Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Martin Samuel and Curtis Woodhouse

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

If only there was some way a player could sometimes struggle with positional discipline but other times get it right. 

But those are the only two types of positional discipline. 

Stupid argument, isn't it?

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Stupid argument, isn't it?

That a team's ability to change the approach that dictated player recruitment is comparable to a player's tendency to move between being defensively disciplined and positionally naive? 

Yes. It is. 

Woodhouse was spot on, but I don't really know what other option we had given the injuries and lack of money spent. The chap in the daily mail, what an absolute gob****e, "Give their money to Villa" is the most ludicrous thing I have read all season and thats including all the crap around project restart!

• Like 1

My real criticism of DF. We will go down with the ship but we will salute doing it, while singing OTBC

If you cannot or will not try something different the you are not a good coach.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

A journo who loves clickbait (as they all do) and a footballer who was so bad he became a boxer before trying again to be a footballer.

I think if somebody can play 150 Championship games, quit the sport to become a boxer at 26 and go on to win an English title and then a British title, then I think its safe to say that they are a very talented athlete. Ask any boxer whether that's a remarkable feat or not. Ask Leon McKenzie.

On 14/07/2020 at 15:56, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

For me they key is, could Norwich play another way?

Would things have been better if they hit longer, direct passes to Pukki or is bobbins in the air? 

The squad was built to play a certain style and would not be adept at playing anything radically different. There are small changes that could have been made here and there and I do actually think we saw changes to the game plan through the season. Ultimately the squad is a bit one dimensional so was always going to struggle for a ‘Plan B’. 

While these two have seen it fit to criticise Norwich for not changing their style, others have praised them for it. Personally I’m glad the club didn’t try to make some patchwork plan and get caught between two stalls stylistically - but also agree that Farke is definitely not a pragmatist and has a strong belief in his method. As I’ve said elsewhere, that determination and self assured confidence is both a strength and a weakness. 

We could only have changed style with different personnel.  We have no experienced,  physically well built, brick wall, ball playing type of players and to buy any that would adapt to the requirements of EPL would have cost tens of millions, and undoubtedly such a player would turn his nose up at coming to lil ole Norwich anyway.  We truly didn't have a choice but to play the way we have.  The big question now is having learnt the hard way, can we find the "spine" Woodhouse says we require, other than grow our own?

Edited by shefcanary
mispelling

On 14/07/2020 at 14:38, vlad666 said:

If farke had brought a load of new players in, he could maybe be blamed for the failings. As it is his hands have been tied. With the group of players he has, zonal or man marking wouldn’t make much difference. The facts are we have a physically small and weak side. Something that is being addressed. 
The main gripe for me, which can be sorted with these players, is not pushing both full backs on at the same time. If Lewis goes forward arrons  stays back and vice versa. All to often our attack breaks down and one ball forward and our cbs are exposed. 

If you include this transfer window, Farke has brought in a load of new players, almost 50 so far! 

I'm blaming him for the failings, as you suggest. 

On 14/07/2020 at 15:37, kirku said:

The squad only has the numbers and the profile to play in a few ways - physical, direct and "pragmatic" isn't one of them.

Seen some people call for similar in the remaining games asking for us to "park the bus". With what? 4 fit defenders and Tettey?

Martin Samuel has done his shock jock routine for clicks and views, but his article is so devoid of detailed context as to be complete nonsense. 

Because Farke has brought in players which left us with an unbalanced squad not fit for purpose. 

21 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Tell me about it. Or tell Farke actually, how he can make his players tougher, stronger and taller so that they can play both types of football. 

We invested and recruited players based on a philosophy, to tell said players to play a different way for certain games would have seen us really give Derby's record a good go. 

I think some people think Football Manager is a reflection of real life. Why didn't Farke just press pause and change the mentality from Attacking to Ultra Defensive, the idiot? It got me a 0-0 at the Nou Camp so could easily have bagged us more points against Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd. 

Or ask him why he has bought players like that and continues to?

10 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Or ask him why he has bought players like that and continues to?

Erm, because he intends to continue playing in accordance with that philosophy. 

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Erm, because he intends to continue playing in accordance with that philosophy. 

Tell me about it. Or tell Farke actually, how he can make his players tougher, stronger and taller so that they can play both types of football

You asked how he can have a squad suitable for purpose, I suggested for you that he could change his squad buy bringing in suitable players rather than adding to his collection of attacking midfielders. 

His philosophy is outdated and has been proven quite clearly to not be suitable for purpose. 

Edited by Number9

All I'm reading is excuses.

There is evidence that the team must have trained for three at the back. Yet we have only used it with five minutes to go and losing.

So neither Buendia or Cantwell couldn't play in the middle?

If people are convinced we brought in players who are trained all to just play one tactic or style then I don't believe them.

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Tell me about it. Or tell Farke actually, how he can make his players tougher, stronger and taller so that they can play both types of football

You asked how he can have a squad suitable for purpose, I suggested for you that he could change his squad buy bringing in suitable players rather than adding to his collection of attacking midfielders. 

His philosophy is outdated and has been proven quite clearly to not be suitable for purpose. 

Yeah ok mate.

14 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Yeah ok mate.

Hope you don't mind me asking, you have seen the League table during this season haven't you?

27 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Hope you don't mind me asking, you have seen the League table during this season haven't you?

In keeping with my dislike of idiotic questions, yes, I do mind. 

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

In keeping with my dislike of idiotic questions, yes, I do mind. 

Farke has brought in many many players and determined the way he feels they should play. 

It's been setting all sorts of records as the worst ever.

He has to be responsible for that.

A) he could have brought in different players. 

B) he could have told them to play a different way.

30 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Farke has brought in many many players and determined the way he feels they should play. 

It's been setting all sorts of records as the worst ever.

He has to be responsible for that.

A) he could have brought in different players. 

B) he could have told them to play a different way.

Bet you've won the Champions League on Football Manager. 

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

Because Farke has brought in players which left us with an unbalanced squad not fit for purpose. 

Webber or Farke? 

Its not always been clear.

4 hours ago, Number9 said:

Webber buys the players and if we couldn't afford to strengthen the team in general, what do you propose as an alternative? 

5 hours ago, Number9 said:

I think you directing all this at Farke is misplaced at best, grossly unfair might be a better call.

Firstly, critisicing the playing philosophy and leaving it at Farkes door ignores the fact it's a philosophy identified by the footballing board - Webber wanted that style and employed a head coach who he believed could implement it. And in a relatively short timeframe it proved capable of taking a bunch of average players from the second, third and even fourth tiers of other leagues into a championship winning side. 

That philosophy is now emulated throughout the club and the age ranges providing a more fluid progression for youth players coming into the firs team. Again, all part of the philosophy of the club. Not Farke individually.

Then the unbalanced squad you refer to, again I'm afraid Farke is said to have the final say but players are presented by Webber and the scouting team.

So laying all this at Farkes door is actually more unbalanced than our squad.

9 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Bet you've won the Champions League on Football Manager. 

🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Webber or Farke? 

Its not always been clear.

8 hours ago, kirku said:

Webber buys the players and if we couldn't afford to strengthen the team in general, what do you propose as an alternative? 

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think you directing all this at Farke is misplaced at best, grossly unfair might be a better call.

Firstly, critisicing the playing philosophy and leaving it at Farkes door ignores the fact it's a philosophy identified by the footballing board - Webber wanted that style and employed a head coach who he believed could implement it. And in a relatively short timeframe it proved capable of taking a bunch of average players from the second, third and even fourth tiers of other leagues into a championship winning side. 

That philosophy is now emulated throughout the club and the age ranges providing a more fluid progression for youth players coming into the firs team. Again, all part of the philosophy of the club. Not Farke individually.

Then the unbalanced squad you refer to, again I'm afraid Farke is said to have the final say but players are presented by Webber and the scouting team.

So laying all this at Farkes door is actually more unbalanced than our squad.

I agree that football philosophy is not just an individual decision by Farke.

However, to suggest that the other voices in the room would disagree with spending time on the training ground focusing on reducing the goals conceded is laughable. 

I agree that recruitment of players is not just an individual decision by Farke. 

However, to suggest that the other voices in the room insist on bringing in players which Farke doesn't want is laughable. 

I agree that more people are responsible for the clubs situation than just the manager,  and Webber et al should be held to account as Farke's employers who have allowed the situation to develop. 

4 hours ago, Number9 said:

I agree that recruitment of players is not just an individual decision by Farke. 

However, to suggest that the other voices in the room insist on bringing in players which Farke doesn't want is laughable. 

My understanding is that the scouting and recruitment team, headed up by Webber, are the one who pick and choose targets, with Farke having input on the profile of player he'd like. This is the model on continent, I believe.

Expecting Farke to be able to concentrate on the first team matters and also have an opinion on Patrick Roberts or Melvin Sitti doesn't strike me as particularly realistic.

Edited by kirku

1 hour ago, kirku said:

My understanding is that the scouting and recruitment team, headed up by Webber, are the one who pick and choose targets, with Farke having input on the profile of player he'd like. This is the model on continent, I believe.

Expecting Farke to be able to concentrate on the first team matters and also have an opinion on Patrick Roberts or Melvin Sitti doesn't strike me as particularly realistic.

I would suggest for him not to have an opinion is entirely unrealistic. 

6 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I would suggest for him not to have an opinion is entirely unrealistic. 

So you think that the First Team coach of a Premier League side will have sufficient knowledge of a central midfielder who's played less than 20 games for a mid table Ligue 2 side?

Especially in contrast to the scouting and recruitment department, whose job it is to, well, scout and recruit?

Interesting

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

So you think that the First Team coach of a Premier League side will have sufficient knowledge of a central midfielder who's played less than 20 games for a mid table Ligue 2 side?

Especially in contrast to the scouting and recruitment department, whose job it is to, well, scout and recruit?

Interesting

I would expect if you were the first team coach of a Premier League side, you would receive regular reports from the scouting dept regarding all the monitored prospects.

I also would expect you to watch some of the games to assess for yourself these prospects.