough, I wasn't sure where he started in terms of position, but thought he was more of an attacking midfielder. Obviously I got that one wrong.

Have you ever watched him play?

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

Have you ever watched him play?

Not in Germany.

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not in Germany.

Watching him play here doesn't really fill me with confidence that he was like Messi in Deutschland. 

16 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Watching him play here doesn't really fill me with confidence that he was like Messi in Deutschland. 

Watching Vrancic and Stiepermann early on didn't fill many people with confidence either. Then one ended up with a Player of the Month award in the Championship and the other was widely seen as a key cog in our attack when finally moved to his strongest position.

Vrancic suffered due to needing to accommodate Maddison back then, but then came good further back.

Edited by TheGunnShow

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Watching Vrancic and Stiepermann early on didn't fill many people with confidence either. Then one ended up with a Player of the Month award in the Championship and the other was widely seen as a key cog in our attack when finally moved to his strongest position.

Vrancic suffered due to needing to accommodate Maddison back then, but then came good further back.

You can't compare Rupp with Vrancic & Steiperman. 

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Why not?

Don’t stop him for Christ’s sake, he may be about to say they’re good and that would be the first positive thing I’ve seen him say this year.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Why not?

I remember the abuse I got for suggesting Vrancic might be a half-decent player during his first season.

Of course they're comparable.

If anything, Rupp should have a bit more lee-way than they did, coming in whilst the team was underperforming, midway through a season from a different league.