Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

2017......2020 A remarkable transformation

In 2017 - Club in the financial do-do. Clear out of players necessary, but mostly very little value in them in terms of transfer fees, potential serious repercussions if wage bill not cleared, perhaps leading to administration. Whole new squad from scratch, on very little money, poor facilities at the Academy.

In 2020 - Club completely out of the do-do with strong finances and a good business plan. Fantastic state of the art Academy facilities, the playing squad value vastly in excess of it's original cost and asset rich in terms of players, all of who have a value, either as players for the club or in selling on in transfer fees. Money in the bank for buying players.

A success story that is unrivalled anywhere in the football league - superb success on the field to get promoted and a turn around of fortune that most clubs can only dream of, with the success of the promotion season and a financially consolidating season in the premier league.

The only downside - relegation from the PL, but the club still buoyant both in terms of players and finances, unlike other clubs relegated who will face difficult choices.

All in all, the turn round has been remarkable - a sucess story any club would be proud of - and yet there are apparently people who can't see it and who want change - the only reason being they think the club is being held back through lack of money.  Well if the last three years are anything to go by, money is not the only requirement - good owners and the right set up are way more important.

We have that.

Edited by lake district canary

Hi Lakey,

Can you tell us who the bad owners were that led to 2018 being close to a  financial disaster? 

Also the change in leagues? 

Thanks.

Ps 2018-19 was a fantastic season - well done to all involved.

2019 -20 was a dreadful season and we have gone backwards. Changes needed asap.

2020 - 21 hopefully lessons learnt.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In 2017 - Club in the financial do-do. Clear out of players necessary, but mostly very little value in them in terms of transfer fees, potential serious repercussions if wage bill not cleared, perhaps leading to administration. Whole new squad from scratch, on very little money, poor facilities at the Academy.

In 2020 - Club completely out of the do-do with strong finances and a good business plan. Fantastic state of the art Academy facilities, the playing squad value vastly in excess of it's original cost and asset rich in terms of players, all of who have a value, either as players for the club or in selling on in transfer fees. Money in the bank for buying players.

A success story that is unrivalled anywhere in the football league - superb success on the field to get promoted and a turn around of fortune that most clubs can only dream of, with the success of the promotion season and a financially consolidating season in the premier league.

The only downside - relegation from the PL, but the club still buoyant both in terms of players and finances, unlike other clubs relegated who will face difficult choices.

All in all, the turn round has been remarkable - a sucess story any club would be proud of - and yet there are apparently people who can't see it and who want change - the only reason being they think the club is being held back through lack of money.  Well if the last three years are anything to go by, money is not the only requirement - good owners and the right set up are way more important.

We have that.

That’s your poorest effort ever trying to endorse the clubs regime. 

That's like trump saying he'd saved the economy as 1.3 million jobs created in June was a record. Conveniently forgetting the 8million lost in the previous 3 months.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Hi Lakey,

Can you tell us who the bad owners were that led to 2018 being close to a  financial disaster? 

Also the change in leagues? 

Thanks.

McNally, as the footballing overseer was the main reason for that......you could blame the owners for having him there, I suppose, but then we wouldn't have had the Lambert years because McNally wouldn't have been there to instigate them.....

People seem to want it all ways.

Edited by lake district canary

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

McNally, as the footballing overseer was the main reason for that......you could blame the owners for having him there, I suppose, but then we wouldn't have had the Lambert years because McNally wouldn't have been there to instigate them.....

As Nutty has said quite a few times- some posters refuse to give credit to Delia & Michael when things go well but will assign blame when it doesn't

You're doing the same here- when it goes well it is because of them, when it goes badly the blame goes to McNally.

• Like 3

I must say i was expecting this not at 3.30pm on a Tuesday afternoon but by yesterday lunchtime at the latest Lakey. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

As Nutty has said quite a few times- some posters refuse to give credit to Delia & Michael when things go well but will assign blame when it doesn't

You're doing the same here- when it goes well it is because of them, when it goes badly the blame goes to McNally.

Do not forget that back in 2009 Mcnally was seen as the saviour rather like when Webber came onboard in 2017 but at that time Munby and Doomcaster were seen as the bad guys for the period they were running the club. Only a few short years before that together with Gordon Bennett they were credited with pulling us back from the brink after the Chase years.

Football is a funny old game.

Edited by TIL 1010

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

What is better? Keeping the same systems in place that got you in a mess or changing them for something better, which is what they did.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Also, I don't like narrative anyway because now McNally is painted in a bad light for how things ended. The reality is overall he done much, much more good than he did bad here and as Webber correctly states, people in those positions aren't at clubs forever and all they can do is leave the club in a better state than they found it. McNally done that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Also, I don't like narrative anyway because now McNally is painted in a bad light for how things ended. The reality is overall he done much, much more good than he did bad here and as Webber correctly states, people in those positions aren't at clubs forever and all they can do is leave the club in a better state than they found it. McNally done that!

Don't forget that Webber claimed when he arrived that the club had pissed £100 million up the wall so that was aimed at McNally or the board or maybe both.

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes you do.... The owners who employ people that work at the club, have had good years and bad years. They are not the footballing God's you seem to want to portray them as....

They have established a good platform but I feel it's time to hand over to someone that can push us on. 

We are back in the same division as we were in 2018 and only next season will see if we are stronger and better. I for one hope we are....

Edited by Kenny Foggo

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Don't forget that Webber claimed when he arrived that the club had pissed £100 million up the wall so that was aimed at McNally or the board or maybe both.

True, naturally I think both have to take responsibility for it. McNally's decision making was poor at the end, but the board let him make those decisions...

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

What is better? Keeping the same systems in place that got you in a mess or changing them for something better, which is what they did.

Changing it obviously but that isn't the point.

If you want to give McNally all the blame for the finanical state in 2017 then you surely have to give Webber all the credit for what happened afterwards?

Just as if you want to blame the owners for League One you have to give them credit for hiring McNally/Lambert and getting us out of it.

Just now, hogesar said:

True, naturally I think both have to take responsibility for it. McNally's decision making was poor at the end, but the board let him make those decisions...

Personally I don't think the board deserve too much stick for what happened then- they gave McNally and Neil a budget and left them to it within reason- which is what I want the owners to do.

They do deserve some stick for the Moxey debacle and hanging on to Neil for far too long.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Personally I don't think the board deserve too much stick for what happened then- they gave McNally and Neil a budget and left them to it within reason- which is what I want the owners to do.

They do deserve some stick for the Moxey debacle and hanging on to Neil for far too long.

You could argue that they never invested enough in the summer and then panicked in the winter window and now rather than do better in those markets they refuse to do it again.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's hard though. You do want owners to leave the people qualified to do their roles to uhh...do their roles.

But i'd argue that letting Roeder sign a million loan players deserves criticism. At the end of the day they are the board and I don't think it's right or fair to say "Well we left McNally to it and he f*cked it up it's not our fault", just like I don't think it's fair to say "Well, McNally done all the work and the board had nothing to do with it so they get no credit".

Semantics though, really.

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

You could argue that they never invested enough in the summer and then panicked in the winter window and now rather than do better in those markets they refuse to do it again.

From what I know of that season I don't think it was on them- McNally went hard after players who were probably a bit out of our league and then didn't have a backup in place when he couldn't get those over the line. I think Kalidou Koulibaly was one.

The board put a team in place to make these decisions. That's sensible. So I guess all the good or bad decisions this team makes they are ultimately responsible for. 

What we can't have is the weather house effect. That really isn't an option we are left with.

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He left with the Academy needing serious money spent on it because it had been neglected on his watch and the sale of Maddison required to prevent financial meltdown.

57 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We have that.

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!(Mk 3)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

We have that.

Glad to read that Lakey has highlighted that Delia & Co (mis)Managed NCFC into near administration only a few years ago... repeating her near miss when McNally and Bowkett (saved) us at the 11th hour C. a decade before. The old girl is doing well! 

Thanks Lakey for the heads up!

(You will be flying that ‘Delia Out’ plane over Norwich soon 😂)

Edited by yellow_belly

To those who purposely mis-represent what is written by supportive people and say they are in some kind of "everything is wonderful" la la land, you do yourselves and your argument no credit. I don't think anyone thinks that the majority shareholders are perfect and that they haven't made mistakes along the way - of course they have, football is a hugely uncertain business and mistakes are part of the day to day life of a football club. 

What is important is how you deal with those mistakes, once made. Now I could go through the history books and dissect every little thing that has happened in the last twenty five/six years, but there is no need.....someone said earlier about making the club better than it was when you started there....well there isn't much doubt that NCFC is in a vastly improved situation. 

If they had led the club during the lean times and it needed to go into administration, then fair enough, it would be time for them to go get someone else in, hopefully with much more money in....but they didn't lead it into administration, each time things happened, they responded - they listened - and they saw it through into something better.  The best form of running a big institution is not running it as a one man show with one person's ego dominating, which is what so many other clubs do (quite often to the detriment to the club involved - Ipswich and Newcastle come to mind) - the best way is to delegate to good people and trust them to get on with it.  

So yes, they have made mistakes, but they have rectified them. Now I know the gripe has been about this season, but really, does anyone really think the injuries didn't have some part in our loss of momentum?  That the lockdown and restart hasn't affected us and other teams at the bottom disproportionally? (the stats bear this out btw.) 

Running a football club is not an easy gig, it is frought with all sorts of unknowns and difficulties, even in an ordinary season, let alone one like this which has been extraordinary.  The present era is one of rebuild and development and it is on course both financially and with the players, with the emphasis on young players coming through.  Seems to me some people have no stomach for long term strategies and would throw away the baby with the bath water. Too many "I want it and I want it now"  people.  Yes, there are legitimate concerns well put, but the overall noise is just that....noise.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We have that.

Indeed Lakey the ups and downs of a club between the divisions. Some good some bad but overall, we have a great foundation to build on......👍

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We have that.

Could not have  written it better myself..spot on Lakey.  I even said in a recent post of mine that this season has been successful...i stick with that...i talk about the club in general, not whats happened on the pitch...the success was due, yes, to DF and the players hauling us up into the Prem earlier than expected, after a joyous season, which has turned out to be  importantly successful, given the effects of this year and the Covid 19 happenings.

We are as about as strong as we can be in the circumstances and as ever the  comings and goings will happen then on to a new season, but i am happy that the club are in a stronger position than jjust 3 years ago. I  sigh at those wanting Delia to go, or DF to go...or some miracle worker to take this club to the next level...which ive mentioned a few times recently...that next level....yea...

1st division Champs 1987...FA Cup winners 1995...the next 25 years....perennial Premier survivors so a quarter of a century of continuous Premier funds...but won zilch and still a million  miles away from being on a par with the top 6 or 7...thats Everton for ya...thats the Prem for ya..thats the boring next level for ya...thats the reality for ya.

On 14/07/2020 at 15:27, lake district canary said:

We have that.

We could be on course to break a few records this season...

1/ Fewest Goals Scored : 28 (PL 2013/2014)

- we are on 26 goals scored

2/ Fewest wins in a season : 7 (Division One / Premiership, 1973-74, 1978-79, 2004-05)

- we are presently on 5 wins

3/ Most losses in a League Season : 24 (Division Two / Championship, 1938-39, 2008-09)

• we are presently on 25 (achieved!)

4/ Fewest League Points :

2 points for a win : 28 Division Three (South) 1930-31, 1946 - 1947

3 points for a win : 33 Premier League 2004-05, 2013-14

- we are presently on 21 points (with 2 games left; so the maximum we can get is 27 points ... so achieved! Two records broken in one category!!)

5 Most consecutive games lost in a row : 8 and counting! (2020... we could get to 10! - achieved)

A truly record breaking season... and one Lakey, the manager and the club are proud of. To quote Stuart Webber, “we have achieved our best league position since he has been here”.... what a success! (There are only 20 teams in this league 😂)