I dont know if this is a previous thread but....

Does anybody think he is any good? He is one for trying but looks so out of his depth and awful. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him and he'll do well in championship. But all I see him do is lose the ball and give away needless fouls

Just now, Flying Dutchman said:

You know, I don't think this has ever been brought up actually.

I hint sarcasm 🤣

He used to be very good in Germany but had a nasty injury and hasn’t seemed to recover what he once was. I would say with a good pre-season he might be able to raise his level but it will be a weird short one this season. 

It is hard for any player to come in and impress in a club that has been on such a downward slide so hopefully he’ll be able to get a fresh start next season. I’ll also add that it has taken many of the signings from Germany a while to adapt - Stiepermann and Vrancic especially.  

I must admit though, that at times Rupp does come across as a German Andy Hughes. Lots of running back and forth but seems to panic whenever he actually has the ball. 

• Like 2

Just doesn’t look like he’s on the same wave length as everyone else. That might come with time. But it certainly singles him out for criticism as moves seem to break down around him. 

• Like 2

His touch is awful but at least we’re noticing him so he is involved. Has anyone seen McLean? I’ve seen more of the invisible man.

I believe it took him until the 43rd min to have his first touch. That’s unbelievable for a guy playing in centre mid! 

• Haha 2

McLean has been quite invisible whereas I actually wish Rupp had been in that first half!

27 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He used to be very good in Germany but had a nasty injury and hasn’t seemed to recover what he once was. I would say with a good pre-season he might be able to raise his level but it will be a weird short one this season. 

It is hard for any player to come in and impress in a club that has been on such a downward slide so hopefully he’ll be able to get a fresh start next season. I’ll also add that it has taken many of the signings from Germany a while to adapt - Stiepermann and Vrancic especially.  

I must admit though, that at times Rupp does come across as a German Andy Hughes. Lots of running back and forth but seems to panic whenever he actually has the ball. 

Oh dear god! You had to mention Andy Hughes.....I cant imagine a German Andy Hughes! Herr Hughes!

• Haha 1

He has been responsible for us losing the rare spells of possession too many times.

Disappointing but let's hope a sharper Rupp at a lower level will be decent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Just a dreadful footballer, I have seen nothing from him to think he'll be able to cut it in the Championship 

To be fair you could say that about all our players, and most of them have a medal for being the best in the championship.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Well put.

For me, the worst player on the pitch tonight. I get he's returning from injury. I get he might show his qualities next season. But as a signing this season he's been another unmitigated disaster. 

Bad without the ball and fcuking useless with it. You don't need to trawl round europe for that sort of rubbish, plenty around for free in Britain. Fact we are constantly looking for midfielders suggests he might not figure that much next season.

Now that Duda has gone (thank the lord) we're all turning our attention to Rupp then 😆

I would like Webber to give more consideration to recent form and pay far less attention to what a player looked like three years ago.

Players decline. Drmic of 2020 is never going to be Drmic of 2015. Its like that time Stoke signed Michael Owen.

A small positive to give a little bit of balance. We seem to concede less when he's on the pitch. He covers lots of ground between our box and the halfway line, turning players and doing a bit of shielding. Not too much else though. He is finding his feet post-Covid stoppage, with a team low on confidence, rock bottom, already relegated, behind closed doors in the toughest of leagues. He may yet prove a useful signing and didn't cost too much. 

I mean, he has a good engine and presses well and I actually think he will be useful next season but all of that is pointless if you lose the ball in the middle of the park as much as he has done sometimes. And someone provided me the stats recently on here which says that isnt a one off unfortuantely.

13 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

A small positive to give a little bit of balance. We seem to concede less when he's on the pitch. He covers lots of ground between our box and the halfway line, turning players and doing a bit of shielding. Not too much else though. He is finding his feet post-Covid stoppage, with a team low on confidence, rock bottom, already relegated, behind closed doors in the toughest of leagues. He may yet prove a useful signing and didn't cost too much. 

I’d be happy with him next to Tettey as 2x DM. As a more forward player he offers nothing.

If we'd signed Pukki in January we'd probably be saying that he is absolutely terrible, today he did a Van Wolfswinkel and passed to nobody, food for thought.

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I’d be happy with him next to Tettey as 2x DM. As a more forward player he offers nothing.

Curious to know how that will develop for another promotion.     Assuming we are in the mix for promotion, Tettey will be too old for the EPL by next year (he's never been effective enough to make a difference in any event) and Rupp can't trap a ball so at this stage of his career is never going to be good enough.   

In accordance with our development plan, surely for it to be credible, we have to offload those players that couldn't step up this season (Klose, Leitner, Rupp, Stiepermann, Trybull and Drmic), (Vrancic could potentially do a job next season) and go again with players that might have the potential to thrive in the EPL.     Players with some pace and power and leadership skills who are going to move the ball well whilst being physically competitive.    Continuing with those players listed (apart from the fact that their motivation is unlikely to return to the extend of last season) it puts pressure on the budget if we do go up as they will all need replacing for another tilt at the EPL.   It would be gross incompetence to believe that any of them could contribute at the EPL level.   

We have to trust that Stuart and Daniel will understand this and show a ruthless streak to get us back on track quickly.   

9 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Ouch Bethnal- the German Andy Hughes 😅 that is really damning...