cambridgeshire canary

Buendia off to Atletico/Valencia, Lewis off to Palace, Cantwell off too..?

Only club I can remember him being linked with was Liverpool.. Well, Sheffield United and there 10 Million bid too but I'm ignoring that pisstake.

But then I can only see him on the bench at Liverpool- He's a great player with a bright future but I don't see him straight away starting for the Champions League winners and leuage winners.

What clubs do you think would suit cantwell best? Which clubs would you like to see at should he move?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Only club I can remember him being linked with was Liverpool.. Well, Sheffield United and there 10 Million bid too but I'm ignoring that pisstake.

But then I can only see him on the bench at Liverpool- He's a great player with a bright future but I don't see him straight away starting for the Champions League winners and leuage winners.

What club do you think would suit cantwell best? Which clubs would you like to see at should he move?

Norwich City FC

• Like 3

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up somewhere like Everton or maybe Palace with Lewis.

Palace midfield hasn't changed much over the last few years and players like McArthur and McArthey are not going to progress further whereas Cantwell will.

The one thing I wouldn't discount is a move abroad, it now seems to be far more of an option for players now than a few years ago when in the main it was just the bigger names to bigger clubs, Sancho seems to have opened the eyes that young English talent is an option, look at Bellingham as an example.

I think Cantwell would get kicked to bits in the Championship, Buendia too

Even if they do spend time on the bench, it is a great opportunity. 

We are saying we don't need to sell but the restart has given us a debt we weren't expecting. 

We have others who will be good in the Champs. 

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Emi seemed to cope very nicely last season. Its not like he was an unknown quantity for too long.

If they can't get near you, they can't kick you.

• Like 1

If you'd had offered me £10 million for Todd at the start of this season I would have laughed all the way to the bank.

Such was his rate of development this season, I'll still take 10 million (with a sell on clause), but slightly grumble about it on the way to the bank.

58 minutes ago, Orly said:

If you'd had offered me £10 million for Todd at the start of this season I would have laughed all the way to the bank.

Such was his rate of development this season, I'll still take 10 million (with a sell on clause), but slightly grumble about it on the way to the bank.

To be fair when he first started playing for us he was pretty awful.

Hell of an improvement since then.

1 hour ago, curious yellow said:

Does that happen nowadays? Maybe 10 or 15 years ago, but I don't think big lumps in the Championship can get away with just booting the opposition's flair players any more.

1 hour ago, Orly said:

I'd have taken £10m at the start of the season, but I'd never take it now. I wouldn't entertain offers of less than double that now- £20-25m bracket for me, based on his performances and goal tally this season and the fact he's homegrown.

I can see why Liverpool would want him- Lallana is out of contract and Cantwell would be a young like-for-like replacement who meets the homegrown criteria.

• Like 2

If you had a choice of £15k a week in the Championship or £50k a week in the Premier League what would you do? If it was me I would be off. It may be the only chance they ever get 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If you had a choice of £15k a week in the Championship or £50k a week in the Premier League what would you do? If it was me I would be off. It may be the only chance they ever get 

if sensible a move to a PL can set you up for life 

One move is all it takes signing on fee plus 4 year contract @ 50 k instead of 15 k 

a career can be very short look at Dean Ashton 

Tbh it depends what is actually in offer.  As a footballer I would absolutely hate not playing, so to move just for the money would not be a great move.  Ultimately, it could come down to other things, money isn’t the only motivation for everyone and some might see having one more season playing regularly at NCFC as what they ‘need’.  
At the end of the day none of the players are badly paid, talk on here is about £15k a week is as if that is peanuts - in comparison to the PL it will be low - but it’s still plenty in the real world where a salary of £800k pa is a lot. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Cantwell is a PL type player and deserves to stay there for a team suited to his talents i.e. a team playing football.  In the championship he will be targeted and is too slight to survive a championship season of three games a week which could ruin him.

42 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

if sensible a move to a PL can set you up for life 

A career in the Championship can set you up for life.

It also depends on how much more focussed the coaching would be at City.

PL clubs want the 'finished article' that is why they pay what they do. Cantwell's development has not been his alone. and it maybe thought that another season under Farke would do more than following the path of the Murphy's or Gunn.

As to the notion of what type of team that is rather silly, given how managers are so frequently sacked, and what might be seen as 'your team' becomes one entirely different under the next manager

I'm sure the players will be on a huge promotion bonus again which might dampen the desire to move for financial reasons. Good that Webber's getting in quick to strengthen the squad- should be raising spirits and levels of belief.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yep, totally agree. An injury can come along at any time and that can be the career over.

I have no problem with any of them going, we will receive good money and hopefully clauses that again help in later seasons.

If they do well elsewhere fair enough but I do not care if they sit on a bench. It is the same with the Murphy lads, it worked perfectly for us. Sold them when others felt they were getting them at the right time.

All I care about is that when we have assets we move them on wisely for the benefit of us. Once they have signed I only care about the financial bonus for us and how we use that for the sustainability of the club.

Roll on the rumours and interest. I hope we can move the lads on quickly for their sake but mainly so we can plan and get as much of a preseason in as possible.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I can see why Liverpool would want him- Lallana is out of contract and Cantwell would be a young like-for-like replacement who meets the homegrown criteria.

I hear this a lot, and I don't necessarily disagree- but I don't see why they wouldn't instead invest the time in Curtis Jones who can do everything Todd can, and is from their own academy. Their fans adore their own.

Either way you would be starving Jones of a bigger role or using 15-20 million to waste Cantwells early career. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd have taken £10m at the start of the season, but I'd never take it now. I wouldn't entertain offers of less than double that now- £20-25m bracket for me, based on his performances and goal tally this season and the fact he's homegrown.

Agreed. No chance we take 10mil now.

I mentioned on FTW’s contracts thread that we might be tempted to cash in on Cantwell - he’s only got 2 years left on his contract (all the young defenders have three or four). So whatever happens this season, we likely won’t be in a strong bargaining position next summer - if he has a storming season, he’s only got one year left so he still goes cheaper than he might have done, if he has a terrible season, his value plummets from what it is now. And as much as I like him, he’s more easily replaceable than Buendia. If we get an offer of 20mil for Cantwell I think we take it. 10 no chance, risk it next summer.

Edited by Aggy

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I hear this a lot, and I don't necessarily disagree- but I don't see why they wouldn't instead invest the time in Curtis Jones who can do everything Todd can, and is from their own academy. Their fans adore their own.

Either way you would be starving Jones of a bigger role or using 15-20 million to waste Cantwells early career. 

Also a very good point, and they have players like Harvey Elliott and Harry Wilson knocking about as well. 

Maybe they don't feel that Shaqiri has a long term future? Has Minamino convinced? I honestly have no idea what the answers to those two questions are and I have no idea what Liverpool's plans are.

Personally i hope Todd stays here for the next season at least, his career could easily follow the same path as the Murphy's by moving too soon. In Madders we had a player where it would have stifled his career by him staying, in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

That's a really interesting point and someone also mentioned Harry Wilson.

Wilson I can't see ever playing for Liverpool, 2 seasons of loans and not really set the world on fire this season with Bournemouth. With Jones he's looked really impressive but he's not really been tested so I suspect they'll want to send him out on loan also to see how he copes with week in week out, same with Harvey Elliott (who I'd bet goes back to Leeds)

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

£50k a year would also be great!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

A career in the Championship can set you up for life.

And that’s the difference, a career in the Championship, 10-12 years maybe or one transfer to a top club where you could get injured the day after but still get your full contract paid, no brainer to me  I’m afraid.

10 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

And that’s the difference, a career in the Championship, 10-12 years maybe or one transfer to a top club where you could get injured the day after but still get your full contract paid, no brainer to me  I’m afraid.

Not being funny mate but if a player can't set themselves up for life with £15k a week for 3 or 4 years then they may be a bit dim. 

National average salary about £30k, earning that every two weeks for a few years should be plenty if invested sensibly. 

No excuse for them not have a fast growing property portfolio by 25, earn enough for a BTL deposit each month. 

But I do get it, they usually blow all their cash on £1000 man bags, girls, luxury villas, cars instead. 

But I also do get that I'm talking as a Norwich fan thinking of playing for Norwich, and Jamal Lewis, Max Aarons, Ben Godfrey,... they aren't born into Norwich supporting families, they weren't going to Carrow Road at 8 years old with Norwich posters all over their walls, asking for a Norwich shirt for Christmas, weren't dreaming of wearing yellow and green when playing with their mates in the park. So of course, we're just their employer, they want to progress and that's not only about money but hopefully also about a desire for greatness and trophies.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Which is why the one big pay day is so important, who knows what money these guys were on before their newest contract, and none of the ones likely to move are 25 yet are they (I Haven’t checked)?

6 hours ago, Bill said:

It also depends on how much more focussed the coaching would be at City.

PL clubs want the 'finished article' that is why they pay what they do. Cantwell's development has not been his alone. and it maybe thought that another season under Farke would do more than following the path of the Murphy's or Gunn.

As to the notion of what type of team that is rather silly, given how managers are so frequently sacked, and what might be seen as 'your team' becomes one entirely different under the next manager

Any Hope of Gunn ore the Murphys back Next season?

Todd hasn't done enough yet.    Buendia puts chances on a plate regularly..... Todd doesn't do that yet, his creativity needs to improve.   Farke has improved many players and so they should continue to develop wiht us     There is a definite risk of moving and the career floundering if not selected.   Emi in particular looks to be very emotionally wound up and not playing (selected) could take its toll on him.     

Best they stay here and we sell our weaker performers..... 

4 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Buendia puts chances on a plate regularly..... Todd doesn't do that yet, his creativity needs to improve.   

Comparing Buendia and Todd is like comparing mash potato and chips. They might have their similarities, but they are fundamentally very different.